What do you think would happen if they legalize drugs ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What do you think would happen if they legalize drugs ?

dango
05-19-2012, 13:29
I think the home boys would still kill each other for turf control
but it would lessen the load on the court and penial system at great savings state-wide .
How do you see things change ?

PS. Yea , I spelled "penial" wrong , too bad !:tongueout:

PaulMason
05-19-2012, 13:32

I don't get it. Why would they still kill each other?

Mister_Beefy
05-19-2012, 13:44

because legalizing drugs don't mean homies won't still be dissin', yo.

dango
05-19-2012, 13:44

Been going on since man has learned to throw rocks

GREED !

PaulMason
05-19-2012, 13:51
Been going on since man has learned to throw rocks

GREED !

But, if there aren't any illegal drugs to sell what is there to get greedy about?

countrygun
05-19-2012, 13:51
If it were a Federal "legalization" States and municipalities would still have "blue laws" restricting or keeping them illegal.

If entire States still kept them illegal, then the Federal Government would have to spend money on enforcing Federal laws against trafficking across State lines.

Drugs would have to be taxed elsewise the alcohol distillers, tobacco industry and Pharmeceutical industry would cry "foul" since their products are taxed. The taxing would then require a new government agency would have to be developed, or an existing branch (BATFE) would have to be expanded to enforce the laws and collect the taxes. Smuggling would likely continue if the taxes were considered too high, since the smuggling aparatus is in place. To not tax it would descriminate against other taxed substances.

Since everything else we can buy for consumption is tested for safety and purity (look at the debate over unpasturized milk as an example) the "recreational drug" industry would have to be formalized and subject to product testing. (can you imagine the cry from do-gooders if a batch of "bad stuff" caused major deaths?) . It would descriminate against all other product producers whos products are rigidly tested.

With the need for control due to the issues outlined (above) the existing pharmeceutical industry would be the logical "base" for the operation, this would create a number of problems with our current perscription regulations, they could sell heroin as a "recreational" substance, but Oxycontin would still be subject to perscription regulations. How far would this go in the line between "recreational" and "theraputic" drugs? would all pharmeceuticals including antibiotics and others then be free of the need for a perscription?

vart
05-19-2012, 13:53
http://www.mikewhite.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/144661-london-riots.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/10/article-2024308-0D5EB06500000578-960_468x286.jpg

dango
05-19-2012, 13:55
Do you really think the homies would give up their turf.
Legal or not , It's like dogs pissing on trees ,that would not change.

Mister_Beefy
05-19-2012, 13:55

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/10/article-2024308-0D5EB06500000578-960_468x286.jpg

what do photos of your last birthday party have to do with this?!

glockdoc21
05-19-2012, 14:06
The worst drug in this country is alcohol. The ratio of trauma/violence/bodily harm that I see in the ER from alcohol compared to illegal drugs is probably on the order of 10:1. Legalizing drugs would stop the "war on drugs" and all of the associated waste of money and would stop LEO lives being placed at risk. It's one of the best things we could do (along w/ making DUI a felony w/ mandatory time on chain gang).

9jeeps
05-19-2012, 14:08
Ending Prohibition did not end Drunk drivers nor Stills. It would be ludicrous to think legalizing drugs will make everything nicey! Greed and Sin are still in play.

CAcop
05-19-2012, 14:16
There would probably be more thefts. I have yet to see a junkie or tweaker that can hold a job. At least one that can hold it for a long time. Even if they quit before they kill themselves with their drug of choice they still end up with brain damage. Have you ever talked to a former druggie? Tweakers are nutty and junkies are pathologically lazy. Crackheads are impulsive as hell.

In the end I don't care if they do legalize it. It is not the panacea legalization folks think it will be. It will just shift resources from drugs to property crimes.

dango
05-19-2012, 14:18
Ending Prohibition did not end Drunk drivers nor Stills. It would be ludicrous to think legalizing drugs will make everything nicey! Greed and Sin are still in play.

Ain't trying to make it nicey , just affordable on state budget.

concretefuzzynuts
05-19-2012, 14:45
Some drugs are legal yet are still a major problems. Like the one prescribed to you for your surgery, in the wrong hands they are abused, traded and sold. Another legal drug would be alcohol, abused for centuries and when abused bad for families and society. Tobacco, same thing.

It is the nature of humanity to seek things that alter feelings, even animals in the wild do.

P35
05-19-2012, 15:20
drugs will NEVER be legalized. too many folks make their living both legally and not from them..police, DEA, lawyers,bail bondsmen, the list goes on.... not to mention the thousands of dollars from confiscation

Dexters
05-19-2012, 17:55
drugs will NEVER be legalized. too many folks make their living both legally and not from them..police, DEA, lawyers,bail bondsmen, the list goes on.... not to mention the thousands of dollars from confiscation

+1000000000000000000

Same thing with the war on poverty - too many people make money off it.

Keoking
05-19-2012, 19:32
I say legalize drugs in one state as a test case, and see how it plays out.

RyanSBHF
05-20-2012, 18:32
The drug kingpins would move on to a different market, just like the bootleggers did.

stevemc
05-21-2012, 21:37
Sounds like a good idea until someone who has been up for three days kills your kid. Then you will be saying why doesn't anybody stop this, I'm gonna sue. Blah, Blah. Drugs are unnatural and devastating. If you think anything else, you haven't seen what they do.

ScottieG59
05-21-2012, 21:56
It kind of makes one wonder, before 1914, all this stuff was legal. What was America before 1914? Was it full of coke heads when cocaine was legal and used in drinks and elixirs? Cough medicine often contained opium.

Maybe the problem is that people do not accept personal responsibility. Proper conduct mattered.

randrew379
05-21-2012, 22:10
Sounds like a good idea until someone who has been up for three days kills your kid. Then you will be saying why doesn't anybody stop this, I'm gonna sue. Blah, Blah. Drugs are unnatural and devastating. If you think anything else, you haven't seen what they do.

Marijuana, coca and opium are all natural substances.

Legalization would benefit all, even those opposed to the use of drugs: no black market, violence associated with illegal trade pretty much disappears; billions saved in Drug War money; way fewer stupid police actions(risky no-knocks, unconstitutional forfeitures); and folks who don't belong in prison don' t go to prison.

The horror stories regarding drug use are just like the horror stories the media love to run involving guns- they give an incomplete and misleading picture . Most people who use cause no problems.

janice6
05-21-2012, 22:11
More hospitals would go broke. Health insurance cost would raise even faster.

Gunhaver
05-23-2012, 18:30
If it were a Federal "legalization" States and municipalities would still have "blue laws" restricting or keeping them illegal.

If entire States still kept them illegal, then the Federal Government would have to spend money on enforcing Federal laws against trafficking across State lines.

Drugs would have to be taxed elsewise the alcohol distillers, tobacco industry and Pharmeceutical industry would cry "foul" since their products are taxed. The taxing would then require a new government agency would have to be developed, or an existing branch (BATFE) would have to be expanded to enforce the laws and collect the taxes. Smuggling would likely continue if the taxes were considered too high, since the smuggling aparatus is in place. To not tax it would descriminate against other taxed substances.

Since everything else we can buy for consumption is tested for safety and purity (look at the debate over unpasturized milk as an example) the "recreational drug" industry would have to be formalized and subject to product testing. (can you imagine the cry from do-gooders if a batch of "bad stuff" caused major deaths?) . It would descriminate against all other product producers whos products are rigidly tested.

With the need for control due to the issues outlined (above) the existing pharmeceutical industry would be the logical "base" for the operation, this would create a number of problems with our current perscription regulations, they could sell heroin as a "recreational" substance, but Oxycontin would still be subject to perscription regulations. How far would this go in the line between "recreational" and "theraputic" drugs? would all pharmeceuticals including antibiotics and others then be free of the need for a perscription?

If I get some heirloom tomato seeds from my neighbor and grow my own tomatoes who do I pay taxes to before I can eat those tomatoes?

Dexters
05-23-2012, 18:50
If I get some heirloom tomato seeds from my neighbor and grow my own tomatoes who do I pay taxes to before I can eat those tomatoes?

Real estate taxes, water tax, sales tax on things you used to grow the tomatoes.

countrygun
05-23-2012, 18:51

Funny, you are allowed to brew your own beer, but only a small amount of beer drinkers do.

I don't see junkies growing their own poppies.

I will also note that, in my State which legalized medical marijuana, stores selling it for medical purposes cropped up.

Gunhaver
05-24-2012, 06:11
Funny, you are allowed to brew your own beer, but only a small amount of beer drinkers do.

I don't see junkies growing their own poppies.

I will also note that, in my State which legalized medical marijuana, stores selling it for medical purposes cropped up.

Your state only authorized a few legal dealers for a few legal consumers. When anyone can grow something that's in high demand and grows like a 'weed' there won't be much market for store bought stuff except for the special strains.

There's a lot of work in brewing beer. If you could toss a handful of beer seeds out in the back yard and harvest cold 12 packs in a few months how much do you think would be sold in liquor stores?

Heroine is far better left up to the pharmaceutical companies because it needs to have the standard warnings and dosages.

countrygun
05-24-2012, 16:01
Since the topic of the thread is,

"What do you think would happen if they legalize drugs ?"

picking just one out and arguing for it is rather like responding to

"Should full-auto weapons be de-regulated?"

by arguing that the American 180 should be legalized because it's so much fun and the ammo is cheap.

Not really addressing the scope of the thread,

Sgt127
05-27-2012, 10:02
I have a great idea, nobody will isten to me though. Free drugs.

Build great big apartment buildings with very small 300 SQ ft rooms. Little studio apartments. You sign up and you get a room. Free drugs. Good stuff. Heroin. Crack, Meth, powder coke etc. All you can snort, smoke, shoot or eat. Free.

Free food too. Three meals a day, provided.

Theres one stipulation. When you sign up for the program, you absolve the state, the fed, EVERYONE of any and all health care. If you have your own insurance, and can afford it and they want to keep you as a customer, thats fine. But, not one penny of health care will be provided. And, if female, you must get the Norplant implant. Thats it.

Do as much of the drug of your choice as you wish. I am guessing the food bill will be pretty low. The folks signing up want to be high alot more than they want to eat.

Marijuana is not included in the deal. Its pretty hard to kill yourself with weed. Weed becomes legal, but only on private property. You and your friends want to hang out at somebodies house and smoke a little weed, no problem. Want to smoke a little in the evening hanging around the house, thats fine. All the laws against public intox and driving under the influence apply to weed just as alcohol.

The numbers of folks smoking a little weed now and then might spike up for a bit, then settle down. The number of users of hard drugs will go down in pretty short order.

BicycleDay43
05-28-2012, 13:43

:upeyes::upeyes: :upeyes:

"Drugs are bad, m'kay"

Gombey
05-28-2012, 14:06
If they legalise drugs then....

Drugs will be legal!

HexHead
05-28-2012, 15:01
But, if there aren't any illegal drugs to sell what is there to get greedy about?

What makes you think there still won't be illegal drugs? They'll just move to others that are still illegal. When I hear people talking about legalizing drugs, all I hear talk about is pot. Crašk, not so much.

And even if pot, the main reason to legalize it is tlo tax it. There will still be a market for cheaper black market drugs that aren't taxed.

Brucev
05-28-2012, 18:48
but it would lessen the load on the court and penial system at great savings state-wide .
How do you see things change ?

PS. Yea , I spelled "penial" wrong , too bad !:tongueout:

What would happen if they legalized drugs? Legalizing drugs would result in a marked drop in crime. No different that when Prohibition was repealed, etc. There would be a crisis in police and sheriff departments as revenue from seizures of cash, cars, etc. would vanish. There would be a dramatic reduction in prison populations. There would be a dramatic drop in the number of Africian-Americans as a percentage of prison populations. There would be a dramatic reduction in the money that narco-terrorists could make by shipping drugs as legally available drugs would more than satisfy the demand which once used drugs from such illegal sources. The police and military of Mexico would suddenly find themselves having to look elsewhere for a nice, steady paychecks. The same would be true of those govt. officials who were pocketing bribes. There would be a increase in tax revenue generated by the legal sale of drugs. As cigarettes and alcohol have negative social consequences, the same would be true of those who abused drugs. The cost of treating such persons would best be borne by taxing the drugs, the same as is done with tobacco and alcohol, using that tax to pay for the treatment.

concretefuzzynuts
05-28-2012, 19:35

Build great big apartment buildings with very small 300 SQ ft rooms. Little studio apartments. You sign up and you get a room. Free drugs. Good stuff. Heroin. Crack, Meth, powder coke etc. All you can snort, smoke, shoot or eat. Free.

Theres one stipulation. When you sign up for the program, you absolve the state, the fed, EVERYONE of any and all health care. If you have your own insurance, and can afford it and they want to keep you as a customer, thats fine. But, not one penny of health care will be provided. And, if female, you must get the Norplant implant. Thats it.

Do as much of the drug of your choice as you wish. I am guessing the food bill will be pretty low. The folks signing up want to be high alot more than they want to eat.

Marijuana is not included in the deal. Its pretty hard to kill yourself with weed. Weed becomes legal, but only on private property. You and your friends want to hang out at somebodies house and smoke a little weed, no problem. Want to smoke a little in the evening hanging around the house, thats fine. All the laws against public intox and driving under the influence apply to weed just as alcohol.

The numbers of folks smoking a little weed now and then might spike up for a bit, then settle down. The number of users of hard drugs will go down in pretty short order.

I listened. Interesting concept that covers a lot of bases except the impact on society in regards to public interaction with others and of course who would pay for it. Certainly not tax dollars.

Sgt127
05-28-2012, 20:40
I listened. Interesting concept that covers a lot of bases except the impact on society in regards to public interaction with others and of course who would pay for it. Certainly not tax dollars.

I think we (society) are paying for them now. Medical care. Section 8 housing. Loss in thefts and burglaries. Loss of life in robberies. Food stamps. Drug treatment programs. Prisons. Jails. Govt money for all thier offspring.

Its like putting them in prison, so they can't continue to destroy society, but, they will go willingly. Unlimited free quality dope? I think it will be a self regulating population.

Gunhaver
05-28-2012, 22:40
I think we (society) are paying for them now. Medical care. Section 8 housing. Loss in thefts and burglaries. Loss of life in robberies. Food stamps. Drug treatment programs. Prisons. Jails. Govt money for all thier offspring.

Its like putting them in prison, so they can't continue to destroy society, but, they will go willingly. Unlimited free quality dope? I think it will be a self regulating population.

I like it. Unfortunately the camp that pushes hardest for drug legalization is the same camp that thinks nobody should have to suffer even as a result of their own stupidity. If the GOP really wanted to get rid of the welfare moochers they would do well to propose this very idea to the democrats who then wouldn't want anything to do with it once it clicked how many of their constituents would be scooped into body bags on a daily basis.

We all know that neither political party really want's legal drugs because they enjoy the benefits of keeping them illegal too much. It's just a bone the Democrats throw out to rally their base when they need to.

ESI Agent
06-01-2012, 12:17
The cartels would have to find another way of making money. :supergrin:

countrygun
06-04-2012, 14:46
If drugs are treated on a par with alcohol does anyone want to say "no problem for gun owners" when the headlines read,

"Methamphetamine user enters gunstore and legally buys AK-47.....blah...blah.." ?

"Man on Cocaine Spree buys 50 pounds of gunpowder and builds bomb"

"Mayor says "Legal guns and legal drug addiction claim "X" lives in city so far" Guns must go"

RustyDaleShackleford
07-03-2012, 20:37
If drugs were legalized?

Well I guess we'd empty our prison of the half or so inmates who never murdered, raped, robbed, kidnapped, or defrauded anyone.

OMG what a shame that'd be. We wouldn't have to release serious and dangerous offenders early or set them loose after trial with only an ankle monitor.

And you mean the government wouldn't be telling people how to live? Well as good small-government conservatives, we can't have that. We need to tell people what's good and bad for them, and enforce it at the barrel of a gun. Afterall, it's for their own good.

BicycleDay43
07-03-2012, 20:43
If drugs were legalized?

Well I guess we'd empty our prison of the half or so inmates who never murdered, raped, robbed, kidnapped, or defrauded anyone.

OMG what a shame that'd be. We wouldn't have to release serious and dangerous offenders early or set them loose after trial with only an ankle monitor.

And you mean the government wouldn't be telling people how to live? Well as good small-government conservatives, we can't have that. We need to tell people what's good and bad for them, and enforce it at the barrel of a gun. Afterall, it's for their own good.

Yeah but you're not getting the big picture:

Drugs are bad......M'kay. D..don't do drugs, M'kay.

RustyDaleShackleford
07-04-2012, 00:40
Yeah but you're not getting the big picture:

Drugs are bad......M'kay. D..don't do drugs, M'kay.
I don't, and don't think I ever will. I don't even use tobacco or alcohol, and don't like to use caffeine.

But just because that's my decision for my own life, it doesn't give me justification to put a gun to someone's head and demand they do the same.

BicycleDay43
07-04-2012, 02:32
I don't, and don't think I ever will. I don't even use tobacco or alcohol, and don't like to use caffeine.

But just because that's my decision for my own life, it doesn't give me justification to put a gun to someone's head and demand they do the same.

I was being sarcastic, man.

c01
07-04-2012, 02:45
If drugs are treated on a par with alcohol does anyone want to say "no problem for gun owners" when the headlines read,

"Methamphetamine user enters gunstore and legally buys AK-47.....blah...blah.." ?

"Man on Cocaine Spree buys 50 pounds of gunpowder and builds bomb"

"Mayor says "Legal guns and legal drug addiction claim "X" lives in city so far" Guns must go"

And that doesn't happen now?

jim goose
07-04-2012, 04:43
The worst drug in this country is alcohol. The ratio of trauma/violence/bodily harm that I see in the ER from alcohol compared to illegal drugs is probably on the order of 10:1. Legalizing drugs would stop the "war on drugs" and all of the associated waste of money and would stop LEO lives being placed at risk. It's one of the best things we could do (along w/ making DUI a felony w/ mandatory time on chain gang).

I agree 100%. But at best we'd decriminalize marijuana, leaving it to be grown at home like a home brewing. This would take a nice bite out of crime, empty some prison cellls, and not impact society adversely. But cocaine, meth etc..will always be a problem, socially or criminally.

RustyDaleShackleford
07-07-2012, 17:31
But cocaine, meth etc..will always be a problem, socially or criminally.
Meaning what?

Ruble Noon
07-15-2012, 06:54

I have been advocating that same position for quite some time.

John Rambo
07-19-2012, 07:54
Your state only authorized a few legal dealers for a few legal consumers. When anyone can grow something that's in high demand and grows like a 'weed' there won't be much market for store bought stuff except for the special strains.

There's a lot of work in brewing beer. If you could toss a handful of beer seeds out in the back yard and harvest cold 12 packs in a few months how much do you think would be sold in liquor stores?

Heroine is far better left up to the pharmaceutical companies because it needs to have the standard warnings and dosages.

No. Not even close to being right.

Growing Marijuana that even comes close to the strains sold in stores requires:

A) Seeds from a potent strain. Marijuana's potency and Sativa/Indica blend is determined in part by its genetics.

B) Care and dedication. It goes way behind, "Pull out the males so you don't get seeds in to ****, dog." Growing a plant, any plant, to its full potental requires precise light/dark cycles, light intensity and color control, CO2 balance, watering, temperature, humidity nutrients, and pest control. Thats not even getting into your growing medium choice and whether you want to raise the plant organically rather than using chemicals, and proper harvesting and curing procedures.

You stick a few seeds in the dirt outback, you get dirt weed.

Gunhaver
07-19-2012, 11:44
No. Not even close to being right.

Growing Marijuana that even comes close to the strains sold in stores requires:

A) Seeds from a potent strain. Marijuana's potency and Sativa/Indica blend is determined in part by its genetics.

B) Care and dedication. It goes way behind, "Pull out the males so you don't get seeds in to ****, dog." Growing a plant, any plant, to its full potental requires precise light/dark cycles, light intensity and color control, CO2 balance, watering, temperature, humidity nutrients, and pest control. Thats not even getting into your growing medium choice and whether you want to raise the plant organically rather than using chemicals, and proper harvesting and curing procedures.

You stick a few seeds in the dirt outback, you get dirt weed.

You do realize that there was a point where humans discovered and started using the stuff that just grew naturally out in the wild? It seemed to be good enough to get their attention. It got the job done. Now there are much more potent strains that are light years beyond that stuff that will do just fine in the wild. You can tell me a lot of things but you can't tell this old Missouri boy that nothing you may across out in the woods can be any good. I know better.

Ruble Noon
07-19-2012, 15:17
I don't know about legalizing drugs but, here's one example of what happens when they are decriminalized.

Portugal Decriminalized All Drugs Eleven Years Ago And The Results Are Staggering

http://www.businessinsider.com/portugal-drug-policy-decriminalization-works-2012-7?nr_email_referer=1&utm_source=Triggermail&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Business%20Insider%20Select&utm_campaign=Business%20Insider%20Select%202012-07-17

SPIN2010
07-19-2012, 15:32
Prison guard layoffs, helicopter lease time will drop, and people will pay more taxes ... just a few off the top of my head.

RustyDaleShackleford
07-20-2012, 10:26
Prison guard layoffs, helicopter lease time will drop, and people will pay more taxes ... just a few off the top of my head.
Are you joking?