Sig Novak night sight question. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sig Novak night sight question.

WarEagle32
05-19-2012, 16:56
I have a Sig 1911 that came with factory Novak night sights that I bought about 4 years ago. I have 4 Glocks with factory nights that they warranty for 15 years. I was wondering what type of warranty Sig or Novak might have on the sights because they are already really dim?

NEOH212
05-19-2012, 17:06
I have a Sig 1911 that came with factory Novak night sights that I bought about 4 years ago. I have 4 Glocks with factory nights that they warranty for 15 years. I was wondering what type of warranty Sig or Novak might have on the sights because they are already really dim?

I'm not sure on the warranty Sig has for their sights. The manufactures of night sighs warranty their sights to have useable light for the duration of the warranty period. That doesn't mean that they won't get dim.

The tritium in your night sights is radioactive and will decay with time, and eventually burn out. (I assume you already know that.) Many of the night sights I installed on several of my handguns just a few years ago aren't as bright as they were when I installed them. It's nothing to worry about and it's perfectly normal.

Now, what the question is, how dim is dim? If the sights are barely visible in low light, you may have a bad sight. Are all three dots the same brightness or is only one more dim than the others?

WarEagle32
05-19-2012, 20:08
All 3 dots are equally very dim. Mine may be abnormal, but I wouldn't think a name brand like Novak would be almost burned out in right at 4 years from purchase. Anyone know if I should contact Sig or Novak?

collim1
05-20-2012, 04:46
All 3 dots are equally very dim. Mine may be abnormal, but I wouldn't think a name brand like Novak would be almost burned out in right at 4 years from purchase. Anyone know if I should contact Sig or Novak?

If it came with Novaks on it, then I would contact Sig. It is not normal for them to be that dim after 4 years.

I have a 1996 Sig P239 with the original Siglite sights on it and they are very dim, but still useable in a totally dark environment.

silversport
05-20-2012, 06:53
are yours marked Novak's because SiG also uses Champion made Novak's like sights (I think they have the grooves on the sides of the rear sight)...in any event...SiG should make it right...

The night sights on my SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX from 2006 has dimmer sights than any other night sighted pistol I have ever owned but they have always been that way...

Bill