Looking for Another Semi-Auto, Possibly a Non-Glock [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Another Semi-Auto, Possibly a Non-Glock

Restless28
05-22-2012, 10:59
I'm looking to add a semi auto handgun to accompany my 642 carry gun.

I have been looking at the G17 and 21 Gen 4, but my gut is telling me to take a look at the M&P 45, XDM 45 or maybe a used USP.

I'm leaning polymer too. I have no interest in a 1911.

What can you tell me about the non-Glocks such as the M&P, XDM, HK, etc as they stack up against the Gen 4 Glocks?

FTjoe
05-22-2012, 11:11
my friends shoot XDMs in 9 & 40. i've shot them and i shoot them well (they fit good in my hand), but i just don't like the looks. i know, glocks aren't that much better and will not win any beauty contests, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

they don't shoot them enough to give you a long term report, but i can tell you they store just fine in their safes and don't age.

TN.Frank
05-22-2012, 11:24
Have you priced mags for the USP? My buddy in Phoenix,AZ owns one and just for grins the other night while we were talking on the phone we looked em' up. $50 bucks or more, OUCH!.
XDm45 would be a nice gun to get now that I actually own an XD45 and know a little bit about how it shoots. Glock G21 is also a nice gun but if you shoot lead you'd probably have to get an KKM accessories barrel for it, that's another $165 you'd have to add to the cost of the gun. Don't care if some folks cay you can shoot lead out of a poly rifled barrel, Glock says not to, that's good enough for me.
M&P is also suppose to be pretty decent but between it and the XD I'd go XD all day long, especially if you're getting the XDm model. JMHO, YMMV.

scccdoc
05-22-2012, 11:24
Thinking about a 40 Shield, trying to find someone who has one ....... DOC

svtpwnz
05-22-2012, 11:34
I would go for a stainless USP if it is in your budget. They are great shooters, fit very well in my hand and are simply dead sexy!

Sharkey
05-22-2012, 11:52
The M&P 45c is no slouch and a nice sized accurate carry gun. I like mine.

JAS104
05-22-2012, 11:55

I have been looking at the G17 and 21 Gen 4, but my gut is telling me to take a look at the M&P 45, XDM 45 or maybe a used USP.

I'm leaning polymer too. I have no interest in a 1911.

What can you tell me about the non-Glocks such as the M&P, XDM, HK, etc as they stack up against the Gen 4 Glocks?

I might be one of the few people who don't like the M&P, But the XDm is a fantastic gun. Look into a Sig as well.
As for me, I wouldn't carry anything other than my Glock. It comes down to what you're most comfortable with and what you can use effectively.

FLglockdude
05-22-2012, 11:57
If I were in the market for a polymer .45 I would go with the M&P45, or if budget allows an HK45.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix

TN.Frank
05-22-2012, 12:50

It seems like you and I have been following the same path with regard to handguns. I picked up my 642 in January and I love it. It's my EDC and goes everywhere with me, with the DeSantis Clip Grips it IWB's without a holster and half the time I forget I even have it on it's so comfortable.
Right now with what little shooting I've done with the XD45 I can say that it's a very comfortable gun to shoot. Recoil isn't bad at all, nothing like a 40S&W and really not much more then most 9x19mm guns I've shot. Mags are on sale right now for $22 bucks a pop and even full price is only $28 so they're still not expensive for a 13 round mag. There's plenty of holsters to choose from, the XD has a lot of great features that the Glock doesn't have. I really think you should at lest take a look at one just to see if it'll fit your hand and how it'll feel to you. If you can rent one and put a few rounds through it too. I think the XDm has had a few upgrades done to it over the standard, older XD so if you can find an XDm45 that'd be even better. Nothing against Glock, I think the G21 is a heck of a gun, it's just the XD seems to be a bit better IMHO.

fnfalman
05-22-2012, 13:23
I don't think that my FNP9 is going to stack up against the Gen4 Glock 17. You see...my FNP9 actually works reliably.

purrrfect 10
05-22-2012, 13:38
If you don't have a 380 the Ruger LCP is a really AWESOME pistol, Fun to shoot, challenging marksman @25' I carry mine in my front pocket every day since I bought it and I love my Glock G20 more than anything. I bought the NRA special addition. Really just a fun little accurate close range pistol. Never in the world did I think I would love it as much as I do..........

Bill Keith
05-22-2012, 13:44
Get a G36 and be done with it. I've been carrying with mine for 7 years and won't use anything else. I've shot the snot out of it and it always goes bang. :wavey:

Sheepdog Scout
05-22-2012, 15:21
If you're leaning plastic, than I suggest a Beretta PX4 Storm. They come in three sizes and three calibers. But I'm a Beretta guy and I love mine.

Restless28
05-22-2012, 15:35
The Beretta looks interesting, but, dadgum, I spotted the 92A1 and M9 on the same page. That's another handgun that I have never owned, but always liked. I shoot them well, too.

Damn, now I'm thinking of a M9.

Bimmer1
05-22-2012, 15:40
Walther PPQ

ponchsox
05-22-2012, 15:43
Walther PPQ

^^^This

Rustin
05-22-2012, 15:52
M9A1 and never look back!

Wait, BHP and CZ-75 are great as well.

Bruce M
05-22-2012, 16:15
I like my USP enough such one of them that it is my daily carry for a decade (although for a year or two I have moved to carry a G26 weekends sometimes.) And I like the M&P a bit better than the G21.

Sheepdog Scout
05-22-2012, 16:58
The Beretta looks interesting, but, dadgum, I spotted the 92A1 and M9 on the same page. That's another handgun that I have never owned, but always liked. I shoot them well, too.

:rofl:
All solid choices my friend. The Storm is a under the radar type gun. But it's a solid choice. As long as DA/SA doesn't bother you. I'll tell you, the "batwings" for the safety/decocker can maybe be a bit obtrusive. But they can be changed out for lower profile levers that will convert the gun to a "G" model. Decocker only.

TN.Frank
05-22-2012, 17:04
There was a local guy(well, Knoxville) that had a Beretta Cougar 45acp up for sale for $400, can't beat that deal with a stick. PX4 Storm would be a good gun in 45acp as well.
Nothing against the 9x19mm and the 40S&W but I personally think if you stick with the 45acp you'll be miles a head, especially if you handload your own ammo for it.
Still think you need to give the XD45 and XDm45 a look.

Restless28
05-22-2012, 17:06
Looking at the prices for M&Ps for first responders and I can buy a 9 and a 40 for 399 and a 45 for 499. The 45 only holds 8, so I'm assuming the larger mags work?

Restless28
05-22-2012, 18:02
Going with the Walther PPQ 9MM.

I called my favorite Glock dealer early this morning, and was told I would be called back. It's 1900 CST and I have gotten no such call.

So, I'm out on the Glocks, and out on the dealer now.

Maybe that's a blessing in disguise.

Maybe Glock will catch up to the other manufacturers and actually try to improve without problems. The old gray mare ain't what she used to be.

hsprincipal
05-22-2012, 18:07
The G21gen4 is my favorite handgun, but I do really like my M&P .40. Don't think you could go wrong with either.

plouffedaddy
05-22-2012, 19:38

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG1126.jpg

bot#ch has the above gun (90-two) for $499 with trijicons and 3 mags now. It is supposed to be LE/MIL sales only but I didn't provide them with any proof of my military service so I'm guessing no one else would have to either. This is a great gun and it's my second favorite DA/SA gun I own (FNP9m is #1)

That said, the M&P45c is a great carry gun and it accepts the full size mags should you want to use it for HD as well. Mine's been 100% through about 1k rounds.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG0770.jpg

Edit** I saw you're going for the PPQ. Great gun as well but I didn't like the high bore axis. I ended up selling mine due to it.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/DSC00831.jpg

bac1023
05-22-2012, 20:22
The XDm is outstanding.

faawrenchbndr
05-22-2012, 20:24
XDm would be my suggestion.

Restless28
05-23-2012, 06:00
The more I read on the PPQ, the more I like. It looks like Walther has a hit on their hands. Even Hickok45 was giddy over the gun. His review was excellent, just as they always have been.

JAS104
05-23-2012, 06:11
The more I read on the PPQ, the more I like. It looks like Walther has a hit on their hands. Even Hickok45 was giddy over the gun. His review was excellent, just as they always have been.

Imho Hickok45 has always been great with his reviews. He's not a fanboy and doesn't do rumors or hype. My buddy was a Walther single stack, loves it. Only reason he doesn't use it for primary carry is that his dad wont give it back... likes it as much as he does lol:fred:

Bob Hafler
05-23-2012, 06:22
I wouldn't buy any pistol before I checked out the CZ line of pistols. They truely are fine pistols. I picked up a CZ75 B at the gunshop one day and it felt more like a missing body part then it did a gun. Went back the next day and bought it because I couldn't loose two nights sleep in a row thinking about it and not owning it. :supergrin:

JAS104
05-23-2012, 06:31
I wouldn't buy any pistol before I checked out the CZ line of pistols. They truely are fine pistols. I picked up a CZ75 B at the gunshop one day and it felt more like a missing body part then it did a gun. Went back the next day and bought it because I couldn't loose two nights sleep in a row thinking about it and not owning it. :supergrin:

When it comes to CZ, I like Dan Wesson a lot, but when it comes to the full size semi autos I feel like they're a little too.. beretta-y? lol. Not saying they're bad guns, they're really pretty great weapons. Just personally, the handle was a little long and the recoil a little choppy. But-- the 1911's they make are le boobies

Angel
05-23-2012, 18:56
Try the FNS. I took mine (9mm) to the range for the first time and shot 300 rounds walmart white box no problems at all. I shot better groups at 17 yds than with my carry gun a g19. I could not believe it. Felt recoil was less but the groups really surprised me. I switched back and forth and consistantly shot much tighter groups with the FNS. If it continues to perform this well by the 1,000 round mark I will have a new carry gun. Mine came with three mags and night sights.

SmithietheFox
05-23-2012, 21:29
Buy a Browning HP.

easyg
05-24-2012, 07:11
For a 9mm check out the Ruger SR9 and SR9c...

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/photobucket-26197-1335218688299.jpg

For a concealable .45 check out the S&W M&P45c...

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/2011-12-15_13-34-56_496.jpg

If concealment is not a concern then check out the SA XD Tactical .45...

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/HPIM6525.jpg

Random thoughts:

Between all of them the Ruger has the best trigger by far.
The M&P has the worse trigger.
The XD has a higher bore axis, but the long barrel counters that and minimizes muzzle flip.
I didn't care for the grip safety of the XD but most folks don't seem to be bothered by it.
I don't like the magazine disconnect safety on the Ruger, but luckily it is able to be easily and quickly removed.
The S&W M&P is the one I shoot the least accurately.
The Ruger is the one I shoot most accurately (probably because of the awesome trigger and because it is a 9mm).
The Ruger has the most comfortable grip.
The S&W has the worse grip (even with the exchangeable back-strap inserts).
The S&W has the best slide serrations.
The XD has the worse slide serrations.