My buddies STUPID mistake [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My buddies STUPID mistake

chrisbritt15
05-18-2012, 23:48
A guy I work with has been bugging me to death asking me what kind of Glock he should buy, because he loved the look and the feel of their guns and just had to have one, so naturally knowing he was just starting out, I recommended the Gen 3 G19. cant go wrong there... good solid pistol for someone starting out. goes to the Gun shop today to pick up up. money in his hand. and what does he come out with?????? a HiPoint 9mm. I was floored. he was told buy the guy at the gun shop that everyone around was out of these guns and they was the hottest guns around. so he feel for it. went in for a G19 came out with a Hipoint...... Story of my life

Glock40man
05-18-2012, 23:55
A long way from a G19.:faint:

Folsom_Prison
05-18-2012, 23:56
Hi point.... Ugly yes!!

Reliable? Every person I've known that owns one has had no complaints what so ever!

Would I carry one, heck no but at some point I'd buy one to give it a shot.

TxGlock9
05-19-2012, 00:07
I'm shocked. I'm pissed for him geez. That's almost as bad as sharing my gf.

RandomHero
05-19-2012, 01:07
A guy I work with has been bugging me to death asking me what kind of Glock he should buy, because he loved the look and the feel of their guns and just had to have one, so naturally knowing he was just starting out, I recommended the Gen 3 G19. cant go wrong there... good solid pistol for someone starting out. goes to the Gun shop today to pick up up. money in his hand. and what does he come out with?????? a HiPoint 9mm. I was floored. he was told buy the guy at the gun shop that everyone around was out of these guns and they was the hottest guns around. so he feel for it. went in for a G19 came out with a Hipoint...... Story of my life
did you tell him to go back and demand a refund?

4TS&W
05-19-2012, 01:13
Ouch.

Caveat Emptor...

fnfalman
05-19-2012, 01:15
At least he can wash the Hi-Point in a dishwashing machine.

kahrcarrier
05-19-2012, 02:05
Meh. Give him a couple of weeks........ He'll probably own both a Hi Point and a GLOCK.............

jp3975
05-19-2012, 02:30
Hi point.... Ugly yes!!

Reliable? Every person I've known that owns one has had no complaints what so ever!

Would I carry one, heck no but at some point I'd buy one to give it a shot.

True enough...but the asshat salesman lied to him.

Hottest thing around as if its the gun everyone is talking about and wants?:rofl:

Do they make more on hipoints than glock? Im surprised he tried to sell a less expensive gun.

fnfalman
05-19-2012, 02:32

Hottest thing around as if its the gun everyone is talking about and wants?:rofl:

Do they make more on hipoints than glock? Im surprised he tried to sell a less expensive gun.

Ask yourself why would a salesman sell your buddy a $100 gun instead of a $500 gun?

Maybe your buddy doesn't want to spend the money on a Glock? It's one thing to read about it on the intrawebz and in the magazines. It's another to pony up the cash at the counter.

jp3975
05-19-2012, 02:48
Ask yourself why would a salesman sell your buddy a $100 gun instead of a $500 gun?

Maybe your buddy doesn't want to spend the money on a Glock? It's one thing to read about it on the intrawebz and in the magazines. It's another to pony up the cash at the counter.

Thats probably it. The friend probably was taken aback by the price and asked about it. Then was sold by the guy talking it up.

But seriously....taking a high point around gun people is like riding a pink vespa to Sturgis.

Cant believe a gun salesman would say its the hottest thing around instead of trying to upsell.

oldsoldier
05-19-2012, 05:22
A person at work tried to find one to buy in Rolla, MO. He went to a couple of local gunshops. One dealer told him he doesn't carry them but could order one in. The other dealer carries them but said he couldn't get enough of them to meet demand. He had to order it. Maybe they are a hot item in some areas. :dunno: I suggested he buy a Glock or a good used gun instead but he is sticking with the Hi-Point.

Bob Hafler
05-19-2012, 05:25
Sounds like that Gun salesmen saw a nooby fish walk in the door giggled the bait a little and it was fish on. Bet he's glad to get that ugly gun off the self. As how happy your friend will be? Time will tell. I wish him luck.

bac1023
05-19-2012, 06:19
Wow, that sucks.

Hi Points work, but are ugly and clunky as sin.

ParisArms
05-19-2012, 06:34
Sounds like my first gun purchase. I went into my LGS looking for a Glock or HK. After talking to the sales guy, I walked out with a Taurus.
Moral of these stories, guns are like cars. You should never make an impulse buy unless you know exactly what your buying.

Z71bill
05-19-2012, 07:15
Must have over heard it 100 times while at a gun show.

LOOK at this one! It is only $99!!

Look over and see a guy with a Hi-Point in his hands.

IIRC when Bud's sends out the "Top 10 list" Hi-Point is on / or near the top.

I have almost bought one a few times - just because I am Hi-Point curious. :rofl:

Go to the range with him - I bet it shoots just fine.

chrisbritt15
05-19-2012, 07:30
he took it to the range that day and shot 200 rounds throught it, said he didnt have any problems with it so it may work out for him. he got ripped off on it though, he said he paid 219 for it, idk if that was before or after taxes thought

carloglock19
05-19-2012, 07:54
I've never owned one so I don't know about function. I have seen them at the LGS, I think I would have saved up for something else or asked a buddie :supergrin: for some $$$$ first!

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
05-19-2012, 08:08
I've got a bridge to sell your friend... :)

Bruce M
05-19-2012, 08:15

I have almost bought one a few times - just because I am Hi-Point curious. :rofl:

:rofl::rofl:

If you buy one don't ask and don't tell about it...

I don't like how they look and have never had one, nor desired one. That said more than a few who are more skilled and have way nicer guns than me have tried one and suggested it functioned fine.

Hour13
05-19-2012, 08:20
he took it to the range that day and shot 200 rounds throught it, said he didnt have any problems with it so it may work out for him. he got ripped off on it though, he said he paid 219 for it, idk if that was before or after taxes thought

:shocked:

Ouch.

Not surprised the salesman pushed the LowPoint. They can sell Glocks all day long. Noob walks in, they're gonna push the dust collectors. Plain & simple. Guns, cars, restaurants, it's the same gig anywhere.

"Push the Salmon, that's today's special. It goes bad next week."

:upeyes:

AA#5
05-19-2012, 08:26

Probably had a commission on the Hi Point. When I was in retail firearms, the owner would put a commission on the cheaper guns because he got a good deal on them by buying a whole bunch of them. Or sometimes, the distributor would give him a better deal on the higher-quality guns if he also bought 50 of the lower-quality guns.

Hour13
05-19-2012, 08:27
Perfect example, was getting a massage last weekend, and got on the topic of guns with the lovely young lady. She just got her first gun...

A Sigma .40 the salesman at Academy told her was a "much better gun than a Glock". He popped her $425 for it.

:faint:

oily_oink
05-19-2012, 08:33
just because I am Hi-Point curious. :rofl:

So am I! :rofl:

chrisbritt15
05-19-2012, 08:37
i dont like them, their like a drug dealers gun lol, something you could kill someone with and just throw it away. their so cheap.

Wil Ufgood
05-19-2012, 08:51
Perfect example, was getting a massage last weekend, and got on the topic of guns with the lovely young lady. She just got her first gun...

A Sigma .40 the salesman at Academy told her was a "much better gun than a Glock". He popped her $425 for it.

:faint:
No "HAPPY ENDING" there!

Zombie Steve
05-19-2012, 09:10
You know what really cracks me up is when the Glockophiles get into a 1911 thread and start in with the "I could have bought 4 glocks for the price of that 1911". Those same people get in a Hi-Point thread, bash away at Hi-Points and never see the irony. :cool:

I had a Hi-Point 9mm in roughly 1994. I was in college and simply couldn't afford much else in the pistol world. I'm here to tell you the thing ran... and ran... and ran.

So the next time you want to give the 1911 guy a bunch of grief for spending $2,300 on a pistol, just remember - you made the same decision, your standards were just a little lower. :whistling:

venenoindy
05-19-2012, 09:39
What happen was he decided to be cheap that is all.

chrisbritt15
05-19-2012, 09:42
What happen was he decided to be cheap that is all.

BINGO, i hope hes has good luck with it, the web has mixed views on it,

CajunBass
05-19-2012, 10:17

Go to the range with him - I bet it shoots just fine.

I did just that. Shot the snot out of that silly thing. It worked like a champ. Had a few malfunctions during that time, but not enough to blame the gun really. One here, one there type thing.

Kept it six...seven years, and sold it at a profit.

A guy I work with has been bugging me to death....went in for a G19 came out with a Hipoint...... Story of my life

Just because you give someone advice, doesn't obligate them to take it. Your buddy will probably be happy with his Hi-Point. If not, he's not really out of anything. He can sell it, trade it, or stick it in the sock drawer and get something else.

Glockdude1
05-19-2012, 10:28
:rofl:

F350
05-19-2012, 11:54
OK; we're all friends here and what is said on GT stays on GT right?????

I own a Hi-Point:embarassed: ; I have shot it maybe 500 rounds, it's reliable and reasonably accurate. I carry it when I am doing something where I want to be armed but there is a danger of loss or damage; specifically, canoeing/wade fishing a stream with some white water; even a lowly POS has a place in life.

If the story is true the salesman shafted your friend; on the other if he got a case of the cheaps, he could-a done worse.

Armchair Commando
05-19-2012, 12:20
Not everyone can afford a 500 dollar pistol!

BLau
05-19-2012, 12:27
My BIL had a Hi Point at one time. A few years later he asked to buy my Walther P99 from me. I sold it to him to get him away from the Hi Point. He said that the Hi Point was always jamming on him and giving him problems.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

ZO6Vettever
05-19-2012, 12:50
I have a buddy with a Bryco Jenning 380 he bought to replace the Bryco Jennings he sat and slid on after dumping his Harley. The POS in his back pocket saved his ass, literally but pinched the pot metal slide and it was junk. It would stovepipe with a full mag and only feed the first 4 of 5 rounds yet he bought another. This one is also a jam o matic so he carries his Charter Arms 38 Spl. Funny thing is, his only other gun is a very rare chrome Colt Python 6" 357. Only Dirty Harry could carry that cinderblock. I tried to talk him into selling the 380's and 38 and he would be close to having enough to buy a new Sigma. Flame them if you like but they are a fine self defense pistol. Nobody will care about the trigger if the SHTF. No sqeeeezing, just pulling! If your buddy can hold that beast at arms lenght for 200 rounds he probably don't need a carry weapon. He's a tough guy for sure. Hope he has good luck with it and remember, he's your buddy. Don't bust his b*lls, we are all gun lovers.

cloudbuster
05-19-2012, 13:55
When I was a noob completely ignorant about handguns, I went into a local gun shop and said I was interested in a pistol for self-defense and walked out with a really great quality Bersa .380. I stupidly sold it after a couple years -- didn't realize what a really nice little pistol I had until it was gone, but all these years later I feel like that guy was really fair with me. A Bersa is a great starting pistol. If he'd tried to steer me to a really high-end gun I probably would have shied away due to cost.

The gunshop guy who sold your friend the Hi-Point probably didn't really steer him wrong, either. That cheap little gun is probably going to be rock solid for him, and as he shoots and gains experience, it gives him time to learn and think about what he really wants -- is he really going to get into shooting/carrying, or does he just want something to throw in his nightstand. If that's all, a Hi-Point 9mm will do as well as anything.

GlockFish
05-19-2012, 15:27
At least he is interested in guns now.

He'll buy a better handgun soon enough, I betcha.

boomhower
05-19-2012, 16:26
Guy likely wasn't lying. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if HP outsold Glock at the consumer level. The things are cheap and pretty damn reliable.

JordanK
05-19-2012, 16:38
I feel bad for your friend. I bought a hi-point in 2010 largely due to internet people telling me that I was being overly judgmental about them. See, my Dad had one way back when... terrible gun. Wouldn't cycle three rounds without doing something retarded. Most people's response to this anecdote was basically that every company has a lemon here and there... can't judge every hi-point based on one example... you get the idea.

I went with the 9mm. First time I took it out, it locked back between shots. Between all the shots, actually. For the first 30 rounds or so. Then it just jammed a bunch. The bullets went... just about wherever they felt like regardless of the point of aim. It took a lot of calls to the company. They were great.

As a matter of fact, that was the best thing about owning a hi-point. If that company ever made a product that DIDN'T suck so badly, I'd buy three. They talked me through quick fixes, sent me parts when they broke (and quite a few of them did... to include the trigger, the extractor and the magazine catch. Also the rear sight fell out... didn't break, just fell right out. They offered repeatedly to reimburse me for shipping if I wanted to send it in for service... which I never did. I say this because I want to make it clear that because I was too lazy to ship it, the company never got a fair chance to resolve me issues... you know, just being fair.

The last straw though... a friend bought a chronograph and we were playing with it. For whatever reason, with the same ammo, the hi-point sent 9mm out between 2-300 fps slower than my buddies Beretta. I sold it to the first pawn shop on my way home from the range... didn't even haggle, took whatever they offered (like... 50$ I think... maybe less). Thus providing an end to my several month long experiment as a hi-point owner. To recap, I bought, I cursed alot, I sold at over a 50% loss within a year.

Now, I'd be the first to admit, it's possible that the ONLY two hi-points I've ever had personal experience with were the ONLY two crappy ones... but that doesn't seem real likely to me. Whether or not that is the case, I have a pretty bad impression of their overall level of quality.

More's the pity... cause once again, I can't stress enough that they tried their absolute best to help me at every turn. Everybody I talked to seemed legitimately mystified that I was having so many issues, and they all seemed to take it as a personal affront that their company would have sent out anything less than perfect. If they ever come out with a radically different handgun (cause I'm not real interested in pistol caliber carbines), I would probably try it out just so I can pay a little bit of those guys' salaries.

dwhite53
05-19-2012, 16:45
$200 Hi-Point + $300 of ammo = LOT of range time.

$500 Glock with $0 ammo = No range time.

If he puts the $300 he saved into ammo and good quality range time, he'll be a very good shot with the Glock, when he gets it.

Don't lose a friend over this. Not everyone needs a Cadillac when a Focus will do.

All the Best,
D. White

The_Gun_Guru
05-19-2012, 18:47
IIRC when Bud's sends out the "Top 10 list" Hi-Point is on / or near the top.

You wanna know why?

Because they are cheap and the ghetto population can't afford Glocks!

Oh, too far?:rofl:

It's true. Get over it people!

TGG

TSAX
05-19-2012, 19:03
:faint:, its like going to the strip club and getting your pick of the strippers you decide to get a lap dance from the DJ who usually wears a paper bag over her head when she'd in public because she cracks too many car windows. Yes she can be serviceable but :whistling:

:50cal:

Hour13
05-19-2012, 21:28
... and walked out with a really great quality Bersa .380...

Just IMO, but I think the Bersa Thunder .380 is one of the best kept secrets going. Fantastic little guns.

:thumbsup:

Berto
05-19-2012, 21:39

Exactly.

Why piss on the guy's parade if he's happy with it and into only half what he would be on a glock. It may be all he wants/needs.
Besides all that, he may use the extra $$$ for ammo and learn to shoot circles around people with guns that cost 4X as much.

TxGlock9
05-19-2012, 23:44

If he puts the $300 he saved into ammo and good quality range time, he'll be a very good shot with the Glock, when he gets it.

Don't lose a friend over this. Not everyone needs a Cadillac when a Focus will do.

All the Best,
D. White
Not everyone is limited to $500 in their lifetime.. lmao

AA#5
05-19-2012, 23:47

All the Best,
D. White

$300.00 worth of ammo might wear out the Hi Point. :supergrin:

adamg01
05-20-2012, 00:19

I am thinking cheapskate as well. I had a buddy that would talk a big game that he was going to get a cZ-75 like mine or a Colt 1911 and every time he would come back with the cheapest Taurus they had in the shop. It bit him with the Taurus 1911 that the safety kept falling off of.

MarcDW
05-20-2012, 04:29
...goes to the Gun shop today to pick up up. money in his hand. and what does he come out with?????? a HiPoint 9mm. I was floored. he was told ...

Hey, I got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale, maybe your friend is interested??! :tongueout:

eracer
05-20-2012, 04:39
If a new shooter whipped out a Hi-Point at the range and asked me what I thought, I'd say, "Awesome! Glad to see you're getting into shooting. Stay safe."

jhoagland
05-20-2012, 06:59

I have a friend that up and bought a Hi Point. We went and shot it and it never hiccuped. The trigger was gritty and was cheap feeling. Nonetheless it was putting holes in paper COM at ten yards.

I let him shoot my RIA 1911 and he said to me that he knows where the extra money went to because it was much smoother. For what this guy needs out of a gun, the hi point will do just fine.

dakrat
05-20-2012, 07:55
So we was bugging you to death for which Glock to get..... Lol

DogRanger
05-20-2012, 08:29
Now thats funny.....

eyelikeglasses
05-20-2012, 14:28
So we was bugging you to death for which Glock to get..... Lol
Buggering:shocked:

AZson
05-20-2012, 16:32
Excellent car gun.

JordanK
05-20-2012, 18:22
Excellent car gun.

No, this is an excellent car gun... what were we talking about again?

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/0/Car-Gun--141.jpg

4 glocks
05-21-2012, 10:10
A LGS had a HP a couple days ago for $149. He marks his guns up $40 on all guns so it cost him $109. If they sold it to him for $219 they made 100% profit.
They most likely made more on the HP than a Glock.

motorcyclist
05-21-2012, 18:10
A LGS had a HP a couple days ago for $149. He marks his guns up $40 on all guns so it cost him $109. If they sold it to him for $219 they made 100% profit.
They most likely made more on the HP than a Glock.

You made 50% profit. $110 was profit and $109 was cost of goods. To profit 100% you have to steal what you sell.

JordanK
05-21-2012, 19:30
You made 50% profit. $110 was profit and $109 was cost of goods. To profit 100% you have to steal what you sell.

I'd imagine what he meant was that the LGS made it's initial investment back times 2. Thus, 100% profit. By the same arithmetic... had they made half again as much as they originally invested, they'd have made 50% profit. I do get what you are saying though. That's the problem with percentages and statistics, the numbers all get a bit squirrilly depending on who is doing the math.

motorcyclist
05-21-2012, 19:41
If I told my accountant my cost was $1, sold it for $2 and made a %100 profit he'd slap me.

JordanK
05-21-2012, 19:59
If I told my accountant my cost was $1, sold it for $2 and made a %100 profit he'd slap me.

You should get a new accountant. I mean, he is clearly good to go on math... but he sounds like he has some anger issues...:supergrin:

I figure there are at least 2 ways to calculate 100% profit, depending on how you look at a transaction.

1) You had zero overhead or initial investment. Thus, 100% of the money you make is, by definition, profit.

2) You made 100% of the initial investment, and then the same amount again. Thus, you repaid your deficit and obtained a surplus that is equivalent to 100% of said deficit.

Know what I mean?

To put it another way (in case I'm not making myself clear... happens more often than I'd like). By your (and your accountant's) reasoning... if you invested 1$ and made 3$ you would say that you had made a 66% profit. Because, obviously, you now have three dollars... but you already had one dollar to begin with. Two of those dollars are new and exciting gains... ready to be wasted on rock candy and ammunition (don't judge me... I'll spend my ill gotten gains however I want :tongueout:).

However, in the above scenario... you made twice as much tangible profit as you would have had you doubled your money (50% profit), but the percentage of profit did not double. Plus, 3 is not 200% of 1.In fact, it is 300% of 1 (I love math when the numbers are tiny :supergrin:). So, if one spends one dollar and gets back two... he now has as much as he originally had... and also 100% of that amount extra!

I'm tellin' ya... numbers are sneaky... not to be trusted.

motorcyclist
05-21-2012, 20:20
My accountant doesn't do math, he does money. Ever run a small business?

JordanK
05-21-2012, 20:26
My accountant doesn't do math, he does money. Ever run a small business?

Not unless you count a startlingly unsuccessful lemonade stand in the early 90's. :crying:

I've no doubt that you are entirely correct. To an accountant, doubling one's money would be earning 50% profit. Since 50% of the money you would have at that point would be profit... makes a lot of sense. The day I start pretending that my entirely theoretical reasoning trumps real world experience will be a bad day for me. My goal was to explain that, for those of us without that real world experience in running a business... or, you know, generally having enough assets to require retaining the services of an accountant (I don't)... doubling one's money can mean making 100% profit since the amount made is equal to the amount risked. I didn't mean to offend... sorry if I did.

motorcyclist
05-22-2012, 04:40
I didn't mean to offend... sorry if I did.

No offence taken! Touchy subject for me. People look at profits made by a company but never seem to see the expences tied up in getting that profit.

Z71bill
05-22-2012, 08:15

100% mark up = 50% gross margin

Cost $1 - sell if for $2 - you have a 100% mark up - but a 50% gross margin.

Depends on the denominator - mark up uses the cost - gross margin uses the selling price.

Most retail business talk about gross margin.

Some companies - like an accounting firm -a custom home builder -or a bank may use mark up.

Really the same thing only different.

itstime
05-22-2012, 08:36
It'll work. Go bang. Big difference though. Money probably became a factor.

Veedubklown
05-22-2012, 11:42
Wow, that sucks.

Hi Points work, but are ugly and clunky as sin.

At least it wasn't a para warthog! Bac won't even own one!

One of these days, I'm going to borrow a hi-point for an IDPA club match. Just to see.

JAFO1-12
05-22-2012, 12:07
id never seen a hi-point. i used the google machine for an image and got this

tmerritt530
05-22-2012, 12:12
Yuk at the coiled wire

svtpwnz
05-22-2012, 12:42
Sounds like the salesman smelled fresh meat when your friend came into the store. That is a store that has absolutly no concern for the customer what so ever. I have to ask though, did your friend push the issue of wanting a G19 or was he just an easy push over.

I would be pretty upset if I recommended a reliable trusted brand firearm to a friend and a LGS recommended and sold said friend a turd instead.

fnfalman
05-22-2012, 13:36
Sounds like the salesman smelled fresh meat when your friend came into the store. That is a store that has absolutly no concern for the customer what so ever. I have to ask though, did your friend push the issue of wanting a G19 or was he just an easy push over.

I would be pretty upset if I recommended a reliable trusted brand firearm to a friend and a LGS recommended and sold said friend a turd instead.

The guy bought what he obviously wanted to buy. Why blame the shop?

I find it hard to believe that a Hi-Point's sale is more profitable than a Glock's sale.

svtpwnz
05-22-2012, 18:45
The guy bought what he obviously wanted to buy. Why blame the shop?

I find it hard to believe that a Hi-Point's sale is more profitable than a Glock's sale.

If he went in asking for a Glock 19, the owner should have sold him a G19. I have no clue what his buddy actually asked for because I was not there. If his buddy asked for the cheapest piece of **** they had, then fine. However, if he asked for a G19 and was then made to believe that the Highpoint was a better deal by the salesman then yes I blame the shop.

I hate places that have poor business ethics and sell people whatever they have just to move merchandice instead of selling the customer what is best for them.

dwhite53
05-23-2012, 14:38
If a new shooter whipped out a Hi-Point at the range and asked me what I thought, I'd say, "Awesome! Glad to see you're getting into shooting. Stay safe."

Ditto!

But I'd add "want to try mine?". And if he offered I'd gladly shoot his, with compliments. No need to alienate them.

All the Best,
D. White

wk9k
05-24-2012, 23:16
Ive owned a .45 hi point and the "compact" c9 9mm. It was sort of compact though..Both guns functioned great. And were point on what I was aiming at. I like the fixed barrel they have. I just wish they were alot smaller but still with the fixed barrel. I sold them because I just got them to basically have fun with and try out for the heck of it. Im sure after a while he may start to dislike it and trade or sell it to get that glock. Or like another poster on here said he'll keep the hi point and get the glock too.

eyelikeglasses
05-24-2012, 23:21
Yuk at the coiled wire
That's to hang your truck nuts off:wow:

eyelikeglasses
05-24-2012, 23:25
Ive owned a .45 hi point and the "compact" c9 9mm. It was sort of compact though..Both guns functioned great. And were point on what I was aiming at. I like the fixed barrel they have. I just wish they were alot smaller but still with the fixed barrel. I sold them because I just got them to basically have fun with and try out for the heck of it. Im sure after a while he may start to dislike it and trade or sell it to get that glock. Or like another poster on here said he'll keep the hi point and get the glock too.
Good to hear you liked them. I've thought a couple of those(with holsters and spare mags) would be great to have for unprepared members of my family who don't like guns. And by family, I mean extended. Don't worry, there are no little elgs' running around.

Durden
05-25-2012, 00:37
Cheap sells in today's economy, period.

If one peruses the top selling firearms month over month, they're nearly exclusively lower price point firearms. I'm speaking of the sub-$300 range, such as Taurus, Keltec, etc. These guns are burning up the charts. Crime is bad and the economy sucks, which makes affordable firearms more popular than ever.

And then there are some really fine inexpensive (relatively) but NOT cheap handguns that are also volume sellers, like the M&P Shield and the CW/CM line of Kahrs, which are brilliance in manufacturing, marketing and design (because they work and S&W and Kahr sell a ton of them).

Handguns like the CW9/CM9 or S&W M&P Shield would have cost 2x as much had they come out pre-2007.

Even in rifles, inexpensive sells. Basic but reliable shotguns and hunting rifles, like H&R Pardner 12 gauge, Savage 110, Weatherby Vanguard, Stevens 200, etc., are the big sellers.

It's the economy.

fnfalman
05-25-2012, 04:15
If he went in asking for a Glock 19, the owner should have sold him a G19. I have no clue what his buddy actually asked for because I was not there. If his buddy asked for the cheapest piece of **** they had, then fine. However, if he asked for a G19 and was then made to believe that the Highpoint was a better deal by the salesman then yes I blame the shop.

You assumed that he asked for a G19. Maybe when he got there and saw the prices, suddenly Glock Perfection didn't sound too perfect after all.

I hate places that have poor business ethics and sell people whatever they have just to move merchandice instead of selling the customer what is best for them.

Maybe they should have sold him a Wilson Combat Tactical Elite instead?

chrisbritt15
05-25-2012, 10:58
You assumed that he asked for a G19. Maybe when he got there and saw the prices, suddenly Glock Perfection didn't sound too perfect after all.

He was aware of the price, he had actually shot my G23 before and thats why he when in to get the G19, But ive told him when he got it just to practice with it and be carefull but hes seems really happy with it. and from range reports he gave me hes hasnt had any problems so far with it.

svtpwnz
05-25-2012, 11:28

I didn't assume anything as can clearly be seen in my post that you quoted. I was not there and have no clue what his buddy asked for. However, it is very poor business practice to push a POS on a customer to sell an stock product and to mislead them into believing a lesser quality product is "just as good" when nothing could be further from the truth.

fnfalman
05-25-2012, 12:41
I didn't assume anything as can clearly be seen in my post that you quoted. I was not there and have no clue what his buddy asked for. However, it is very poor business practice to push a POS on a customer to sell an stock product and to mislead them into believing a lesser quality product is "just as good" when nothing could be further from the truth.

Maybe that's what they guy wanted?

Why try to sell the customer something he doesn't want?

This dude is not a "gun" guy. Maybe the thought of spending $600 on something that he may go pop a few rounds through once a year didn't appeal to him. Maybe he asked the shop employee for cheaper alternatives.

Unless somebody can show me the greater profit margin for selling a Hi-Point over a Glock, color me suspicious.

Why sell somebody a Kia when you can sell them a Porsche? What sort of nonsensical business model is that? Unless the owner a) can't afford a Porsche, and/or b) doesn't care enough to own a Porsche and only wanted a runabout.

fnfalman
05-25-2012, 12:42
He was aware of the price, he had actually shot my G23 before and thats why he when in to get the G19, But ive told him when he got it just to practice with it and be carefull but hes seems really happy with it. and from range reports he gave me hes hasnt had any problems so far with it.

Why didn't your buddy call you up for advice before making the final purchase?

Just because you wanted him to get a Glock, it doesn't mean that he wanted to get a Glock.

jerryd
05-25-2012, 12:47
Friends dont let friends buy Hi points!!!!!:wow::wow::wow:

fnfalman
05-25-2012, 12:50
Friends dont let friends buy Hi points!!!!!:wow::wow::wow:

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

People do what they do.

Veedubklown
05-25-2012, 19:30
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/575279_10150913050269324_89642764323_9748960_1623220302_n.jpg