Ruger LC9 1st Range Report [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LC9 1st Range Report

MississipVol
05-25-2012, 12:10
Went out with my LC9 for the first time today, shooting about 60 rds through it. Shot Independence ammo 115 gr.

The Good:

1. No problems at all. Gun ran fine. Not nearly the recoil I expected based on the comments of others.

2. Spent casings ejected cleanly. This was a nice respite from my Gen 4 Glock 19, which sends about 1/3 of the rounds back at my head or shoulders. Out of the 60 rounds, not one hit me.

The Not as Good:

1. I had one FTF on the 1st round chambered after inserting the mag. (Don't know if this techincally qualifies as a FTF since it was a matter of chambering the 1st round.) I chalked this up to a new mag/new gun. I ejected that round and the next one didn't feed as well so the mag may not have been fully seated to begin with.

2. The trigger and its long pull WILL definitely take some practice! I was using a 8" target at about 20 ft. I started off pretty well but, ironically, when I tried to focus on tighter groupings, the shots went left. The more I shot, the more it seemed the shots were drifting left about 6-8 inches and 2-4 inches off to the side of the 8" target. I had to leave before I could correct it.

I am still a new shooter, only getting my first ever handgun 6 weeks ago so I probably just need more practice with this trigger pull, but I was definitely not nearly as accurate as with the Glock 19. However, with it being a carry gun, I am pretty confident I could use it defensively from an average range of 5-10 feet very effectively. If you have any advice, let me know. At least it will help me with trigger discipline.

I didn't have a lot of time this morning, so I am looking forward to a lot more rounds to see if I can get comfortable with the trigger. Of course, if not, there is always the Galloway precision trigger upgrade I can try! :supergrin:

Chesafreak
05-25-2012, 12:31
Went out with my LC9 for the first time today, shooting about 60 rds through it. Shot Independence ammo 115 gr.

The Good:

1. No problems at all. Gun ran fine. Not nearly the recoil I expected based on the comments of others.

2. Spent casings ejected cleanly. This was a nice respite from my Gen 4 Glock 19, which sends about 1/3 of the rounds back at my head or shoulders. Out of the 60 rounds, not one hit me.

The Not as Good:

1. I had one FTF on the 1st round chambered after inserting the mag.

2. ThThe more I shot, the more it seemed the shots were drifting left about 6-8 inches and 2-4 inches off to the side of the 8" target. I had to leave before I could correct it.

Good 2: My LC9 ejects so far up and right that it frequently ruins the range trip for the person in the lane to my right.

Not as Good 1: I had similar issues with 115 gr, particularly with Hornady Critical Defense. I switched to 124 gr loads and no longer have this issue. Maybe the longer bullet makes a difference?

Not as Good 2: If you are used to shooting something with a thicker grip, you most likely just need to adjust your finger placement by putting more finger on the trigger. For a right hander, shooting left means you aren't using enough trigger finger. With my G23, I place the pad of my finger on the trigger to hit POA. With my LC9, I have to place the crease of the first joint on the trigger to hit POA. Practice dry firing it at a nail on the wall while adjusting trigger finger placement and you will see which way the front sight moves when the trigger breaks.

DannyR
05-25-2012, 12:34
Try some real ammo, like Lawman 115-gr.

MississipVol
05-25-2012, 12:41
Not as Good 2: If you are used to shooting something with a thicker grip, you most likely just need to adjust your finger placement by putting more finger on the trigger. For a right hander, shooting left means you aren't using enough trigger finger. With my G23, I place the pad of my finger on the trigger to hit POA. With my LC9, I have to place the crease of the first joint on the trigger to hit POA. Practice dry firing it at a nail on the wall while adjusting trigger finger placement and you will see which way the front sight moves when the trigger breaks.

I definitely was shooting with the trigger in the middle of the 1st pad (like when I shoot my Glock) so I will try the crease next time. Thanks for the tip.

Also, I assume it doesn't damage anything to dry fire a LC9? Just thought I'd ask since it has the hammer, not a striker-fired system. Thanks.

rilkil23
05-25-2012, 12:45
Carry my LC9 a lot and have learned to trust it, BUT the last 200 rounds I am having to "double clutch" the trigger to get it to reset. I don't mind the long pull but having to stage the trigger twice has me a little worried. I have had zero issues with FTF or FTE and this trigger problem is after 500 rounds. I will take it out again this Sunday and see if I need to send it back to Ruger for repair work.

Chesafreak
05-25-2012, 12:52
Also, I assume it doesn't damage anything to dry fire a LC9? Just thought I'd ask since it has the hammer, not a striker-fired system. Thanks.

I don't know the answer. I only dry fired my LC9 enough to get a steady front sight while working on trigger finger placement. After that, I no longer dry fire it.

I saw a youtube vid where someone used a section of weedeater gas line to put between the slide and hammer of an LCP/LC9. He is able to dry fire repeatedly without having to repeatedly cycle the slide because the hammer doesn't travel quite far enough forward.

Although this video is of an LCP, it will also work for an LC9.
Dry fire ELSIE - YouTube

TSAX
05-25-2012, 13:00
I probably mention this before somewhere Im not a fan of the trigger pull. The gun is nice. You can get/try this Galloway and see if you like it better. I think you will.

How-To: Galloway Precision LC9 Trigger-Hammer Kit - YouTube

:50cal:

KappaAlphaASU
05-25-2012, 13:40
I don't know the answer. I only dry fired my LC9 enough to get a steady front sight while working on trigger finger placement. After that, I no longer dry fire it.

I saw a youtube vid where someone used a section of weedeater gas line to put between the slide and hammer of an LCP/LC9. He is able to dry fire repeatedly without having to repeatedly cycle the slide because the hammer doesn't travel quite far enough forward.

Although this video is of an LCP, it will also work for an LC9.
Dry fire ELSIE - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDJJXtM_UiI)

Cool shorts...aka jorts:cool:

ponchsox
05-25-2012, 13:45
Hope you get accurate with yours. I couldn't so I recently got rid of my LC9 and got a Shield. The trigger is what the LC9 should have been.

TSAX
05-25-2012, 14:05
got a Shield. The trigger is what the LC9 should have been.

I would agree with that, the Shield trigger felt much better and if Ruger makes a Gen 2/upgraded version I think that would sell very well.

:50cal:

Chesafreak
05-25-2012, 14:11
Cool shorts...aka jorts:cool:

That looked like something my dad would wear. I was laughing at that as well! :rofl:

Chesafreak
05-25-2012, 14:16
Hope you get accurate with yours. I couldn't so I recently got rid of my LC9 and got a Shield. The trigger is what the LC9 should have been.

The LC9 is very accurate. The trigger makes it difficult to shoot accurately but once you master the trigger pull it is just as accurate as any Glock. In the picture below, all of the shots on the bullseye are my shots, the shots below it are from my friend. (He's just learning how to shoot).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1257794/2012-05-11%2013.21.23.jpg

Chesafreak
05-25-2012, 14:21
Another example of the accuracy capabilities of the LC9. The one ragged hole at the bottom of the white bullseye is slow fire. The shots around it are rapid fire. I think the single most reason why some can't shoot the LC9 or other small pistols well is they try to use the same trigger finger placement that they use with larger framed pistols.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1257794/2012-02-07%2012.43.57.jpg

WiskyT
05-25-2012, 14:22
Carry my LC9 a lot and have learned to trust it, BUT the last 200 rounds I am having to "double clutch" the trigger to get it to reset. I don't mind the long pull but having to stage the trigger twice has me a little worried. I have had zero issues with FTF or FTE and this trigger problem is after 500 rounds. I will take it out again this Sunday and see if I need to send it back to Ruger for repair work.

DO NOT stage a trigger. A double action trigger should be drawn straight through in one smooth motion. Staging, and "reset" is just a BS way of describing short stroking. I don't fault you and don't mean to come across as coming down on you, but the internet and gun ranges are filled with people who can't hit a damn thing shooting DA and are telling everyone to stage the trigger.

Let the trigger go all the way forward and when you press it, once it starts moving, keep it moving. Find someone who shot PPC and actually got good scores to show you what I'm talking about.

If you try to make a DA trigger into a halfassed single action, you will continue to shoot larger groups and have function problems.

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee460/Wiskyt/P3040343.jpg

MississipVol
05-25-2012, 14:38

I like the Shield, and even though it is only slightly larger than the LC9, it just felt a little too bulky to pocket carry. LC9 is borderline but I am fine with its size in most of my pants.

Mainly went went the LC9 because it is cheaper in my area and the Shield is impossible to find locally.

Also, the long trigger pull on the LC9 gives me a sense of relief with it being in my pocket. With the LC9 I wasn't looking for a "range gun" because I already have the Glock 19 for that.

Wishoot
05-25-2012, 15:58
DO NOT stage a trigger. A double action trigger should be drawn straight through in one smooth motion. Staging, and "reset" is just a BS way of describing short stroking. I don't fault you and don't mean to come across as coming down on you, but the internet and gun ranges are filled with people who can't hit a damn thing shooting DA and are telling everyone to stage the trigger.

Let the trigger go all the way forward and when you press it, once it starts moving, keep it moving. Find someone who shot PPC and actually got good scores to show you what I'm talking about.

If you try to make a DA trigger into a halfassed single action, you will continue to shoot larger groups and have function problems.

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee460/Wiskyt/P3040343.jpg

Mighty fine shooting there WT. Wish I could do that with a two-handed grip.

WiskyT
05-25-2012, 19:32
Mighty fine shooting there WT. Wish I could do that with a two-handed grip.

It's "okay" shooting. It helps illustrate what the gun can do. A truly good shooter can do that on demand. The truth is, for every group like that I shoot, I shoot 5 that are worse. One member of my club typically shoots groups half the size of mine, with any gun we are trying out, and he shoots great groups every time. His brother is on the USMC team and he trains with "Gunny" Zinns.

I shot that group with two hands, not one like my buddy does when he goes to Camp Perry.

Bullman
05-26-2012, 08:22
For a gun that small with mediocre sights, that is pretty good shooting at 25 yards.