Do You Use Grease on Your Handguns?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do You Use Grease on Your Handguns??

Nalapombu
05-18-2012, 15:12
Hey all,

I was cleaning a couple of my handguns yesterday and going through my cleaning box. I noticed I had a couple different types of grease and at one time I know I had some Wilsons Ultima Lube. That got me thinking. How many shooters actually use grease in their handguns?

Do you?

Nalajr

deputy tom
05-18-2012, 15:20
I use Weaponshield grease and CLP on my guns.tom.:cool:

P35
05-18-2012, 15:23
I use the Wilson's grease on my "wet" pistols

chewybaca67
05-18-2012, 16:07
I forget the brand offhand, not at home right now, but I made a mix of the red grease with some Rem. gun lub and that's been working good the last few years. Especially for long term storage of some pistols and long arms. It's not too goopy and not so runny that it bleeds off after a while.

HexHead
05-18-2012, 16:14
I use my Garand grease, Lubriplate, on the rails of my handguns. "If it slides, grease it."

fnfalman
05-18-2012, 16:35
Why would I use grease on my firearms? I wanna shoot'em, not to have sex with'em.

Nakanokalronin
05-18-2012, 16:43
I like the consistent "helpful input" some members have on this forum. :upeyes:

I always use grease on the rails and oil everywhere else on my semi-autos. The grease I use is by Militec. It doesn't attract dirt, dry out, it stays put and lubes very well.

K.Kiser
05-18-2012, 16:48
I've used all the oils that everyone says doesn't work, with complete success but never used grease... Grease has nothing left to prove from a lubricity standpoint and is probably a good idea in a weapon that doesn't see real dusty and dirty enviroments...

countrygun
05-18-2012, 16:52
I use a light grease on the rails of all my semis and i still use the old "gunslick" on the friction points of a revolver.

ColdSteelNail
05-18-2012, 16:57
I clean and lube my handguns with CLP. But I always use TW-25b grease on the rails. Why? Because Sig recommends it and includes a sample of it with their new guns. I'm comfortable with it so why not?

fnfalman
05-18-2012, 17:01

I always use grease on the rails and oil everywhere else on my semi-autos. The grease I use is by Militec. It doesn't attract dirt, dry out, it stays put and lubes very well.

It's a gun. It's not a Formula 1 race car. People have been using gun oil on autocycling firearms for more than 100-years now. It ain't rocket science and it ain't magic.

boozer
05-18-2012, 17:06
I use grease on the rails of my SIG, I've seen photos of rails worn through and coming loose on alloy frames.

I clean and lube after every range trip, so the need for grease versus oil is a tossup.

smokin762
05-18-2012, 17:12
I use Tetra Gun Grease on the rails and CLP on the rest of it. I do this with all my firearms. Rifles and handguns.

I have been doing this for many years. No issues.

Jason D
05-18-2012, 17:14
I use grease always.

fastbolt
05-18-2012, 17:16
I have a couple of different greases I'll sometimes use on my pistols (Wilson Ultima GG & Mil-Comm TW-25B).

Mostly if I expect to carry them for extended periods in the moist salty air along the Coast. It remains in place for longer periods, unlike oil-type lubricants which may run off under gravity, wick off on leather holsters or have the carrier evaporate.

Just depends.

I have a few oil-type lubricants or CLP's I'll use more often.

I like to make sure the frame rails in my aluminum frame pistols remain slightly "wet" to my eyes and touch, though. I've seen some alloy frames quickly ruined by insufficient lubrication, and I've listened to many armorer instructors discuss the importance of keeping alloy frames lubricated over the years ... although the Sig instructor was really emphatic about it.

Lots of good lubricants made for use on firearms nowadays, and owners/users have a wide choice available from which to choose to meet their anticipated needs.

Read the labels, too. ;)

Nakanokalronin
05-18-2012, 17:20
It's a gun. It's not a Formula 1 race car. People have been using gun oil on autocycling firearms for more than 100-years now. It ain't rocket science and it ain't magic.

Are you stuck in time? People advance and so do guns, ammo, lubrication, cars, phones, computers....technology in general. In any case, my comment was not about lubrication. It was about the way responses always come from the same people on this forum.

bmoore
05-18-2012, 17:59
If it slides grease it, if it rotates oil it.

WoodenPlank
05-18-2012, 18:08
Grease on the rails and barrel exterior, oil elsewhere.

Bruce M
05-18-2012, 18:28
Why would I use grease on my firearms? I wanna shoot'em, not to have sex with'em.
:rofl::rofl:

I use Tetra regularly on slides/rails. My guess is that the vast majority of lubrication issues are either too much or way too little and that almost no lubrication issues would be solved by application of a different lubricant. (With the agreement that in some environments a grease is a better choice and inappropriate for some other applications.)

boone10
05-18-2012, 19:22
Grease made specifically for guns is crazy expensive. What's wrong with the white lithium grass in the squeeze tube found in the automotive section? I've used it for quite a while now on the slides. Gotta Sig Mosquito that runs like a champ while many others seem to have a lot of trouble with theirs

WoodenPlank
05-18-2012, 20:50
Grease made specifically for guns is crazy expensive. What's wrong with the white lithium grass in the squeeze tube found in the automotive section? I've used it for quite a while now on the slides. Gotta Sig Mosquito that runs like a champ while many others seem to have a lot of trouble with theirs

I actually use regular WLG on my handguns, and it works quite well. It can get a bit crusty over time, but nothing a field strip, clean, and re-lube every few months doesn't fix.

05-18-2012, 20:58
Slide glide count?

janice6
05-18-2012, 21:00
I have used Molybdenum disulfide grease and it works fine.

It works fine but is dirty and messy and gets on everything.

I normally use Rem-Oil. cleaner and works.

GLOCK17DB9
05-18-2012, 21:03
I just oil my gun after each range trip and cleaning. I have never used any grease.:dunno: Maybe I'm doing it all wrong?

bac1023
05-18-2012, 21:31

:animlol:

Wyoming
05-18-2012, 22:34

Oh "Scooter" I thought your comment funny and like it. You are really right, "it ain't rocket science".

Look at how many gun oils and gun grease there are on the market. Notice how small the cans and tubes are? Not figure out the unit cost per item.

If an oil corporation try to sell a can of Mobil 1 for the price they sell gun oil Congress would intervene! That is why I think there are so many gun oil and gun grease on the market. It is very profitable!

Is there any BAD gun lubricant on the market? No. As long as you lubricate your gun that is all that matters! I could use dirty oil from the dip stick of my truck (or Honda CT90 motorcycle*) on my 1911 and it will work.

*That right fnfalman, I have an 1976 Honda CT 90 that runs but have not used in year! That oil would be better that no oil.

Bigpoppie50
05-18-2012, 22:59
I read somewhere the other day I believe it was on "Glockmeister" website that glock recommends using a white grease on the trigger bar so that is what I do. I put a spot of white lithium grease on the trigger bar and Synthetic Mobil 1 oil on the barrel hood and three quarters of the barrel and on the barrel locking lugs. I use militec1(synthetic) on the slide rails and that covers all of the points glock recommends for lubrication.

TxGlock9
05-18-2012, 23:13
Grease, oil, lube, whatever. Just use something. There is no such thing as using a "wrong" type of gun lube.

countrygun
05-19-2012, 00:13
SOME, not all, of the people that I have heard saying that "you just have to use a designer gun lube because the have been designed to run for thousands of rounds" are the same obsessive folks who clean and re-lube their guns every week whether they have been fired or not.

"White grease' recommended? doesn't that include Crisco?

If "special" lubes blow your skirt up, that's your way of stimulating the economy I guess. The grease that got millions of M-1 Garands through WWII wasn't much more that axel grease in little tubs.

fnfalman
05-19-2012, 01:18
*That right fnfalman, I have an 1976 Honda CT 90 that runs but have not used in year! That oil would be better that no oil.

The Honda 90 gives me flashback to the old country.:wavey:

fnfalman
05-19-2012, 01:22
Are you stuck in time? People advance and so do guns, ammo, lubrication, cars, phones, computers....technology in general. In any case, my comment was not about lubrication. It was about the way responses always come from the same people on this forum.

Ooooh, let's see...gun designs had progressed through the years...pray tell which operating mechanism is it that had just been recently invented? Is it the blowback? Is it the recoil? Is it gas operated? Is it delayed blowback? Is it short recoil? Is it long recoil?

Let me guess, plastic parts and striker fire ignition are recent discoveries, right?

Last I checked, cars nowadays have electronic gadgets to make them run more thermodynamically efficient, with thousands of small parts. How many parts are in a modern gun versus an old one? Here's a hint...modern guns have lesser parts count than the old ones. If anything, they don't need as much lubrication as old guns.

batangueno
05-19-2012, 01:27
Brian Enos' Slide Glide works great.

blastfact
05-19-2012, 09:03
M1 grease and oil here.

AZ Jeff
05-19-2012, 09:36
Grease has an added benefit that it won't migrate from where it is placed on the firearm when the temperature goes up (like here in AZ). Of course, too MUCH grease can also be a problem in colder weather as well.....

DFin
05-19-2012, 09:49
Mobil 1 synthetic wheel bearing grease. It stays put and does not run off like oil.

jb1911
05-19-2012, 11:38
I use Lubriplate and Gun Butter, they both seem to do the job on my slides equally well.

ZO6Vettever
05-19-2012, 13:10

I to use Militec Grease on the rails. Almost none is how much and it has never done anything but keep it runnin' smooth.

mark olindale
05-21-2012, 22:24
I use a light grease on the slides of my handguns. Some manufacturers recommend it. It seems to help. You just want to be careful not to over grease your gun because it can attract dust and dirt which can result in malfunctions. A little bit of grease goes a long way.

orangeride
05-22-2012, 11:52
I use any sort of gun grease on the slide rails and barrel and connector in my g20. It seems to really hold up to extended hot range sessions, but I always clean and re lube when I'm done. I do think grease is not the ticket in really dusty or wet conditions. I fell in a river once while fishing with my glock, just to show off to my brother I pulled the gun and dumped the mag just to prove it would. When I got home it really seemed like the grease attracted lots of gunk. I think a light film of oil is the ticket for field use.

HAMMERHEAD
05-22-2012, 15:20
Grease, oil, lube, whatever. Just use something. There is no such thing as using a "wrong" type of gun lube.
As long as it's gun lube and not something from the hardware store. Thick lithium hardware store grease choked my Sig P226 9mm, too much drag on the rails.

I use Enos' Slide Glide Lite on my pistol rails and the locking lugs on my bolt action rimfire rifles. Light oil (FP-10) on everything else.

Arc Angel
05-22-2012, 16:10
...... How many shooters actually use grease in their handguns? Do you?

Yes! Sentry Solutions, 'Hi-Slip' grease. A very little bit goes a very long way. Just be sure to keep it on the inside of the gun and wear Nitrile gloves while you're gun cleaning.

http://www.sentrysolutions.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SENTRY&Product_Code=91050&Category_Code=FIREARMS

.45Super-Man
05-22-2012, 16:15
Permatex "Countermans choice" ceramic based brake parts lube on the rails and lugs only. It's not cheap by any means but you'll find nothing slicker or longer lasting.

soggy_spinout
05-22-2012, 16:29
Yes. Use Loctite C5-A lube on Glocks (the copper stuff that looks a lot like the stuff the factory applies when new), and steel framed CZs and 1911 slide rails; steel-on-steel situations only. Weaponshield grease or Home Depot lithium on the rails of my other brands of pistolas. Mostly Weaponshield CLP where required elsewhere, but I've used light synthetic motor oil in the past as well.

Arc Angel
05-22-2012, 17:06
Yes. Use Loctite C5-A lube on Glocks (the copper stuff that looks a lot like the stuff the factory applies when new), and steel framed CZs and 1911 slide rails; steel-on-steel situations only. Weaponshield grease or Home Depot lithium on the rails of my other brands of pistolas. Mostly Weaponshield CLP where required elsewhere, but I've used light synthetic motor oil in the past as well.

Watch that C5-A stuff! Long term use is reported to stimulate excessive wear. (That's one of the reasons, 'Why' it's called an anti-seize compound.)

HAMMERHEAD
05-22-2012, 17:51
Yes. Use Loctite C5-A lube on Glocks (the copper stuff that looks a lot like the stuff the factory applies when new)
The copper anti-seize on new Glocks in meant for break in only. It's not supposed to be replaced.

pat701
05-25-2012, 16:55
On the slides.

jolly roger
05-25-2012, 18:22
On slides and rails, Lubriplate. Same stuff used on my M1A. The rest get Ballistol. Cleans and lubes just fine. The Germans have used that stuff since about 1914.

BearMBD
05-25-2012, 18:43
I use clp and permatex copper antiseize, because I have a big can of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fnfalman
05-26-2012, 02:53
Copper antiseize compounds? Are you people shooting guns or are you people bolting up pipe flanges with studs & nuts?

Darkangel1846
05-26-2012, 09:30
Greese on my rifles not my pistold.

HAMMERHEAD
05-26-2012, 09:53
Copper antiseize compounds? Are you people shooting guns or are you people bolting up pipe flanges with studs & nuts?
+1
I think it bears repeating. The anti-seize is not supposed to be replaced. Read your manuals. It calls for oil, not anti-seize.

jeremy1
05-26-2012, 10:23
I use regular axle grease on the rails and moving parts that can be greased. I use a syringe to aply it, and use CLP in to the small areas that can't be greased, (safety controls, trigger parts, etc). I use a coating of CLP on surfaces to prevent corrosion. I have been using grease for years, and it works very well in all environments, and the never dries up or wears away

soggy_spinout
07-06-2012, 23:49
Sorry for necroposting; I can get rather lazy about coming back to sites to check out things...

My question to you all who tell us (well, really just me) not to continue to use the copper anti-seize: why?

Unlike a typical classic P-series SIG or Beretta 92, there are no aluminum parts on a Glock to be concerned about when it comes to possible galvanic corrosion damage (copper+aluminum+steel...bad news). My Glock care guide only warns me NOT to wipe off the copper anti-seize that they put on at the factory. Which is ironic in the case of my EDC Gen4 G23, where they originally put NONE on that pistol when I purchased it NIB over a year ago. It only has any at all because it was me who applied it to the gun, not Glock.

I've been using the stuff for the past three years on the rails and track on my Gen3 G19; that pistol now has one of the smoothest slide actions that I've ever felt on a Glock, and even rivals the buttery smooth action of my 9mm P229. Others have made similar comments about my G19 when handling or shooting. Though originally not intended, this improvement in the gun's slide action has allowed me considerable latitude in experimenting with lighter spring weights and RSA configurations on the pistol. Neither the slide or the frame's steel rail points show any visible frictional wear, so aside from the stuff being kinda messy to spread (actually not much is ever needed), I'm not seeing where these negatives are. I most definitely would never use it on an alloy framed pistol or AR, but when it's steel on steel, I'm just not seeing the harm.

But if any of you are willing to fill me in, I will swallow it in with an open mind as to why I should return to using WeaponShield, or some other lube.

fnfalman
07-07-2012, 00:04
Because anti-seize isn't lube the way firearms need lubrication.

How fast does the slide move back and forth? How fast do you tighten the nuts on pipe studs?

But hey, if you're happy and the gun works, why not?

Apetrulis01
07-07-2012, 00:17
I use gease where the connector and trigger bar meet in the glock, rails get CLP.

ADAM

boone10
07-07-2012, 19:42
Sorry for necroposting; I can get rather lazy about coming back to sites to check out things...

My question to you all who tell us (well, really just me) not to continue to use the copper anti-seize: why?

Unlike a typical classic P-series SIG or Beretta 92, there are no aluminum parts on a Glock to be concerned about when it comes to possible galvanic corrosion damage (copper+aluminum+steel...bad news). My Glock care guide only warns me NOT to wipe off the copper anti-seize that they put on at the factory. Which is ironic in the case of my EDC Gen4 G23, where they originally put NONE on that pistol when I purchased it NIB over a year ago. It only has any at all because it was me who applied it to the gun, not Glock.

I've been using the stuff for the past three years on the rails and track on my Gen3 G19; that pistol now has one of the smoothest slide actions that I've ever felt on a Glock, and even rivals the buttery smooth action of my 9mm P229. Others have made similar comments about my G19 when handling or shooting. Though originally not intended, this improvement in the gun's slide action has allowed me considerable latitude in experimenting with lighter spring weights and RSA configurations on the pistol. Neither the slide or the frame's steel rail points show any visible frictional wear, so aside from the stuff being kinda messy to spread (actually not much is ever needed), I'm not seeing where these negatives are. I most definitely would never use it on an alloy framed pistol or AR, but when it's steel on steel, I'm just not seeing the harm.

But if any of you are willing to fill me in, I will swallow it in with an open mind as to why I should return to using WeaponShield, or some other lube.

The copper product is apparently for "breaking in" a new Glock. Your's sounds as if it is "broken in" to the point that continued use of the same abrasive anti-seize compound will do nothing more than promote premature wear. I would stop using it, but hey--what do I know?

98LS-WON
07-08-2012, 10:43
I just oil my gun after each range trip and cleaning. I have never used any grease.:dunno: Maybe I'm doing it all wrong?

This. A light coat of oil should last through a range trip. If you aren't the type to clear your gun after the range, you probably don't worry about grease either.

For those worried about the environment in which they'll be carrying, if it is a harsh environment that gives you all the more reason to clean it more often. If you are cleaning it often and not shooting it, oil will work just fine IMHO. I've never used anything other that Hoppe's 9 and Rem Oil for 35 years and have never worn out a gun.

NeverMore1701
07-08-2012, 11:50
Grease and Mobil 1, depending on what I'm lubing.

ghr1142
07-08-2012, 11:58

I'm with you ! I'm a very fussy owner of Glocks ! I just go by the glock handbook as far as this issue goes !
Although ? the proper oil used is important ?
I use MOBIL 1 in all my glocks because after 10 years I just found out were the "DIP STICK" was LOL.

CanMan
07-08-2012, 12:06
Gun Butter & Mobil 1 keep my Glocks luvin' me.

elde
07-08-2012, 12:18
I follow Flork's Lubrication Recommendations over on the Sig Forum. And that means grease.

garya1961
07-08-2012, 13:24
Yes I do.
Any good grease will do on slides just don't apply too much. If you live in a really cold climate you may just want to use a synthetic oil. If you live within the artic circle you may not want to use anything at all.

tuica
07-08-2012, 13:30
This is pretty much my procedure. CheersI use Tetra Gun Grease on the rails and CLP on the rest of it. I do this with all my firearms. Rifles and handguns.

I have been doing this for many years. No issues.

FireForged
07-08-2012, 20:54

agree +1