Best competition models [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best competition models

EGH129
05-20-2012, 08:29
Forgive me for not knowing this, I owned a 17 for years and just picked up a 19, which I really like, but for competitive shooting I always though the length of the 34 would be most accurate. I've read on GT how accurate the 26 & 27 are. Really? I can't believe that. Then I saw on GT the 17L, new to me and upon doing some research its barrel is 1" longer that the 34 which I would think make it the most accurate. I know its the shooters skill but if you had a skilled marksman comparing the guns I mentioned which would be the most accurate and why.

Thanks

Bruce M
05-20-2012, 08:49
If we look at the people who are at the top tier of competitition it seems they gravitate to the longer pistols although my guess is that they can squeeze every bit of accuracy out of any of the models.

bac1023
05-20-2012, 08:58
If you're talking just Glocks, you're in the wrong forum.

TN.Frank
05-20-2012, 08:59
The longer sight radius helps but as far as actual accuracy it's been proven that a short barrel is just as accurate as a longer barrel. The extra weight up front will help with shot recovery too, I think for a Glock 9x19mm that'll be used in Competition the 34 would be a good way to go.

Shadyscott69
05-20-2012, 09:13
Depends on the shooter. I believe a somewhat shorter gun like a 17/22 is better for a most new competitors. When I started, the 34/35's slowed my transitions considerably.

As I improved, I had my limited gun built, on a 5" gun(STI). My next limited gun will be a 6" sight tracker gun, lightened to heck.

The main problem with the 26/27 size guns is the difficulty reloading except in steel challenge and GSSF.

The trend among top shooters is actually to longer guns with less reciprocating weight. ie lighter tops ends that are snappy get the sights down faster than slow, soft shooters.

byf43
05-20-2012, 18:23
The two best competition guns (IMNSHO) are:

Colt Gold Cup National Match - .45 acp (5" barrel)
S&W mdl 41 - .22lr (5-1/2" barrel)

:thumbsup:

Shadyscott69
05-20-2012, 18:52

Maybe 20 years ago at Camp Perry. :)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

byf43
05-20-2012, 18:59

Ouch!
That didn't hurt.:rofl:

Now, what did I do with my cane???:fred:

:rofl:

bac1023
05-20-2012, 19:01

Ouch!

Shadyscott69
05-20-2012, 20:18
Ouch!

:tongueout: :rofl:

WarEagle32
05-20-2012, 20:46
I an biased but the best competition list is a CZ Customs 85 Combat. As far as Glocks go we are all different. I've shot GSSF for years and I shoot my 19 just a bit better than I ever did my 17 or 34. I borrowed a friends 17L and it was a bit too long for me but I just wasn't use to that long length!

vafish
05-21-2012, 05:36
Depends upon what type of competition you want to shoot.

The g17l is not allowed in many competitions or divisions.

ithaca_deerslayer
05-21-2012, 18:38
Forgive me for not knowing this, I owned a 17 for years and just picked up a 19, which I really like, but for competitive shooting I always though the length of the 34 would be most accurate. I've read on GT how accurate the 26 & 27 are. Really? I can't believe that. Then I saw on GT the 17L, new to me and upon doing some research its barrel is 1" longer that the 34 which I would think make it the most accurate. I know its the shooters skill but if you had a skilled marksman comparing the guns I mentioned which would be the most accurate and why.

Thanks

If you had a really skilled shooter, they would all be equally accurate, with more variation between individual guns than between models.

If you are asking that skilled shooter to shoot a little faster, the longer sight radius will definitely help to keep the shots accurate.

The people who shoot a 26 more accurately than a 17, for example, are bad shooters to begin with. And the shorter grip fits their problem shooting and the way they hold better :)

This whole issue is further complicated by some machine rest reports by certain famous shooters stating they found slightly better accuracy out of some shorter Glocks. But the magnitude was something like a 1.7" group at 25 yards compared to a 1.9" group. Then the newbs take that as the reason to explain why they shoot a 15" group at 7 yards with a 26, but a 24" group with a 17 :rofl:

Spiffums
05-22-2012, 06:04
Depends upon what type of competition you want to shoot.

The g17l is not allowed in many competitions or divisions.

^^^^ Yup the 34/35 is right at the max to fit in "the box" for the big games.