Revolver speedloader practice, tips etc? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Revolver speedloader practice, tips etc?

malleable
05-25-2012, 18:40
I'm refocusing on revolvers and want to practice using HKS speedloaders. I've done the basic YouTube, search but there are so many videos that contradict each other, I want to learn right the first time. I'm a visual person so is there a no BS video that stands out to you? Also how do you best practice? I primarily use WC so is chamfering worth the $. Tips/help appreciated.
(I'm right handed)

countrygun
05-25-2012, 19:32
The biggest tip I can give is to index the thumb of the weak hand holding the cylinder, at the back edge of the cylinder between the flutes so it is "in front" of the chamber. At the same time the index finger is touching one of the rounds in the loader so "finger finds thumb"

Sounds complicated, hard to put in words, easy to demonstrate.

On a competiton, service, or SD revolver, chamferring is worth it MO. I bought the tool from Brownells so I can DIY.

cowboy1964
05-25-2012, 20:53
Watch this and practice practice practice.

037 Massad Ayoob Demonstrates the "Stressfire" reload for the Revolver - YouTube

Berto
05-25-2012, 21:12
I basically use the FBI method Ayoob described, though I don't have much issue with the forcing cone and I am careful to keep the gun pointed straight up. Dominant hand punches ejector rod.
Whichever method you adopt, get 12 A Zoom snap caps and a few speedloaders (like the ones you'll carry) and practice.

cowboywannabe
05-26-2012, 05:24
i started policing at the end of revolver carry for cops, but i was initially issued an L frame .357mag.

i am primarily a right handed shooter so i prescribe to the method massad speaks of, using my left hand to invert the revolver and eject the spent shells and my right hand for charging the new rounds.

the forcing cone burning my middle finger during the reload isnt that bad because i dont take long to do the reload.

P.S. i use Safariland Comp speed loaders because they require less fine motor skills.

ithaca_deerslayer
05-26-2012, 05:29
Good thread.

Bullman
05-26-2012, 08:16
Liked the Ayoob video, looks like it was well thought out. I, like cowboywannabe carried a revolver at work for a few years and that was not how I was trained so I don't know if I could learn a new method or not without a lot of practice.

barth
05-26-2012, 08:30
I've got three HKS speed loaders and a belt pouch to carry them in.
But speed loaders are bulky by nature and I usually don't carry them.

Usually use speed strips and load 2 at a time
and/or 2x2x2 pouch rather than speed loaders.

Now for my personal tip of the day - LOL!
The New York Reload.
With 20+ years carrying I find the ultimate revolver reload -
is drawing a second loaded revolver.

I carry a S&W 640/357 on my belt.
And an 11.1 oz S&W 342 ti 38+P in my pocket.

That's the ticket my friend.

malleable
05-26-2012, 14:21
Thanks for the responses

fnfalman
05-26-2012, 14:22
Liked the Ayoob video, looks like it was well thought out.

I do it like the way Ayoob video was shown. Interestingly enough, I never watched the Ayoob video. I just did it by watching others shooting wheelguns and myself shooting wheelguns and see which reloading technique is the most foolproof. Most of the speedloaders are HKS because I find it hard to push the short button on the Safariland speedloaders. If I were to use the long button Safariland speedloaders then they're too bulky to carry around.

Usually use speed strips and load 2 at a time
and/or 2x2x2 pouch rather than speed loaders.

I carry speedstrips with my snubbies because carrying speedloaders will defeat the purpose of maximum concealed carry of a snubbie.

Now for my personal tip of the day - LOL!
The New York Reload.
With 20+ years carrying I find the ultimate revolver reload -
is drawing a second loaded revolver.
That's the ticket my friend.

I agree.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Guns/Holsters/BeltnFaceOffnCrossdraw5.jpg

Bullman
05-26-2012, 17:08
That is quite a rig there fnfalman. :wow:

cowboywannabe
05-26-2012, 20:51
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Guns/Holsters/BeltnFaceOffnCrossdraw5.jpg

id love that if they made them for 2" model 64s.

fnfalman
05-26-2012, 23:46
id love that if they made them for 2" model 64s.

Seth's Gunleathers. I'm sure they can make a rig for you.

fnfalman
05-26-2012, 23:51
That is quite a rig there fnfalman. :wow:

And it carries well too. The holsters spread the weight so well that I don't even feel it, not even when I sit down against something.

Probably not a rig that you intend to chase a perp down, scale a fence or do some sort of ninja roll drills with, but for joe schmoe who wants New York reloads...it works.

At first I did it for giggles, but when Seth's Gunleathers sent the rig to me and I tried them out, it was like, "wow, this rig might have some practical application."

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Guns/Holsters/PaladinColtSnubbieWaist1.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Guns/Holsters/PaladinColtSnubbieWaistDraw2.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Guns/Holsters/FaceOffColtSnubbies1.jpg

Bullman
05-27-2012, 02:34
I guess I could get me some more SP101s, or...... start buying up some snubby 65s.

Andrewsky
05-27-2012, 10:29
I think Safariland speedloaders are a lot better than HKS.

malleable
05-27-2012, 12:05

Glad you found what works best for you but I prefer HKS.

Andrewsky
05-27-2012, 12:42
Glad you found what works best for you but I prefer HKS.

Why?:dunno:

countrygun
05-27-2012, 12:47

I won't buy a Safariland.

I had one jamb on me at zero-dark-thirty one night. I can't tell you what caused it, but I can tell you that they don't bounce off a sidewalk.

All I have now are HKS

AA#5
05-27-2012, 14:01
I prefer to open the cylinder with my right thumb, hook my left hand fingers around the frame, turn the gun vertical & push the ejector rod with my left thumb while my right hand goes for loaders.

malleable
05-27-2012, 14:59
Why?:dunno:

I admit to having very little experience with Safariland but they seemed to be designed more for competition than real world and more prone to accidentally release if pocket carried, dropped, abused etc. My Father & Grandfather carried HKS so I guess the acorn doesn't fall too far from the tree.
Why do you prefer them?

Berto
05-27-2012, 15:07
The Safarilands are fast and nice, but they don't hold up to daily life nearly as well as the HKS loaders.

Andrewsky
05-27-2012, 15:08
I'm using the Comp-2 speedloaders. The only way to release the cartridges is to press on the six-sided center star with your finger or by pressing it against the revolver's cylinder. When you press down on the cylinder you are gripping the speedloader by its body, not by the circular knob.

I like them better than HKS because they are quicker and I'm less likely to accidentally release the cartridges.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/742807/safariland-comp-2-revolver-speedloader-ruger-gp100-s-and-w-581-681-586-686-38-special-357-magnum?cm_vc=1338BrandPopProd

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/medium/742/742807.jpg

Andrewsky
05-27-2012, 15:09
The Safarilands are fast and nice, but they don't hold up to daily life nearly as well as the HKS loaders.

What kinds of failures have you had with the Safarilands?

Berto
05-27-2012, 15:12
1)The all plastic star wears out and lets go
2) the let go in your pocket if you bump them

I still have a couple comp II's like yours, but I carry the HKS.

concretefuzzynuts
05-27-2012, 15:32
That video makes total sense.

concretefuzzynuts
05-27-2012, 15:37
Here's his video on speed strips.

037 Massad Ayoob Demonstrates how to Reload the Revolver with the Bianchi "Speed Strip" - YouTube

Bullman
05-27-2012, 21:16
I am a Safariland user as well. I have HKS loaders let go rounds in my pocket too, I guess it is just what you get used to.

malleable
05-28-2012, 10:15
I told a friend of mine about this post and he stated that he prefers Safariland also, so this morning we went shooting and I have to admit they were quicker although a pain in the butt to lock. Apparently what I had tried before was called COMP-3 and made for competition, these were much more practical.

AZson
05-28-2012, 18:56
Here is a bit of a little spin to think about, this place for about $200

http://www.moonclips.com/?gclid=CJ7yxoWkpLACFSIHRQodXUAIZA

Will take your favorite revolver cylinder and machine it to take moon clips. The price includes 10 stainless steel moon clips and a tool to put the rounds in the clips.

concretefuzzynuts
05-28-2012, 19:02
Here is a bit of a little spin to think about, this place for about $200

http://www.moonclips.com/?gclid=CJ7yxoWkpLACFSIHRQodXUAIZA

Will take your favorite revolver cylinder and machine it to take moon clips. The price includes 10 stainless steel moon clips and a tool to put the rounds in the clips.

They're great as long as the clips don't get bent during carry.

VinnieD
05-28-2012, 21:55
I think it's worthwhile to also practice reloading with the off hand, while keeping the revolver in the dominant hand. There are uses, such as being able to keep additional rounds on your off side for quick access, and being able to more quickly bring your revolver back into position.

Downside is if you've got an overmolded grip, it may get in the way of getting a speed loader in there cleanly, and you'll only have an index finger keeping the cylinder steady.

It's still worth the time to be able to do it reliably. You never know when a situation may call for it.