Questions about G29 and Handloads...plus a few more Questions. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Questions about G29 and Handloads...plus a few more Questions.

hammeredbean
05-19-2012, 13:19
I have really been trying to absorb as much 10mm knowledge as possible. Here is my dilema and some questions....

My wife likes autos and will be getting her carry permit soon enough. I carry a 3" Ruger SP101 357 Magnum. It is awesome and even put two deer on our table this past winter. I have been looking to get out of revolvers and into Glocks in favor of their ease of carry, faster reloads, and ESPECIALLY their utilitarian ugliness. I am also about to start reloading.

I was thinking of trading around and getting a G29 for each of us so that I'd only be loading one caliber for two guns. I like to use ONE gun for everything....hence deer hunting with my SP101. (yes legal here) She has shot my sp101 with full power loads and can tolerate the recoil getting a nice group....but doesn't like it.

Question 1. Can I shoot lead at near full power exclusively in a factory barrel? Some say that the hexagonal rifling isn't good for lead. I plan on trying to settle on a 200 gr bullet at 1200 ish fps....maybe less. I might even settle on a 180 gr cast bullet. Is that attainable or even reasonable in a short barrel G29? This will be for my personal gun for all uses

Question 2. What is a good load with very mild recoil...similar to a 40 S&W load with the same bullet? 800-900 fps?? Something that she could shoot well and feel comfortable enough to want to practice with. 10mm performance is not the goal here. Just having one type of brass, one caliber, and hopefully the same lead.....I am a simple kind of man.

Queston 3. If I were to buy an aftermarket barrel, which is better? Lone Wolf, KKM, Storm Lake????

Question 4. What lb recoil spring would be most appropriate for Shooting 180-200gr lead 1100-1200 fps.

Question 5. If I decided to use a 135-150 ish lead bullet for her, what would be a good ballpark velocity to get her to 40 caliber type recoil?...

Thanks in advance for advice. I am glad to have a wife that loves to shoot. The last time out, she had shot 30-40 rds of 38 specials when I asked her if she'd try magnums....She shot a cylinder full of magnums with exactly the same group size as the 38's with no flinches.

dm1906
05-19-2012, 13:54
A canned answer is probably in order here. What you seem to want will be filled quite well with a fully OEM pistol. No need to change anything for high functionality and reliability. You can customize according to your specific needs or comfort in the future as needed.

As far as the lead goes, I've heard for years that the hammer-forged barrels (Glock hexagonal type) don't like cast bullets. Well, I've put about 8,000 rounds through a G22 at modest velocity, mostly 180 gr TC's at about 1,000 FPS. You can achieve this with just about any middle-of-the-road published recipe with success. If you are buying bullets, several brands of the plated bullets work very well, and they are not considered "lead", as the lead is completely encased in a copper plating. Prices are similar between the two types, in bulk. Berry's, Ranier and Frontier are common brands. Other bullets, like Hornady TMJ (Total Metal Jacket) are also "plated", but the plating is much thicker (more like a true jacket), more durable, and intended for higher velocities. Their prices follow the design. Although I do not recommend cast lead or plated type bullets for self/home defense or hunting, they are ideal for target shooting, functionally and economically, relatively speaking. If you choose cast lead, you should not have issues at the velocities you want. Choose the components that compliment your intended goal the best. If you stay "mid range" in all respects, it should be very effective. Most of what you ask is very modest, by the standards set by most of us here. Over the counter name brand 10mm ammo is generally only slightly higher power than factory .40 S&W, with similar characteristics.

hammeredbean
05-19-2012, 14:32
Awesome! Thanks for the reply. I will keep hers friendly and might gradually ramp mine up as I experiment. I will look into the plated bullets. It is nice to have everyone here to get good advice from. Thanks.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

WeeWilly
05-19-2012, 17:18
I shoot lead out of my stock Glock barrels all the time. I have read guys that say their barrels lead up dangerously when they shoot it. Probably best to keep an eye on your barrel when shooting a new load or a new bullet.

I really like my KKM barrel, but for everyday use, I would stick with stock. If you do run into leading or problems stablizing the heavy lead bullets, then maybe consider an aftermarket. You will likely run into fewer problems with feed and chambering issues when loading lead if you stick with stock.

For lighter recoil loads, I would stay with heavier bullets.

hammeredbean
05-20-2012, 07:28
Thanks. I take it that the fully supported aftermarket barrels tend to steepen the ramp up a bit to fill the space of tje umsuplrted area. Maybe this makes it a bit of a challenge to shoot semi wadcutters.

ucsdryder
05-20-2012, 11:12
I carry a g29 with an extended, ported storm lake barrel. I have had 100% reliability with it and trust it as much as I do the factory barrel. I went with the extended because it gives me increased velocity over the factory length. No issues at all carrying the longer barrel, fits in my IWB holster just fine.

dm1906
05-20-2012, 11:16
Thanks. I take it that the fully supported aftermarket barrels tend to steepen the ramp up a bit to fill the space of tje umsuplrted area. Maybe this makes it a bit of a challenge to shoot semi wadcutters.

This is true, for the most part, and a necessary evil when it comes to feeding. SWC's can be a problem with many of them, and may require a bit more crimp (case mouth taper) to help prevent snags. I abandoned SWC's for autoloaders years ago in favor of TC's and radiused target bullets. For target loads, I use bullets of the same weight and shape as the tactical/carry loads I intend to use. With some careful attention and testing, you can duplicate the expensive load performance at a fraction of the cost.

_The_Shadow
05-20-2012, 14:39
Here is what I use in my Glock 29, the Wolff non-captive two piece recoil rod with the 21 lb spring set. It works from mild to wild performance ammo.

I do shoot my own cast bullets 175 gr TCBB and 156 gr Devastator HP's thru my factory barrel and also my Storm Lake aftermarket 10mm and 40S&W barrels. I also have the Lone Wolf Dist. 357Sig and 9x25Dillon conversion barrels to utilize these cartridges as well...It pays to be a handloader. I can produce ammo for any situation to enjoy the flexability this little pistol!!! :)

hammeredbean
05-20-2012, 15:33
Here is what I use in my Glock 29, the Wolff non-captive two piece recoil rod with the 21 lb spring set. It works from mild to wild performance ammo.

I do shoot my own cast bullets 175 gr TCBB and 156 gr Devastator HP's thru my factory barrel and also my Storm Lake aftermarket 10mm and 40S&W barrels. I also have the Lone Wolf Dist. 357Sig and 9x25Dillon conversion barrels to utilize these cartridges as well...It pays to be a handloader. I can produce ammo for any situation to enjoy the flexability this little pistol!!! :)

Is the non captive recoil setup for ease of changing to different springs? Just curious.

_The_Shadow
05-20-2012, 16:22
Is the non captive recoil setup for ease of changing to different springs? Just curious.

Yes it is...however I only use the 21 lb spring set for everything. But have a calibration set of springs too.

19 lb, 21 lb, 23 lb

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j441/_The_Shadow/IMG_0336.jpg

WeeWilly
05-20-2012, 19:22

Actually, the problems I have had with chambering lead in my KKM barrel was at the throat, slightly tight for lead. The round will feed right up to the last 1/16" (about the same amount of bearing surface above the case mouth).

I know it can be reamed slightly and that would fix it, but I use the KKM for other things and just shoot the stock barrel with lead.

hammeredbean
05-20-2012, 22:30
Holy Moly. That is a nice picture with all of those barrels! This is one aspect that drew me to Glocks....their versatility. I am relieved to know I probably won't have to buy custom parts on the front end. I am totally willing to, but low on funds. I hope to be able to push a 200 grain bullet to around 1200 fps....then go hotter if it behooves me. The wife's gun will just be duplicated 40 cal. The truncated cone plated bullets seem like a pretty good compromise if necessary. Being a revolver guy, my idea of perfection is a hard cast plain base Keith Bullet....but an apple is not an orange :). I am eating up these responses.....keep them coming. By the way, Weewilly, reaming the throat of a match grade barrel might be the beez neez if it allowed the SWC to function reliably.

One more question....do any of you use Glock adjustable rear sights? They look cheap but well made....bear in mind that apart from up close plinking....I like to shoot out a ways. Coke bottles at 100 yards off a bench. My brother's 1911 fixed sight do fine for all distances for him with moderate front sight kentucky windage.

WeeWilly
05-20-2012, 23:08
Holy Moly. That is a nice picture with all of those barrels! This is one aspect that drew me to Glocks....their versatility. I am relieved to know I probably won't have to buy custom parts on the front end. I am totally willing to, but low on funds. I hope to be able to push a 200 grain bullet to around 1200 fps....then go hotter if it behooves me. The wife's gun will just be duplicated 40 cal. The truncated cone plated bullets seem like a pretty good compromise if necessary. Being a revolver guy, my idea of perfection is a hard cast plain base Keith Bullet....but an apple is not an orange :). I am eating up these responses.....keep them coming. By the way, Weewilly, reaming the throat of a match grade barrel might be the beez neez if it allowed the SWC to function reliably.

One more question....do any of you use Glock adjustable rear sights? They look cheap but well made....bear in mind that apart from up close plinking....I like to shoot out a ways. Coke bottles at 100 yards off a bench. My brother's 1911 fixed sight do fine for all distances for him with moderate front sight kentucky windage.

On the throating, I think most of the aftermarket barrel manufacturers can take care of this before shipping if you send them some dummies to use as a reference.

There are adjustable sights available, Meprolight even makes some adjustable night sights. If you want adjustable sights, are you sure you want a 29?

hammeredbean
05-21-2012, 05:32
I am positive about the G 29. I should've been a bit more serious. It is a carry gun first and foremost. I realize it is ridiculus to consider 100 yd shots and adjustable sights for a tiny belt gun.....Ha. I didn't do a good job of expressing it on paper :) I was however serious/curious about the sights as the 10mm is capable of such a wide range of bullet weights and speeds. When I shoot I always try to hit the 100 yd targets just for fun, but I don't expect much....sorry to sound silly. People would be surprized what they could do at distance if they try. By the way, later, a G20 is on the wish list to take care of the other longer stuff. Three guns, one caliber, yippee!

dpadams6
05-21-2012, 08:18
I am positive about the G 29. I should've been a bit more serious. It is a carry gun first and foremost. I realize it is ridiculus to consider 100 yd shots and adjustable sights for a tiny belt gun.....Ha. I didn't do a good job of expressing it on paper :) I was however serious/curious about the sights as the 10mm is capable of such a wide range of bullet weights and speeds. When I shoot I always try to hit the 100 yd targets just for fun, but I don't expect much....sorry to sound silly. People would be surprized what they could do at distance if they try. By the way, later, a G20 is on the wish list to take care of the other longer stuff. Three guns, one caliber, yippee!

Carry gun? Fyi. Some on here use a Wolff 21lb. Rsa.. Every time I go to range with that rsa, I always have at least one ftf using hot underwood ammo. I switch to factory rsa, and no problems.

chemboy
05-21-2012, 09:06
Seems like the 29 runs hot stuff just fine with the factory RSA.
My latest 29SF(Born 28 Apr 2012) has the RSA that looks just like the Gen4 RSA.
I had no trouble putting 180gr Underwood(the hot 1300fps fodder) thru it. Couldn't even feel the slide 'slam', if you follow me.

dpadams6
05-21-2012, 10:46
Seems like the 29 runs hot stuff just fine with the factory RSA.
My latest 29SF(Born 28 Apr 2012) has the RSA that looks just like the Gen4 RSA.
I had no trouble putting 180gr Underwood(the hot 1300fps fodder) thru it. Couldn't even feel the slide 'slam', if you follow me.

Ive heard a few others talk about that rsa and cant wait to buy one to put in my 29. Its so new that when I called glock to get one, the guy there said they didn't make a new rsa for the 29. I bet that new one will handle the hot stuff just fine and no need for an aftermarket.

hammeredbean
05-22-2012, 16:59

How fast do you push those bullets in the G29? Is 200 grain at 1200 fps too much to ask of the short barrel? I'd be happy with less, just asking. Dang, I need to get one of these coming! I am just having a hard time with the thought of selling my trusty SP101 to make it happen:eek:

_The_Shadow
05-22-2012, 20:09
It is possible to load the Hornady 200 gr XTP seated to 1.255" @ 1200+ from the stock 3,78" barrel. The load that delivered this performance for me was IMR 800X, hand weighed 9.4 grains and verified which yielded 1260 fps...just understand this is above book/manuals. You will need to creep up toward these numbers to verify if it works in your gun...

hammeredbean
09-08-2012, 15:57
In case anyone is still following this thread, I have not gotten a 10mm yet but have decided on getting a pair of G29sf's for my wife and I. I will plan on getting 165 gr plated bullets to about 1000+ fps for her, and a 200 gr plated bullet to 1000-1150 for myself. Xtreme bullets seems to make the most sense so far. Also, I intend to use Power Pistol powder to do this.

Later plans for the future will be a G20sf that might compete with my Flat Top 44 special along with after market barrels all around. I realize that the loads for my wife are 40 S&W ballistics, but I want one caliber and one set of brass as I can always recover the brass where I shoot. Does anyone have an interjection of wisdom or guidance against any of this. I would also appreciate any pet load recipes involving Power Pistol or possibly HS-6.... I use PP in my 44 and love how it meters and how forgiving it is. Thanks.

Any Cal.
09-08-2012, 16:14
It all sounds fine to me. I prefer to use a powder that meters well to keep the time spent reloading down. Using the stock set up will save you lots of grief, especially if you are new to handloading. You might have to keep your handloads within spec, but most people do that anyway.

I don't know anything about Power pistol, but going to start loads will probably get you to the recoil level you are looking for.

A bigger gun or longer barrel would walk all over the Special, but wouldn't necessarily be as nice to shoot. You may consider that with this purchase as well, most revos are a lot nicer to shoot, though snubs don't always follow that...:-)

I haven't shot a 29 at distance, but I got a 13" group @ 100 yds with plinking ammo in a 20,(only tried one group, using cast bullets that had not been weighed or sorted w/ powder dropped from a measure), so I know there is some potential for accuracy if you are into that. The sights and the trigger make it more difficult to do than with a good revo, but it is possible.