A thought about springs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A thought about springs

Batesmotel
05-25-2012, 12:41
I read threads questioning when to replace springs. Magazine, recoil, trigger, hammer....Whatever. We seem to expect gun springs to fail after a few thousand compressions.

My Glock 17 went well over 110,000 rounds before I replaced the recoil spring but some guys propose replacing every spring as soon as 2000 rounds. And that magazine springs should be replaced after 10,000 rounds. (that is only 588 compressions on a 17 round mag)

Just as some food for thought I calculated that the valve springs on my truck had over 700,000,000 compressions before the timing chain failed.

Do we really need to replace springs at the rate some do?

faawrenchbndr
05-25-2012, 12:50
Not all springs are created equal!

TSAX
05-25-2012, 12:58
Not all springs are created equal!

:agree:, and not everyone uses/takes care of/maintains their springs equally. This doesnt have an exact number. My gun has the original springs (recoil/mag/etc) for about 18k, the mags probably 4k each or so with no replacement need. Some have had more and some have had less needing replacement and some just replace at certain intervals as a precaution.

Each gun is also different as I replaced recoils springs on my Kimber a few times before I even replaced any on any other gun. Heck I had a XD with a spring that was in a rental range gun and it had about 10k and I used it for about 2k before I traded it.

:50cal:

fnfalman
05-25-2012, 12:59
Yep. Not all springs are created equal. Not all guns designed with same springs life for either the recoil spring or the mag spring either.

Decguns
05-25-2012, 21:21
Unsupported recoil springs, like the standard M1911 or Browning Hi-Power, are supposed to be changed every 3000 rounds. They bend, open up and kink. Having several Glocks with more than 100,000 rounds through them, I never went more than 40,000 rounds before the OEM spring gave up the ghost (got very weak or even cracked). Trigger springs typically failed first. By the time a recoil spring shrinks two coils, compared to a new spring, they are pretty much toast. You're doing nothing but battering the slide against the frame.

The typical pistol barrel is heavily eroded in the middle by 40,000 rounds too. It may still shoot decent groups because the rifling at the muzzle is still in good shape, but if you cut the barrel down the middle, you'll see the middle section is essentially worn out. While I've taken barrels beyond the 100,000 round mark, I typically replace them much sooner.

Parts wear out. Recoil springs, entire spring kits, are cheap. Not sure why you wouldn't spend $20 every 10K, 30K, 50K rounds.

Markasaurus
05-27-2012, 01:05
I read threads questioning when to replace springs. Magazine, recoil, trigger, hammer....Whatever. We seem to expect gun springs to fail after a few thousand compressions.

My Glock 17 went well over 110,000 rounds before I replaced the recoil spring but some guys propose replacing every spring as soon as 2000 rounds. And that magazine springs should be replaced after 10,000 rounds. (that is only 588 compressions on a 17 round mag)

Just as some food for thought I calculated that the valve springs on my truck had over 700,000,000 compressions before the timing chain failed.

Do we really need to replace springs at the rate some do?

That wasn't a typo was it? 110,000 rounds really? And the barrel held up? Any other parts need to be changed?

I work in automotive, have for 35 years, and springs of course are in everything. Seldom do you see a worn out spring that won't hold tension or wears out, they just break. And when that happens it's always on something that saw about 10 million cycles, like a valve spring. It's safe to say on most guns the springs will outlive the owner. In cases of bad magazines, the usual cause of firearm malfunctions, i'd guess the spring was probably not manufactured properly to begin with. Or the designer chose too thin a gauge to make the spring out of.

Tiro Fijo
05-27-2012, 03:06
Unsupported recoil springs, like the standard M1911 or Browning Hi-Power, are supposed to be changed every 3000 rounds. They bend, open up and kink...

Myth. It is impossible for the RS to bend or kink when the gun is properly assembled as it is entirely contained although aftermarket guide rod makers spread this BS.

The reason most recoil springs don't last long is the same reason you can't buy a Willy Wonka Everlasting Gobstopper: the spring business would tank overnight. It's called planned obsolescence.