Apache Ankle Rig [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Apache Ankle Rig

FL Airedale
05-25-2012, 18:36
Years ago, I carried a Beretta 21 in an ankle holster. Although the holster was expensive and made by a major manufacturer, it was uncomfortable.

Between that and realizing that a .22 wasn't my first choice for a backup gun, I got rid of the Beretta and the holster.

After doing a lot of web searches on favorite ankle holsters, I bought a DeSantis Apache Ankle rig for my Glock 26.

Yesterday I wore it just a few hours. I had it on too tight and my sock wasn't tall enough to keep all of it off my skin. It wasn't bad, but it got irritating after a while.

I put it back on 13 hours ago. This time it's a bit looser and I have a taller sock. I took the Glock out only once today, for about an hour, while I was at the range.

I'm not working today. I did spend about 3 hours in the car, went shopping a Wally World and the grocery store and took my dogs for about a 1 mile walk.

This holster is starting to get uncomfortable. The fact that it was barely noticeable for about 12 hours is great!

I'm very happy with this purchase!

barth
05-27-2012, 04:43
Years ago, I carried a Beretta 21 in an ankle holster. Although the holster was expensive and made by a major manufacturer, it was uncomfortable.

Between that and realizing that a .22 wasn't my first choice for a backup gun, I got rid of the Beretta and the holster.

After doing a lot of web searches on favorite ankle holsters, I bought a DeSantis Apache Ankle rig for my Glock 26.

Yesterday I wore it just a few hours. I had it on too tight and my sock wasn't tall enough to keep all of it off my skin. It wasn't bad, but it got irritating after a while.

I put it back on 13 hours ago. This time it's a bit looser and I have a taller sock. I took the Glock out only once today, for about an hour, while I was at the range.

I'm not working today. I did spend about 3 hours in the car, went shopping a Wally World and the grocery store and took my dogs for about a 1 mile walk.

This holster is starting to get uncomfortable. The fact that it was barely noticeable for about 12 hours is great!

I'm very happy with this purchase!

I have an DeSantis Apache Ankle for my 11.1 oz S&W 342 ti 38 J-Frame.
It's super comfortable and I can wear it all day easy.
The problem is I live in Tampa Florida.
And it's so damn steamy hot here most of the time.
The holster just gets to feeling hot on my leg.
I rarely us it.

Just in the winter,
but my winter is like most peoples summer.

FL Airedale
05-27-2012, 09:23
I'm in Florida too. Carrying the pistol in my IWB holster is not very comfortable either. I hate going out in public carrying a fanny pack. I do use the fanny pack when I'm doing yard work.

How do you carry to minimize the heat?