Glock part replacement timeline [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock part replacement timeline

SFla27
05-20-2012, 16:46
Gents,

Would there be a safe guideline to use when determining the time to order replacement parts due to either passage of time and/or usage?

I understand there are numerous factors to consider. Could we use an average? Could this timeline differ when comparing different models?

For example:
-Replace RSA every two years, based on ____ rounds per month.
-Replace firing pin spring every three years, based on ____ rounds per month.
-Replace trigger spring every .......
-Replace extractor every ......
-Replace magazine springs every .....

And along those lines, are there parts that generally never need replacing assuming ordinary wear & tear? Slide? Trigger mechanism? Receiver / Lower assembly?

As I have mentioned before, if this has been addressed in previous posts, I apologize in advance.

Thanks guys.

Matthew
SFla27

GlocK_W0rK
05-20-2012, 16:58
owners manual

DocWills
05-20-2012, 17:09
Every gun is different. Round counting is more effective than time.

SFla27
05-20-2012, 17:16
owners manual

The owners' manual says nothing about when to replace parts due to usage and/or passage of time.

My owners' manual is (Rev.03/11). This is printed on the last page / cover at the bottom right. The manual came with my Gen4 27.

The manual I have states the following (page 1, bottom):

"This manual is applicable for GLOCK pistol models. All instructions, warnings and precautions are equally applicable to each of the models and such instructions, warnings and precautions are made with specific regard to the noted non-interchangeable components as listed on pages 17 and 18 for the GLOCK pistol models."

If your owners' manual has more specific information, how about this...

You tell me the revision# and I'll go searching online for the manual.

Fair enough? :)

Tiro Fijo
05-20-2012, 19:13
Replace RSA every 100,000 rds. & replace the gun at five million rds. :wavey:

:supergrin:

DocWills
05-20-2012, 19:17
5000 for the rsa. Everything else is based on wear points.
When it starts to misfire on proven ammo is a good sign, also it is in the manual just not the way you phrased it.

Each possible malfunction keys on certain components.

For example, a mag not feeding the last rounds is mag springs.

GRT45
05-20-2012, 19:30
DocWills got you started on the right track; kudos to him for helpful advice.

Glock Armorer Course Instructors teach a guideline of 3000 rounds (Gen3) and 5000 rounds (Gen4) fired between Recoil Spring Assembly replacements. However, the results of a Field Inspection test of the RSA can shorten or extend that period.

Assemble the unloaded pistol and run the Field Inspection tests below for the RSA and Magazine Spring:
Field Inspections (excerpts from Glock Armorer's Manual ęGlock 2009, Pages 63-64)

Recoil Spring/Guide Rod Assembly

The recoil spring should be strong enough to move the slide forward reliably to chamber cartridges even if the pistol is somewhat dirty, dry or the ammunition is not perfect. With an unloaded pistol, point it 45░ upwards and pull the trigger. While holding the trigger back, pull the slide to the rear and release it very slowly. The recoil spring should be able to push the slide completely forward and fully into battery. This test verifies that the recoil spring is strong enough to chamber ammunition despite less than ideal circumstances.

[GRT45 class notes from May, 2011 Armorer's Course: The G21 and G20 pistols, with their heavier slides, are known to sometimes fail this test even with a new RSA.]

Magazine Spring

The magazine spring must be strong enough to feed all ammunition reliably and be able to push the magazine follower up with sufficient strength to move the slide stop lever up to lock the slide to the rear when no ammunition remains. Insert an empty magazine and pull the slide completely rearwards forcefully. The slide should lock back every time without any assistance. This test ensures that the magazine spring is strong enough to lock the slide back when no ammunition remains in the magazine. It also checks for proper operation of the follower and slide stop lever.

doktarZues
01-06-2013, 13:48
^

GRT45,

I was googling information similar to this thread (glock wear items, when to replace, etc.), and stumbled on this, and found this post to be very helpful, so just wanted to say thanks (a stock gen3 G19 that has between 5k and 6k rounds passed the RSA test with flying colors).

With all of the "ban" sentiment swirling around, I suspect more people will be looking at replacement parts to make sure they can keep their rigs running in the event it becomes too expensive or impossible to replace them. I've read through quite a threads on the topic and picked up the following from glockmeister to make sure my G19s are able to run strong for years to come:

A complete slide and receiver replacement parts kit ($108 for the slide kit, $75 for the receiver), two emergency spring replacement kits ($24/each), and enough magazine springs to replace every one of my mags ($7/each). I believe the only part of the slide that doesn't come with the replacement kit is a barrel (which is a separate item not part of the slide, but thought it was worth pointing out).

The spring replacement kits come with:
1 Trigger Spring
1 Firing Pin Spring
1 Recoil Spring Assembly
1 Depressor Plunger Spring
1 Firing Pin Safety Spring
1 Slide Lock Spring
1 Magazine Catch Spring
2 Magazine Springs

The complete slide and receiver kits were probably overkill. If I wanted to do it a little cheaper, I'd probably forego the complete slide and receiver kits, keep the spring replacement kits and pick up a spare extractor and firing pin.

Can't add any input on the timeline for replacing these parts but like already pointed out, you should replace parts as needed, so it's a good idea to have an assortment of replacement parts.

Bill Lumberg
01-06-2013, 14:00
Replace RSA's every 5-10k. That's it. Gents,

Would there be a safe guideline to use when determining the time to order replacement parts due to either passage of time and/or usage?

I understand there are numerous factors to consider. Could we use an average? Could this timeline differ when comparing different models?

For example:
-Replace RSA every two years, based on ____ rounds per month.
-Replace firing pin spring every three years, based on ____ rounds per month.
-Replace trigger spring every .......
-Replace extractor every ......
-Replace magazine springs every .....

And along those lines, are there parts that generally never need replacing assuming ordinary wear & tear? Slide? Trigger mechanism? Receiver / Lower assembly?

As I have mentioned before, if this has been addressed in previous posts, I apologize in advance.

Thanks guys.

Matthew
SFla27

JakeFromStateFarm
01-07-2013, 05:25
Helpful info here. 

Bruce M
01-07-2013, 06:53
The owners' manual says nothing about when to replace parts due to usage and/or passage of time.

Perhaps the manual has some suggestion about a sporadic inspection of the gun by a Glock armorer?:whistling: