Saw Battleship [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Saw Battleship

Rabbi
05-22-2012, 17:58
If you suspend all logic....eh, it was an OK ride.

Being a huge Battleship fan (the actual ships) the footage (some of it is real) and CG of the Missouri was pretty cool. The imagry of a lone American battlewagon off to take on the Alien massive ship was a cool moment. Some of the other naval scenes were fun.

mixflip
05-22-2012, 18:15
I am glad I took the time to take my son to see the real battle ship last year.

USS Missouri in Pearl Harbor.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/CIMG9005.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/CIMG9014.jpg

Altaris
05-22-2012, 18:21
If you suspend all logic....

That is the part I can't get over from the previews. I can usually clear my mind to get into almost any movie, but there is one item here I just can't let go. If this is some massive Alien ship that has been underwater the whole time, why doesn't it just come up straight through the middle of the battleship, or fire at it from underwater and be done with it. I just can't get over that part.
Since I haven't seen the movie that is maybe explained, but I doubt it, and it just makes it look really cheesy from seeing the previews.

:soap:

Rabbi
05-22-2012, 18:24
That is the part I can't get over from the previews. I can usually clear my mind to get into almost any movie, but there is one item here I just can't let go. If this is some massive Alien ship that has been underwater the whole time, why doesn't it just come up straight through the middle of the battleship, or fire at it from underwater and be done with it. I just can't get over that part.
Since I haven't seen the movie that is maybe explained, but I doubt it, and it just makes it look really cheesy from seeing the previews.

:soap:

The previews dont convey much of any story...just visuals.

Ironbar
05-22-2012, 18:25
I cannot suspend my disbelief enough to make me want to pay to see this movie.

fnfalman
05-22-2012, 18:35
I was hoping for even more action.

RonS
05-22-2012, 19:07
When this one hits the $4.99 bin at IGA I may pick it up. Na, probably not.

OrangeJoe
05-22-2012, 19:17
Avengers was super extra, fantastic. Battleship is a fun, fun ride.

I don't get the critics; since when are summer blockbusters supposed to be Shakesperean in depth.

Go see the movie, see some real guns. You'll enjoy it.

Chuck TX
05-22-2012, 19:32
Interesting. Isn't it supposedly based on the game? It's been a few years, but I don't recall any aliens.

KS Trekker
05-22-2012, 19:39

+1 - from the previews it appears the aliens are fighting a modern-day US Navy. How do they explain that the last battleship was mothballed in 1992?

"In the 21st century, there are no battleships in the United States Navy." (http://www.navy.mil/navydata/ships/battleships/bbhistory.asp)

Rabbi
05-22-2012, 19:43
+1 - from the previews it appears the aliens are fighting a modern-day US Navy. How do they explain that the last battleship was mothballed in 1992?

"In the 21st century, there are no battleships in the United States Navy." (http://www.navy.mil/navydata/ships/battleships/bbhistory.asp)

That is part of the movie....and the spirit of it is great!...the execution....eh....

Rabbi
05-22-2012, 19:46
Interesting. Isn't it supposedly based on the game? It's been a few years, but I don't recall any aliens.

There are some "elements" of the game in the movie. In terms of tracking the aliens and by allegory through the alien anti ship weapon.

Again....this movie is somewhat fun but you have to turn off all thinking, all of it in order to have that fun.

srhoades
05-22-2012, 19:49
I dismissed the movie outright. Now that I know it involves aliens I want to see it even less.

LoadToadBoss
05-22-2012, 19:49
I saw it Saturday. It was entertaining for what is was.

Woofie
05-22-2012, 19:53
It's on my list of movies to see when it hits Redbox.

I've seen a preview for Prometheus that I think I'll go see when it hits theaters. The preview reminded me of Event Horizon.

Spiffums
05-22-2012, 21:00
If an alien ship can form a force field......... conventional weapons can't beat it.

All this WE WIN WE WIN!! stuff when fighting aliens is just too outlandish.

Phaze5ive
05-22-2012, 21:08
At its conclusion, does the alien commander yell out, "You sank my battleship!"

vram74
05-22-2012, 21:09
Independence Day: Air campaign

Battle L.A. = Independence Day: Ground war

Battleship = Independence Day: Battle at Sea

They're just fun, summer movies. Take them for what they are.

Annoyedgrunt
05-22-2012, 21:41
It won't be long until there comes a so-called summer blockbuster movie that is just one continuous explosion. No bothersome plot, or irritating dialogue, or even actors... Just an explosion that lasts for an hour and thirty minutes. (or two hours and thirty- movies sure seem long these days.)

And people will love it. I can already see the threads... "Wow, did you see Explodageddon? That movie kicked ass! MUCH better than Blastblaster 4: The Blastening!"

AngryPanda
05-22-2012, 22:41
http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2012/04/Hungry-Hungry-Hippos-Movie-Poster-1335368553.jpg

Altaris
05-22-2012, 22:46
It won't be long until there comes a so-called summer blockbuster movie that is just one continuous explosion. No bothersome plot, or irritating dialogue, or even actors... Just an explosion that lasts for an hour and thirty minutes. (or two hours and thirty- movies sure seem long these days.)

And people will love it. I can already see the threads... "Wow, did you see Explodageddon? That movie kicked ass! MUCH better than Blastblaster 4: The Blastening!"

I think I found the trailer to your movie....

Rocket explosion compilation - YouTube

aspartz
05-22-2012, 22:46
Avengers was super extra, fantastic. Battleship is a fun, fun ride.

I don't get the critics; since when are summer blockbusters supposed to be Shakesperean in depth.

Go see the movie, see some real guns. You'll enjoy it.
The 1st summer blockbuster -- Jaws -- had an actual story and even characters. It did not require you to shut off your brain to enjoy it.

ARS

joker42179
05-22-2012, 22:47
http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2012/04/Hungry-Hungry-Hippos-Movie-Poster-1335368553.jpg

:rofl::rofl:

NeverMore1701
05-22-2012, 23:07

My gales of laughter woke up both dogs, both cats, and my wife. None of them seem to find it as amusing as I do.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Snaps
05-22-2012, 23:14
saw SciFi made a version called American Warship or something along those lines. I'll wait for this one, previews don't look good at all

NeverMore1701
05-22-2012, 23:16
saw SciFi made a version called American Warship or something along those lines. I'll wait for this one, previews don't look good at all

Kinda like the battle of Los Angeles thing they did a couple of years back. All the up with teh ghey.

Snaps
05-22-2012, 23:28
yup, instead of Battle LA, I think it was Battle of LA

TSAX
05-23-2012, 02:11
At its conclusion, does the alien commander yell out, "You sank my battleship!"

:rofl:, that would be classic if they did

:50cal:

TSAX
05-23-2012, 02:13

ID4 was great, the only movie Ive seen where the audience gave standing ovations after each break/pause (Day1,2,3 etc).

Battle LA was pretty good

Battleship:dunno:hope to find out soon

rick458
05-23-2012, 03:49
Whatever happened to the Battleship Yamato live action they were supposed to be making?

badge315
05-23-2012, 06:29
It's the best Navy recruiting film since Top Gun. :supergrin:

ronin.45
05-23-2012, 06:51
I saw it Saturday. It was entertaining for what is was.

I enjoyed it too. You can't go in expecting a compelling story and Oscar worthy acting. Just go for the fun and explosions.

Jack_Pine
05-23-2012, 07:10
I will see it. I agree with summer movies don't have to be deep thinking, well acted with great story lines. Just two hours of escape................

Seems like a must for the big screen.

Restless28
05-23-2012, 07:26
I will see it. I agree with summer movies don't have to be deep thinking, well acted with great story lines. Just two hours of escape................

Seems like a must for the big screen.

Ditto. Some I these guys act like they want to watch a documentary for 2 hours on the big screen.

aspartz
05-23-2012, 08:10
Ditto. Some I these guys act like they want to watch a documentary for 2 hours on the big screen.
That's me.
Tora, Tora, Tora > Midway >>>>>> Pearl Harbor.

ARS

ashecht
05-23-2012, 08:35
cant speak towards the movie since I havent seen it. But with my son living in Wilmington NC, I have been on the battleship North Carolina many times, and each time I am in awe of the sheer size of it, and its armament. Those 16 inch guns are a sight to behold, let alone the magnitude of the rest of the ship!

fnfalman
05-23-2012, 08:40
Whatever happened to the Battleship Yamato live action they were supposed to be making?

It came out several years back. Youtube has it featured in 8-segments.

aplcr0331
05-23-2012, 08:41

Actually the best Navy recruiting movie was this:

http://cdn.fd.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/gi-jane.jpg

fnfalman
05-23-2012, 08:43
The 1st summer blockbuster -- Jaws -- had an actual story and even characters. It did not require you to shut off your brain to enjoy it.

ARS

Really? You actually believed that there was a great white shark out there that was big enough to eat a ship and specifically chose humans as food?

Wow.:faint:

TxGlock9
05-23-2012, 08:44
There are some "elements" of the game in the movie. In terms of tracking the aliens and by allegory through the alien anti ship weapon.

Again....this movie is somewhat fun but you have to turn off all thinking, all of it in order to have that fun.

Smoke some drugs before watching the movie. Got it.

:rofl:

aspartz
05-23-2012, 10:38
Really? You actually believed that there was a great white shark out there that was big enough to eat a ship and specifically chose humans as food?

You're thinking more of Jaw 2 and 3D. The actual shark in the first move is of a "reasonable" size and had gotten into shallow water were its normal prey was scarce. Sure, not 100% believable, but much closer to reality than most modern movies. Plus, with the limited special effects they were forced to put in a story and characters, with actual dialog other than people running, screaming or fighting for tens of minutes at one time.

ARS

Snaps
05-23-2012, 10:41

Don't you worry, Top Gun 2 was green lit.

tsmo1066
05-23-2012, 11:46

In the first "Jaws" movie, the great white was supposedly 25 feet long. Great whites 21 feet in length have been caught and larger ones have been sighted numerous times.

What made the first "Jaws" good (aside from some excellent acting) was the fact that the monster was fairly believable.

mixflip
05-23-2012, 16:38
I think Top Gun was the most influential Navy recruiting movie of all time. Tons of 18 year olds joined the Navy back in 1988 and 89 because of the cool factor back then. Even if it was far from reality to join the Navy and be a fighter pilot.

I remember watching Top Gun during down time on my first ship and every guy in the room was reciting the lines through the whole movie. lol.

I was such a dork at 18 lol.

Annoyedgrunt
05-23-2012, 18:25
I think Top Gun was the most influential Navy recruiting movie of all time. Tons of 18 year olds joined the Navy back in 1988 and 89 because of the cool factor back then. Even if it was far from reality to join the Navy and be a fighter pilot.

Man, I feel sorry for anyone that joined because of that movie.

Eager Young Motivator: "I want to join the Navy, and fly F-14's, and shoot down bad guys (that are really just painted-black F-5's :rofl:) and ride my bike really fast, and score with the hot but reserved blonde instructor!!!"

Recruiter: "Just sign here!" (suppresses a grin)

One year later...

Eager Young Motivator: "Man, there is sure a lot of brass on this ship to polish with Tabasco sauce. And will these toilets ever NOT back up? And how the hell did jet fuel get in the drinking water??" :crying:

TSAX
05-23-2012, 21:46

It was pretty good but would have been better if we saw her...................:whistling:

Snaps
05-23-2012, 23:04
It was pretty good but would have been better if we saw her...................:whistling:

without shaving her head?

Haldor
05-24-2012, 17:37

There was a real incident involving shark attacks along the Jersey Shores that inspired the story behind Jaws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Shore_shark_attacks_of_1916

Snaps
05-24-2012, 20:48
^^
wow, ya learn something every day

dino1
05-24-2012, 20:56
Instead of calling it a movie, call it what it really is, a two hour commercial for an old ass board game.

vart
05-24-2012, 21:41

I remember watching Top Gun during down time on my first ship and every guy in the room was reciting the lines through the whole movie. lol.

I was such a dork at 18 lol.

I joined the Navy in Sept of 1988, and had never seen Top Gun...

My two best friends at the time joined 6 months before me and both cited Top Gun as a major influence in joining...:rofl:

I finally watched the movie while in "A" school in Millington, TN in some rec room on base... It was good, and very motivational... I was an Aviation Structural Mechanic and eventually worked on the F-14s.:cool:

DScottHewitt
05-25-2012, 16:57

Being a huge Battleship fan (the actual ships) the footage (some of it is real) and CG of the Missouri was pretty cool. The imagry of a lone American battlewagon off to take on the Alien massive ship was a cool moment. Some of the other naval scenes were fun.

Now, you know you gonna make me pull the slides out....

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/DScottHewitt/IMG_0439.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/DScottHewitt/IMG_0442.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/DScottHewitt/IMG_0443.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/DScottHewitt/IMG_0434.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/DScottHewitt/IMG_0436.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/DScottHewitt/IMG_0429.jpg

or, tagged in case I don't finish the thread.....

DScottHewitt
05-25-2012, 17:03

It came out two years ago?!?!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Battleship_Yamato_%282010_film%29

SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO Extended Clip! - YouTube

Space Battleship Yamato - Live Action (Wave Motion Gun) - YouTube

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1477109/

JuneyBooney
05-25-2012, 23:01
The previews dont convey much of any story...just visuals.

Rabbi, is it worth spending the money on?

Rabbi
05-25-2012, 23:05

Probably not.

Fred Hansen
05-26-2012, 01:52
It was OK.

JuneyBooney
05-26-2012, 06:48
Probably not.

Thanks for the honesty. I know I saw lots of info on the net that the flick was not that good but I may still go cool off in the theater just for the heck of it. :cool:

Jason D
10-14-2012, 16:27
I finally got to see it yesterday.
I was giddy when the run out the Mighty Mo.
Hell, I even backed it up to watch that scene two more times.

Good movie. Good enough to rent for a 2 hour time killer. I wouldn't pay full price to own the movie, but would buy it used.

MtBaldy
10-14-2012, 16:41

I watched it OnDemand with a couple of friends. It had some cool visuals but I never could manage to suspend enough thought to just enjoy it. We were all grateful we didn't see it in theaters.

Hines57
10-14-2012, 16:50

What movie is that?

"It Hurts When I Pooooooooppppp!!!!!"

fnfalman
10-14-2012, 16:53
What movie is that?

"It Hurts When I Pooooooooppppp!!!!!"

I remembered wondering if she already had bolt-ons done in that movie or the puppies were reinforced by pumped up muscles.

Thumpernator
10-14-2012, 17:02
I rented it a week ago from Red Box for just over a buck. I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I thought one of the best scenes was the opening. Be right back with that burrito. :rofl:

The only part that really got me a peeved was when the Japanese dude was calling out the coordinates while 'playing' Battleship. Instead of leading the shot, he waited each time until the buoy reacted to movement to fire. I kept thinking, what are you waiting for,,,,,, fire the shell already. :faint:

I have a massive collection of DVD movies, but this one won't be in it. Like the others said, check your brain at the door and just try to enjoy.

EdTracker
10-14-2012, 17:09
As retarded as this comment is....

I thought the Mighty Mo should have been able to take a hit better than the movie portrayed. The soup can projectile grenades from the alien ship should have had a whole hell of a lot harder time punching through over 5" of deck armor on the Mo, than the welded sheetmetal of a modern destroyer.

The original crew on the Mo stole the show.

Beyond that it was a lot better than a chick flick though it only cost me a buck at redbox.

Bruce H
10-14-2012, 17:20
Anybody that takes logic to a movie theater will always be disappointed.

Ruggles
10-14-2012, 17:25
I really enjoyed it. I mean the modern USN vs aliens, with a WWII battlewagon thrown in (WWII vets and all no less), wounded vet, likable characters and a pretty decent storyline. Whats not to like. It had great visuals, great sound, some funny moments as well.

I took the family to the theater, overpriced popcorn and all and thought it was a good day out :)

Saw "Here Comes The Boom" today, great movie as well.

Annhl8rX
10-14-2012, 18:05
I dismissed the movie outright. Now that I know it involves aliens I want to see it even less.

My thoughts exactly.

adamg01
10-14-2012, 18:33

I highly doubt that Battleship is close to the same level of entertainment as ID. Good, original movies are very few and far between these days in Hollywood. I have went to the movies very few times in the last couple of years. You get decent movies here and there like Taken, and the Town but it is mostly hacked up remakes.

Jason D
10-14-2012, 19:25
As retarded as this comment is....

I thought the Mighty Mo should have been able to take a hit better than the movie portrayed. The soup can projectile grenades from the alien ship should have had a whole hell of a lot harder time punching through over 5" of deck armor on the Mo, than the welded sheetmetal of a modern destroyer.

The original crew on the Mo stole the show.

Beyond that it was a lot better than a chick flick though it only cost me a buck at redbox.

The decking that took the hit seemed to be wooden. I would assume the hull plating underneath would have been fine. Though a couple of her guns looked to take a lot of the brunt.

mrmedina
10-14-2012, 19:42
It came out two years ago?!?!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Battleship_Yamato_%282010_film%29

SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO Extended Clip! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fQoh6AIgNE)

Space Battleship Yamato - Live Action (Wave Motion Gun) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f3g3kj3Xp8)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1477109/

OH! I loved the cartoon version!!!!:wavey:

Ruggles
10-14-2012, 19:42
I highly doubt that Battleship is close to the same level of entertainment as ID. Good, original movies are very few and far between these days in Hollywood. I have went to the movies very few times in the last couple of years. You get decent movies here and there like Taken, and the Town but it is mostly hacked up remakes.

I like both movies, I would say ID was slightly better if only for it's stars. But Battleship was much in the same vein as ID as equally entertaining IMO.

And for the "not realistic" crowd ID was more unrealistic than Battleship IMO. As much as I love my Macs and OS X I don't think they can hack into a alien OS and control it :)

UtahIrishman
10-14-2012, 20:05
I see a lot of movies that I would never watch because my daughter and wife like them. This one falls into that category and I ended up enjoying it...though it was kinda cheesy.

raven11
10-14-2012, 20:08

And for the "not realistic" crowd ID was more unrealistic than Battleship IMO. As much as I love my Macs and OS X I don't think they can hack into a alien OS and control it :)

I don't know , Rihanna acting was pretty hard to believe.

mhambi
10-14-2012, 22:30
Thought this was about a new movie crossover.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2j2gtjp.jpg

Was disappointed. SAW Battleship would have been awesome.

rednoved
10-14-2012, 22:44
I liked it. :dunno:

wjv
10-15-2012, 10:53

Now on Netflix. .

Was pretty stupid but didn't cost me anything but 1.5 hours. .

GVFlyer
10-15-2012, 13:14

A willing suspension of disbelief is essential to enjoying most products of Hollywood nowadays.

Having said that, I enjoyed Battleship. I though it was pretty entertaining. I particularly liked the creative alien weapons technology.

DanaT
10-15-2012, 13:23
I watched on the plane.

Its one of the few movies I havent switched in within the half hour. With so many movies if they really suck, I switch to a different movie.

Since I was stuck there for 8 hours, I would say it was a decent waste of a quarter of the time.

hogfish
04-02-2013, 16:16
Hah! Late to the party. :supergrin:

Saw it last night. I know it was fantasy, but: Come on! I have to say that the action was so good that I watched more than half the movie. I just couldn't get over them playing the main character as a Naval Officer. :freak: They could have made him a Petty Officer 3rd or 2nd. That was my main beef with the movie, and it probably spoiled it for me.

I wonder if the director was a Marine. :whistling:

Ruggles
04-03-2013, 21:35
Hah! Late to the party. :supergrin:

Saw it last night. I know it was fantasy, but: Come on! I have to say that the action was so good that I watched more than half the movie. I just couldn't get over them playing the main character as a Naval Officer. :freak: They could have made him a Petty Officer 3rd or 2nd. That was my main beef with the movie, and it probably spoiled it for me.

I wonder if the director was a Marine. :whistling:

It was a WWII battle ship blasting a alien invasion of Earth, I can put up with story holes to see that well done with CGI :supergrin:

I went in to the theater with full expectations that a movie based on a boardgame was going to be pretty weak story wise. But a tub of popcorn and that made it enjoyable for me :)

caraker0341
04-03-2013, 21:44

^^^^^
Pull hard, retard.

Battleship was crap. This coming from a guy who enjoyed the hell out of ID4 and Battle: Los Angeles.

ChiefWPD
04-03-2013, 21:55
I tried really hard to like this movie. But it sure jumped the shark when they took a floating museum/battleship and had it up and operating, in short order, with a handful of old vets. Then, using live ammo stored aboard the vessel (sure...) managed to win the battle.

:faint:

larry_minn
04-03-2013, 23:23
I tried really hard to like this movie. But it sure jumped the shark when they took a floating museum/battleship and had it up and operating, in short order, with a handful of old vets. Then, using live ammo stored aboard the vessel (sure...) managed to win the battle.

Oh come on (I have not seen this show) They mothball them so that they can bring them back into service if needed. Heck I understand in less then 12 months and 5 million bucks it could go to sea on its own power. (for 80 miles or so)

raven11
04-03-2013, 23:55
Oh come on (I have not seen this show) They mothball them so that they can bring them back into service if needed. Heck I understand in less then 12 months and 5 million bucks it could go to sea on its own power. (for 80 miles or so)

I don't think you understand the USS Missouri was moved off of the reserve fleet list in 1995 and struck from the Naval Vessel Register She is now a Museum ship at Pearl with dummy powder and shells. So you can't just sail her out and fire the guns with what she has onboard.

Also when she was dry docked in 2009 to stop leaks in the hull it cost 18 million just to keep her afloat and maintained. I doubt 5 million will make her combat ready

Jason D
04-04-2013, 16:07
It's funny we are complaining about the Mighty Mo getting battle ready in no time. Considering the plot line was aliens coming to Earth for the express purpose of the probing of anuses....or whatever.

Cybercowboy
04-04-2013, 16:24
I saw this movie last month on a snowy morning where we had a party here the night before and a friend of ours stayed overnight in the guest bedroom because the heavy snow south of us made for a dangerous drive home. Plus he probably shouldn't have driven anyway (party...)

Was expecting exactly zero. It was actually better than I thought by far. Perhaps it was watching it in the morning while drinking Bailey's and coffee and eating a nice breakfast, with several inches of new snow on the ground, but we all enjoyed it.

CBennett
04-04-2013, 16:26

I can see it for FREE(on HBO on demand/comcast) so was it worth watching for free on a rainy afternoon with nothing else to do..sure...As you said though I dont think id have paid for it :). But not a horrid movie

vettely
04-04-2013, 16:50
It's funny we are complaining about the Mighty Mo getting battle ready in no time. Considering the plot like was aliens coming to Earth for the express purpose of the probing of anuses....or whatever.
Ha, great point.
I really enjoyed the movie. I found it fun, entertaining and actually a lot better than I was expecting.

LippCJ7
04-04-2013, 16:55
I guess I'm shallow, I love it and wife hated it so needless to say its recorded on my DVR until My Sisters Keeper boots it....

Good action and good CGI sure it has a swiss cheese plot who cares it was a good sci-fi movie and I love good sci-fi

Gunny Lingus
04-04-2013, 16:57
I suspect someone thought that since Transformers did so well, they would try it with another toy. But from one perspective, it had it "all".

Pretty girls. Boobs. Leg. American Hero - the army guy actually lost his legs in Iraq. Hot\tough Rhianna. Patriotism. Old veterans who rise to the occasion one more time, and talk tough.

Why aliens? Because Hollywood is very sensitive to their communist friends' feelings. Look at Red Dawn. Changed it from a Chinese invasion.......

It's easy to see why Liam Neeson had such a small part, he was probably there to give it some star credibility.

Not many things that come out of Hollyweird are true anyway.

BUT, I didn't pay to see it.

Ruggles
04-04-2013, 17:04
From what I read the movie studio only obtained the rights to Transformers by agreeing to make movies based on two other Hasbro properties. GI Joe and Battleship were those two.

NIB
04-04-2013, 17:28
I liked the movie. I mean come on really, what do you expect? It's a sci-fi movie, not a historical documentary.

mac66
04-04-2013, 17:43
Resurrecting the Missouri is kinda like resurrecting this thread:supergrin: Neither is going anywhere soon.

Jack_Pine
04-04-2013, 18:06

I liked it ok, can suspend disbelieve but that scene bothered me the most...especially the live ammo thing.

Still I like watching these tyrpes of flicks.

10mm Sonny
04-04-2013, 18:44
Using a computer virius to beat aliens = lame

Using a WWII battlewagon to defeat aliens = cool

10mm Sonny
04-04-2013, 18:47
Also, notice the shape of the alien weapons and how they landed on the Navy ships before exploding?

Ruggles
04-04-2013, 19:54

Using a WWII battlewagon to defeat aliens = cool

I liked ID4 but yeah you are right :)

Ruggles
04-04-2013, 19:58
Battleship - Super Bowl Spot (HD) - YouTube

Come on, this screams popcorn fun movie! How often do we get to see modern naval firepower in action on the big screen?

And the wounded Army vet whippin alien butt was awesome to behold. :)

Jason D
04-05-2013, 16:13
You really want to talk about an unwatchable movie.
You should really check out Killing Them Softly.

I have taken better dumps.

Adjuster
04-05-2013, 16:18
I liked the movie. I mean come on really, what do you expect? It's a sci-fi movie, not a historical documentary.

I believe this movie is based on actual events. Possibly actual events that have yet to occur.

/

cgwahl
04-05-2013, 16:25
It's funny we are complaining about the Mighty Mo getting battle ready in no time. Considering the plot line was aliens coming to Earth for the express purpose of the probing of anuses....or whatever.

Because that really happens! :crying:

The alien language sounded a lot like giggling. :dunno:

cgwahl
04-05-2013, 16:28

The computer virus part didn't bother me much. But I always kind of saw ID4 as a remake (or actiony take) to War of the Worlds.

raydobbs
04-05-2013, 16:47

Those movies would be different from any other Michael Bay movie ever made....how...exactly? :dunno:

But if they are going to do it - they might as well go full court. They need to get those models who wore the bodices with the motorcycle side mirrors attached running around crying 'Run Away! It All Blowed Up!' while their toy poodles fight to keep up.

Two hours and thirty minutes of explosions? Damn, your pyrotechnic budget would cost more than the national debt - and would probably be enough explosives to level most of the planet Earth. One LONG explosion, you say? I think...you might be out of luck there. I don't WANT to be anywhere NEAR an explosion that can last that long and still be 'blowing up'

hogfish
04-05-2013, 16:56
I liked ID4 but yeah you are right :)

Hi. What is ID4?

Thanks.

Ruggles
04-05-2013, 18:10
Hi. What is ID4?

Thanks.

The greatest alien kicking butt ever!

http://i46.tinypic.com/xle0qu.jpg

Will Smith and a bunch of other people star in it. :)

hogfish
04-05-2013, 18:17
The greatest alien kicking butt ever!

http://i46.tinypic.com/xle0qu.jpg

Will Smith and a bunch of other people star in it. :)

Oh, great movie! I never saw it identified as ID4.

Thanks.

F14Scott
04-05-2013, 19:21
Man, I feel sorry for anyone that joined because of that movie.

Eager Young Motivator: "I want to join the Navy, and fly F-14's, and shoot down bad guys (that are really just painted-black F-5's :rofl:) and ride my bike really fast, and score with the hot but reserved blonde instructor!!!"

Recruiter: "Just sign here!" (suppresses a grin)

One year later...

Eager Young Motivator: "Man, there is sure a lot of brass on this ship to polish with Tabasco sauce. And will these toilets ever NOT back up? And how the hell did jet fuel get in the drinking water??" :crying:

I did it. Worked like a charm. :cool:

F14Scott
04-05-2013, 19:24
Explodageddon

:rofl:

larry_minn
04-05-2013, 21:09
I don't think you understand the USS Missouri was moved off of the reserve fleet list in 1995 and struck from the Naval Vessel Register She is now a Museum ship at Pearl with dummy powder and shells. So you can't just sail her out and fire the guns with what she has onboard.

Also when she was dry docked in 2009 to stop leaks in the hull it cost 18 million just to keep her afloat and maintained. I doubt 5 million will make her combat ready

Maybe you didn't catch the "be able to travel 80 miles" I didn't say it would be ready to fight. (much less have the powder/shells to do it) I was NOT aware it had been removed from reserve fleet list.

SC Tiger
06-18-2013, 10:41
I saw "Battleship" this past weekend (HBO and Cinemax were running in the clear on Dish).

Entertaining movie. The premise was, of course, absurd, but it was entertaining.

What was cool was the fact that they had several veterans of the USS Missouri (or that class of battleship) in the movie (the old guys that were running the ship), and the double amputee hiker was an actual Army Colonel.

It's always cool to see one of those old battlewagons kick ###.

wjv
06-18-2013, 11:02
At least after saving the world the hero just got bumped up one rank to Lt Commander and got a silver star, opposed to the Star Trek movie where they just hand Kirk keys to the newest ship in the fleet.

rednoved
06-18-2013, 11:30
At least after saving the world the hero just got bumped up one rank to Lt Commander and got a silver star, opposed to the Star Trek move where they just hand Kirk keys to the newest ship in the fleet.

Because Star Trek was going to be so much closer to reality. :upeyes: