Outdoor public ranges [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor public ranges

crashwg
05-18-2012, 00:53
I believe teaching kids about gun safety is more than "don't touch" and I would like to get my kids out shooting but there just doesn't seem to be anywhere near by for me to do that.

I'm an apartment dweller so no land of my own. The only family that owns property is too boxed in to shoot in any direction. That leaves shooting ranges I guess.

Problem is the only ranges I know about are indoors and fairly expensive. At $16/hr that's $32/hr if I only bring one kid (which I would do in the beginning but surely would like to bring two in a year or two.) Not to mention the tight quarters in which I'd have to give instruction... Ugh. :upeyes:

So is there anything like I'm looking for near Concord, NH?
It's illegal to just go target shooting on public land right?

FTjoe
05-18-2012, 06:42
our local indoor range has parent/child days on fridays so any parent that brings a child (under 18yo) gets the lane for free that day. normal fee is $15 per lane for a max of two shooters per lane. and thats all day for $15. see if any of the local indoor ranges would do that in order for parents to teach kids the safe practices of shooting while getting in some shooting time too.

as far as outdoor ranges, are there any private clubs that you can join where you can go during less popular times (ie, less crowded times) and teach/shoot one-on-one? initial membership may be a bit pricey, but worth it in the end especially if you can bring a guest for free.

vafish
05-18-2012, 06:46
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Links/fish_and_game_clubs.htm

Another option is to check local vfw and American Legion posts, many have junior rifle programs.

Cmp lists affiliated clubs

http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubSearchSubmit.cgi

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

FL Airedale
05-18-2012, 06:57
Did you check with the local ranges to see if it is $16 per hour per person even if you share the lane?

My local range is $14 per hour for one person but it's only $20 per hour for the lane when 2 people share it.

There is an outdoor public range in the Ocala National Forest about 30 miles from where I live. It's free but I don't like shooting there. It's not supervised and I've seen too many idiots handling guns irresponsibly.

Since I don't want to get in an argument with an armed idiot, I just leave.

Urban_Redneck
05-18-2012, 08:21
NH has done a good job protecting it's gun clubs. Ask around at some gun shops and check the NRA's Places to Shoot, I'm sure you are closer to several ranges than you thought.

Two quick tips 1. Don't procrastinate, most clubs require you to attend at least 1 monthly meeting to join. 2. The cleaner the range, the more comfortable you will be bringing your kids.

Good luck

Jim