Who makes the best pepper spray now? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the best pepper spray now?

MrsKitty
05-18-2012, 09:10
The last time I compared, Fox was the best. Are they still?

8-Ball
05-18-2012, 09:16
Fox or Vexor.

I don't have any personal experience with the Vexor, but 15,000,000 SHU is pretty damn hot! I've heard good things about it.

johnd
05-18-2012, 09:54
http://www.pepperenforcement.com/law_enforcement.htm

They make a true 10% spray that will burn the skin. My Dept uses a 0.03% ASR by comparison.

I bought the 10% for all my family as it WILL put the bad guy/gal down

fresnofishfan
05-18-2012, 10:13
Who makes the best a civi can buy??
The 10% says LEO only.

lwt210
05-18-2012, 10:20
I have sprayed and been sprayed with several different brands over the years working in LE. In my first academy, I could even "help" the other cadets when they got sprayed as the stuff they were using on us wasn't really affecting me that much.

Figured I was pretty well immune to the stuff....until Sabre Red came along.

They issued that stuff to us on the last go around/change. First guy I had to hose with it, a teeny bit got on me (par for the course) and it was by far the worst I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

10 percent Oleoresin Capsicum.....2 million SHU's (scoville heat units, IIRC).

I hate the stuff. I try never to spray anyone with it unless I absolutely have to.

http://www.sabrered.com/servlet/the-SABRE-Red-Pepper-Sprays/Categories

HOTHEAD
05-18-2012, 10:36
I like UDAP

http://www.udap.com/Clip-On-Commander.htm

Specifications:
Active Ingredients 3.0% Capsaicin & Related Capsaicinoids
15% Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) red pepper
3 million scoville heat units (SHU)
Highly visible Spray
Ozone safe- non-flammable
Shotgun blast spray pattern
Oil-based-powerful Cone Spray

8-Ball
05-18-2012, 11:34
... it was by far the worst I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

10 percent Oleoresin Capsicum.....2 million SHU's (scoville heat units, IIRC).

I hate the stuff. I try never to spray anyone with it unless I absolutely have to.

Try 15 million. :supergrin:

http://www.zarc.com/us/professional/

truetopath
05-18-2012, 11:45
I carry Police Magnum OC-17..I was able to find it on amazon pretty cheap and gave it a test spray when it arrived. Well you know the old saying don't pee into the wind, well I can tell you the same thing goes for pepper spray, and this stuff is hot!!

DScottHewitt
05-18-2012, 11:53
http://www.coldsteel.com/pepper-spray.html

BrazosCoTX
05-18-2012, 12:11
My probation department uses FOX. 5 mil SHU. During a recent certification exercise, no one said they didn't get enough!

RichJ
05-18-2012, 13:27
I like UDAP

http://www.udap.com/Clip-On-Commander.htm

Specifications:
Active Ingredients 3.0% Capsaicin & Related Capsaicinoids
15% Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) red pepper
3 million scoville heat units (SHU)
Highly visible Spray
Ozone safe- non-flammable
Shotgun blast spray pattern
Oil-based-powerful Cone Spray

I've read several places that 10% OC is the maximum % allowed by law.

Moravia
05-19-2012, 11:14
Sabre Red. Can't say I've been sprayed with anything else, but GOD DAMN is this stuff terrible. Got it in the academy and again recently during an incident, both times were the worst experience I have ever had. This was my face -----> :steamed:

My eyes also slammed shut in pain.

Mr Spock
05-19-2012, 12:20
Tagged

Henry's Dad
05-19-2012, 13:27
I have sprayed and been sprayed with several different brands over the years working in LE. In my first academy, I could even "help" the other cadets when they got sprayed as the stuff they were using on us wasn't really affecting me that much.

As a LEO, do you find it to be a useful exercise to get sprayed with the stuff? How much does it "prepare" LEOs for anything, or is it more of a rite of passage for cadets?

Silly analogy, but here goes: LEOs carry guns, but I'm guessing they don't shoot you in the academy? Do they beat you with the nightsticks or batons you'll have to carry? :dunno:

deputy tom
05-19-2012, 13:32
As a LEO, do you find it to be a useful exercise to get sprayed with the stuff? How much does it "prepare" LEOs for anything, or is it more of a rite of passage for cadets?

Silly analogy, but here goes: LEOs carry guns, but I'm guessing they don't shoot you in the academy? Do they beat you with the nightsticks or batons you'll have to carry? :dunno:

The idea was to have you experience what it would be like to get sprayed and try to carry on during your course of duty. We all had to get sprayed and received documentation for it. tom.:crying:

I got reprimanded one time for not wearing the spray on my duty belt. My reasoning was it takes much more wind to blow a black jack three feet than mace or OC and hurt the little old lady waiting for a bus.tom.

8-Ball
05-19-2012, 13:34

You don't get shot by your own gun pretty much everytime you pull the trigger. You do, on the other hand, get blasted by your own OC pretty much everytime you pull the trigger.

You have to know what to expect because you ARE going to taste it at some point. Better to get a sense of it in a training environment.

deputy tom
05-19-2012, 13:40

Fox or Saber. Check out this site.tom.:cool:

http://www.redhotpepperspray.com/pepper-spray-laws.html

itisbruno
05-19-2012, 14:36
I am glad you started this thread, MK

Sig Junkie
05-19-2012, 15:14
i would go with sabre red crossfire.

i don't trust fox because it will melt styro cups and vexor issues trainer certs online.

NewWaveGuy
05-19-2012, 16:02
So, if I have to use pepper spray, I should count on getting hit with some myself, that sucks!

truetopath
05-19-2012, 16:06
So, if I have to use pepper spray, I should count on getting hit with some myself, that sucks!

Test fired mine, ate some of it, but I feel it better prepared me if I actually have to use it in a SD situation because at least now I know how my body's going to react...

OdinIII
05-19-2012, 16:14

And it'll be with you for days if you get much on you!

NEOH212
05-19-2012, 16:45

I will attest that Fox Labs is pretty damn hot! I currently carry Saber Red.

(They were out of Fox the last time I purchased some.)

The Saber Red is right up there though! I've been hit with them both (self inflicted:wow:) and I will attest to the fact that they work and burn like the fires of hell!

You will be served well with either brand.

jdavionic
05-19-2012, 18:43
My family has stuck with FoxLabs.

lunarspeak
05-19-2012, 19:00
im going to be bold enough to say i have prob maced more people then anyone on here..

as a bouncer at a hip hop club that was 70% butch lesbians..i had to mace over 80 people in the 14 months i worked there.

the mace i was given to use was in yellow container with spanish writeing on it and no name,and while im sure there were hotter brands out there,this stuff would stick to clothes like glue,,

a fellow femal bouncer had gotten some in her weave and two ndays later she could still feel the effects when she would wash it and the mace would run down her face..

OdinIII
05-19-2012, 19:54
a fellow femal bouncer had gotten some in her weave and two ndays later she could still feel the effects when she would wash it and the mace would run down her face..

I had an LE friend spray my hand with his Fox OC. It was a tall black can. He sprayed my right hand and we washed it off after about a minute. That night in bed my left arm and the right side of my face was on fire along with my right hand. It took until the evening of the third day before I could wash my hands or shower without pain.

I'm not sure of the rating of this Fox but it was some bad stuff!

okie642
05-27-2012, 22:58
I have carried many brands and I am OC certified. I have been sprayed with Sabre Red, Sabre OC+CS, MSI OC+CN and First Defense 10% OC. All were very unpleasant and caused the involuntary physiological effects OC is known for. However, at our Taser certification class we had some deputies from a nearby county who said they were not satisfied with Sabre Red H20 (Blue label) water based spray. This individual informed me they had recently switched to Fox Labs 5.3 and they were getting very positive results. I did some online research and found that many many instructors, civilians and LE personnel spoke very highly of Fox Labs. So I decided to pick up a few canisters and do my own backyard testing. I figured it was like any other product.

BOY WAS I WRONG! When I sprayed the Fox cone spray and walked into the cloud it instantly felt like my mouth, throat and lungs were being burned. I struggled to get air and I was forced to move to fresh air. The burning sensation in my eyes was the most painful I had ever experienced. It was as if I had never been exposed to OC before. Hands down, the Fox 5.3 was the most effective OC spray I have to date ever been exposed to. There are many good brands out there including Vexor, Punch II, Cap Stun, Saber Red (BLACK LABEL DPS OIL BASED CONE NOT WATER BASED BLUE LABEL) and Counter Assault. However, I can say with 100% confidence that Fox Labs 5.3 is the most brutal OC spray I have ever been exposed to. I don't care what the numbers or lab tests say ( Sabre claims to be hotter than Fox)

I also found that the best sprays use a lower concentration of Oleoresin Capsicum with a high SHU or Heat rating. The lower % of oil allows the spray to atomize better therefore making it more effective and faster acting. I don't recommend anything over 5% OC. Fox Labs, Punch II and Vexor all contain 5% or less oil. The SHU rating should be between 2 million and 5.3 million for best results with a minimum of .7% Capsaicinoids. I also strongly recommend you carry the flip top 2, 3 or 4 ounce unit with you in the cone pattern. The key chain units simply don't have enough spray in my opinion. The Fox Stream is also a good choice but I prefer cone because it has a wider impact pattern and really gets down in the respiratory system. You should also keep a Kubotan on your key chain as a back up for close quarter deployment.

I order my Fox Labs from either Defense Devices (excellent customer service and fast shipping) or Galls (excellent service, fast shipping but prices are a tad higher).

Hope this helps

jljbtm
10-10-2012, 21:46
We bought some for our daughter who is away at school is there any advice to give her on how/when to use it? besides the obvious 1. spray in their face 2. be sure you are upwind....

Lone Wolf8634
10-10-2012, 22:04

Yup.

I had to be sprayed to work in the facility that I do. (corrections...sort of).

The idea is to learn to take the spray and still be able to do your job. So we were sprayed in the face made to do an obstacle course and then choose the right person in a crowd, subdue them and cuff them (As a team of two with no resistance from the subject).

It wasn't pleasant but it was possible.

majorminor45
10-11-2012, 09:26
FOX labs.

Mushinto
10-11-2012, 09:56
In my experience, Mace and Fox are the best. You do not need anything over 5%. The bad guy will not feel any difference and decontamination is more dificult as the % goes up.

swinokur
10-11-2012, 11:07
Sabre Red gel.

Bren
10-11-2012, 11:24
Who makes the best a civi can buy??
The 10% says LEO only.

Putting that on the label is no more than a marketing gimmick to sell to more civilians, unless your state law or a store policy backs it up.

boomhower
10-11-2012, 18:09
We still use Fox. Have yet to find someone that didn't react. I know he may be out there but haven't found one yet.

Mr. Blandings
10-12-2012, 08:23
Looking for first hand reports of using OC/pepper spray for defense during an attack.

PM me please.

Thanks.

itstime
10-12-2012, 08:36
We carry Fox. Great stuff. No experience with Sabre. Only heard great stuff from them.