The Unavoidable Realities of On-Site Procurement [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The Unavoidable Realities of On-Site Procurement

TactiCool
05-19-2012, 23:34
Let's face it, it is simply not possible, or prudent, to stockpile all of the necessary supplies and equipment for every unforeseeable circumstance. And even if one can store all of those necessary supplies, those supplies will eventually run out or perish.

It is also true that in a WROL-type situation, that supplies can be damaged or stolen. One may even have to move to a different location and leave certain supplies behind.

Therefore, it is necessary to take one's own environment into consideration and inventory locally available resources that one would need to survive.

So, how have YOU planned for OSP?

ArmoryDoc
05-20-2012, 07:19
Explain your acronyms and I would be more inclined to chime in.

redbrd
05-20-2012, 07:29
Hopefully the majorty of people would lean towards production and barter. A new sense of order would quickly emerge and people could begin rebuilding.
Hopefully we will only find out in the movies.

Glockdude1
05-20-2012, 08:00
Let's face it, it is simply not possible, or prudent, to stockpile all of the necessary supplies and equipment for every unforeseeable circumstance. And even if one can store all of those necessary supplies, those supplies will eventually run out or perish.

It is also true that in a WROL-type situation, that supplies can be damaged or stolen. One may even have to move to a different location and leave certain supplies behind.

When you are prepared, these details are already taken care of.

:cool:

kirgi08
05-20-2012, 08:16
Yep.'08.

bdcochran
05-20-2012, 08:48
Actually, if you had read OP's posting of the other day, you would understand the context.

Walk, ride a bike, drive around your neighborhood. Spot the fruit trees, cover, the contents of open garages, who has a motorcycle. Take alternative routes to and from your home. Make note of the occupations of not just your immediate neighbors, also the people living a few blocks away.

OP isn't advocating stealing, leaching or taking from other people. He simply suggested awareness of other resources that surround you.

Example. I don't know any of the people on the deadend street 1 block away. There is a swimming pool in the walled backyard at the end of the block. There is a firearms dealer. The medical doctor who lived at the same street number as I sold his house and moved. There is a drainage ditch running between the two blocks that is one block long, uncleared and good concealment.:wavey:

TactiCool
05-20-2012, 14:35
Alright guys, sorry for being so long-winded, but let me be perfectly clear: What I am asking here is how you have planned to sustain yourselves in the event that the majority of your supplies are seized or destroyed.

For example: What tactics do you have planned? What local resources have you identified that you might not otherwise utilize? In other words, how do you plan to adapt?

It may seem elementary that I would ask these questions here, but I am particularly interested in seeing the disparity of resources between the different environments present in our country.

bdcochran
05-20-2012, 19:24
You go to google and look up Hammond, LA.

You learn that there are a lot of warehouses there. Walmart has a distribution center. Hint - you go and buy stuff there after shtf.

Two interstates cross Hammond. It is also 10 miles north of the I 10. This means a lot of visitors after shtf.

Each place is different. We have one member who believes that his living in Maine makes him safe and gives him all the resources that a forest can provide. Conversely, we have a member in south Florida who simply stockpiles because he has decided to help his extended family.

quake
05-20-2012, 19:48
...how you have planned to sustain yourselves in the event that the majority of your supplies are seized or destroyed.
Done what I can to make that as unlikely as possible; largely by having supplies/stocks in multiple locations. Four locations in two counties specifically.

...In other words, how do you plan to adapt?
Largely by trying to maximize options by thinking "more than one", both in the spreading of supplies geographically and in substitutes for the primarily-used options. Doesn't have to be a budget-breaker necessarily - most of us here have more than one defense-capable firearm, and it might (or might not) be a good idea to have those spread out to more than one location. An old safe-queen 1911 is now my desk-gun at work. Several guns that would otherwise just sit in the safe at the house, instead live in the safe in my wife's office at our shop. A building we own has a secured storage room with a small/medium amount of supplies in it (bucketed food, first aid, tools, even a couple low-dollar long guns & ammo). Things like that help minimize the risk level of a single loss. A financial guy would call it 'diversification'. Being a security guy and former farmer, I just call it hedging my bets and prudence.

Additionally, in one location at our business (unknown to our employees) we also have a small level of bucketed food specifically for them. Nothing major or exotic, but something to have on hand, that would let us send each of them home with three or four buckets of rice, beans, lentils, etc, in some weird scenario. (The quantities vary based on their family size.) VERY slim likelihood of that being used for that case, but in the very unlikely event that some incident made it seem prudent for everyone to bug in at home for a short time, it's meant to be enough for at least a week food-wise for them. Again, very unlikely, but in that very-unlikely instance, it could go a long ways in protecting my people; which is frankly good for me in the long run as well.

Simply a "casting bread upon the water" kind of thing to me, ymmv and to each his own; it's undeniably out there past many folks' comfort zones prep-wise.

AK_Stick
05-21-2012, 00:58
Depends totally upon the circumstances.

WROL/EOTAWKI? Zombies/militants/looters raided my property, and I didn't have to worry about working?

Well I know where there are large stock piles of supplies, I have access to large quantities of fuel, and have easy access to large quantities of military tactical vehicles. As well as access to all sorts of military toys.

I also know/help site caches for the forestry/dep interior teams for fire fighting/operations in the coming spring for work, so I might have GPS co-ord to some.

Short of that, I really can't think of anything that would critically short my preps. I have my house prepped, and I have preps with atleast two other houses, and they have some here at my house, and with one another, so we have multiple redundant fall backs.

Biggest part of prepping, is planning. Have a plan, have a way to put it into action.

TangoFoxtrot
05-21-2012, 04:59

Therefore, it is necessary to take one's own environment into consideration and inventory locally available resources that one would need to survive.

So, how have YOU planned for OSP?

One asspect too is you have to be ready, able and willing to defend whats yours. Another words have the proper security to defend your supplies even if it means killing others to do so. If not they will kill you and take what they want. A horrible thought, but a reality in a WROL or major SHTF senario.

kirgi08
05-21-2012, 08:31
2=1 1= none.'08.

sebecman
05-21-2012, 09:30
I have a pallet of duct tape so I am covered for 99% of unknowns.

Bilbo Bagins
05-21-2012, 11:56
Alright guys, sorry for being so long-winded, but let me be perfectly clear: What I am asking here is how you have planned to sustain yourselves in the event that the majority of your supplies are seized or destroyed.

For example: What tactics do you have planned? What local resources have you identified that you might not otherwise utilize? In other words, how do you plan to adapt?

It may seem elementary that I would ask these questions here, but I am particularly interested in seeing the disparity of resources between the different environments present in our country.

You learn that there are a lot of warehouses there. Walmart has a distribution center. Hint - you go and buy stuff there after shtf.

Two interstates cross Hammond. It is also 10 miles north of the I 10. This means a lot of visitors after shtf.

Each place is different. We have one member who believes that his living in Maine makes him safe and gives him all the resources that a forest can provide. Conversely, we have a member in south Florida who simply stockpiles because he has decided to help his extended family.

Understand that looter, raiders, and pirates, are usually shot at and killed.

My plan is simple. My Home has all my stuff. If home is gone, go to family and friends. If they are no longer there, go to whatever stable place exist and start new using my portable wealth, skills and resources. If that is impossible you live off the land and do what you have to do.

That is the MFP :whistling:

racerford
05-21-2012, 13:03
If my home/supplies are destroyed, there won't likely be any nearby supplies to get.

If my home floods, everything withn a lot of miles will have flooded. Unlikely scenario.

If my house burns due to an wildfire, little if anything will be left nearby, as I have one of the most fire resistant structure for many miles.

The same for tornados.

Theft could be a problem, but only if I am away. If I am home and they get stolen, I am dead, so not an issue. If the SHTF I will mostly likely stay home once I get there. I am rural so I will not be the first place struck.

I do not perceive this to be a major issue for me.

Running out after an extended time would be an issue. If so those other sources will likely be gone by then.

I could go done this path, but I have other priorities like making sure the on-site supplies last longer. Mostly I am preparing for short term disruptions (OK first is for retirement and financial stability), not long term TEOTWAWKI type scenarios.

TactiCool
05-21-2012, 13:20

Now I should have explained this a little bit better and for that I do apologize, but I am not occupying just one static location. I have (5) locations that I am responsible for that would require fortification and supply, from Austin, TX all the way to the Mississippi border and the problem that I am currently working on is the logisitics of maintaining these sites, which range from urban to extremely rural areas.

I have determined that I will not be able to maintain an adequate store of supplies at 3 of these locations, which are all urban, and that they are not by any means defensible. I have, as a result, been examining methods by which I could augment existing supplies by procuring essentials from the respective local areas. In reality, I would have to completely write them off in a WROL situation, but I would still like to hold on to them as long as I possibly could, under prevailing circumstances.

kirgi08
05-21-2012, 14:15
Consolidate.'08.

leeward419
05-23-2012, 04:27
Oh Drat, I forgot the duct tape-whyere do you live?...LOL