Hogue Grip w/ Blackhawk CQC Serpa 2 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hogue Grip w/ Blackhawk CQC Serpa 2

jlseate
05-20-2012, 10:40
I recently purchased my gen 3 G23 and have no complaints ... except one. The teeth in the finger grooves just don't provide enough comfort for me for long periods of shooting. I usually go through 150-300 rounds every time I take her out. I purchased the Hogue grip and I'll tell you, it feels like my weapon is literally an extension of my arm ... PERFECT! I also purchased the Blackhawk CQC Serpa Level 2 Carbon Fiber paddle/belt loop holster. That thing is comfortable, easy to adjust, looks great, and the index finger release couldn't be any more natural of a movement when drawing.

I wanted to rave a little about these products. Anyone contemplating these purchases,,, think no more! BUY THEM!:wavey:

Jason D
05-20-2012, 16:14
According to Serpa haters.
You are more likely to shoot your eye out using a Serpa.

jlseate
05-20-2012, 16:43
According to Serpa haters.
You are more likely to shoot your eye out using a Serpa.

Now that I have one, I feel like I can contribute to this debate:supergrin: I'm not sure what people dislike exactly though...?

Jason D
05-21-2012, 17:36
Most go on about how the paddle version can be ripped off your body if you are caught unaware. Then there is also the Serpa lock filling with crud and not releasing the gun. Lest we mention those that can't control their trigger finger whilst trying to upholster their gun.

I have yet to run into a problem with a Serpa.
Though I do think about the supposed problems.

AK_Stick
05-22-2012, 00:53
I have yet to run into a problem with a Serpa.
Though I do think about the supposed problems.

Probably because you lack experience with it.

While I agree, only untrained shooters are going to be dangerous to themselves with, and you can only have a ND with it if you break a rule. The fact remains that the QC and materials used suck.

I got one when I went on a deployment, and it worked fine with little real useage, and mostly just a convenient way to carry the gun.

My company issued 56 when we deployed to Iraq, and we replaced every single one of them, some of them more than once.

The SERPA blows, its not something made up by people who hate them, there's a reason more and more instructors are banning them.

It may be alright for a civilian who's more than likely never really going to need it, and isn't likely to ever have to use it in any sort of adverse condition. And is also unlikely to train with it very much.

Its terrible for anyone who regularly uses it, or who might actually have a call to use the weapon its containing.

There are pretty much two kinds of SERPA users. Those who've seen them fail, and moved away, and those who have yet to.

I have NEVER met someone who's actually used the SERPA for any length of time and never seen a failure.

carloglock19
05-22-2012, 06:13
I have the soft grips (pink) on my G19 which my girl calls hers now, really comfortable. I have a a couple of Serpas and sometimes use them in the cold months. Granted I've never rolled in the sand with one on or done anything tactical that could possibly cause a malfafunction or me to be negligent with my trigger finger and shoot myself. I used them when I worked for security forces and we didn't have a problem. I got a CompTac paddle that I like a little better but for my intended civilian use the Serpa works just fine. Congrats OP!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

TN.Frank
05-22-2012, 07:37
This is my third try with the SERPA. First one was for the Beretta 92F Compact that I had, holster was way too lose, didn't care for it. Second one was for the ATI 1911, it was ok but nothing to write home about. This Third one is for the XD45 and it actually fits the gun pretty well.
Don't see how anyone could rip the paddle design of the SERPA off of your belt since I have trouble taking it off myself here at home. I'd almost say the hook on the paddle sticks out too far and it makes it hard to remove the holster quickly unlike the Fobus which removes pretty easily yet stays in place when needed.
People tend to hack on Fobus, I personally like them but the SERPA for the XD45 seems to be pretty decent IMHO.
I'm not an "Operator" and I don't use one for "Tactical" reasons, just an average guy who needs a holster for range duty and home defense use. IF the SERPA gives me problems it's easy enough to spend $22 bucks on a Fobus Paddle to replace it.

jlseate
05-22-2012, 09:39
My company issued 56 when we deployed to Iraq, and we replaced every single one of them, some of them more than once.

What was the replacement used?

What malfunctions were persistent?

I did a lot of research and spoke to many people that use them on a very regular basis. As long as the weapon fits the holster, I have not heard of any major complaints. The finger lock is in the perfect location for the Glock 23 model. When the weapon is drawn, my finger lands on the slide just above the trigger.

carloglock19
05-22-2012, 10:12
This is my third try with the SERPA. First one was for the Beretta 92F Compact that I had, holster was way too lose, didn't care for it. Second one was for the ATI 1911, it was ok but nothing to write home about. This Third one is for the XD45 and it actually fits the gun pretty well.
Don't see how anyone could rip the paddle design of the SERPA off of your belt since I have trouble taking it off myself here at home. I'd almost say the hook on the paddle sticks out too far and it makes it hard to remove the holster quickly unlike the Fobus which removes pretty easily yet stays in place when needed.
People tend to hack on Fobus, I personally like them but the SERPA for the XD45 seems to be pretty decent IMHO.
I'm not an "Operator" and I don't use one for "Tactical" reasons, just an average guy who needs a holster for range duty and home defense use. IF the SERPA gives me problems it's easy enough to spend $22 bucks on a Fobus Paddle to replace it.

Funny story I had my crazy friend try to rip a Serpa off me while wearing the paddle and the little hook actually ripped a hole in my pants and he wasn't able to get it off me (firearm was unloaded by the way).

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

TN.Frank
05-22-2012, 11:27
Funny story I had my crazy friend try to rip a Serpa off me while wearing the paddle and the little hook actually ripped a hole in my pants and he wasn't able to get it off me (firearm was unloaded by the way).

Yep, still working on my technique for taking it off, think I've finally got it figured out but it doesn't come off anywere near as easy as a Fobus Paddle.
Also, a lot of folks have said that if you bend your finder to press the button when you draw you'll end up on the trigger and have a possible AD, I personally can't see it. Even if I bend my finger to press the release button once I start the draw my finger straightens out and I end up above the trigger. Guess it's all a matter of training or something.

jlseate
05-22-2012, 12:18
IMO, Blackhawk makes many different tools for many different applications. They have contracts with the Federal government and other agencies around the world. I have a hard time believing Blackhawk would let another company out do them on something they are known for best. Whether it be ergonomics, safety, style, or practicality, Blackhawk is a trusted company and has many patents that are used every day by people whose lives depend on it.
I will say from experience, you can't disregard a product/service from someone's speculation. I want to know WHY or HOW the product actually did malfunction. Not how you THINK it MIGHT scew up. I have not seen much or any of this in regards to Blackhawk or the SERPA mechanism... once again, IMO

TN.Frank
05-22-2012, 12:43
I want to know WHY or HOW the product actually did malfunction.

You know some folks, they could break a crowbar in a sandbox, LOL.

mongo356
05-22-2012, 12:57
Serpa's failing w/ garbage in the mechanism, sure it can happen. Many people live and use them in different environments concrete jungle or desert sand?

If you wrestle someone to the ground and get a pebble in your Serpa and gun gets stuck, time for plan B. Just like guns anything mechanical can break.

I carried a level 3 Safariland 6280 that if you tried hard enough you could get the gun out with all the mechanisms activated, which is the better of two evils?

I have carried a Blackawk for about 4 years now without any problems. Guess I'm in the group (along with many others) that it hasn't failed yet?

AK_Stick
05-22-2012, 21:29
IMO, Blackhawk makes many different tools for many different applications. They have contracts with the Federal government and other agencies around the world. I have a hard time believing Blackhawk would let another company out do them on something they are known for best. Whether it be ergonomics, safety, style, or practicality, Blackhawk is a trusted company and has many patents that are used every day by people whose lives depend on it.
I will say from experience, you can't disregard a product/service from someone's speculation. I want to know WHY or HOW the product actually did malfunction. Not how you THINK it MIGHT scew up. I have not seen much or any of this in regards to Blackhawk or the SERPA mechanism... once again, IMO

They're not really a "trusted" company, or known for anything aside from having spotty QC anymore.

Once work went overseas to Vietnam, the quality dropped, and people moved on. Really don't see much in the way of BHI gear used anymore.

But something tells me you didn't really do any research on this. A simple google of "Serpa Holster Failures" returns a whole hell of a lot of results on.......broken BHI crap.

Go to M-4carbine, Lightfighter, Socnet. Any of the forums filled with .mil guys, and do a search on SERPA holsters.

I can also point to a half dozen top quality instructors and/or schools that expressly ban the SERPA, several of them stemming from incidents with the holster, and not shooter related (ND's)