Hot +p 45acp [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hot +p 45acp

GONIF
05-23-2012, 11:57
I know this may be the wrong place but. Why is the Hodgdon long shot reloading data so conservitve ? I have started loading SD rounds for my 45acp and I get 965 fps out of 7.6 grains of Longshot with a Hornady 230 XTP and Remington brass with no signs of over preasure what so ever useing a box stock 5 inch Springfield 1911-A1 parkerized pistol. I have tryed 7.8 and and got 985fps still no signs of over preasure. I'm sticking with 7.6 because it will be easyer on my guns . :dunno:

Yondering
05-23-2012, 18:54
It's probably conservative to stay within pressure limits that some 45's are designed for.

IMO, both the 1911 (full size, steel frame) and G21 can handle much hotter loads. I've pushed cast 230's up to 1100 fps with no issues, but that does require that you really know what you're doing. It also requires using the right bullets that maximize case capacity. These loads are obviously way over published specs, and are basically in 45 Super territory, but were "safe" even in the G21's generously unsupported chamber.

I haven't used Longshot yet, but it's probably a decent powder for this. I've used Unique, Blue Dot, or Power Pistol for my +P+ 45 ACP loads.

If you intend to shoot a lot of heavy loads in your 1911, I'd strongly recommend a flat bottom firing pin stop, and maybe a muzzle brake (not a bushing brake!) if you move into 45 Super territory. I would not be concerned about the loads you listed though, that power level is +P but well within the limits of a quality steel 1911.

WeeWilly
05-23-2012, 19:13
I think one of the limitations to keep in mind for .45ACP is the brass. I know at Starline the .45 Super brass is made stronger in the web and more attenton is given to the metallurgy.

I load a range of .45ACP to .45 Super for my G21SF. I take the conservative route and use .45 Super brass for anything over .45ACP spec. My 230gr jacketed and Longshot load in .45 Super brass tops out at about 1100fps. I shoot that out of my stock G21SF with a 22lb RSA.

Yondering
05-23-2012, 20:21
That's probably a good approach, Willy. With the generous feed ramp in the G21 barrel (G30 also I'm guessing?) pressure signs sure are easy to spot. Fortunately they seem to show up gradually in this gun.

I've considered building a 45 Super longslide with a muzzle brake and solid top slide, just to see what it can do. There wouldn't be much practical purpose to it, but it would be fun to experiment with. I'd probably get rid of my 10mm long slide if I did that, and just run the 10mm barrel in the 45 slide.

WeeWilly
05-23-2012, 21:06
That's probably a good approach, Willy. With the generous feed ramp in the G21 barrel (G30 also I'm guessing?) pressure signs sure are easy to spot. Fortunately they seem to show up gradually in this gun.

I've considered building a 45 Super longslide with a muzzle brake and solid top slide, just to see what it can do. There wouldn't be much practical purpose to it, but it would be fun to experiment with. I'd probably get rid of my 10mm long slide if I did that, and just run the 10mm barrel in the 45 slide.

I have not seen a smile yet with the Super brass, but I am also keeping it below nuclear levels as well. Of course I do get the normal bulging from the loose chamber.

I have a 6" KKM barrel and plan to work up some hotter load using a little of the #9 I still have left as well as some Blue Dot and 2400.

Some fun.

Yondering
05-23-2012, 21:13
I have a 6" KKM barrel and plan to work up some hotter load using a little of the #9 I still have left as well as some Blue Dot and 2400.

Cool, I'd really like to know how that works out. If you don't post it here, could you PM me a link? I mostly just look at the 10mm forums on this site.

Are you using a comp on that 6" barrel?

WeeWilly
05-23-2012, 22:09
Cool, I'd really like to know how that works out. If you don't post it here, could you PM me a link? I mostly just look at the 10mm forums on this site.

Are you using a comp on that 6" barrel?

I will post the results when I get them recorded, maybe better if I do it on the 21 threads. I will shoot you a heads up when I get them done. The KKM barrel is straight, no ports or comp threads. It will be a little while as my new 29SF will likely divert my attention for the time being. :cool: