22 short [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 22 short

dmjonez
05-23-2012, 21:02
I inherited an old Springfield 53B, and I let my son shoot a few rounds through it in the back yard. I was surprised how quiet the .22 short was, fired from this rifle.

It made me consider a pistol which could handle the 22 short.

Two questions:

1. would the shorter-barreled pistol be louder than the bolt-action rifle?

2. Is there a reasonable semi-auto pistol which can handle a short without modifications?

I've seen a few SA revolvers which are tempting. I already have a few .22LR guns, but they're a bit louder, and bother the neighbors.

Any recommendations? I've decided I love shooting in the back yard...

05DodgeDakota
05-23-2012, 21:15
Ceebees are quieter and are lr size, but may not cycle in a semi

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

scorpio2011
05-24-2012, 00:50
i had a stevens 187n
it would only function with 22shorts
nice and quiet

walt cowan
05-28-2012, 08:47
would love to see mid priced semi-auto handgun/rifle for that round. a nice adult size bolt action with the right twist would be sweet too.

concretefuzzynuts
05-28-2012, 09:09
Try Super Colibri in a revolver. Almost silent.

JFrame
05-28-2012, 11:11
I shoot .22 shorts in my TC Contender with 14" barrel -- it's about like a cap gun going off.

Golddog
05-28-2012, 11:48
I've found CB's, Super Colibris, and Aguila .22 Sniper SubSonics to be MUCH quieter than .22 Shorts, but only the Sniper SubSonics will cycle in my CZ Kadet semi-auto pistol.

JFrame
05-28-2012, 12:01
I've found CB's, Super Colibris, and Aguila .22 Sniper SubSonics to be MUCH quieter than .22 Shorts, but only the Sniper SubSonics will cycle in my CZ Kadet semi-auto pistol.

Totally agree about the Colibris (haven't had a chance to try the SubSonics, but I imagine it's true for those also).

The problem with the Colibris -- at least for me -- is that accuracy seems to be somewhat erratic in the platforms I've used. I find that .22 CB shorts sort of split the difference, with a reduced sound signature not as low as the Colibris, but also more accurate (windage is dead on, but they drop like a rock).

concretefuzzynuts
05-28-2012, 12:08
Totally agree about the Colibris (haven't had a chance to try the SubSonics, but I imagine it's true for those also).

The problem with the Colibris -- at least for me -- is that accuracy seems to be somewhat erratic in the platforms I've used. I find that .22 CB shorts sort of split the difference, with a reduced sound signature not as low as the Colibris, but also more accurate (windage is dead on, but they drop like a rock).

My experience with the Colibri is completely different. I have a designated revolver for them (mostly because I'd wear the poor thing out if I ran .22 LR thru it), it's an old RG32 with a 4" barrel, got it for $50 last year. It is a tack driver with the Colibris. At 10 yds you can put a quarter over the grouping.

JFrame
05-28-2012, 12:35
My experience with the Colibri is completely different. I have a designated revolver for them (mostly because I'd wear the poor thing out if I ran .22 LR thru it), it's an old RG32 with a 4" barrel, got it for $50 last year. It is a tack driver with the Colibris. At 10 yds you can put a quarter over the grouping.

Dang -- a firearm that likes the Colibri rounds is one to be treasured! :cool: