Ruger LCP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCP

slainer
05-22-2012, 12:07
Who out there is currently using the Ruger LCP as their backup in pocket carry?
How is it going? What SD ammo are you using?
People I have talked with are using the Hornady Critical Defense.
I held the Beretta Nano and the Kahr CM9 but I think would be too bulky in the pocket??
Thanks for your input!
Slainer

4 glocks
05-22-2012, 13:53
Who out there is currently using the Ruger LCP as their backup in pocket carry?
How is it going? What SD ammo are you using?
People I have talked with are using the Hornady Critical Defense.
I held the Beretta Nano and the Kahr CM9 but I think would be too bulky in the pocket??
Thanks for your input!
Slainer

I have a LCP and CM9. The LCP is a great pocket gun you do not know it's there. The CM9 works but a little bigger it's one of the smallest 9mm out there. Both are great guns. If you are looking for the smallest go with the LCP. If you want a more powerful round go with the CM9. I use
Critical Defense in the LCP and Gold dots in 9mm.

M2 Carbine
05-22-2012, 14:01
I use a Crimson Trace laser equipped LCP for pocket carry this time of year.
When I can cover the pocket I carry the (laser equipped) Ruger LC9.

I'm not stuck on any special JHP round. What ever I have handy I use, like CorBon.

Since I'm on the fence about which .380 bullet is better, FMJ or JHP, I cover both bases.
I carry a good JHP in the chamber, then alternate with FMJ and JHP in the magazines.

ponchsox
05-22-2012, 14:27
My LCP loaded with CD usually becomes my primary "ah, the heck with it I'll just stick Elsie in my pocket."

slainer
05-22-2012, 14:28
Thanks for your input guys!
Any more feedback out there?
Slainer

bob_fuller
05-22-2012, 14:37
not to hijack the thread, but could someone also provide input as to how the lcp compares to the keltec p3at as well? since they're very similar in size and weight, but the keltec is about 75 bucks cheaper, it'd be nice to know.

ponchsox
05-22-2012, 14:40
not to hijack the thread, but could someone also provide input as to how the lcp compares to the keltec p3at as well? since they're very similar in size and weight, but the keltec is about 75 bucks cheaper, it'd be nice to know.

Ruger is of superior quality. Keltec is junk.

WHEC724
05-22-2012, 14:42
I've had an LCP in a wallet holster in my back pocket for about three years now.

I have a bunch of ball ammo that I keep around for a quarterly range-test with it, but for carry, this is the one gun that I'll pay for premium ammo to give it every edge I can (usually Pow'rBall, Gold Dot, Hornady, etc...).

It's a tough little platform that I will not do without.

xidica
05-22-2012, 14:43
Don't forget to take a look at the Kahr P380.

rilkil23
05-22-2012, 14:43
Kel-Tec ran well but preferred everything about the LCP. I felt the LCP justified the added expense based on reliability and resale value. Sold my LCP and did ok since opting to carry the larger LC9 for deep concealment in a smartcarry rig. Happy with both but really hated the sights on the LCP versus LC9.

16again
05-22-2012, 17:58
not to hijack the thread, but could someone also provide input as to how the lcp compares to the keltec p3at as well? since they're very similar in size and weight, but the keltec is about 75 bucks cheaper, it'd be nice to know.Keltec in my pocket for over a year. Shoot about 100 rounds per month through it. No problems, goes bang every time I pull the trigger. Very pleased with my purchase.

Cole125
05-22-2012, 18:28
Don't forget to take a look at the Kahr P380.

Yeah the P380 is a much nicer pocket gun than the LCP, but it costs twice as much.

jdavionic
05-22-2012, 18:33
I do. I carry it with Hornady CD. Extremely convenient to carry, which means I carry it often.

hsprincipal
05-23-2012, 08:39
I have bought three LCPs since they came out. Sold all three. Call it a love hate relationship. I pocket carry a Beretta Nano all the time and find it quiet comfortable. I found the LCP was just not for me, took me three tries to figure it out though.

ithaca_deerslayer
05-23-2012, 08:43
...Ruger LCP ... pocket carry...
Hornady Critical Defense.

That's what I do. Also IWB it sometimes, too :)

NDCent
05-23-2012, 08:54
I carry an LCP in front pocket with Speer GD or Winchester STHP. I like it for size and weight, not crazy about the small caliber. I carried a steel J frame or G27 in front pocket for many years, still do much of the time, the LCP is like carrying next to nothing in size and weight.

blee2112
05-27-2012, 07:38
I wasn't sure how I would like the LCP but I love it now. First time shooting my hands were sore as heck, but it was so much fun I fired over 150 rounds. Mine has the CT laser and my shots between 7-15 yards all went right where I wanted. I added the Hogue Hybrid grip and it's just damn near perfect. No problems firing/feeding Federal ball, Fiocchi HP, and CD.

DustyJacket
05-27-2012, 08:19
I carry an LCP or PPK in a pocket holster in my front pocket.

Both work very well, though the LCP is smaller and lighter. Easy to conceal and shoot.

Probably will sell them both and get a S&W .38 snubbie (or CA .44SPL snubbie) and a S&S 9mm Shield to replace them with.

motorcyclist
05-27-2012, 11:30
Biggest problem with my LCP is forgetting it's there and walking in some place you shouldn't CC. I've carried and fired it with Fiocchi extrema, Hornady CD, Speer gold dot and a few other HP brands. Along with many different FMJ brands it has yet to malfunction. It's surprisingly accurate if you take your time with the tiny sights, but it's a point and shoot piece. Say what you will about 380 but 90 grains at 900fps up close will change someones point of view.

captcurly
05-27-2012, 19:04
Carry my LCP in a pocket holster in front pocket. In the summer I carry it in a DeSantis Easy Rider pouch. The weapon is loaded with Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

sourdough44
05-28-2012, 01:18
If you can carry a wallet you can conceal an LCP. I vote for Speer or Hornady 90 grn ammo.