Damaged Rifling does it matter? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Rifling does it matter?

DeLo
05-19-2012, 13:55
I shot a used SKS the other day and when I returned home to clean it I noticed a scratch in the barrel perpendicular to the rifling about 2 inches from the crown of the barrel. I cleaned it well when I first got it and never noticed the scar in the bore before. It does look like it is through the chrome lined and to the actual barrel. I don't use steel cleaning rods and I figured it was done by the previous owner.
I just plan on shooting it more but can this have a serious affect on combat accuracy? I just planned on having the rifle as something fun to shot and not a DMR or anything like that.

deputy tom
05-19-2012, 14:03
I shot a used SKS the other day and when I returned home to clean it I noticed a scratch in the barrel perpendicular to the rifling about 2 inches from the crown of the barrel. I cleaned it well when I first got it and never noticed the scar in the bore before. It does look like it is through the chrome lined and to the actual barrel. I don't use steel cleaning rods and I figured it was done by the previous owner.
I just plan on shooting it more but can this have a serious affect on combat accuracy? I just planned on having the rifle as something fun to shot and not a DMR or anything like that.

I'm not sure what a DMR is but I doubt if a scratch will hamper use/combat accuracy.tom.

vafish
05-19-2012, 14:12
Sks?,

You won't notice the difference.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

collim1
05-19-2012, 14:43
I cant imagine it will make any difference. Especially inside of 150yds. I have shot some SKS's with pretty awful bores and they still hit minute of paper plate at 100yds.

DeLo
05-19-2012, 14:53
I cant imagine it will make any difference. Especially inside of 150yds. I have shot some SKS's with pretty awful bores and they still hit minute of paper plate at 100yds.
Yes, this was truly a MOPP shooter yesterday.

Markasaurus
05-19-2012, 16:18
Shoot it again and check accuracy. If it's unacceptable, then the scratch matters. If accuracy is adequate, forget the scratch is there. And give a few extra strokes of the brush when cleaning the bore.
The alternative is to rebarrel it of course. If you can return it, i'd do that now.

TN.Frank
05-19-2012, 16:24
The crown of the barrel is the most important part, don't think a scratch will effect things much. Are you sure it's not the gas port, they can look like a defect in the bore if you get caught by surprise by it when you're looking down the bore.
Anyway, I think you'll be ok, not like it's a Camp Perry Match Rifle.

NEOH212
05-19-2012, 16:50
It isn't going to matter one bit if your able to hit what your aiming at.

In any gun that I don't expect to drive tacks with (such as a SKS) I wouldn't even worry about it so as long as it's accuracy is useable. If your that worried about it, there are plenty surplus barrels to be had and they aren't all that hard to install. (just make sure it's headspaced correctly!)

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Berto
05-19-2012, 21:25
I've seen guns with frosted and even some pitted bores that shot to the typical standard of their types, accuracy wise. I wouldn't worry about a scratch.