S&w .460 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S&w .460

DrSticky
05-24-2012, 15:40
There is a lot of talk about rifles and pistols in the woods. I was going to ask in another thread, but it seems to be its own topic. Since I am new to revolvers and pistol caliber carbines, this has generated many questions. So these maybe be silly questions, but I will ask anyway.

Based on what quake and others have said, I have been looking at the S&W 460V. But I can't find a complimenting lever gun(or pistol caliber carbine). I would like one that shoots the same array of calibers(.460S&W, .454, .45LC).

1. Is there are .460S&W rifle, that shoots .454 and .45LC. Preferably that you recommend.
2. Can you do something like the "moonclip conversion" to a pistol caliber rifle? I am asking to see if it will shoot .45ACP
3. Can a S&W 460(pistol or rifle) shoot .410 shotgun? Since the judge can do it, it leads one to believe...

quake
05-24-2012, 17:51
...Is there are .460S&W rifle, that shoots .454 and .45LC. Preferably that you recommend....

Not that I know of, however...

I've read multiple reports & reviews of the H&R .45LC single-shot being re-chambered to .454 Casull, and afaik, the top-end pressure on the .460 is the same as the .454; 65,000psi. I can't swear that's correct, but it would be worth checking out. If (IF) it's true, then it seems (SEEMS) logical that any gun that can handle .454 pressures would therefore handle .460 pressure. Not saying it's fact; saying I read it somewhere.

I've also read a couple reports of that same H&R being re-chambered to .460; but again, it's just internet reading. I"m no gunsmith, and I'd check with a gunsmith or ten to get better answers.

...Can you do something like the "moonclip conversion" to a pistol caliber rifle? I am asking to see if it will shoot .45ACP...
Not sure how that would work except for something like the "Judge" carbine series, as they're revolvers. Can't picture what you mean other than that...?

...Can a S&W 460(pistol or rifle) shoot .410 shotgun? Since the judge can do it, it leads one to believe...
I'd bet yes as long as there's not headspace issues, but can't say definitively. I CAN say definitively that the reverse is true to at least a degree - a .410 break-open can shoot .45LC as long as the choke is permitting. My son years ago had a .410 break-open, and we put a TON of .45LC rounds thru it. I stuck with lead-only bullets since the gun had (iirc) a full choke, but it worked fine. Basically a .45Colt musket; not great accuracy, but I'd absolutely have trusted it on a deer out to 50 yards or so.

{Fair warning - the following is personal, subjective opinion...}

On a broader view, I'm not convinced the extra mass of the handguns currently offered in .460 are worth the gain in performance. They tend to weigh a pound or more heavier than a .454 does, while holding only five rounds instead of six. Even the shortest 5" .460 weighs 61 oz, a full half-pound more than the longer 7.5" super redhaw .454 weighs. My gun with its shortened 5" barrel weighs 48.5 ounces, or 12 1/2 ounces less than the smallest .460 revolver that I'm aware of. Is it worth an extra 3/4 pound to get the power increase that the .460 offers over the .454? May genuinely be to some, but not to me personally.

Personal & subjective obviously, but afaik the .460 offers roughly a 10-15% maximum increase in velocity, so probably a 25-35% (guessing) increase in energy...? I'm guessing & relying on memory for those; may be wrong, not meant as any insult if I'm off. That's definitely a noteworthy increase, not minimizing it; but I just don't need that increase, not when the lighter, more-compact, and much-easier-to-carry .454 will take any animal on the continent at any distance I can shoot a handgun.

I can see a benefit to the .460 if a person has a source of decent-priced .460 ammo and not the same source for .454 ammo, or if they think they might find/scrounge some .460 ammo; but those seem extremely unlikely imo.

Also, the .454 (at least the ruger) lets me use commonly-available speedloaders; both hks and safariland. There may be some custom maker out there doing speedloaders for .460's, but they'd likely be a lot more expensive than the $7-$8 loaders I can get at most any gunshop.

In a rifle/carbine, there's several issues. In a levergun, it would take a long-action; longer than a typical 1892 style. So sources for conversion guns other than single shots would likely be scarce. I also frankly go back to the 'I personally don't need more power' than the .454, especially in a long gun. From my normal-sized 1892, the .454 is already slightly more powerful than a .30-06 (no, that's not a typo); more power than a .30-06 has. It doesn't have the range of the .30-06 due to the fatter, heavier bullet; but the .460 would have the same issue as well.

I don't mean to sound totally negative on the .460 caliber. Fact is, it extends the power-envelope out to where the .454 just can't. But that part of the power-envelope isn't somewhere I personally care about going with a handgun or carbine, and the other disadvantages (weight, capacity, no commonly-available loaders, etc) put it squarely into my "don't want" list.

To each his own & ymmv; after all my nay-saying about it, I fully acknowledge that there's nothing inherently 'wrong' with it.

Kingarthurhk
05-24-2012, 18:02
http://www.richiespng.com/browse.php?a2=.460+S%26W&cat=40&man=1091

Something to consider...

RWBlue
05-24-2012, 19:12
1. Is there are .460S&W rifle, that shoots .454 and .45LC. Preferably that you recommend.
2. Can you do something like the "moonclip conversion" to a pistol caliber rifle? I am asking to see if it will shoot .45ACP
3. Can a S&W 460(pistol or rifle) shoot .410 shotgun? Since the judge can do it, it leads one to believe...

1. Lever actions are too particular about the length of the cartridge to function with the 45LC and 460S&W. So there is one that was modified to shoot 454 and 460. I don't remember the custom shop.

You can get an encore custom barrel in 460.

2. I don't see why not, but it will have the same issues as the 454, 45acp conversion.

3. No. The shotgun cartridge is too long. And I would expect the 460 to rupture in a 410 barrel.

I like the 460S&W in 8 inch barrel. I wish someone would make a removable shoulder stock for a standard revolver. I would register it as a SBR and be happy.

quake
05-25-2012, 15:51
http://www.richiespng.com/browse.php?a2=.460+S%26W&cat=40&man=1091

Something to consider...

Neat; I didn't know there were any production .460 rifles available.

agent clark
05-26-2012, 12:51
I remember there was a company that was making a lever action for the S&W 500, but I cant remember if they made a 460 version. I want to say it was called an "Alaska" or something like that, Google. It would be a bad, bad, mofo for sure. Heavy, but bad.