Smith & Wesson M&P22 vs. Ruger SR22 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson M&P22 vs. Ruger SR22

TheSorb
05-18-2012, 23:45
I want a good, reliable .22LR auto. I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to these two pistols. Reliability, workmanship quality, field stripping/cleaning ease, and overall functionality are very important to me. I'd really appreciate it if you'd share your thoughts and experiences...thanks! :cool:

JaPes
05-19-2012, 08:36
I want a good, reliable .22LR auto. I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to these two pistols. Reliability, workmanship quality, field stripping/cleaning ease, and overall functionality are very important to me. I'd really appreciate it if you'd share your thoughts and experiences...thanks!

I own a M&P 22. The biggest advantage of the M&P 22 is that it is the perfect training analog for a M&P full size. The exterior dimensions of the M&P 22 and my M&P 9fs are nearly indentical. If I owned a M&P 9fs w/frame safety, the exterior dimensions would be identical. The trigger pulls are very similar between the two.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/SW%20MP%209%20vs%2022/IMG_0387-1.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/SW%20MP%2022/IMG_0383-1-1.jpg

Field strip of a M&P 22 is easy. Push out the retained take down pin on the frame. Pull the slide rearward while tilting just the rear up. Then push the slide off the fixed barrel. Clean & lube using your preferred method.

Because all .22lr semi-auto's can be finicky during break-in, I brought 300 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag with me. The M&P 22 cycled 100 rounds of CCI perfectly. I then switched to Winchester 555 bulk, 36gr, copper plated, hollow point. The M&P 22 cycled 300 rounds of the Winchester bulk without issue. Since then, I've finished off that Winchester bulk brick and a brick of Federal bulk.

In my hands, the M&P 22 achieves 2" groups at 30 ft, POA=POI out of the box. IMO, my Ruger MKIII has the inherent greater potential for out-of-the-box accuracy than the M&P 22. At the same 30ft distance with the same ammo, I can reliably hold 1" to .75" groups.

You're going to have to determine what your intended use & your expected performance, then put them into context of the M&P 22. The M&P 22 performs just fine for my intended use: training analog for the full size M&P and fun plinking.

My two gripes:

1. The M&P 22 is only issued with one magazine. Magazines are difficult to locate. I could not find one locally. The only online retailer that had M&P22 magazines in stock was S&W's online store. I should have bought two.

2. The M&P 22 has a front dot, rear notch sight set up. I prefer the 3-dot set up on the M&P full size. Since the M&P 22 has an aluminum slide, I am reticent to install a steel 2-dot sight from a M&P full size. S&W technicians informed me that S&W doesn't offer a 2-dot rear sight for the M&P 22.

My minor gripe is loading the magazines. I am accustomed to loading Ruger MKIII magazines with a McFadden Ultimate Clip Loader. Loading .22lr magazines by hand is irritatingly time consuming.

I don't own a Ruger SR22p. A fellow firearms enthusiast was generous enough to let me fire a magazine through hers. The SR22p has compact dimensions. It feels good in the hand. The DA trigger pull is long with a predictable break. The follow-up SA trigger pulls are light. Because I only too 10 shots, I can not comment on the SR22p's accuracy.

I prefer the S&W M&P 22 over the SR22p because of the S&W M&P 22's size. Again, the M&P 22 is the exact same size as the M&P 9fs.

Reliability, workmanship quality, field stripping/cleaning ease, and overall functionality are very important to me.

To be honest, one of the reasons I was comfortable buying a M&P 22 is because I already own two Ruger MKIII's.

The Ruger MKIII is one of the most solid, reliable .22lr pistols with outstanding workmanship & quality. The Ruger MKIII also has lots of after-market support. While I do not have issues field stripping & reassembling a Ruger MKIII, I do acknowledge that not everyone finds process easy or simple.

If you want a reliable, good quality, outstanding workmanship, ease of field stripping & cleaning, and overall functionality get a Browning Buckmark. The Browning Buckmark is the equal of the Ruger MKIII, and is easier to field strip & reassemble.

If you do not already own a Ruger or Browning, get either one of these two first, then go get the M&P 22. I think you'll be happier in the long term this way.

Good luck with your choice!

TheSorb
05-19-2012, 12:54
Thanks JaPes...I appreciate the insight!

Today I checked out a Sig Mosquito at the local Sportsman's Warehouse. It certainly feels good in my hand. I guess now there's a third contender...any more thoughts or advice? :dunno:

JaPes
05-19-2012, 15:42
Stay away from the Sig Mosquito as if it could give you contact herpes.

I used to own one. It was a jam-o-matic. It went back to Sig twice, and it still never ran right.

Horrible sights, trigger, and quality. The zinc alloy slide alone isn't reassuring.

TheSorb
05-19-2012, 18:17
And we're back to two...I NEED reliability! :dog:

JaPes
05-19-2012, 20:13

Do you already own a .22lr semi-auto pistol or will this be your 1st one?

bac1023
05-19-2012, 20:32
Thanks JaPes...I appreciate the insight!

Today I checked out a Sig Mosquito at the local Sportsman's Warehouse. It certainly feels good in my hand. I guess now there's a third contender...any more thoughts or advice? :dunno:Don't even think about the Mosquito. Its a 3rd party gun and a real POS.

bac1023
05-19-2012, 20:32
The M&P and SR are much different. The Smith is nearly a full size gun.

JaPes
05-19-2012, 21:48
TheSorb.

It's easier to show you, so I shot these quick videos. I apologize for some of it being out of frame. Trying to field strip & reassemble a firearm while trying to look at a little LCD screen on a camera is not easy for me. I had a fan running and the camera mic picked up wind buffeting noise, so I used a random audio track.

S&W M&P 22 Basic Field Strip
Field strip and reassembly of a S&W M&P 22 pistol. - YouTube

Ruger MKIII 22/45 RP Basic Field Strip
Ruger MLKIII 22/45 RP Basic Field Strip & Reassembly - YouTube

TheSorb
05-19-2012, 23:31
Do you already own a .22lr semi-auto pistol or will this be your 1st one?

First one...

TSAX
05-20-2012, 00:27
Echoing the stay away from the Mosquito. Id say get the M&P 22

:50cal:

rcbif
05-20-2012, 07:35

Then your back to the Ruger MK series and the browning buckmark. They have a proven track record and reliability whose overall design is based on the .22.

If you want a .22 that resembles a "real fullsize handgun" then get the Ruger 22/45. It's relatively new, but basically the same upper as the MK3. IMHO these new .22's that are made to look and operate like fullsize handguns just wont be as accurate and reliable as more original .22's as Japes has said.

As for the field stripping, yes, it's a bit of labor with the Ruger Mk and the browning buckmark requires removing screws, but most will only need cleaned past 2 bricks of ammo or more. Heck, I've read some people say they haven't disassembled their ruger in years, and just cleaned it from the outside.

TheSorb
05-20-2012, 09:47
Hey JaPes...

Thank you SO MUCH for the videos...I REALLY appreciate your assistance in making this decision! :yourock:

And thanks to everyone else too! :rock:

guncats
05-20-2012, 15:35
the buckmark will last forever, easy to clean and very accurate.

SR22's grip is super small, great for kids but since you are the one buying I suppose you are not a kid....:whistling:

M&P is made by the same company that makes GSG1911, quality is pretty good but IMO wo't be as durable as the Browning and Ruger.

JaPes
05-20-2012, 18:39
Then your back to the Ruger MK series and the browning buckmark. They have a proven track record and reliability whose overall design is based on the .22.

^^^ THIS.

While I love my M&P 22, there are a few people out there who report issues. This being the internet, I don't know if the problem lies with the gun or the nut behind the trigger. Most of the time, it's the nut behind the trigger.

The Ruger MK series & the Browning Buckmark have proven themselves over the years. You can't get that with a M&P 22.

JaPes
05-20-2012, 18:40
Hey JaPes...

Thank you SO MUCH for the videos...I REALLY appreciate your assistance in making this decision! :yourock:

And thanks to everyone else too! :rock:

You're welcome. Keep us posted on what you decide to purchase.

Ruger, Buckmark, M&P 22 ... you really can't go wrong. Just stay away from the mosquito.

TheSorb
06-02-2012, 13:27
Well...I made my decision and chose the Ruger SR22. In the end, the fact that this pistol is actually made by Ruger, and - at least so far - has a reputation of reliability with nearly any ammo, were the deciding factors for me.
:snoopy:

Now the dreaded 10-day waiting period begins (damn Kalifornia!) :brickwall:

Here are some pictures of my latest acquisition:

racer88
06-02-2012, 16:21
Well...I made my decision and chose the Ruger SR22. In the end, the fact that this pistol is actually made by Ruger, and - at least so far - has a reputation of reliability with nearly any ammo, were the deciding factors for me.

Congrats! I love my SR22.

Sucks that you have to wait. Here in Florida, with my CCW, I get to walk out with my new acquisition right away. Not to rub it in, or nothin'! :whistling:

JaPes
06-02-2012, 19:22
Congrats!

TSAX
06-02-2012, 19:54

:steamed: I once bought 3 new guns and had to wait 70 (10, 40, 70) total days for all 3 to be in my hands.

:50cal:

Faulkner
06-07-2012, 20:00

You made a good choice. I'm a Ruger MKII fan myself, but I bought a SR22 a couple of months back and it's fed every brand of ammo I've stuck in the magazine without any problems. It's not a tack driver, but it's plenty accurate and it's a lot of fun to shoot.

SIGlock
06-09-2012, 23:49
WARNING: DO NOT GET THE RUGER SR22 PISTOL.

This is what happened to me: My SR22 pistol just blew up in my hand at the range two days ago. !!!!:wow:

My local gun shop inspected the gun and declared that the problem was not the shooter nor the ammo. It was the take down latch lever. It broke. Sending the slide, spring right down the range. Because I bought it only 4 weeks ago, the shop let me have two choices: I could get another sr22 for free....or pick something else around $300 value. Yeah, this shop is very good to me. I bought stuff from them for more than 20 years. Treated me very nice.

Obviously, I decided to get something else. I am done with sr22. Do a search on youtube and you see a few people report on the same problem that I got.

SIGlock
06-09-2012, 23:52
You made a good choice. I'm a Ruger MKII fan myself, but I bought a SR22 a couple of months back and it's fed every brand of ammo I've stuck in the magazine without any problems. It's not a tack driver, but it's plenty accurate and it's a lot of fun to shoot.

Yeah, the SR22 can handle all kinds of ammo. I don't disagree.

That's not where the problem is. I am almost sure that this gun will be recalled soon. The "take down lever" is a faulty design. THERE WILL BE A RECALL SOON. :steamed:

SIGlock
06-10-2012, 00:02
More info on my SR22:

I shot exclusively with CCI/Blazer, 40gr LRN. This is not a hot .22LR load by any mean. I shot a total of 500 rds. at the point where the gun started to "blow up".

First 150 rds. no problem. Perfect pistol. Gave it a good clean and lube.
Second 150 rds. no problem. Adjusted the sight. Gave it a good clean lube.
Third 150 rds. no problem. Worked great. Started to recommend to everyone at the range.
Fourth 150 rds......gun blew up. Mad as hell. End of story.

TheSorb
06-10-2012, 15:29
Hey SIGlock -

Does your Ruger say "SR22 PISTOL" on the right side of the slide, or does it just say "SR22"?

racer88
06-10-2012, 16:46
Hey SIGlock -

Does your Ruger say "SR22 PISTOL" on the right side of the slide, or does it just say "SR22"?

Mine says "SR22 Pistol." Some don't say "Pistol?" What's the difference? What does that mean?

This is concerning to say the least. I've watched 2 videos on it. I just got through field stripping mine. The take down lever looks intact. No cracks or other defect that I can see. I've got 1,050 rounds through mine.

pck50
06-10-2012, 17:13
I got a Ruger SR-22 the first trip to the range the slide broke.
never again will i ever get an alloy gun

I own a M&P 22. The biggest advantage of the M&P 22 is that it is the perfect training analog for a M&P full size. The exterior dimensions of the M&P 22 and my M&P 9fs are nearly indentical. If I owned a M&P 9fs w/frame safety, the exterior dimensions would be identical. The trigger pulls are very similar between the two.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/SW%20MP%209%20vs%2022/IMG_0387-1.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/SW%20MP%2022/IMG_0383-1-1.jpg

Field strip of a M&P 22 is easy. Push out the retained take down pin on the frame. Pull the slide rearward while tilting just the rear up. Then push the slide off the fixed barrel. Clean & lube using your preferred method.

Because all .22lr semi-auto's can be finicky during break-in, I brought 300 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag with me. The M&P 22 cycled 100 rounds of CCI perfectly. I then switched to Winchester 555 bulk, 36gr, copper plated, hollow point. The M&P 22 cycled 300 rounds of the Winchester bulk without issue. Since then, I've finished off that Winchester bulk brick and a brick of Federal bulk.

In my hands, the M&P 22 achieves 2" groups at 30 ft, POA=POI out of the box. IMO, my Ruger MKIII has the inherent greater potential for out-of-the-box accuracy than the M&P 22. At the same 30ft distance with the same ammo, I can reliably hold 1" to .75" groups.

You're going to have to determine what your intended use & your expected performance, then put them into context of the M&P 22. The M&P 22 performs just fine for my intended use: training analog for the full size M&P and fun plinking.

My two gripes:

1. The M&P 22 is only issued with one magazine. Magazines are difficult to locate. I could not find one locally. The only online retailer that had M&P22 magazines in stock was S&W's online store. I should have bought two.

2. The M&P 22 has a front dot, rear notch sight set up. I prefer the 3-dot set up on the M&P full size. Since the M&P 22 has an aluminum slide, I am reticent to install a steel 2-dot sight from a M&P full size. S&W technicians informed me that S&W doesn't offer a 2-dot rear sight for the M&P 22.

My minor gripe is loading the magazines. I am accustomed to loading Ruger MKIII magazines with a McFadden Ultimate Clip Loader. Loading .22lr magazines by hand is irritatingly time consuming.

I don't own a Ruger SR22p. A fellow firearms enthusiast was generous enough to let me fire a magazine through hers. The SR22p has compact dimensions. It feels good in the hand. The DA trigger pull is long with a predictable break. The follow-up SA trigger pulls are light. Because I only too 10 shots, I can not comment on the SR22p's accuracy.

I prefer the S&W M&P 22 over the SR22p because of the S&W M&P 22's size. Again, the M&P 22 is the exact same size as the M&P 9fs.

To be honest, one of the reasons I was comfortable buying a M&P 22 is because I already own two Ruger MKIII's.

The Ruger MKIII is one of the most solid, reliable .22lr pistols with outstanding workmanship & quality. The Ruger MKIII also has lots of after-market support. While I do not have issues field stripping & reassembling a Ruger MKIII, I do acknowledge that not everyone finds process easy or simple.

If you want a reliable, good quality, outstanding workmanship, ease of field stripping & cleaning, and overall functionality get a Browning Buckmark. The Browning Buckmark is the equal of the Ruger MKIII, and is easier to field strip & reassemble.

If you do not already own a Ruger or Browning, get either one of these two first, then go get the M&P 22. I think you'll be happier in the long term this way.

Good luck with your choice!

TheSorb
06-10-2012, 17:45
Mine says "SR22 Pistol." Some don't say "Pistol?" What's the difference? What does that mean?

This is concerning to say the least. I've watched 2 videos on it. I just got through field stripping mine. The take down lever looks intact. No cracks or other defect that I can see. I've got 1,050 rounds through mine.

Check out my picture post above (#17) and click on the first image...the slide only says "SR22"...I don't know what the difference is...I'm hoping it indicates that Ruger fixed the issue, and then they removed the word "PISTOL" in order to distinguish new, corrected guns from older ones, but that's pure conjecture & wishful thinking at this point. :dunno:

I just checked Ruger's website and can find nothing about this problem, nor do I see evidence that it's been addressed in any way. Frustrating! :rollingeyes:

BMyers
06-11-2012, 04:37
I have an M&P 22. The issue I had was find extra mags after a three month wait, was finally able to purhase three extra mags.

Gun is nice, easy to clean, and fun to shoot.

mattbg
06-11-2012, 22:20
Mine doesn't say pistol, purchased last month. No issues, great fun to shoot.

Peter_72
06-11-2012, 22:32
Ours doesn't say pistol, over 500 rounds with no problems.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb250/Smaxxin/SR22.jpg

mrsurfboard
06-12-2012, 02:47
TheSorb.

It's easier to show you, so I shot these quick videos. I apologize for some of it being out of frame. Trying to field strip & reassemble a firearm while trying to look at a little LCD screen on a camera is not easy for me. I had a fan running and the camera mic picked up wind buffeting noise, so I used a random audio track.

S&W M&P 22 Basic Field Strip
Field strip and reassembly of a S&W M&P 22 pistol. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx6WOtIzgJU)

Ruger MKIII 22/45 RP Basic Field Strip
Ruger MLKIII 22/45 RP Basic Field Strip & Reassembly - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwE5h4cWxME)

The Ruger Mark ** series are such a pain the neck to field strip, that I never shoot it anymore. I would love to meet the idiot who designed that pistol.

JaPes
06-12-2012, 06:15
The Ruger Mark ** series are such a pain the neck to field strip, that I never shoot it anymore. I would love to meet the idiot who designed that pistol.

Mrsurfboard meet Bill Ruger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_B._Ruger

dingode
10-19-2012, 19:23
I'd have to say Siglocks gun didn't blow up, but broke. At least when this happens Ruger makes it right. And it shouldn't be happening anymore as I've read Ruger has improved the take down lever.

I've read about Sig Mosquito slides breaking in half after the warranty has expired and sig's wouldn't take care of them.

The SR22 evidently has/had some issues with side wear. Once again, ruger is doing right by the customer.

That being said, I took my SR22 straight from the gun store to the range, put a few drops of lube on it, and fired hundreds of round thru it with only 2FTFs that I attribute to the ammo being old and beat up. No problems at all with the fresh ammo I put thru it. My 10 yr old son shot the snot out of the thing and loved it.

I traded my Mosquito for the SR22. If the M&P 22 is made by the same company as the Sig, I'd advoid it.

GlockPride
10-19-2012, 19:44
I bought the M&P 22 a few weeks ago. Probably got 3-400 rounds through it. Trigger is ok, but could be better. I may put my special handling skills to it. The gun is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I smile every time I whip it out.
Mags are still hard to find. I've had three on b/o from Midway for a couple of weeks.
I've had the mk III 22/45 in the past and just did not care for it. I still want for a MK III Hunter/Target in Stainless with fluted barrel. :).

VN350X10
10-20-2012, 21:54
Ruger MK series pistols aren't really that bad to field strip & clean.
READ THE MANUAL !

That aside, I don't take any of mine apart, except to demonstrate to folks how to do it.
For cleaning, here's my procedure:

1) Magazine out & remove grips
2) Open bolt & lock. On MK I's, the safety will lock the bolt open
3) Spray heavily with Brake cleaner or Gun Scrubber (3 bucks a can vs 9 bucks, your choice)
4) Using compressed air, blow the crap out of the pistol... repeat 3 & 4.
5) Time for a Bore-Snake w/your choice of cleaner
6) Spray heavily with WD-40, then compressor & air blast. This is to remove any residue left from the brake cleaner
7) Lube with good quality oil. WD-40 IS NOT A LUBRICANT !!
8) wipe off all excess & re-install grips.

This should have taken you less time than it took me to type it ! Seriously, about an 8 min. job, tops.

I make a habit of cleaning my old MK I Tgt. about every 3K rounds, but I've tested it past 4K without cleaning !

uncle albert