any idea why the big delivery time difference between wilson and nighthawk? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : any idea why the big delivery time difference between wilson and nighthawk?

Snaps
05-21-2012, 00:39
apparently nighthawk is taking 24months and up right now and wilson is at about 8 months?

Something seems off about that. I'm planning on a new gun and this just strikes me as an odd turn of events.

Rally Vincent
05-21-2012, 03:42
24 months? Geez.

mrsurfboard
05-21-2012, 05:37
Maybe Nighthawk has more orders pending? Or maybe less gunsmiths or manufacturing capacity. Could be many things.

I would never wait 2 years for a gun.

drc767
05-21-2012, 05:47
Wilson is currently quoting 12 months.....I have 2 orders in that have already exceeded that. It is getting quite ridiculous with these build times, but it is what it is.

Jim Watson
05-21-2012, 06:33
I presume Blackhawk is a smaller operation, set up by departees from Wilson.

I get the idea that business for Wilson, other small expensive manufacturers, and full time gunsmiths is very good, beyond what I would think of as normal purchasing. Somebody will refer to his "First Wilson" with the obvious intent of buying more $2500+ pistols. Reminds me of the soldier in Thin Red Line who kept buying Randall knives.

Rinspeed
05-21-2012, 07:44
Wilson makes a great deal of their parts in house. NHC doesn't make any parts as far as I know.

crazymoose
05-21-2012, 07:56
In part, it's a status thing. I'm not denying that a custom 1911 is worth the premium. Shoot a really good 1911 next to a production 1911, and anyone who knows the design will really be able to appreciate the difference. The thing is, there are a whole lot of gunsmiths out there who can build a gun every bit as well as Wilson, NH, or Brown, and can do it much more quickly and for less cost. But the gun won't have a big, prestigious name attached to it. Many people who are going to drop over two grand on a pistol want the prestige associated with the big names, as well as the kind of warranties and support offered by many of those manufacturers (although I wouldn't look to NH in that department!).

HexHead
05-21-2012, 07:56
NHC is now accepting other brand guns for modification.

Snaps
05-22-2012, 00:41
In part, it's a status thing. I'm not denying that a custom 1911 is worth the premium. Shoot a really good 1911 next to a production 1911, and anyone who knows the design will really be able to appreciate the difference. The thing is, there are a whole lot of gunsmiths out there who can build a gun every bit as well as Wilson, NH, or Brown, and can do it much more quickly and for less cost. But the gun won't have a big, prestigious name attached to it. Many people who are going to drop over two grand on a pistol want the prestige associated with the big names, as well as the kind of warranties and support offered by many of those manufacturers (although I wouldn't look to NH in that department!).
my issue is I want options that aren't on any factory guns. That's a HUGE pain in the ass that's gonna cost me thousands just to have. Like I HATE front slide cuts, yet everybody wants to put 'em on guns. :(

ca survivor
05-22-2012, 09:42
the smith at Wilson take as many brakes as they want.

glock2740
05-22-2012, 10:48
Less than a year ago, NH was taking 4 months to build and that was with hardchrome. 24 months is ridiculous. Who's buying all these NH's? I hardly ever hear of anyone getting a new one. Maybe it's all the repair work they are doing on the T3's that has everything new backed up. :dunno:

glock2740
05-22-2012, 10:49
apparently nighthawk is taking 24months and up right now and wilson is at about 8 months?

Something seems off about that. I'm planning on a new gun and this just strikes me as an odd turn of events.
Did you get this straight from Nighthawk?

glock2740
05-22-2012, 10:52
NHC is now accepting other brand guns for modification.
They have been for years.

glock2740
05-22-2012, 10:57
Maybe Nighthawk has more orders pending?
That's definately not the case.

HexHead
05-22-2012, 11:00
My guess is simply that NHC is probably a smaller operation.

glock2740
05-22-2012, 11:25
Well, I called Nighthawk and they said it was definately a 2 year wait on anything new. I asked why things had changed so drastically and he said they were just busy. Don't know where the new guns are going, but I sure don't see them on the forums. He did say that they were making a Commander version of the Falcon now, but just hadn't gotten around to putting it on their website yet. I bet that's pretty sweet. :cool:

bac1023
05-22-2012, 18:45
Wow, 24 months is ridiculous.

When I bought two in 2007 and 2008, the wait time was 60 to 90 days.

20South
05-22-2012, 19:17
Rumors on the interwebz is that they had lost several smiths due to poaching or whatever. If that's true and you couple that with the priority (assuming high) relationships with Costa and Marvel probably get doesnt bode well for the rest of their offerings.

Snaps
05-22-2012, 20:19
I know they lost a few people back to wilson, but regardless I won't wait 2yrs for anything in the world. Much less a gun.

Far as names, I'd rather have a Colt but I want the certain features together.

CAcop
05-23-2012, 07:01
I suspect it might have to do with the fact they are shipping guns to dealers rather than to an end user. Here in a liberal's paradise there is a gunstore with a NHC sitting on the shelf. The guy who runs the store likes to keep at least one in the counter. I suspect they are running the place like a production and custom gun factory. I would be willing to bet if they told my local dealer and others like him to pound sand the wait time would drop.

mr.scott
05-26-2012, 01:44
I suspect it might have to do with the fact they are shipping guns to dealers rather than to an end user. Here in a liberal's paradise there is a gunstore with a NHC sitting on the shelf. The guy who runs the store likes to keep at least one in the counter. I suspect they are running the place like a production and custom gun factory. I would be willing to bet if they told my local dealer and others like him to pound sand the wait time would drop.

What's wrong with buying it in store? My buddy's shop stocks nighthawk and Wilson.

TSAX
05-26-2012, 02:21
The longest Ive seen people wait is 6 months, the 2 year thing is surprising but if they hired me to help out I would only be able to only help them make one for me :supergrin:

Try to contact these guys, they usually have a huge inventory and range/shop. They are one of if not the largest shop that carries Nighthawks but this info is from a few years ago. Their online store says they are out of stock but they usually have many so Im guessing the wait time is right but I'd bet money that they are around the top of the list for NHC to send guns to. Maybe you can jump the line and ask them if they can put your name on an incoming NHC that you want. Again this is an option to try not a guarantee.

www.sgcusa.com/contact-us (http://www.sgcusa.com/contact-us)

www.scottsdalegunclub.comsgcusa.com/1911/nighthawk.html?SID=ef62dd612df354ff5374d2a1c2b7a9c8 (http://www.scottsdalegunclub.comsgcusa.com/1911/nighthawk.html?SID=ef62dd612df354ff5374d2a1c2b7a9c8)

:50cal:

TSAX
05-26-2012, 02:24
I am a huge fan of NHC but Id go Wilson if it was 1/3 less the time. They do make some great guns as well. If you check GunBroker there are over 100 NHC guns available.

:50cal:

Rinspeed
05-26-2012, 04:22
What's wrong with buying it in store?

Nothing if you don't mind paying an extra $200 in sales tax. :dunno:

Snaps
05-26-2012, 10:37
What's wrong with buying it in store? My buddy's shop stocks nighthawk and Wilson.

because if you're paying the premium they demand you want a customized gun.Not their production models. Least for me

glock2740
05-26-2012, 11:24

The point in buying a Nighthawk or Wilson is having built the way you want it.

CAcop
05-26-2012, 15:29

Nothing wrong with it except for NHC's business model.

Let's say you have 10 smiths capable of 10 pistols per month for a total of 100 pistols per month. Now let's say you are obligated by contract to provide 50 guns per month to stores. That only leaves you with 50 guns per month to sell to individuals.

awpk03s
05-28-2012, 18:52
My Nighthawk build took 6 months when I was quoted 3 months. That was in 2010. I think the lead time slide has been going on for some time - now both companies are probably just quoting lead times that they are expecting to meet, rather than ones that will just make customers mad when the wait is 2-4x what was quoted.

LTR
05-31-2012, 19:31
I don't consider these custom guns but high quality hand fitted production guns that they will make some modifications to order. A true custom gun, you spell out every thing from frame/slide to barrel maker, sights, grips, finish to ignition parts and much more.

Purchased my NHC GRP was from a local shop. No wait and suited me just fine the way it shipped.

My WC CQB was order back in 2007 and took two months. Ordered with no FCS, magwell and 30 LPI slide top serrations
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/GLG20/125pastyearpictures09-14-2007124.jpg

glock2740
05-31-2012, 19:46
I don't consider these custom guns but high quality hand fitted production guns that they will make some modifications to order. A true custom gun, you spell out every thing from frame/slide to barrel maker, sights, grips, finish to ignition parts and much more.

Purchased my NHC GRP was from a local shop. No wait and suited me just fine the way it shipped.

My WC CQB was order back in 2007 and took two months. Ordered with no FCS, magwell and 30 LPI slide top serrations
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/GLG20/125pastyearpictures09-14-2007124.jpg
That's why they're called "semi-customs". And they are FAR from "production" guns.

Rinspeed
05-31-2012, 19:50
I don't consider these custom guns but high quality hand fitted production guns that they will make some modifications to order.

Why would you consider them production guns, there's nothing production about them. I could never understand people who want to change industry standard terms. :upeyes:

LTR
05-31-2012, 20:23
Why would you consider them production guns, there's nothing production about them. I could never understand people who want to change industry standard terms. :upeyes:

Call it what you want. Yeah the industry is going to call them what they want to sale more product.:whistling:

glock2740
05-31-2012, 20:35
Call it what you want. Yeah the industry is going to call them what they want to sale more product.:whistling:
"The industry" isn't calling them anything but what they are. Semi-custom. Period. If you feel they are "production" guns, then quit buying them off the rack at your LGS.

Rinspeed
05-31-2012, 20:39
Call it what you want.

I guess I don't know what to say.

SauerChoi
05-31-2012, 20:41
Even if the price was not a factor, I still couldn't wait over a year for a gun. I'm too impatient for any custom guns. lol