+P+ in M&P pro? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : +P+ in M&P pro?

ScottMn
05-19-2012, 07:35
I assume it's just fine to shoot +P+ in and M&P pro but would like to double check with you fella's before taking it to the range.

thanks........

Bruce M
05-19-2012, 08:49
I would doubt it would be a problem but I might want to glance through the owner's manual.

blastfact
05-19-2012, 08:57
In general terms Smith says " No +P+ " But none of my Smith's have ever complained. :) Be them revolvers or semi auto's.

I have a new M&P 9mm Talo FS. And it's been eating over book reloads with ease.

User Beware!

bac1023
05-19-2012, 12:12
I doubt it would be an issue.

However, why somebody would want to shoot +P+ is beyond me. Its not even an SAAMI recognized loading.

Its a stupid gimmick as far as I'm concerned.

TxGlock9
05-19-2012, 12:31

However, why somebody would want to shoot +P+ is beyond me. Its not even an SAAMI recognized loading.

I have read this as well. Some companies will brand their ammunition as +P+ when in actuality they are equal to other company's +P loads.

Also the M&P is designed around the 40S&W around. I don't see why you couldn't use +P+ 9mm.

countrygun
05-19-2012, 12:50
If you think you need the +P+ in a 9mm, get a bigger gun

bac1023
05-19-2012, 14:18

Exactly my point

+P+ is a marketing ploy, through and through.

mr00jimbo
05-19-2012, 14:25
As previously stated, +p+ is not even regulated. I think that it just means, out of spec use at your own risk. +p is a different story.

Cole125
05-19-2012, 16:35

If you have a gun that can handle hot loads, you are getting the most out of it by loading it with the most powerful self defense ammo you can get.

countrygun
05-19-2012, 16:40
If you have a gun that can handle hot loads, you are getting the most out of it by loading it with the most powerful self defense ammo you can get.

So you don't see a problem with me using my S&W 58 .41 magnum with full loads, like I would use elk hunting, instead of loading my model 29 with .44 specials?

I realize that is extreme and you qualified with "self defense" but that definition is not too well defined and open to interpretation. I might as well add that the increase in pressure is exponential in return for the velocity, and because a load is marked +p+ does not guarantee that the bullet in the case will perform any better. or as well, as a better designed bullet in a lowly +p load,

CBennett
05-19-2012, 17:07

^^^ 1000000% the CORRECT answer

bac1023
05-19-2012, 17:40
As previously stated, +p+ is not even regulated. I think that it just means, out of spec use at your own risk. +p is a different story.

Exactly.

+P is regulated and is a recognized by the Sporting Arms & Ammunition Manufacturers Institute.

+P+ is not.

ShaneS
05-19-2012, 17:57
I question the +P designation. I think the +P ammo is just loaded with a powder that can achieve higher velocities at standard pressure.

Major brand factory +P+ is probably just fine. I wouldn't touch foreign, off brand or gun show +P+ ammo with a stick.

I wouldn't shoot a lot of +P+, but it probably won't hurt any modern pistol. I used to insist on +P 9mm ammo in my pistols but not sure it makes a difference anymore. I'm going to start using standard velocity ammo in my micro and compact 9mms to reduce wear and recoil and help with follow up shots.

Z71bill
05-19-2012, 18:03
I agree with the prior comments --+P+ is mostly marketing.

But a few years ago I bought a case of 124 grain JHP FEDERAL P9HS3G1 - which is +P+ :embarassed:

The FPS & foot pounds of this ammo is rated less than some +P rounds. :dunno:

It was just before ammo started drying up prior to the election - I wanted a cheap case of SD rounds to stick away for a rainy day.

I doubt Federal will sell a round that is so powerful it will blow up a modern handgun in good condition. :whistling:

I have over the last few years started to wonder why I wanted +P or +P+ ammo - MISTAKE is the only thing I can come up with - but live and learn.

I still have the whole 1,000 rounds and figure if the S ever does HTF I will be glad I have it - I am 99.9999% sure it will shoot just fine out of my GEN3 G19 & S&W M&P.

Maybe the next time I go to the range I will pop off a box just for fun.:supergrin:

ShaneS
05-19-2012, 18:33
I bought a box of Federal +P+ ammo about 6 months ago to try. I was a little anxious to try it but read that some police use it.

I didn't notice any difference in my Sig P229 than any other +P loading. Maybe I could tell a difference in my small M&P Shield and Kahr CW9 or CM9... but won't be trying.

I think any modern full-size handgun would handle it fine.

ShaneS
05-19-2012, 19:10
I can load ammo for pistols that is higher velocity but still below max pressure with Power Pistol. It can be done with other powders too.