New Gun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Gun

MississipVol
05-24-2012, 11:15
Only a month after getting my FIRST handgun, a G4 Glock 19, I went out yesterday and got a pocket carry gun - a Ruger LC9.

I know the LC9 is on the top side of "pocket carry" but didn't want anything smaller and can't carry in my profession anyway (when I usually have on my more shallow-pockted slacks).

I went with the LC9 over the Kahr CM9 because of the option of the external safety on the LC9. As a new gun owner, I like that extra security right now but can decide not to use it down the road.

I'll be trying out that long trigger pull at the range today so I will post that later.

TSAX
05-24-2012, 12:10
The trigger pull sucks, but you can get this, it makes the LC9 much better. Galloway

How-To: Galloway Precision LC9 Trigger-Hammer Kit - YouTube

:50cal:

ithaca_deerslayer
05-24-2012, 13:00
Only a month after getting my FIRST handgun, a G4 Glock 19
I went with the LC9 over the Kahr CM9 because of the option of the external safety on the LC9. As a new gun owner, I like that extra security right now but can decide not to use it down the road.

One of these is not like the other :)

For my carry guns, I would prefer either all thumb safeties or no thumb safeties.

Indeed, I go the no thumb safety route. For those guns, the holster is the safety.

For me, taking a gun in or out of a holster is a very big deal. Goes something like this:
1. Assume all guns are loaded.
2. Don't point a gun at anyone (other than obvious self-defense requirement).
3. Keep finger off trigger until ready to fire.
4. Know target and what the heck is behind and beyond it
5. (Ithaca_deerslayer own rule) Keep the fricking gun holstered, and don't pull it out to fark with it, nor show it off to buddies.

Something like that :)

MississipVol
05-24-2012, 13:15
One of these is not like the other :)

For my carry guns, I would prefer either all thumb safeties or no thumb safeties.

Indeed, I go the no thumb safety route. For those guns, the holster is the safety.

For me, taking a gun in or out of a holster is a very big deal. Goes something like this:
1. Assume all guns are loaded.
2. Don't point a gun at anyone (other than obvious self-defense requirement).
3. Keep finger off trigger until ready to fire.
4. Know target and what the heck is behind and beyond it
5. (Ithaca_deerslayer own rule) Keep the fricking gun holstered, and don't pull it out to fark with it, nor show it off to buddies.

I plan to use the Glock 19 as a home defense gun or car gun since its a little too big for everyday carry for me at least. Plus the thumb safety is so easy to use on the LC9 (pretty much natural sweeping motion) that I dont think it will throw me off on the other.

I defintely understand the above logic. Maybe down the road (in a few years) I will wind up trading the LC9 for something without a safety. But right now I know I will feel a lot more comfortable keeping a gun right next to my manhood with that safety and loooong trigger pull!!

fnfalman
05-24-2012, 14:27

How am I going to show off to the boys the 15-LPI front strap or the custom wooden grips then? You think that I'd actually carry a gun for self-defense? Puh-leeze...

bac1023
05-24-2012, 17:59
Congrats on the LC9.

cluznar
05-25-2012, 03:08
Let us know how the LC9 does at the range. Is the long trigger pull a bother to you?