"Drunkenness" in the Bible [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : "Drunkenness" in the Bible

Nemesis.
05-20-2012, 20:47
Today we have a legal definition of “drunk” as it relates to Blood Alcohol Content. For example, in California, a 185 pound person driving a commercial vehicle, having had two beers, is considered legally drunk. That sounds reasonable as nobody would want a tractor trailer rig behind them in 80 mph traffic where the driver has had a couple of drinks.

The modern definition of “drunk” is important because of the activities we do. Flying a plane, driving a car or operating heavy machinery are things we don’t like to associate with consuming alcohol.

But, in Bible times, what would someone do? Crash their donkey? Their definition of drunk was different.

Noah was the most righteous man on earth. He alone found grace. Yet, Noah drank alcoholic beverages for recreational purposes. He even got drunk on at least one occasion: he was passed out on the floor of his tent. The entire episode is presented in a negative light. So, is that the biblical definition of drunk? Or, was he drunk before he passed out?

People living in Bible times were allowed, even encouraged (Deuteronomy 14:26) to drink. They drank wine and they drank strong drink. Their drinks were every bit as alcoholic as ours are.

The fact is that even as few as one or two drinks will cause the drinker to feel the effects of the alcohol. The Lord recommended drinking alcohol which leads to the conclusion that the Lord endorsed the “relaxing” and “tranquilizing” effects of alcohol. Yet, He condemns “drunkenness.” What is that?

In Proverbs 23 Solomon says, “Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes? They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine. Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright. At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder. Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things. Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast. They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again.” (Prov 23:29-35)

He clearly describes someone with a drinking problem. That's a drunkard. The phrase “tarry long” means to “stay near” alcohol (drinking for long periods of time). It also mentions those that go to seek “mixed wine.” Wine was sometimes mixed with herbs which increased its potency. He talks about the drinker seeing strange things and getting sick, as one who is sea sick. “They have beaten me” and I didn’t feel it.”

Proverbs 23 pretty accurately describes someone who is definitely wasted and, in modern times, even if he weren’t operating a motor vehicle, would still be arrested for public intoxication.

Is that the definition of drunk? Noah was drunk, i.e. passed out. Lot got drunk, i.e. passed out. Is this the Bible’s definition of drunk? Or did it occur at some point prior to passing out.

The Bible allowed drinking. That’s obvious. Drinking even small quantities gives the drinker somewhat of a “euphoric” feeling. Therefore, the Bible allowed, even recommended, that “tranquilizing” or “euphoric” feeling. For example, Prov 31:6-7: “Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts. Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.”
Again, Deuteronomy 14:26: “And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household..”

So, someplace between the “euphoric” feeling and passing out, “drunk” occurs. But where? The Bible allowed drinking. We assume the Lord allowed, and even recommended, the euphoric feeling that comes from alcohol. But the Bible also condemns drunkenness. So at what point between “euphoria” and “passed out” did “drunk” occur in Bible times?

I’m looking for your opinion. When he couldn’t walk a straight line? When he couldn’t walk?

SIGlock
05-20-2012, 21:14
If you had to ask this question...you'd know the answer.

Colubrid
05-20-2012, 21:19
Moderation.

The scripture (NT) says that drunkards will NOT inherehit the kingdom of heaven.

Nemesis.
05-20-2012, 21:30
Moderation.

The scripture (NT) says that drunkards will NOT inherehit the kingdom of heaven.

Yes, but at what point was he drunk?

Kingarthurhk
05-20-2012, 22:02
Moderation.

Then why even take the risk?

juggy4711
05-20-2012, 22:20
Wine or beer, Ben Franklin had it right.

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy"

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Either way God loved us enough to provide us a way to get tanked. :cheers:

Nemesis.
05-20-2012, 22:33

Dude, you're such a wealth of misinformation, maybe you should just stay at the brainwashing camp of your cult. (7th Day Adventist, right?)

They (the Bible characters) took the risk. That's our subject, so why don't you just go someplace else?

To everyone else, (cult members excluded) what would have constituted being drunk in Bible times?

Colubrid
05-20-2012, 22:34

I think it means alcoholics.

Anyone know and real alcoholics?

Colubrid
05-20-2012, 22:40
I think Martin Luther and Calvin drank beer.

Colubrid
05-20-2012, 22:44
..and Jesus drank wine and I hear he brought (made) the best stuff at this wedding once.

But we don't want to put a stumbling block in front of the weaker brothers. So....

Colubrid
05-20-2012, 22:53
BTW I don't drink at all anymore. I think I got to old because after a half bottle of beer I don't feel to good anymore. Wine makes me feel worse.

But as far as the OP question of how drunk is to drunk?.. Or at what point is someone drunk .? ..good questing BTW!... but I don't know the answer. My guess it is at the point you feel conviction and realize you are drunk. Or you are so stupid you can't talk right or walk right and still don't know you are drunk. Practice makes perfect in how much is to much for each individual. You can drink and it might catch up and then its to late, you are going to hell. Lots of adventists and babtist in hell because of this very thing (j/k).

My guess is if you like drinking to get drunk stay away from it. or if drinking effects your personality you are also one of those people who should never touch alcohol.

Kingarthurhk
05-20-2012, 23:05
Dude, you're such a wealth of misinformation, maybe you should just stay at the brainwashing camp of your cult. (7th Day Adventist, right?)

They (the Bible characters) took the risk. That's our subject, so why don't you just go someplace else?

To everyone else, (cult members excluded) what would have constituted being drunk in Bible times?

Do you have anything genuine to say? Also, please tell me exactly what a "cult" is? Other, than I hate you and your religion, which is just what you said here.

Kingarthurhk
05-20-2012, 23:07
BTW I don't drink at all anymore. I think I got to old because after a half bottle of beer I don't feel to good anymore. Wine makes me feel worse.

But as far as the OP question of how drunk is to drunk?.. Or at what point is someone drunk .? ..good questing BTW!... but I don't know the answer. My guess it is at the point you feel conviction and realize you are drunk. Or you are so stupid you can't talk right or walk right and still don't know you are drunk. Practice makes perfect in how much is to much for each individual. You can drink and it might catch up and then its to late, you are going to hell. Lots of adventists and babtist in hell because of this very thing (j/k).

My guess is if you like drinking to get drunk stay away from it. or if drinking effects your personality you are also one of those people who should never touch alcohol.

Hell doesn't yet exist. Also, if we are told, from scripture, that drunkards will not inherit the kingdom of heaven, why even play around with something that could cost you your salvation? Drinking alcohol is clearly not a requirement to live.

Nemesis.
05-21-2012, 07:46
Do you have anything genuine to say? Also, please tell me exactly what a "cult" is? Other, than I hate you and your religion, which is just what you said here.

Stay off this thread. You have nothing to offer other than your temperance speeches.

Nobody is talking about drinking today. The question has to do with drunkenness in Bible times.

They drank alcoholic beverages. That's a demonstrable fact. They also eschewed drunkenness.

The question is, how did they define "drunk."

Again, stay off this thread. You only show up to try to proselytize. And nobody's buying that twisted philosophy of 7th Day Adventism.

Lone Wolf8634
05-21-2012, 07:50
Yeesh. And they say the Atheists are antagonistic.

Just so's I contribute to the thread:

Drink all you want as long as you don't affect others with your drunken stupidity.

93GT
05-21-2012, 09:25
My guess is that most people who consume alcohol are doing so for the buzz. It isn't like scotch, red wine, beer, etc... are just delicious. If people were drinking it because it tasted good, they would just have a strawberry milkshake or some chocolate milk instead.

I have an opinion of what drunkeness is, but I suspect it is jaded by the fact that I consume alcohol. If I drink a six pack of light beer this Saturday while I play call of duty and grill on my deck, I don't think most would consider me a drunkard. If it doesn't impact my career, family, or others that I rely on me at all and it stays in moderation, I believe it is acceptable.

Just an opinion, perhaps not a very helpful one.

void *
05-21-2012, 09:46
Drink all you want as long as you don't affect others with your drunken stupidity.

I have this sort of vague half-donkeyed theory that, since alcohol strips inhibitions away, people can show who they really are at the core when they're drunk.

I get jovial. I've seen people get mean. I suppose I might have this half-donkeyed theory *because* I don't get mean.

Roering
05-21-2012, 11:07
"A drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts"

-Don't know who came up wit it.

scccdoc
05-21-2012, 11:26
Stay off this thread. You have nothing to offer other than your temperance speeches.

Nobody is talking about drinking today. The question has to do with drunkenness in Bible times.

They drank alcoholic beverages. That's a demonstrable fact. They also eschewed drunkenness.

Again, stay off this thread. You only show up to try to proselytize. And nobody's buying that twisted philosophy of 7th Day Adventism.
I assume you believe in the Bible? DOC

Schabesbert
05-21-2012, 12:14
"A drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts"

-Don't know who came up wit it.

"In vino veritas"

I don't think I really understand the thread completely; no, the Bible does not define drunkenness in quantifiable terms. There's no mention of 0.08% blood alcohol or some such.

The Church warns against such things as putting yourself in "near occasion of sin."

In this sense, if you drink enough that you try to claim that you are somehow not responsible for your actions, then the DRINKING was sinful.

Nemesis.
05-21-2012, 13:31
I don't think I really understand the thread completely;

And apparantly, nobody else does either.

I'm not asking, commenting on, or suggesting anything about drinking today. That's totally irrelevant as are all the posts dealing with such.

I'm asking, in your opinion, how you think, in Bible times, they would determine if one were drunk. Period.

One idiotic post says, "why take the risk?"

It's not a question of risk. Nobody's suggesting anything about booze.

The fact is the Bible characters took the risk. They drank with God's approval (if you believe the Bible to be inspired) and His recommendation. Yet scripture clearly denounces drunkenness, or, the state of being drunk.

So, in your opinion, I wonder how they made such a determination.

This is all conjecture and anyone who comes onto the thread trying to impose his particular (cultic or otherwise) theology is missing the point.

Kingarthurhk
05-21-2012, 15:11

NO. I won't. You don't own this thread. You don't own this forum. You don't own this board. You do not own me. Who are you to take ownership of things that are not yours?

Please explain to me, what in scripture 1. supports your attitdude, 2. your position.

Your spirit in your post is as far from Christ as a person can be this side of a demon.