My 17 year old Golden Retriever [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My 17 year old Golden Retriever

HerrGlock
05-18-2012, 02:14
Goes to the vet for the last time today.

In 1995, during the Hillsville Flea Market and Gun Show one of the Cana Fire Department medics was driving around in a golf cart (this flea market is about 2 miles wide and 3 miles long) with a blonde fluff ball with black eyes and nose. We were taking a break from walking and I asked the guy, "Hey, if your dog needs pet I've got two sons who might be up for the job."

As he brought her over to meet the boys, the medic said, "Someone abandoned her about a month ago. She's had her shots, is spayed and loves people. We're actually trying to find her a home."

Uhhhtttt ohhhh, what did I just do?

So, short story, I ended up with a fluffy, 3 month old, dog, a leash, water dish and $20 to buy food with because I saw a critter dog and figured my boys might like to give her attention.

She can't stand up by herself any more if she's on the tile floor and she walks like a drunk because her legs don't work all that well. During the weekend of my last race instead of leaving her with mom I left her with the vet and asked the vet to give her a physical to see if it was all as bad as it seemed. It is.

Vet said she's never seen a 17 year old Golden before and it's obvious she's well taken care of so I got that to make me feel slightly better about this decision.

This sucks.

http://ankylosaur.com/webpicsdir/animals/smallpicliznmae.jpg

TBO
05-18-2012, 02:25
Warm thoughts from the north.
Our 4 legged friends are truly the best.
They give unconditional love, and ask nothing in return.
I had to recently put down my faithful companion due to cancer.

All the best

TBO

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk 2

TSAX
05-18-2012, 02:29
Times like this are tough, I hope you can take some comfort in remembering the many good memories that have been had with the dog. Best wishes to your family

:50cal:

Foxtrotx1
05-18-2012, 03:40
She is pretty. My prayers and thoughts.

fx77
05-18-2012, 06:07
My last pup made it ot 14...I miss her every day

FL Airedale
05-18-2012, 06:49
My heartfelt condolences.

We keep 4 dogs at a time and I've had to make that last trip to the vet many times. It's never easy.

The fact that your GR lived to 17 means you took very good care of her.

Rest assured that you are doing the kind thing.

Dinky
05-18-2012, 07:18
Not an easy thing.....good thoughts are on the way:crying:

rilkil23
05-18-2012, 07:36
My heart goes out to you. I had to put Dorie Dog down in February and have since adopted two more Basset Hounds. Rosie is crazy and Sarge is just plain perfect. I still miss my buddy and hope you are doing ok.

dango
05-18-2012, 08:04
You just made me cry , I don't like to cry , bad for the tuffer than nails image . Very , very sorry for your loss !

tous
05-18-2012, 09:51
My heartfelt condolences, amigo.
Having lost many companions, I find comfort in remembering the years of joy they gave me when it is their time to pass on.

:hugs:

janice6
05-18-2012, 10:03
I'm so sorry for you. I know what you are going through and nothing will make it easier.

It's such a privilege to have an animals devotion and affection and a tragedy to lose.

Just think how blessed you were for having the animal grace your household for as long as you had her. Love doesn't stop with her passing.

Bless you for being a good pack leader.

smith10
05-18-2012, 15:40
I am so sorry sir.

smokin762
05-18-2012, 16:54
It's a very sad time when this happens. Best wishes.

bernie herd
05-18-2012, 19:18
I had to put my dog to sleep on April 25th due to a very rapid illness. I had that dog for nearly eight years and she slept by my wife and I every night. I almost feel like I've lost one of my children. I know how you feel. Sorry to hear. Very tough. I'm tearing up as I write this.

SpectreRider
05-18-2012, 19:31
A selfish man would try to put it off. You made the kinder and more difficult choice.

I feel for your loss and respect your strength.

G19Tony
05-23-2012, 12:31
Just saw this Dan. I'm sorry for your loss. :crying: 17 years. That's a good run. It sounds like she had a great home and a great life. :crying:

davsco
05-23-2012, 13:12
A selfish man would try to put it off. You made the kinder and more difficult choice.

I feel for your loss and respect your strength.

+100 been there done that, so sorry for you

harleygsb
05-23-2012, 13:32
So sorry to hear that. I had to do that with my 15 year old lab a year ago and it was the toughest thing I have ever done. I really feel for you. My condolences.

Harley

OSSI
05-23-2012, 15:09
I know how you feel. Went through this 3 times myself.
But it is the only right thing to do. The pain will eventually go. The memories stay for ever.
Good vibes on the way Mate

69stingray
05-23-2012, 20:50
:angel: sorry, been there myself not an easy thing to do even when you know you're doing the right thing...........

Ray

Cletus
05-24-2012, 00:38
Sorry for your loss. I love my dogs more than most humans. I have lost two in the past and you never get over it. But it gets easier with time. Helps to get another puppy as well. My 110lb husky is 11 and still going strong. He still runs away if a door or gate is left open. I'm sure you had 17 great years.

Rick O'Shay
05-24-2012, 05:45
Such a beautiful dog....sorry you have to be the strong one.

The only animals I can seem to have for that long are mixed-breed cats. I have two that have to be lifted to their food table now (I have dogs who'll eat anything!).

You'll miss your blondie for sure, but you have given her a good life.
Hugs to your family, from SC.

HerrGlock
05-24-2012, 06:02
Thanks all! I think I'm going to take a bit to quit stepping a bit higher to clear the dog when walking upstairs but it'll get there.

The only animals I can seem to have for that long are mixed-breed cats. I have two that have to be lifted to their food table now (I have dogs who'll eat anything!).

Mae, the golden, would eat the cat food whenever it was out so I put one of those cat doors in a bathroom door and fed the cats there. The cats can use the door, Mae was too big to get through. It worked :thumbsup:

Lynn D
05-24-2012, 06:34
Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. A good life was enjoyed by you all, and you are all the more rich for it. Peace. :hugs:

HandyMan Hugh
05-24-2012, 07:26
I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your very good friend. It just plain 'ol hurts when that happens.

m2hmghb
05-24-2012, 16:58
I'm sorry for your loss. It will get better in time, but right now is when it hurts the most. I still miss my old dog, Sparky. My step grandfather found him in a box of spark plugs at the tire factory where he worked. My Collie is 12 years old next month, and she's having bad problems with her paws. We have to lift her up stairs sometimes, she's not in much pain, she's on medications for that and still has the brain of a puppy.

owl6roll
05-24-2012, 23:17
Know how you feel. End of March, had to take the Boxer to the vet. I'm 45 years old and everyone in the vet's office knew I cried, heck ALL the women were crying, when I walked into the lobby. You never forget a good dog.

MstrPara
05-25-2012, 12:04
17 years isn't a good run......it's a GREAT one! You've obviously given that pup a great life, and for that you should be proud.

Know it doesn't help at this point, and I'm sorry for your loss.

JuneyBooney
05-25-2012, 20:17
Goes to the vet for the last time today.

In 1995, during the Hillsville Flea Market and Gun Show one of the Cana Fire Department medics was driving around in a golf cart (this flea market is about 2 miles wide and 3 miles long) with a blonde fluff ball with black eyes and nose. We were taking a break from walking and I asked the guy, "Hey, if your dog needs pet I've got two sons who might be up for the job."

As he brought her over to meet the boys, the medic said, "Someone abandoned her about a month ago. She's had her shots, is spayed and loves people. We're actually trying to find her a home."

Uhhhtttt ohhhh, what did I just do?

So, short story, I ended up with a fluffy, 3 month old, dog, a leash, water dish and $20 to buy food with because I saw a critter dog and figured my boys might like to give her attention.

She can't stand up by herself any more if she's on the tile floor and she walks like a drunk because her legs don't work all that well. During the weekend of my last race instead of leaving her with mom I left her with the vet and asked the vet to give her a physical to see if it was all as bad as it seemed. It is.

Vet said she's never seen a 17 year old Golden before and it's obvious she's well taken care of so I got that to make me feel slightly better about this decision.

This sucks.

http://ankylosaur.com/webpicsdir/animals/smallpicliznmae.jpg

Cute dog and kitty. I only know of one old retriever and he walks with arthritis etc but the family that owns him helps him around. I am sure you have done very well with your helping of your "best friend". Sorry to hear that she will be gone but those things are inevitable. :crying:

19shooter
05-26-2012, 19:40
I am so sorry that you lost your dear friend. We had a beagle that made it to 15 and putting her down was very, very hard. Not sure I could own another dog after what we had to go through with Daisy. Going through it once was hard...don't want to do that again. All I can say in condolence is that time heals these wounds and before long all you'll remember is the good times.

UtahIrishman
05-26-2012, 19:47
Herr Glock My deepest sympathies.