GOPís Worst Nightmare: Electoral Stalemate, Constitutional crisis [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GOPís Worst Nightmare: Electoral Stalemate, Constitutional crisis

snerd
05-23-2012, 10:11
Interesting times ahead.
In looking ahead toward the November election, Republican strategists should take proactive steps to avoid a damaging, dangerous conclusion to the presidential race and to prevent the very real chance that Mitt Romney will win the Electoral College even while losing the popular vote badly to Barack Obama.

The problem stems from the lopsided margins President Obama will surely pile up in a few uncontested states with big populations, including California, New York, Illinois and Massachusetts. Mr. Romney, meanwhile, will prevail by comparable margins in only relatively small states: Utah, Idaho, the Dakotas, Alabama and Alaska. The big states that offer Romney his most plausible path to Electoral College victory will be won by much smaller margins, leaving Obama with a clear popular vote advantage.

http://townhall.com/columnists/michaelmedved/2012/05/23/gops_worst_nightmare_electoral_stalemate_constitutional_crisis

Brucev
05-23-2012, 10:25
Winning is winning. If Romney wins in the EC, he wins. The popular vote will be as irrelevant as it was when Bush beat gore. If Romney looses in the EC, the popular vote will be equally irrelevant.

JBnTX
05-23-2012, 10:34
No chance of a constitutional crisis, because Obama's going down in flames in November.

Obama will suffer a humiliating defeat that will signal a hard turn to the right in American politics.

We've seen this all before with Jimmy Carter.

snerd
05-23-2012, 10:42
Winning is winning. If Romney wins in the EC, he wins. The popular vote will be as irrelevant as it was when Bush beat gore. If Romney looses in the EC, the popular vote will be equally irrelevant.
You underestimate the rage of the Left. Nothing will be "irrelevant" if their guy loses.

Woofie
05-23-2012, 11:31
No chance of a constitutional crisis, because Obama's going down in flames in November.

Obama will suffer a humiliating defeat that will signal a hard turn to the right in American politics.

You're a Paul supporter now?

series1811
05-23-2012, 16:24

I would say we've been in a constitutional crisis for the last three and a half years.

Mister_Beefy
05-23-2012, 17:23
while the people in Washington flail their arms, I buy ammo.

G29Reload
05-23-2012, 17:35
Even if there is an electoral tie, it gets thrown to the HR to vote on.

Guess how that turns out?

A win is a win.

Though really, I do want to see BHO get his a#$ handed to him.

A nice electoral thrashing with +300 for R would be fine. 320 even better.

Every time I think about it, my head explodes: Can you imagine?

FOR BHO TO WIN...a majority has to walk into the voting booth and say, I want more of THIS!

This s#$%%y economy
A housing crisis that never ends.
16% U6
Losing our allies and offending everyone in sight
17 trillion in debt, hey, why not save some more snail darters and make it 24 trillion?

That's what has to happen. Are we really that numb, or stupid, do we have that many tards in this country? REALLY?

BigCity
05-23-2012, 17:42
Haven't some states passed laws giving their electoral votes to the candidate that won the popluar vote?

Naelbis
05-23-2012, 19:18
Haven't some states passed laws giving their electoral votes to the candidate that won the popluar vote?
If I recall, most of those laws only take effect if a majority of states pass similar legislation. Stupidest idea ever, lets disenfrachise the voters of our state in the name of subverting the electoral college...:upeyes:

G17Jake
05-23-2012, 19:26
You underestimate the rage of the Left. Nothing will be "irrelevant" if their guy loses.

It could make for good entertainment. Let them rage.

G17Jake
05-23-2012, 19:35
Even if there is an electoral tie, it gets thrown to the HR to vote on.

Guess how that turns out?

A win is a win.

Though really, I do want to see BHO get his a#$ handed to him.

A nice electoral thrashing with +300 for R would be fine. 320 even better.

Every time I think about it, my head explodes: Can you imagine?

FOR BHO TO WIN...a majority has to walk into the voting booth and say, I want more of THIS!

This s#$%%y economy
A housing crisis that never ends.
16% U6
Losing our allies and offending everyone in sight
17 trillion in debt, hey, why not save some more snail darters and make it 24 trillion?

That's what has to happen. Are we really that numb, or stupid, do we have that many tards in this country? REALLY?

Ditto!

stevelyn
05-23-2012, 21:37

I wouldn't call it a "hard right" turn at all. At best it's futzing with the trim tabs causing the leftist to have to fight the wheel.

Unlike with Jimmy Carter, we don't have a Ronald Reagan to replace him with. More like Ronald McDonald.

snerd
05-23-2012, 21:42
....... Are we really that numb, or stupid, do we have that many tards in this country? REALLY?
:whistling:

RCP
05-23-2012, 22:17
I wouldn't call it a "hard right" turn at all. At best it's futzing with the trim tabs causing the leftist to have to fight the wheel.

Unlike with Jimmy Carter, we don't have a Ronald Reagan to replace him with. More like Ronald McDonald.

Well said!:rofl: