Does Sig have some of the WORST blueing? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Does Sig have some of the WORST blueing?

DaBurna
05-25-2012, 15:32
I've seen them used and new in the case and the finish suuuuuure does wear off quick! Not that it affects reliability, but if in gonna plunk down >$800 I'd be PISSED if it was worn off in a couple of months.... HK's seem to have that same issue, especially on the barrel hoods. They are completely a different color oftentimes...

diamondd2
05-25-2012, 15:40
Both are way overrated. Especially for the price.

Dan
05-25-2012, 15:58
I work p/t in a shop as the gun tech, I have sent a few Sigs back lately for warranty work for various reasons. The last one was a Sig 1911 c3, 3 months old and the stainless slide is pitting.

Customer sure wasn't happy with them.

fnfalman
05-26-2012, 01:41
Which new SIG has bluing? Aren't they all blackened stainless steel nowadays?

Restless28
05-26-2012, 06:42

Care to explain that position?

oldnoob
05-26-2012, 06:55
Their nitron finish wan't the nicest finish I have seem. But any finish short of poly coat the gun will not hold up for serious user or holstering wear.

Bruce M
05-26-2012, 08:20

Care to share your experience with both?

Boot Stomper
05-26-2012, 10:37
I have an older P229 I carry for work and it has a lot of holster wear. The blue or black (the slide is slainless steel) finish of the gun is very poor. Everything else about the gun has been excellent. The gun is about 20 years old and it has been flawless in the ten years I have carried and shot it.

I would post pictures, but the gun is at work. Sorry.

TxGlock9
05-26-2012, 10:38
care to share your experience with both?

+3...

diamondd2
05-26-2012, 10:45
Care to explain that position?

Neither can do anything better than my $500 Glock.

Restless28
05-26-2012, 10:49

Weak.

oldnoob
05-26-2012, 10:52

Get a Hi point. Save yourself $400 more.

:upeyes:

arclight610
05-26-2012, 10:55

Except run rings around it in accuracy among many other things. I own both brands, and I really like both. However, there are some things the Sig can do better.

diamondd2
05-26-2012, 11:19
Weak.

But true.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

diamondd2
05-26-2012, 11:20
Get a Hi point. Save yourself $400 more.

:upeyes:

Hi point is not considered a premium gun.

diamondd2
05-26-2012, 11:23
Except run rings around it in accuracy among many other things. I own both brands, and I really like both. However, there are some things the Sig can do better.

Mechanically the Sig is no more accurate than a Glock. But if that's what you need to say to justify the 50%-75% premium that's fine. You just ain't fooling me.

Restless28
05-26-2012, 11:25
But true.

Back it up. As has been stated, show some evidence that its true.:wavey:

diamondd2
05-26-2012, 11:38
Back it up. As has been stated, show some evidence that its true.:wavey:

Let's see.

Glock:

Lighter
More reliable
More capacity
Longer barrel per class
Longer sight radius per class
Simpler (1 tool to take apart)
Better finish
More compact
More aftermarket accessories
As or more accurate
More sold than HK and Sigs combined
$250-$600 less for the Glock
Etc.

I owned both Sigs and HK's. I thought there was some kind of advantage since I paid huge premiums to my Glocks. It took me a while but I realized the Glock is a superior engineered pistol. I since have sold off the Sigs and HK's. I did however keep 1 Beretta.

Gregg702
05-26-2012, 11:40
Hi point is not considered a premium gun.

A Glock is also not considered a premium gun. They are both manufactured as inexpensively as possible, Glock just charges a more premium price.

diamondd2
05-26-2012, 11:44
A Glock is also not considered a premium gun. They are both manufactured as inexpensively as possible, Glock just charges a more premium price.

Your kidding, right?

Gregg702
05-26-2012, 11:47
Your kidding, right?

Nope. The reason many LEA's use the Glock is they are the least expensive guns that meet their minimum requirements. Calling them a premium gun is like calling a Ford a premium car.

TalkToTheGlock
05-26-2012, 11:47
Let's see.

Glock:

Lighter
More reliable
More capacity
Longer barrel per class
Better finish
More compact
As or more accurate
Etc.

I owned both Sigs and HK's. I thought there was some kind of advantage since I paid huge premiums to my Glocks. It took me a while but I realized the Glock is a superior engineered pistol. I since have sold off the Sigs and HK's. I did however keep 1 Beretta.

Sig has 18 round flush fitting mags plus 20 round mags and mag extenders.

What grip options does Glock offer?

How ergonomic is Glock compared to Sig?

More compact, I don't care for compact pistols.

Does Glock offer aftermarket factory threaded barrels?

What accessories are more available for Glock over Sig?

Field stripping a Sig doesn't require the pull of a trigger and is much easier to breakdown then Glock with just the release lever instead of those horrendous tabs.

Reliability? About the same.

Accuracy is in the shooter.

Glocks are made of polymer which will degrade in a hundred years. Sigs will still be around in a hundred years.

Hi-Points sell more than Glock. Does that make them "better".

Compare apples and apples next time.

Whatever floats your boat and gets your Jimmy's rustled is best for you.

Good day.

TxGlock9
05-26-2012, 11:51
Let's see.

Glock:

Lighter
More reliable
More capacity
Longer barrel per class
Better finish
More compact
As or more accurate
Etc.

All those things that you've listed are arbitrary. Nothing definitive about it.

Restless28
05-26-2012, 11:52
Nope. The reason many LEA's use the Glock is they are the least expensive guns that meet their minimum requirements. Calling them a premium gun is like calling a Ford a premium car.

Beat me to it.

diamondd2
05-26-2012, 11:53

I never heard of a Officer losing his life because a Glock failed.

Gregg702
05-26-2012, 11:55
I never heard of a Officer losing his life because a Glock failed.

And how many stories do you hear of LEO's losing their life because their Sig failed? And what does reliablity have to do with whether or not a Glock is considered "Premium"? You're grasping at straws.

diamondd2
05-26-2012, 11:56
All those things that you've listed are arbitrary. Nothing definitive about it.

Arbitrary? Everything I listed is what makes a pistol superior. It is also the Glock specs that every manufacturer is compared to.

arclight610
05-26-2012, 11:56
Let's see.

Glock:

Lighter
More reliable
More capacity
Longer barrel per class
Better finish
More compact
As or more accurate
Etc.

The Koolaid is strong with this one.

diamondd2
05-26-2012, 11:58
And how many stories do you hear of LEO's losing their life because their Sig failed? And what does reliablity have to do with whether or not a Glock is considered "Premium"? You're grasping at straws.

Idk. Maybe not enough officers carry Sigs, HK's etc. My point is why pay a huge premium for them when they can't do anything better than a Glock.

diamondd2
05-26-2012, 12:00

On ice. It's delicious.

I'm trying to get a job as a Glock salesman.

diamondd2
05-26-2012, 12:07
Sig has 18 round flush fitting mags plus 20 round mags and mag extenders.

What grip options does Glock offer?

How ergonomic is Glock compared to Sig?

More compact, I don't care for compact pistols.

Does Glock offer aftermarket factory threaded barrels?

What accessories are more available for Glock over Sig?

Field stripping a Sig doesn't require the pull of a trigger and is much easier to breakdown then Glock with just the release lever instead of those horrendous tabs.

Reliability? About the same.

Accuracy is in the shooter.

Glocks are made of polymer which will degrade in a hundred years. Sigs will still be around in a hundred years.

Hi-Points sell more than Glock. Does that make them "better".

Compare apples and apples next time.

Whatever floats your boat and gets your Jimmy's rustled is best for you.

Good day.

Everything you listed with the exception of the 18rd mag sound like personal preference and have nothing to do mechanical and engineering aspects of the pistols.

18rd mag yes, but did you ever see the size and feel the weight of that pistol?

TxGlock9
05-26-2012, 12:15

This isn't his first rodeo. :rofl:

Averageman
05-26-2012, 12:21
I have no experiance with Sig Pistols, but having owned two of their crap made in America rifles I would rather burn my money in the backyard them give them anymore business.

m2hmghb
05-26-2012, 12:29
Idk. Maybe not enough officers carry Sigs, HK's etc. My point is why pay a huge premium for them when they can't do anything better than a Glock.

Why pay the huge price difference when a hi-point will do just as well as a glock?

Bruce M
05-26-2012, 12:32
In my limited experience either of my USPs is more accurate than any of my Glock's. The USPs are also strong enough to be rated for .45 Super with no modifications. My P220 stainless is also more accurate and it is a better fitted and finished gun. Either feels better in my hand, which, admittedly is subjective. I have had no reliability issues with any of them. The one thing I would concede is the Glocks have all been less expensive.

gocubs6
05-26-2012, 12:34
Why pay the huge price difference when a hi-point will do just as well as a glock?

Exactly. 9 out of 10 Sigmas will never fail either. Bad argument.

TalkToTheGlock
05-26-2012, 12:37
Everything you listed with the exception of the 18rd mag sound like personal preference and have nothing to do mechanical and engineering aspects of the pistols.

18rd mag yes, but did you ever see the size and feel the weight of that pistol?

You are talking out of both side of your mouth. One minute you are talking about accessories and finishes and the next you are talking about how I have personal preference. Which is it?

Oh and the fit is better on the Sigs.

Considering I own two P226's and a P220 I think I would know how much they weigh. And I carry a P226.

diamondd2
05-26-2012, 12:40

Because a hi point will not do as well. I don't know anyone who would trust their life to a high point. Also, I don't think there is one pd/agency that issues or approves hi points.

Why the hell would you guys compare a Glock, Sig, HK to a Hi point?

diamondd2
05-26-2012, 12:42
Considering I own two P226's and a P220 I think I would know how much they weigh. And I carry a P226.

Now I know why you are so argumentative and pissed off.

Hey, its your money.

Zombie Steve
05-26-2012, 12:47
Because a hi point will not do as well. I don't know anyone who would trust their life to a high point. Also, I don't think there is one pd/agency that issues or approves hi points.

I had a hi-point in the early '90's. Never failed me once. My G30 has choked a few times with factory ball ammo. Nothing major, but it's not perfection either. Come to think of it, my G30 even with its rare non-ammo related stoppages has been less reliable than my Sig P220 I used to have and the two 1911's I have now.

As far as the worst blueing / finish ever, that award has to go to my Ruger Blackhawk.

diamondd2
05-26-2012, 12:48
Whatever, you guys win.

Sigs and HK are well worth the 50%-75% premium. :thumbsup:

And ill pick up a Hi point tomorrow.

Im going to fondle my Glocks now.

fnfalman
05-26-2012, 14:09

A Hi-Point will fire at least several mags without jamming.

How many rounds do you expect to fire for self-defense as a civilian?

M&P15T
05-26-2012, 14:20
My USP40 was nice, but massively over priced for what it was.

My P226 9MM was nice, but waaaay too big and heavy to carry.

GLOCKs are a very nice for me, a great package overall.

Nothing about SIGs or H&Ks justify their stupid prices.

Restless28
05-26-2012, 14:34
My USP40 was nice, but massively over priced for what it was.

My P226 9MM was nice, but waaaay too big and heavy to carry.

GLOCKs are a very nice for me, a great package overall.

Nothing about SIGs or H&Ks justify their stupid prices.

The same can be said for Glocks. $500 to $600 for a Glock is stupid price, IMO.

gocubs6
05-26-2012, 14:35
I have a 226 and a P228. I bought them both used and agree that the new prices are a bit too much for my blood. However, the CPO's and other used Sigs are great deals in IMO. I'd rather have a used 226 or 228 over a Glock. Hence, I sold my 19 and 26.

I wanted to like the Glocks. They are simple, reliable firearms. However, they just didn't work for me. My XDM, in my hands, ran circles around the Glocks in all aspects. Just my experience and I'm not saying that is true for all.

M&P15T
05-26-2012, 14:36
The same can be said for Glocks. $500 to $600 for a Glock is stupid price, IMO.

Hundreds cheaper than SIG & H&K, which (for me) do nothing better, and a few things worse.

Restless28
05-26-2012, 14:37
Hundreds cheaper than SIG & H&K, which (for me) do nothing better, and a few things worse.

Care to explain?

M&P15T
05-26-2012, 14:43
Care to explain?

Larger & heavier, DA/SA triggers instead of consistent striker triggers.

Plus the H&K was a jammer. However, I think it was just a lemon, I would buy another if I had money to burn.

fnfalman
05-26-2012, 14:43

Hundreds more than a Hi-Point, which does essentially the same thing: Go bang often enough to fight off a bad guy.

At least the Hi-Point has the decency to be made entirely out of metal instead of half plastic. Hell, a big ass tupperware basket at Wally World only costs $10.

oldman11
05-26-2012, 14:44
Mechanically the Sig is no more accurate than a Glock. But if that's what you need to say to justify the 50%-75% premium that's fine. You just ain't fooling me.

+1 :yawn:

fnfalman
05-26-2012, 14:45
Larger & heavier,

If a few ounces and half an inch is hardship for you then eat some spinach and go to the gym.

DA/SA triggers instead of consistent striker triggers.

Thank god for double strike capability. If it's good enough for Uncle Sam...

NEOH212
05-26-2012, 16:31

It sounds like you never owned one of either. :whistling:

NEOH212
05-26-2012, 16:34
I've seen them used and new in the case and the finish suuuuuure does wear off quick! Not that it affects reliability, but if in gonna plunk down >$800 I'd be PISSED if it was worn off in a couple of months.... HK's seem to have that same issue, especially on the barrel hoods. They are completely a different color oftentimes...

The finish on both aren't as durable than the Glock's but it's never been a issue for me. The finish is purely cosmetic and has no bearing on the function of the firearm. Any working gun that doesn't sit in the safe is going to show wear. I personally don't purchase guns for looks. I purchase them to shoot.

That means the get use and show wear. It doesn't matter to me either way. They shoot the same regardless of how much finish they have left on them. Even though the finish is worn on a few of My Sig and HK pistols, I haven't had any corrosion issues and they still shoot just fine.

I don't see the issue but that's just me though.

Jackalo626
05-26-2012, 16:48
At least the Hi-Point has the decency to be made entirely out of metal instead of half plastic. Hell, a big ass tupperware basket at Wally World only costs $10.
That "half plastic" frame is strong enough to have been used since day one so I think it is safe to say it's fine. BTW I have Sigs and Glocks and don't really have a favorite and not taking sides but the plastic comments from people are funny like it is made from a brittle Pez dispenser haha.

Jackalo626
05-26-2012, 16:50
To the OP yes I believe the finish on the barrels specifically wears more than any pistol I have owned. I polished the one that had wear because it just looked abused. I actually don't like shiny metal but it was a better look to me than neglected.

diamondd2
05-26-2012, 16:52

Ok. Im back from fondling my inferior Glocks.

I did own a Sig and a HK. Sig was my first pistol Funny story how I was tricked into it. And now I think about it probably why so many first time buyers end up with a Sig or HK. Here is how it usually goes down.

I enter LGS as a first time buyer with very limited knowledge of guns.

Me. Hi im looking for my first handgun for HD.

Sales: We got a great selection, i can help you.

Me: Great, I was thinking about getting a Glock. I hear they are reliable and proven and all the local cops have them.

Sales: Well the cops have them because they are cheap. Glocks are plastic and have blown up in peoples hand.

Me: NO!

Sales: Yes, come over here and look at this Sig.

Me: Wow, that's nice.

Sales: Its all metal and it's DA/SA too.

Me: Wow! I dont know waht that means but it is awesome.

Sales: You will be happy with this gun.

Me: Your right! Whoa, why so much?

Sales: Because it is the best, most accurate, most reliable, handgun ever made, it's not plastic, and it will never blow up in you hand.

Me: Wow! That explains why it's almost twice the price as the Glock. Thanks for your help. Ill take it.

Sales: Your welcome....:supergrin:

diamondd2
05-26-2012, 16:54
Lighten up folks, we are on a Glock Forum board after all.

TalkToTheGlock
05-26-2012, 17:12
Now I know why you are so argumentative and pissed off.

Hey, its your money.

Considering I paid the same if not less for all three than a Glock, yes, I am happy.

I have Glocks and think they are great. But it is apples and oranges. Period.

Good day.

Beretta92guy
05-26-2012, 17:23
:ambulance: I like the direction this thread is going :ambulance:

Restless28
05-26-2012, 17:25
Lighten up folks, we are on a Glock Forum board after all.

You don't have to worship the Glock to be on the forum, hence the General Firearms Forum.

This isn't General Glocking, so fanboys tend to get butt hurt here.

Jackalo626
05-26-2012, 17:34
Considering I paid the same if not less for all three than a Glock, yes, I am happy.

Sigs new price to Glocks new price are generally higher. The argument about getting one cheaper on a good deal is irrelevant. I picked up a once fired Glock for $300 cash but I don't say Glocks cost $300.

G26S239
05-26-2012, 17:35
Ok. Im back from fondling my inferior Glocks.

I did own a Sig and a HK. Sig was my first pistol Funny story how I was tricked into it. And now I think about it probably why so many first time buyers end up with a Sig or HK. Here is how it usually goes down.

I enter LGS as a first time buyer with very limited knowledge of guns.

Me. Hi im looking for my first handgun for HD.

Sales: We got a great selection, i can help you.

Me: Great, I was thinking about getting a Glock. I hear they are reliable and proven and all the local cops have them.

Sales: Well the cops have them because they are cheap. Glocks are plastic and have blown up in peoples hand.

Me: NO!

Sales: Yes, come over here and look at this Sig.

Me: Wow, that's nice.

Sales: Its all metal and it's DA/SA too.

Me: Wow! I dont know waht that means but it is awesome.

Sales: You will be happy with this gun.

Me: Your right! Whoa, why so much?

Sales: Because it is the best, most accurate, most reliable, handgun ever made, it's not plastic, and it will never blow up in you hand.

Me: Wow! That explains why it's almost twice the price as the Glock. Thanks for your help. Ill take it.

Sales: Your welcome....:supergrin:
So Glocks are better because you were got tricked into buying a Sig? :rofl: You must have a terribly weak will. If you ever go to NYC don't let someone sell you the Brooklyn Bridge.

Gregg702
05-26-2012, 17:37
So Glocks are better because you were got tricked into buying a Sig? :rofl: You must have a terribly weak will. If you ever go to NYC don't let someone sell you the Brooklyn Bridge.

The guy with all the watches really does have real Rolex's though, right? :wavey:

05-26-2012, 17:46
Why do folks like to feed trolls?:dunno:

diamondd2
05-26-2012, 17:49

No. Point is that just becuase you pay more for something dosen't make it better than the less expensive one.

Kinda like a Cadillac Escalade and a Chevy Burb. The caddy is not really any better, just a little more chrome and bling, but in the end can't do anything better than the Chevy. And you paid a ****load more for it.

BTW, I work in NYC. Ill take the bridge for the right price. Thanks

diamondd2
05-26-2012, 17:50

I love this stuff. Evertime someone has a good argument, right away they are a troll.

G26S239
05-26-2012, 18:23
The guy with all the watches really does have real Rolex's though, right? :wavey:

:supergrin: :thumbsup:

Restless28
05-26-2012, 18:33

Sport, of course.

TalkToTheGlock
05-26-2012, 19:08
Sigs new price to Glocks new price are generally higher. The argument about getting one cheaper on a good deal is irrelevant. I picked up a once fired Glock for $300 cash but I don't say Glocks cost $300.

I never say I bought them new. I couldnt physically buy them new because they were made before I was born. In those days they were $550 however new. Don't put words in my mouth please.

Thanks.

arclight610
05-26-2012, 20:40
Most of these arguments are focusing on the legacy line of Sigs. A much better comparison is the polymer Sig line vs Glocks. Sig blows Glock out of the water in value in that case.

samuse
05-26-2012, 20:43

Either that or he just can't shoot a double action! :rofl:

Zombie Steve
05-26-2012, 23:07
The finish on both aren't as durable than the Glock's but it's never been a issue for me. The finish is purely cosmetic and has no bearing on the function of the firearm. Any working gun that doesn't sit in the safe is going to show wear. I personally don't purchase guns for looks. I purchase them to shoot.

That means the get use and show wear. It doesn't matter to me either way. They shoot the same regardless of how much finish they have left on them. Even though the finish is worn on a few of My Sig and HK pistols, I haven't had any corrosion issues and they still shoot just fine.

I don't see the issue but that's just me though.

Gotta agree. I have an Ed Brown Special Force (the other s wore off). It's finish wasn't that great, but it's not the start of the gun, it's the finish. So what.

fnfalman
05-26-2012, 23:39
That "half plastic" frame is strong enough to have been used since day one so I think it is safe to say it's fine. BTW I have Sigs and Glocks and don't really have a favorite and not taking sides but the plastic comments from people are funny like it is made from a brittle Pez dispenser haha.

How safe is that tupperware frame in a dish washer?

rahrah12
05-27-2012, 00:13
One problem is that Sig offers many different varieties at many different price points...

All of the Glock models are around the same price (new)...location effects that price.

My Glock 21SF and Sig P220 Carry have been great. Unfortunately or fortunately I have not had any problems with the ambi-release on my Glock. But I can send it back to Glock when/if I have a problem...thats a hassle I haven't had with my Sig.

mr00jimbo
05-27-2012, 01:12
My Sig's finish is not too shabby, but then again I don't holster it. I think Glock has just raised the bar in what a good, durable finish is.

My stainless sig doesn't wear though! ;)

AngryPanda
05-27-2012, 11:55
You guys crack me up. "Well the Glock has a longer sight radius!"

"Oh yah, well I don't have to pull the trigger to take my Sig apart!

All ya'll just need to go get yourself a 1911 and stop arguing.

TxGlock9
05-27-2012, 13:24
You guys crack me up. "Well the Glock has a longer sight radius!"

"Oh yah, well I don't have to pull the trigger to take my Sig apart!

All ya'll just need to go get yourself a 1911 and stop arguing.

+1. Well, my glock is blacker than yours!

fnfalman
05-27-2012, 17:24
+1. Well, my glock is blacker than yours!

My Glock is greener than yours.

m2hmghb
05-27-2012, 19:14
By the way I've seen bluing on commercial russian makarovs that was so horrible it was beyond belief.