Dang Springfield XD45......... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dang Springfield XD45.........

TN.Frank
05-24-2012, 16:13
shoots like a house a fire, I love it. Cut the center out of a paper target that I made up shooting off hand at 7 yards, only pulled one low, other 12 were in a nice little group center mass. Fed and functioned perfectly, not a hitch and that's with my Truncated Cone handloads. I really do think it's a keeper.
Now for the bad news, I could just keep my 642 on an 8"x12" sheet of paper at 7 yards. I love this little gun for carry, it's so light you don't even know you have it most of the time but I just wish I could hit better with it. Guess I just need to shoot it more OR just not expect the same degree of accuracy out of it as with my XD. Not sure what I'm going to do about it right now, probably nothing, just clean it up and carry it and be very aware of it's limitations.
Other then that Glock19Fan, my grandson Sam and I had a pretty good day at the range. G19F was cutting the center out of targets at 7 yards with his G19, probably about a 1.5" group with a flier now and again but mostly center mass.
We got a 22lr rifle he had sighted in, my grandson loved it, he's 17, probably have to get him one for his next birthday if I can afford it. Also, managed to police up all my brass which is always good. Anyway, I'll try to post a pic of that really good target that I shot later on today if I get the chance. Talk to ya'll later.

TSAX
05-24-2012, 17:03
Nice to hear another happy gun owner, glad everything worked out for you :wavey:

:50cal:

TxGlock9
05-24-2012, 17:17
Should've bought a Sig :whistling:

glock2740
05-24-2012, 17:35
Need more practice. The 642 at 7 yards should be grouping great on a 8x12 sheet of paper. I shoot cantelope sized balloons (moving), off my buddy's pond at 20-30 yards regularly with my LCP which has a WAY worse trigger and horrific sights. Try more dry fire practice with your 642. It's all about trigger control. :cool:

TN.Frank
05-24-2012, 17:35
Should've bought a Sig :whistling:

Trade you a S&W 642 for one of yours. :supergrin:

Happypuppy
05-24-2012, 17:39
I have a .45 XD tactical for my at home gun with a laser light. It is reliable and shoots very well. I cannot get "little guns" to work for me. I have arthritis in my hands so I use/need a substantial grip for my carry gun, a g19. That works very well for me with a talon grip

Sent from my 300 baud modem

TN.Frank
05-24-2012, 17:48
Out of all the groups I shot today this one was the best but the others were very close. I did drop a shot, got in a hurry, need to learn to relax and take my time.
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/5126/xd45bstgrp.jpg
I guess they're going to make the XDs in a 5+1 shot 45acp, if that's the case and if it'll pack as well as the 642 then the 642 may be on the way out and another XD may be on the way in.
Doesn't really matter how easy a gun is to carry, if you can't hit what you're aiming at it's useless.
I really do love this XD though, 13+1 shots AND it's 45acp too.

TxGlock9
05-24-2012, 19:04
I don't know whatnot is but I'm more accurate with a 45 than any other round.

40 0'Glock
05-24-2012, 19:38
I have a hard time with snubbies as well when it comes to accuracy. Other short barreled guns, even DAO pistols, I do ok. Just something about those snubs that I don't hit well with.

Nakanokalronin
05-24-2012, 22:02
I had a few lightweight snubs. They really take practice to get proficient with them. My current LCR in .38spl is the best I've owned yet and got quite accurate with it right from the get-go.

Glad your liking your XD! I've owned 7 of them in 9mm and 45acp, subcompact,service and tactical. I kept going back to them since they were the best of the poly guns but were easy to sell, or so I thought. Owning a S&W M&P for a short time has made me realize I found everything I could want in a poly pistol.

My only two gripes about the XD series was the high bore axis and slippery grip. The XD subcompact is nice but it's quite chunky and almost as heavy as the service model since it has a thicker barrel and slide to assure reliability. The XDs seems like a good gun but I've yet to see one in person to make a fair judgment on it's characteristics and dimensions compared to the other subcompact XDs.