Bicycle trailer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle trailer

RWBlue
05-22-2012, 12:45
Not a really cool item, but a bicycle trailer is on my short list of items to get.

If you have one, your input is appreciated.

http://www.biketrailershop.com/comparison-chart.php

SFCSMITH(RET)
05-22-2012, 17:15
I have drug a Burley cargo trailer across Tennessee east-west, and circumnavigated Indiana with a BOB Yak. Countless miles in training for those rides.

Neither broke down, both carried about 55 pounds, did 30 -100 miles a day with them. They both felt about the same behind the bike. With the Burley, you do have to worry/pay attention to, track width. I never hung it on anything serious, but it could happen. On the flip side it is more stable than the YAK, and won't fall over when parked.

I would HIGHLY recommend a bike with a triple crank set. Double check to make sure the mounting system is compatable with the brakes (and possibly) swingarm, on the bike you choose. Many people now days "tour" on Mt bikes with slicks and drop bars, nothing wrong with that.. but some have disc brakes, and they may or may not clear the mounting/attachment system.

RWBlue
05-22-2012, 19:05
SFCSMITH(RET), were your miles, road mile of trail miles?

I have a road bike and a mountain bike. I was planning on using the mountain bike. Both are tripple crank.

I am seriously thinking BOB.
I would like to set it up to allow me to carry my full sized backpack.

SFCSMITH(RET)
05-22-2012, 22:14
Road miles. Thousands of them. We ride a road tandem mostly now days, but I am trying to get back on the Mt bike.. well... bikes period.

DrSticky
05-23-2012, 07:44
I believe a mountain bike is the only real option in this case. I have bent the forks on my road bike when it went into a crack putting me over the handlebars. A good Mountain Bike can take that kind of beating. I would also be concerned about loads on your components. I have bent sprockets and cracked bottom brackets on bikes before, so the added weight of the load should be a consideration too. If you have a soft tail, the rating of the shocks is also a consideration.

I have experience pulling 50lbs of wiggling, giggling and sleeping children in a kids trailer(the one with a kangaroo logo). While it was fun, it took a lot more than regular biking, and burned more than going up a mountain. The thing was like a parachute in the wind. I would make sure the one you get is low profile and streamlined.

I have also ridden with front and rear wheel paniers, and while this was far easier, there are limitations on size and what you can carry. Plus you have to balance it. The one thing I don't recommend is riding with a backpack. I have found that any more than a camelback and I have real back issues later on.

Reading back over my little brain dump seems like a bit off topic, but hopefully helpful.

M1A Shooter
05-23-2012, 13:57
hopefully not too off topic but ihave been looking into building a trailer out of electrical conduit. i have seen a few different styles but they all seem failry simple and can be built to suit.

SFCSMITH(RET)
05-23-2012, 14:28
I have experience pulling 50lbs of wiggling, giggling and sleeping children in a kids trailer(the one with a kangaroo logo). While it was fun, it took a lot more than regular biking, and burned more than going up a mountain. The thing was like a parachute in the wind. I would make sure the one you get is low profile and streamlined.

Slightly off topic.. but years ago the wife and I did a double metric century with another couple we know, on tandems, they were pulling a Burley trailer with a 2 year old in it.. and a radio/cassette player playing ONE tape the WHOLE way.. 7 solid hours of 2 y.o. and Elmo singing the same 6 songs over and over and over and over...

Thankfully, everything else about the ride was perfect..

Dexters
05-23-2012, 16:09
Not a really cool item, but a bicycle trailer is on my short list of items to get.

If you have one, your input is appreciated.

http://www.biketrailershop.com/comparison-chart.php

Many would agree a bike is a good BOV.

What you need to carry is the first thing to determine. It is like picking out a BOB size. First you need to determine what you will be carrying.

The carriers you linked to carry 55 - 70 lbs. A rear rack can handle at least 40lbs.

bdcochran
05-23-2012, 18:22
This is a recurring topic.

1. find a coffee shop near your main street. watch the homeless go bye on their bicycles and observe how they carry. They do not use backpacks.

2. I bought a game cart through Cabellas. It will handle 300 pounds. I took it to a blacksmith. I bought a collar at a bicycle shop. The blacksmith did his magic. Presto, I have a game cart that can be hooked up to any bicycle under the seat on the column.

3. Out of my usual abundance of caution, I bought a couple of extra tubes for the tires of the bicycle, bicycle tool, and repair kits.

RWBlue
05-23-2012, 19:25
Many would agree a bike is a good BOV.

What you need to carry is the first thing to determine. It is like picking out a BOB size. First you need to determine what you will be carrying.

The carriers you linked to carry 55 - 70 lbs. A rear rack can handle at least 40lbs.

I don't think a bicycle is a good BOV. It could be a vehicle of last resort.

I have a BOB. I have used it before. I like it. I will make minor modifications for this trip because I will know the duration, where I can pickup supplies, carrying a gun would not be legal on some of the trip, .... It is a full sized backpack that probably weighs to much especially after I add some camera gear and other tourist gear.

I have rear racks and bags. The weight load of the bags is not an issue. The weight load of me, fully loaded bags and a fully loaded trailer will be an issue. I assume the panniers will get loaded with things like rain gear or clothing that comes off as i ride and back on when I stop, camera, and other quick access stuff.

RWBlue
05-23-2012, 19:34
2. I bought a game cart through Cabellas. It will handle 300 pounds. I took it to a blacksmith. I bought a collar at a bicycle shop. The blacksmith did his magic. Presto, I have a game cart that can be hooked up to any bicycle under the seat on the column.

How much drag does it have in comparison to a standard bicycle trailer?

How much did it cost?

Have you ever loaded it close to 300# and tried to ride?

RWBlue
05-23-2012, 19:35
7 solid hours of 2 y.o. and Elmo singing the same 6 songs over and over and over and over...

The horror, the horror :shocked:

Lone Kimono
05-23-2012, 20:11
I like the ones you can push as well, just in case you had to get rid of the bike for some reason. You could still put the kids/supplies in them and push them where you have to go.

Amazon.com: Frugah New 2in1 Double Child Baby Bike Trailer Kids Bicycle Stroller Black with Hand Brake: Everything Else@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51bcr7HZ4GL.@@AMEPARAM@@51bcr7HZ4GL

If you have young children keeping them out of the sun, rain, or snow would have to be a huge plus.

RWBlue
05-23-2012, 20:56
I like the ones you can push as well, just in case you had to get rid of the bike for some reason. You could still put the kids/supplies in them and push them where you have to go.

Amazon.com: Frugah New 2in1 Double Child Baby Bike Trailer Kids Bicycle Stroller Black with Hand Brake: Everything Else (http://www.amazon.com/Frugah-Double-Trailer-Bicycle-Stroller/dp/B005BUCS2M/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I23AZY0BOLL7EA&colid=1IOD4TLQZB7HO)

If you have young children keeping them out of the sun, rain, or snow would have to be a huge plus.

Do you have one?

Lone Kimono
05-23-2012, 21:34
Do you have one?
My brother does, but he got his at Costco, so I'm not sure it's the same brand. I've used it with his kids and like it a lot.

RWBlue
05-23-2012, 21:56
My brother does, but he got his at Costco, so I'm not sure it's the same brand. I've used it with his kids and like it a lot.

Do me a favor and find out.

Were you pushing or bicycling?

I am debating single wheel or two. I am thinking single will be less drag and allow me to go through narrow spots.

Lone Kimono
05-23-2012, 22:08
Do me a favor and find out.

Were you pushing or bicycling?

I am debating single wheel or two. I am thinking single will be less drag and allow me to go through narrow spots.

I'll find out the brand for you tomorrow. It's been pushed and pulled on a bike. Two wheels would have more drag, but may be more stable on bumpy ground.

As a bug out note, with two kids in there I'm not sure how much room there would be for gear.

RWBlue
05-23-2012, 23:21
I'll find out the brand for you tomorrow. It's been pushed and pulled on a bike. Two wheels would have more drag, but may be more stable on bumpy ground.

Hmm, I was thinking with a single wheel BOB trailer, there would almost never be a way of upsetting it because of how it connects to the rear axial.

With two wheels I was thinking I could hit a big hole with one side and flip it and me.

DrSticky
05-24-2012, 09:13
Hmm, I was thinking with a single wheel BOB trailer, there would almost never be a way of upsetting it because of how it connects to the rear axial.

With two wheels I was thinking I could hit a big hole with one side and flip it and me.

So our two wheel trailer has a spring type joint so I can fall over and not flip the kids. I ... umm... tested it. As far as hitting something and it flipping itself, it would take something like a movie car flip to do it or if you let the wheels dangle over the side of a cliff. Also of note, it takes a bit of a wide berth to make turns. Much like towing a car trailer you don't want to jackknife.

(Begin assumptions based on no experience)
I am guessing the one wheel jobs would be more like a motorcycle at slow speed. Meaning water sloshing around and stuff would be a little more challenge to balance. The one wheel jobs are much better off road, because you only worry about one wheel path. If I can steer through it, the trailer should make it.
(End Assumptions)

DrSticky
05-24-2012, 09:20

We have pushed our trailer as a stroller, and it was usable, but not great. We often lifted the front wheel off the ground entirely to make life easier.

One of the reasons we don't use it as a stroller is that we have two BOB strollers. The single and the double. BOB makes excellent products, but they are pricey. We haven't owned their trailers, but we were talking about a cargo trailer and that is the brand we would buy. Unfortunately they don't make kids trailers or that would have already been purchased. I can't say enough about their strollers. They are tough, durable and well thought out. It is the only one that works well off the path, and you can run with them too. They have a conversion kit, if you want to make it a cargo carrier after your kids grow up.

bdcochran
05-24-2012, 09:38
RWBlue- I did the cart so long ago, I can't remember the pricing.

Go to google or ebay. Look under game cart.

The game cart concept is that you load a deer or other animal on the cart and move it on out. The unit that I have uses a net like material instead of straps. Of course if you have a frame with two wheels and enough cross pieces and some imagination, you can rig up anything youwould like.

I live in LA. I am not bugging out with 300 pounds. However, when the electricity is off, the traffic lights are off, the gasoline isn't there (because the pumps are electrical), I have a way of moving bulky and heavy objects.

As I posted years ago, the best was a guy on Pacific Coast Highway. Decent bicycle. Two high priced bicycle carts being hauled in tandem. Over the top, butI learned that the guy spends his life riding up and down the west coast.:wavey:

Lone Kimono
05-24-2012, 10:15

It's an Xterra that was purchased at Costco.

You could be right about the one wheel trailers. Have you seen any that could be worth buying?

The Deer cart at Cabelas is sometimes on sale. If you keep an eye out you might get a good deal on it!

RWBlue
05-24-2012, 11:05
You could be right about the one wheel trailers. Have you seen any that could be worth buying?

The Deer cart at Cabelas is sometimes on sale. If you keep an eye out you might get a good deal on it!

I talked to a guy with a BOB trailer on the trail a while back. He liked it for what it did, but he also complained about the extra weight/drag. It is 17#s empty.

The deer cart is out for me. I am looking for a 300+ mile trip. I don't need the extra weight and drag.

R_W
05-24-2012, 14:20
Have you looked at long tail bikes? They can be built to handle ridiculous loads and still be an almost normal bike when not loaded.

Where are you riding?

The big plus of the bob is it is single-track--it is possible to ride it down a cattle/goat/deer trail. It really needs a brake on it if you are going to try any downhill stuff.

I kind of like the Burley Travois for a bugout bag carrier on the road--perfect for keeping in the trunk as a backup. http://www.rei.com/product/807561/burley-travoy-urban-bike-trailer
It seems really over-priced for what it is, but the idea could be done with a normal folding cart fairly cheap.

RWBlue
05-24-2012, 16:45
Have you looked at long tail bikes? They can be built to handle ridiculous loads and still be an almost normal bike when not loaded.

Where are you riding?

The big plus of the bob is it is single-track--it is possible to ride it down a cattle/goat/deer trail. It really needs a brake on it if you are going to try any downhill stuff.

I kind of like the Burley Travois for a bugout bag carrier on the road--perfect for keeping in the trunk as a backup. http://www.rei.com/product/807561/burley-travoy-urban-bike-trailer
It seems really over-priced for what it is, but the idea could be done with a normal folding cart fairly cheap.

Based on what I know, I will not use a long tailed bike. The engineering and ergonomics are wrong. A mountain bike should be able to carry the same load AND a good mountain bike has better hubs, tires.......

The Burley Travois looks like something I would break in my first afternoon. It has way too much plastic which is sad because I like the concept and would use a dolly more than a bicycle trailer.

As far as where I am going.....I am going to hold off a little while until I work out my logistics. I think I can do the short trip, but I want to add on to make it a longer trip. But ...... Just assume I will be on paved, unpaved and at times fairly rough trails.