"Bang for Buck" Preps Award Nominations [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : "Bang for Buck" Preps Award Nominations

Bolster
05-19-2012, 17:31
A thread where you nominate what you think is the best "bang for the buck" prep. Most protection for least cash layout, etc.

Since a single bullet is such an obvious nomination (costs pocket change, and can save your life) I'm going to get that nomination out of the way in the first post.

How about you, what do you think deserves a nomination for "so low cost, and so much benefit, everybody should do it/buy it immediately" award?

(Legal disclaimer: No actual awards will be issued. Your computer may be monitored if you post in this thread. Nominations are the intellectual property of the original poster. Post only at your own risk. Posting known to the State of California to cause cancer.)

Bolster
05-19-2012, 17:35
Hey, Bolster, great idea for a thread. I nominate one pound of Calcium Hypochlorite, which may purify up to 15,000 gallons of water for about $4.50.

Everybody should stash a pound of it.

:wavey:

bdcochran
05-19-2012, 18:21
1 Greg McGee Engineering AA flashlight for $25 plus shipping.

Aceman
05-19-2012, 18:29
The Maverick 88 Shotgun. Just as reliable as all the other big boys, with a better set of controls than either. Usually about $200. Spend the savings on ammo, or more important things like food and water! No need to over do the armory.

There is bang for the buck!

RWBlue
05-19-2012, 18:39
Condom......can carry water, can save you millions.

Chindo18Z
05-19-2012, 18:56
Aspirin. $2.00

Probably the cheapest and most beneficial over-the-counter medicine one could buy.

Headaches, muscle pain, fevers, toothaches, sprains, sunburn, insect bites, soreness, heart attack/stroke prevention, child safe, etc.

There are other analgesics that do a better job reducing inflammation, but aspirin is still King for most daily ailments...and one of the best preventative non-prescription drugs you can use.

M1A Shooter
05-19-2012, 19:49
great posts. my initial reactions just reading the title was the first 3 posts.

i will add a good dog, most any will do and can be had for free pretty easily. what little cost of maintenance is easily offset by the increased alertness for security as well as morale booster at times.

RWBlue
05-19-2012, 20:14
great posts. my initial reactions just reading the title was the first 3 posts.

i will add a good dog, most any will do and can be had for free pretty easily. what little cost of maintenance is easily offset by the increased alertness for security as well as morale booster at times.

What does a dog cost per year?

thesurefire
05-19-2012, 20:23
Good thread.

I'll throw out the obvious, exercise. Situps, pushups and running. All they cost you is time.

The next best is to copy all your important documents onto a encrypted flash drive. Home deed, contact list, bank account numbers, addresses of relatives, Costs a few hours and 20 dollars to do, but it can save you major headaches later.

Also, add to that flash drive a few gigs of free info, maps, how to build things, solar power, water sanitation, and medical info. It's all free if you take the time to download it and dump it on the little stick. Then you can use it on any computer in the world.

Networking - Take the time to work out who's on the same page as you.

I agree with a cheap (200 dollar) shotgun and 50 rounds of ammo. From near defenseless to well protected in 240 dollars.

Thick (2-4 mil) plastic sheeting and duct tape. 50$ gets you basically prepared to quarantine for any Nuclear, chemical or biological event.

Rubbing alcohol - sanitize anything for 2 dollars.

Anti fungal spray - 3 dollars for a can that will cure everything from itchy feet to ringworm.

Mouthwash - at 5 bucks a bottle you should use it everyday, SHTF or not. Your mouth will thank you.

2 liter bottles - free to save if you drink pop and fill with water for later.

Cut pieces of 2x2 for all opening windows. Costs 10 dollars to secure your whole house from having the windows open when you don't want them two.

Alone that line, Door chains. It's hard to forget to lock a door when you see the chain dangling. Plus they are much harder to kick in than a single lock.

While slightly situation specific, a few of these I think are a great investment. I don't go to hotels without one.

Amazon.com: GE 50246 Smart Home Door Stop Alarm: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31jSr3DOtQL.@@AMEPARAM@@31jSr3DOtQL

for just 40 dollars and you have a basic home security system for all your important doors. They are very loud and can easily be heard from anywhere in the house.

Bolster
05-19-2012, 21:20
Dang, good post Thesurefire. Thanks for the righteous suggestions.

TactiCool
05-19-2012, 21:50
You really can't put a price on education, and besides, it can never be taken away from you. That is why most of my budget goes toward the best training I can get.

http://www.academi.com/pages/train/train-overview

http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/

http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com/

Bolster
05-19-2012, 23:13
You really can't put a price on education, and besides, it can never be taken away from you.

LOL! That's what my parents used to tell me. They never mentioned the results of a motorcycle accident, sports such as boxing and football, brain cancer, or dementia. As someone who has invested heavily in education, I'm all too aware that it can be taken away--by one good blow to the head!

TactiCool
05-19-2012, 23:20
LOL! That's what my parents used to tell me. They never mentioned the results of a motorcycle accident, sports such as boxing and football, brain cancer, or dementia. As someone who has invested heavily in education, I'm all too aware that it can be taken away--by one good blow to the head!

Well, hopefully all the blood and sweat that one puts into the education that I am referring to - will help to prevent that fateful blow from occurring. And maybe, just maybe, it will allow you to discover something about yourself that you would otherwise not have found.

thesurefire
05-20-2012, 02:59
Education is key. You can learn almost anything you want for the price of an internet connection. It certainly wont hurt to spend an hour a day studying instead of watching american idol.

A few others I thought of:

Pens and paper - 10 dollars gets years of supply, and near endless uses. Make lists, entertain kids, keep a journal, draw maps, leave notes, write a story, keep from being bored, ect.

Gloves - 5 dollars to keep your hands from blistering and being cut. Useful for cleanup after pretty much every event.

Tea candles - 3 dollars for 200+ hours of light and heat.

Salt - 5 dollars for a big bag. Melts ice. Preserves meat. makes cold water colder. Lots of trade value.

Whistles - 2 dollars each, in a situation with a group with no cell phones and people out and about working, its a much better early warning system than trying than trying to shout.

A radio - for 15 dollars there just isn't an excuse not to have a basic one. Cell phone towers are easily overloaded, radio waves are much more resilient. Get one that uses AA batteries.

Surge protectors - This ones really only for those with expensive computers/TVs or other specialty equipment.

Walking around your area. Do you even know whats 3 blocks over, and 2 blocks down the road in every direction? Looking at a map doesn't cut it, go look. Are there drainage areas that will clog and could close roads if not cleaned? Are there big hills that pose flood threats or pockets of gang territory near you?

Walk around your house/apartment and map where the electrical box is, the water and gas shut off is, and if you need special tools to operate them, or if they're locked. Do it now and save yourself lots of frustration if you ever need to do it when it really counts.

Having a plan - all it takes is a few sheets of paper and talking to your family. Where will you meet in a house fire? is someone going to go get grandma? where will you go then? what if that location is not accessible?

Similarly, have a bug out list. Chemical spills happen. Fires happen. Floods happen and the list goes on, and if you need to leave you dont want to forget something important like the wife's diamonds, or the dogs vaccination records. In this list include any prescriptions you take. Your doctor and dentists name and numbers.

Rags or wound dressings, save your old cloths instead of throwing them away. In hard times you can always wear them again even if their are holes in them.

keep a 20 dollar bill in your car. Running out of gas sucks. Its even worse if you don't have your wallet.

I miss mitchshrader, he was the master of free and cheap preps.

Bolster
05-20-2012, 09:48
Well, hopefully all the blood and sweat that one puts into the education that I am referring to - will help to prevent that fateful blow from occurring.

Truly. Maybe we should put "a good helmet" on this list.

Bolster
05-20-2012, 09:57
A radio - for 15 dollars there just isn't an excuse not to have a basic one. Cell phone towers are easily overloaded, radio waves are much more resilient. Get one that uses AA batteries.

Agreed. Sony ICF-S10MK2 runs on 2AA, highly rated, $10 on Amazon. I think I own 4 of these now? One in each BOB/GHB.

RWBlue
05-20-2012, 11:28
Agreed. Sony ICF-S10MK2 runs on 2AA, highly rated, $10 on Amazon. I think I own 4 of these now? One in each BOB/GHB.

Everyone probably has a radio....but not everyone has one that will pick up short wave additional freq.s. Get one that will pick up the additional freq.s.

Bolster
05-20-2012, 11:30
Everyone probably has a radio....but not everyone has one that will pick up short wave additional freq.s. Get one that will pick up the additional freq.s.

Can you recommend a $10 one?

emt1581
05-20-2012, 11:31
Hey, Bolster, great idea for a thread. I nominate one pound of Calcium Hypochlorite, which may purify up to 15,000 gallons of water for about $4.50.

Everybody should stash a pound of it.

:wavey:

Is this true?? Does it even kill viruses and bacterias or no? Where do you find it to buy?

Thanks

-Emt1581

emt1581
05-20-2012, 11:34
The Maverick 88 Shotgun. Just as reliable as all the other big boys, with a better set of controls than either. Usually about $200. Spend the savings on ammo, or more important things like food and water! No need to over do the armory.

There is bang for the buck!

+1000!!!

I have about half-dozen of them. I open the boxes, make sure they work, put them back after cleaning/lubing them and add a few boxes of 00 Buck and Slugs, a buttstock shell carrier and seal them back up. Oh I also throw in a hack saw blade for obvious reasons. AWESOME high value guns!

-Emt1581

Bolster
05-20-2012, 11:43
Is this true?? Does it even kill viruses and bacterias or no? Where do you find it to buy?

Thanks

-Emt1581

I'm probably not a credible respondent, given I made the original claim, but chlorine does kill giardia, crypto, and viruses, which is why it's used to clean city water, and to clean pools. It does nothing to remove poisons in the water so it's not the be-all-end-all.

FINDING it, proved for me, to be a challenge! Lots of places sell pool shock that consists of different chemicals. I finally found mine at a specialty pool supply brick-and-mortar store. You can buy it on Amazon (I paid $4, Amazon is I think $ 10-12).

emt1581
05-20-2012, 11:46
Personally, I'm looking at what item(s) I used the most every day.

#1 goes to my multi-tool. It's not cheap around $150 (I think) but it's lasted me 5+ years so far and I use it HEAVILY daily.

As far as items that are cheap and efficient (in no specific order)...

1. Fresnel lens- I can carry it in my wallet or pretty much anywhere else. I can start fires and get a better look at wounds.

2. Paracord- I've used this stuff for everything from tying bundles of sticks to towing a trailer....amazing stuff.

3. Tool Logic Card- Oddly enough I've used the toothpick far more than anything else but the knife, screwdriver and opener have been used a lot as well....the compass and magnifying glass are 100% useless.

4. Flashlight- I use a Fenix. But just having the ability to light up the dark is VERY powerful. LED's cost a few coins each but could save you hours or even days worth of time during a survival situation. Even a cheap $5-$10 larger/powerful light will give you increased defensive use capabilities (lighting up a target/area)

5. Emergency Candles- Super cheap (a buck at most dollar stores) and will give you the ability to see/cook...and with enough of them...stay warm short term

6. Lighter- 2 bucks for 7 of them (used to be 8) at Wal-mart. I've seen people complain about the cheap scriptos but I've been using them for years without a problem.

-Emt1581

RWBlue
05-20-2012, 12:17
Can you recommend a $10 one?

Nope, my used one cost me $20.

Woofie
05-21-2012, 17:08
You really can't put a price on education, and besides, it can never be taken away from you. That is why most of my budget goes toward the best training I can get.

http://www.academi.com/pages/train/train-overview

http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/

http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com/

Are you by chance a Southeastern student?

I second education, with the qualifier that it be in a technical field (engineering, natural sciences, math, medicine).

I'll add situational awareness. I don't mean only being aware of the people around you and the neighborhood you're in, although that is part of it. Are you working somewhere slippery? How's your hand positioning using that saw? Also taking note of your environment, like ponds, fruit trees and bushes, etc. This one is free and will pay dividends the first time you don't slip and hit your head or cut your finger off.

Both of those are useful even if the S doesn't HTF.

ChuteTheMall
05-21-2012, 17:25
Everyday preps:

Toilet paper. A luxury for some, a necessity for others.:toilet:

I was going to suggest 2L soda bottles but I was too late.

Clif Bars; a Clif bar and a pint of water means I can skip lunch if I need to.

Bic lighters, plus book matches in plastic baggies.
Because exotic fire starters are less convenient, more expensive, and reserved for longer term situations.

A tiny knife on my key chain.
Because my co-workers don't need to know about my favorite knives, and a little one inch blade doesn't look like a weapon.

quake
05-22-2012, 09:19

-Emt1581

Yes. A pound will make ~100 or 125 gallons of chlorine stock; basically identical strength-wise to the clorox you get at the store. IIRC, it's 1/8 oz of the granules per gallon of water; have to look it up to be sure. Then use that chlorine stock to treat the water; works out to something like 12,000-15,000 gallons of treated water in all.

-edit - Found the pdf in my pc; it's from http://water.epa.gov/aboutow/ogwdw/upload/2006_09_14_faq_fs_emergency-disinfection-drinkingwater-2006.pdf. It is 1/8 oz per gallon; they call it 1/4 oz for two gallons here, or "a heaping teaspoon", which is probably even easier & a better way to remember it.
Add and dissolve one heaping teaspoon of high-test granular calcium hypochlorite (approximately ¼ ounce) for each two gallons of water, or 5 milliliters (approximately 7 grams) per 7.5 liters of water. The mixture will produce a stock chlorine solution of approximately 500 milligrams per liter, since the calcium hypochlorite has available chlorine equal to 70 percent of its weight. To disinfect water, add the chlorine solution in the ratio of one part of chlorine solution to each 100 parts of water to be treated. This is roughly equal to adding 1 pint (16 ounces) of stock chlorine to each 12.5 gallons of water or (approximately ½ liter to 50 liters of water) to be disinfected. To remove any objectionable chlorine odor, aerate the disinfected water by pouring it back and forth from one clean container to another.

TactiCool
05-22-2012, 18:24
Are you by chance a Southeastern student?

I second education, with the qualifier that it be in a technical field (engineering, natural sciences, math, medicine).

I'll add situational awareness. I don't mean only being aware of the people around you and the neighborhood you're in, although that is part of it. Are you working somewhere slippery? How's your hand positioning using that saw? Also taking note of your environment, like ponds, fruit trees and bushes, etc. This one is free and will pay dividends the first time you don't slip and hit your head or cut your finger off.

Both of those are useful even if the S doesn't HTF.

Yes, I am a junior at SLU majoring in Political Science. I have connections and some experience in the legal field and that is what I am pursuing. I've got a thing for writing, but english is not for me, I decided.

Also, I did not grow up in Hammond, but rather a very small town about 50 miles to the east. I grew up in a heavily forested area, which is also in a flood zone. There have been occurences where part of my morning commute involved paddling in a canoe. I have lived without electricity for months on end, due to hurricanes and tornadoes. And as far as S&P is concerned, I've got the basics covered.

My main focus now is getting the best training that I can. In fact, tomorrow I will be going to see one of my instructors in Mississippi.

Woofie
05-22-2012, 19:32
Yes, I am a junior at SLU majoring in Political Science. I have connections and some experience in the legal field and that is what I am pursuing. I've got a thing for writing, but english is not for me, I decided.

Also, I did not grow up in Hammond, but rather a very small town about 50 miles to the east. I grew up in a heavily forested area, which is also in a flood zone. There have been occurences where part of my morning commute involved paddling in a canoe. I have lived without electricity for months on end, due to hurricanes and tornadoes. And as far as S&P is concerned, I've got the basics covered.

My main focus now is getting the best training that I can. In fact, tomorrow I will be going to see one of my instructors in Mississippi.

That's cool. I majored in Political Science at LSU. Now I'm working on a BS in Math at Southeastern. So I'm something like a 7th year senior.:faint:

As it stands now I live within walking distance of the Amite River.

Bolster
05-22-2012, 20:07
Nope, my used one cost me $20.

Well don't make me grovel for information about the shortwave radio! What brand, model, what should I be looking for?

RMTactical
05-22-2012, 20:15
Water and TP.

RWBlue
05-22-2012, 20:20
Well don't make me grovel for information about the shortwave radio! What brand, model, what should I be looking for?

I don't know much about them. I have only used mine for a total of 24 hours of so. I should probably test this out yearly, but.....

Mine is a Radio Shack DX-398 AM/FM/SW/MW/LW

If you have to spend a lot of money to get one.......you might consider a VX-8 ham radio. It is a do everything radio in a small package, but it is expensive.

G29Reload
05-22-2012, 21:26
SPAM.

No, really. SPAM.

1,000 calories packed in that hunger grenade. If I could only have one can a month in a dire situation, or one every two weeks, I'd have protein and fat covered.

Flashlights.

Liquor, some powerful barter.

My fireplace cause it can burn anything.

Cheapo (20$) camp stove that takes 1b propane cylinders. Can cook all month on one.

Bolster
05-22-2012, 21:37
I don't know much about them. I have only used mine for a total of 24 hours of so. I should probably test this out yearly, but.....

Mine is a Radio Shack DX-398 AM/FM/SW/MW/LW

So, you bought it for 10 cents on the dollar! Daymn. Gets high reviews, too. Well, too rich for my blood.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/542?page=3

If Im'a spend that coin, I'll get a second ham transceiver.

I recollect there's a very small AM FM shortwave that's inexpensive and popular with the prep crowd, but can't recall what it is.

Wait. This may be it.

http://www.countycomm.com/gp4light.html

RWBlue
05-22-2012, 21:50
So, you bought it for 10 cents on the dollar! Daymn. Gets high reviews, too. Well, too rich for my blood.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/542?page=3

If Im'a spend that coin, I'll get a second ham transceiver.

I recollect there's a very small AM FM shortwave that's inexpensive and popular with the prep crowd, but can't recall what it is.

Wait. This may be it.

http://www.countycomm.com/gp4light.html

I get lucky every once and a while.

GP4light looks nice.

RWBlue
05-22-2012, 21:52
SPAM.
No, really. SPAM.
1,000 calories packed in that hunger grenade. If I could only have one can a month in a dire situation, or one every two weeks, I'd have protein and fat covered.

I remember seeing SPAM years ago, but I don't think I have seen SPAM in years.

Where can I get it for a good price?
How long will it last on the shelf if I don't eat it?

Woofie
05-23-2012, 09:28

Walmart. Forever.

TactiCool
05-23-2012, 16:26
That's cool. I majored in Political Science at LSU. Now I'm working on a BS in Math at Southeastern. So I'm something like a 7th year senior.:faint:

As it stands now I live within walking distance of the Amite River.

Did you happen to take Latin 102 this past semester?

Woofie
05-23-2012, 19:49
Did you happen to take Latin 102 this past semester?

I did. Who are you? You can PM me if you want.

TactiCool
05-26-2012, 20:40
I did. Who are you? You can PM me if you want.

You really didn't think you could hide from British Intelligence did you? :supergrin:

http://www.thenoobnews.com/uploads/2010/11/Daniel-Craig-as-James-Bond.jpg

PM sent

G29Reload
05-26-2012, 21:12

3 for 5$ is a great price, occasionally on sale.

Usual WM price is 2 for 5$.

Exp dates usually run about 3-4 years.

According to hormel, it may never expire, that's just the lawyers that make em put it on there. 10 years, easy.

They have spicey with Tabasco in it.
Black pepper flavor.
Turkey is pretty good.
Bacon flavor.
hickory smoke is the bomb.
Regular old plain old.
Low fat/sodium.

ted1
05-26-2012, 22:19
Walmart. Forever.

Spam Will not last for ever Even freeze dried survival food Has a limit. Mountain house freeze dried food If it is in the can will last about 30 years. I doubt that spam will last more than a year or 2 on the shelf.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Bolster
05-26-2012, 22:42
I'm pretty happy with any food prep that will last 2 years, since I rotate. But...(in monty python old-lady voice) I DON'T LIKE SPAM!

mac66
05-27-2012, 19:47
A Swiss Army Knife is all you really need to survive indefinitely.

G29Reload
05-27-2012, 19:52
I doubt that spam will last more than a year or 2 on the shelf.

Oh ye of little faith.

It comes stock with a 4 year expiration date, one of the longest of any canned food I've seen.

The factory says a decade or more if kept sealed cool, dry place. It has enough preservatives in it.

I'm pretty happy with any food prep that will last 2 years, since I rotate. But...(in monty python old-lady voice) I DON'T LIKE SPAM!

Its not my first choice. Tends to be a bit greasy. Fattening. Probably colon cancer inducing over the long term.

But periodically, fried up with potatoes and scrambled eggs, or with cheese and a pickle on a sandwich, or stir fried with some rice and pineapple and soy sauce…it can sure save a trip to the super market.

For a slightly different tilt, find the epic thread I started awhile back about DAK ham. thats got a 4 year shelf life too.

emt1581
05-27-2012, 19:59
A Swiss Army Knife is all you really need to survive indefinitely.

MacGyver...is that you?? :wavey:

-Emt1581

Woofie
05-27-2012, 20:46
Oh ye of little faith.

It comes stock with a 4 year expiration date, one of the longest of any canned food I've seen.

The factory says a decade or more if kept sealed cool, dry place. It has enough preservatives in it.

Its not my first choice. Tends to be a bit greasy. Fattening. Probably colon cancer inducing over the long term.

But periodically, fried up with potatoes and scrambled eggs, or with cheese and a pickle on a sandwich, or stir fried with some rice and pineapple and soy sauce…it can sure save a trip to the super market.

For a slightly different tilt, find the epic thread I started awhile back about DAK ham. thats got a 4 year shelf life too.

I think Spam could make the four year expiration on the counter out of the can.

DAK hams are pretty good considering it's canned meat. I opened one the other day to fry up with some eggs.

Woofie
05-27-2012, 20:47
Spam Will not last for ever Even freeze dried survival food Has a limit. Mountain house freeze dried food If it is in the can will last about 30 years. I doubt that spam will last more than a year or 2 on the shelf.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Literally forever. I field tested it.:supergrin:

malleable
05-28-2012, 16:56
tagged

mac66
05-28-2012, 17:07
MacGyver...is that you?? :wavey:

-Emt1581

Give me a SAK and I will build a house and be living high on the hog in a month or two. :supergrin:

emt1581
05-28-2012, 17:52
Give me a SAK and I will build a house and be living high on the hog in a month or two. :supergrin:

I can say the same for my pocket knife....then again mine has a 6" kukri blade that can hack limbs off of trees or zombies.

-Emt1581

ric0123
05-28-2012, 22:03
Head lamps! I love flashlights like everyone else, but not having to hold them in your neck is really nice!

J&J first aid kits.

The small white ones for under $2. Got one in my drawer at work, got one in my briefcase

Medium size blue ones.. under $8. Glove compartment.

Big clear ones. under $15 for the house.

If you watch it at Walgreens, they go on sale fairly often. I give them away as presents.

streamlight keychain flashlights. $6.

$20 in my car's ashtray has saved me more than a couple times

ric0123
05-28-2012, 22:05
Nagaline bottles. Under $10. Indestructible and really handy. Ive got 2 in my BOB, one storing food, other storing supplies. About 4 others just around the house. Nice for a day at the range, a hike, whatever. Beware of the Chinese ones that still may have BPH in them. REI sells them for the lowest price, wide selection of colors and sizes. The 32 oz is the most common, they have larger ones also. If you get the wide mouth (which I do not like personally) they screw into the bottom of an MSR miniworks water filter.

Bolster
05-28-2012, 22:56
Nagaline bottles. Under $10. Indestructible and really handy.

True. While working on my PTB project (Public Transport Bag) I was trying to make everything as cheap as possible and still functional.

I tried to use various alternates to a Nalgene bottle, but all leaked or did not have a wide mouth to add ice. So back to Nalgene.

Nothing wrong with BPA, it's just the latest scare to "hustle" the public. The FDA recently did a review; they tend to be hair-trigger but they could find nothing wrong, so it's still "allowed," O thank you great nanny state.

SFCSMITH(RET)
05-29-2012, 06:14

Sent from my DROID RAZR

You sir, are wrong. In fact, on Armours web site, they state, if the can is undamaged, the product is good to go. PERIOD. No disclaimers or caveats.

Canned goods last way longer than people think, or more importantly way longer than GROCERS want you to think.

Even the F/D and dehydrated stuff last longer than the package states, as long as the package is UNDAMAGED, and storage conditions are not to far from the norm.

Two weeks ago I and the wife ate MH lasagna from a pouch purchased in '98 for a 10 day bike trip. They have a "shelf life" of 7 years.. or, they "went bad" 7 years ago.. They were fine. Still have 2 pouches left from that purchase, will eat them this summer when camping at some point I guess.

DoctaGlockta
05-29-2012, 08:13

You need to bump that bad boy again to the front page.

We need DAK ham updates.

bdcochran
06-02-2012, 07:10
Although not what you think of when you think about a fresh tasting meal, Spam is sold with an expiration date 2 years in the future, however research at Hormel says that a well-sealed case of Spam would remain edible for 12-15 years, if not longer. In their depicted timeline of food shelf life, Spam was at the ‘end’ of the list, with the caption “No everyday food lasts longer than this icon.” Yikes!

dissthis
06-02-2012, 07:21
I inherited a foot locker that was my parents (parents not dead; they are RVers now) that they used for camping...in it was a can of spam...at least 20 years old...maybe I'll give it a try...:wow:

rkwrichard
06-02-2012, 09:25
A P 38 can opener

RWBlue
06-02-2012, 10:49
I inherited a foot locker that was my parents (parents not dead; they are RVers now) that they used for camping...in it was a can of spam...at least 20 years old...maybe I'll give it a try...:wow:

I would appreciate it if you did an experiment.

Buy a can of new and take pictures of both inside and out.

If you think it is good....well eating it is up to you.

kirgi08
06-02-2012, 12:20
No bulges?,it should be fine.'08.

JDSTG58
06-08-2012, 15:32