Buying 29sf. could use some tips. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buying 29sf. could use some tips.

JeremyInMT
05-18-2012, 11:14
Hi folks. I've been a lurker here for awhile because I was looking to get a handgun for camping and home protection. I was at a gun show here in Montana and a guy was showing me his 20c. He let me hold it and I was intrigued. So here I am. I decided that if I want to get my CC at some point, the 29 would be good. I was able to hold the 30 and 30sf at a store and determined that the sf was the route to go with my 29 since they are the same lower from what I have read here. I bought some double-tap 200gr and 230gr hard cast for taking camping and bought some underwood (165, 180, 200) for learning how to handle hot loads. Would have bought sampfox, but....:( Anyway, since it will be a little while before my 29sf is in, I was wondering if there are any mods that would be good to do, as the parts are a bit cheaper if I purchase them installed. Anyway, thanks for any info and I am really excited to get my pistol!

chemboy
05-18-2012, 11:39
Only mods I have done on my 29s(three of 'em including 2 SF's) is Pearce +0 extensions on the magazines. Makes 'em more comfortable to shoot, especially with hot loads.
One thing else you may want to do is order the weapon with night sights installed. I think you can save some money that way, though not sure exactly how much.

Enjoy, the 29SF is a great gun.
:cool:

JeremyInMT
05-18-2012, 11:44
what kind of night sights would you recommend? when I look, there are like 15 different kinds! :) I don't know which brand is best or if green/green is better/worse than green/yellow?

I do actually have the pearce +0's for them to install. I know the stainless steel guide rod is $35 for them to install vs $43 for me to just buy one. I don't know if that matters or not though.

chemboy
05-18-2012, 11:49
what kind of night sights would you recommend? when I look, there are like 15 different kinds! :) I don't know which brand is best or if green/green is better/worse than green/yellow?

I do actually have the pearce +0's for them to install. I know the stainless steel guide rod is $35 for them to install vs $43 for me to just buy one. I don't know if that matters or not though.

I have always liked Trijicons, though they are a bit pricey(~90 bucks for the fixed variety).
I have never tried bi-color tritiums, but I think the yellow rears with a green front in the Trijicon would be the catsazz for the 29. In fact, I am thinking about doing that very combination for my 29SF.
I think you can order your 29 with Glock night sights(True dot?), pretty sure these are made by Meprolight, and are fairly inexpensive.

As for an aftermarket guide rod/spring assembly, I would shoot your rig with stock stuff for a while, you may find you don't need any aftermarket setup. Also, the newest 29SF "Batch" or whatever, has the new Gen4 type recoil spring assembly-which may be better than the old style plastic rod RSA.

Anyway, have fun!

JeremyInMT
05-18-2012, 12:01
That's good to know that the gen4 spring stuff is in them. I'll look at the sights offered. The different colors would probably be nice. Also if they would throw in 1000rds of ammo with the purchase? ;)

Would it be good to get some cheapy ammo too so I could put a couple hundred rounds through it to loosen things up?

chemboy
05-18-2012, 13:59
That's good to know that the gen4 spring stuff is in them. I'll look at the sights offered. The different colors would probably be nice. Also if they would throw in 1000rds of ammo with the purchase? ;)

Would it be good to get some cheapy ammo too so I could put a couple hundred rounds through it to loosen things up?

Cheap ammo in 10mm is a bit hard to come by these days! However, if you do a search, I think someone on "The Ten Ring" posted a link to a place online that sells new manufacture practice ammo for a pretty good price.

JeremyInMT
05-18-2012, 16:09
I'll have to do some more checking. I saw that BVAC has some relatively cheap ammo and they are a few hours up the road from me so shipping might not be too bad as well.

WeeWilly
05-18-2012, 17:31
I just mounted a set of Truglo TFO's on my G20SF. They are the yellow rear/green front setup. I had only had green/green in these and other night sights, so when I got them on and first brought the gun up in low light I was disappointed. The front sight really pops and the rears seem kind of dull.

I have shot them twice since I mounted them, from now on I will get yellow rear green fronts, much quicker to pick up, much better results. In low light there is no doubt where the front sight is.

dm1906
05-18-2012, 19:01
I just mounted a set of Truglo TFO's on my G20SF. They are the yellow rear/green front setup. I had only had green/green in these and other night sights, so when I got them on and first brought the gun up in low light I was disappointed. The front sight really pops and the rears seem kind of dull.

I have shot them twice since I mounted them, from now on I will get yellow rear green fronts, much quicker to pick up, much better results. In low light there is no doubt where the front sight is.

I also have the TFO sights (yellow/green/FO) on my G20. After carrying and shooting with Trijicons for years, I gotta say I'm impressed. Not at first, because they take some getting used to. No doubt, there's no doubt what the front end of the iron is up to. The sights seem to appear the same in any lighting condition. Bright, but not too bright, and no halo. Target acquisition is quick. Quicker than with Trijicons.

WeeWilly
05-18-2012, 21:51
... Not at first, because they take some getting used to. No doubt, there's no doubt what the front end of the iron is up to. The sights seem to appear the same in any lighting condition. Bright, but not too bright, and no halo. Target acquisition is quick. Quicker than with Trijicons.

My experience exactly. The front even stayed put after I used the blue stuff. ;)

dm1906
05-18-2012, 22:20
My experience exactly. The front even stayed put after I used the blue stuff. ;)

Mine too. Funny how things happen, sometimes....

22 glock NC
05-19-2012, 10:24
I just recently got my G29 and love it !! dont know why i waited this long for the 10mm and as weewilly stated the TruGlo sights seem to be the best had them put on my 29 and one of the best things added so far !

JeremyInMT
05-21-2012, 09:36
Thanks for the tips here. I will probably get the night sights installed and leave most of the other stuff stock for now.

KenMac
05-21-2012, 17:04
Just shoot it ..........often!!! You'll love it!

JeremyInMT
05-21-2012, 17:06
Just shoot it ..........often!!! You'll love it!

I plan on it! I actually received my double-tap ammo today (200gr and 230gr) for when I go camping. My underwood is on the way as well. Now if only we can get the gun here soon! C'mon Glock, crank 'em out!