Remembering.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remembering....

kcb
05-25-2012, 19:57
Tomorrow my beloved Daddy lost a short 3 1/2 week battle
with pancreatic cancer 19 years ago...May 26, 1993...leaving
a devastated family behind.

He was a veteran of the Korean War. A husband to my mother for ALMOST 43 years...just a month and 2 weeks shy;
a loving "daddy" to three daughters, and a much loved "papa" to two granddaughters and two grandsons. He passed his third granddaughter as he entered heaven, and she came to us...we believe to help comfort us. She graduated from high school last week....so time has marched on without him. :sad: :)

He had JUST retired the winter prior to his death; and had received a clean bill of health in February of 1993. Over his last Christmas (1992) I over heard him tell a friend that he had not felt better in years. He was excited about his retirement. Though knowing the man that he was, he would ALWAYS work and be active...he had already began a consulting business. (Which I found the paperwork on a few weeks ago...he had set it up for me to do consulting in my field as well...:hearts: )

He was an honorable man. He was very much respected by those who knew him and worked with him. He was the smartest man I have ever known.

Any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a "daddy".

I miss him everyday, and it still hurts....I just don't think about it all the time like I did in the beginning. It was his words that I could hear in my heart, that made me know I had to move forward, for my children, my husband and myself.

Don't take anyone you love for granted. You never know.

You just never know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9ZMDPf9hZw&feature=related

kcb
05-25-2012, 20:05
:hearts:

My Daddy.

A few moments before this photo was taken, my bridesmaids were walking down the aisle. Daddy and I were waiting for the big moment.

He turned to me and pointed to the door to the parking lot where the car was, and said to me, "Sweetheart, you say the word and we are OUT OF HERE! The deal can be off right here, right now!" (He didn't give his girls away easily!)

:rofl: :wow:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/kcb405/April141979DaddywalksKarendowntheaisle.jpg

My family a few years earlier....my older sister and I were both in high school. Man, this photo looks OLD. Oh wait...that might be because IT IS!!!!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/kcb405/ArthurGCannonJrFamily1972.jpg

69stingray
05-25-2012, 20:43
:angel: I understand how you feel.

This is a bit different but, it was/is a strange feeling for me when I realize I have lived longer than my Mom. She died young so all of my memories of her are that way. If I make it 6 more I'll pass my Dad's age. And yeah I still miss them both.............

Ray

kcb
05-25-2012, 20:53
:angel: I understand how you feel.

This is a bit different but, it was/is a strange feeling for me when I realize I have lived longer than my Mom. She died young so all of my memories of her are that way. If I make it 6 more I'll pass my Dad's age. And yeah I still miss them both.............

Ray

Wow. I'm so sorry, Ray.

I do still have my mom. She is 80 years old now. She was only 61 when we lost Daddy. She was alone for 8 years and
thought she found love again, but was wrong. She tried to keep her vows, but the man, well I won't go into any details.
We had to convince her that we would be more proud of her if she admitted it was a mistake and left the marriage than to let him try finish the goal he had in mind when he married her.

He died six months after she left him.

She was so lonely, and we realized that was what blinded her.

She still misses daddy. They met and fell in love when she was 14 and he was 15. He was her only love.

She has found peace in being alone now. There are worse things than that.

I can't imagine not having her in my life. She is fiesty and healthy for 80 years old. I've seen women in their 60's that look 20 years older than my mom.

I can only hope that I inherited a little bit of that, but I think
I've already had way too much sun in my life without spf factors. I recall laying on the beach in college wondering what PABA free suntan lotion meant and what was wrong with PABA????

God bless you in your longevity, Ray!

:angel:

kcb
05-26-2012, 20:29
It has been a WONDERFUL day!

I have so many blessings in my life to be thankful for!

Time spent with good friends...and great neighbors!

I've always known that we were blessed when we chose THIS street to build our home on all those years ago.

We went out to "date night" tonight and our across the street neighbors joined us. (They have a motorcycle, too, so we decided it was a nice evening to ride the bikes downtown...and it really was!)

Their youngest daughter is home from college for the summer, and she wasn't feeling good. She called us...her parents...to say someone strange was at the door...about 30 minutes before we were ready to come home. They rang the doorbell, and stood at the door for a while. She didn't answer, and they finally left.

We called each two other neighbors to go check on her.

She called us as we were getting on the bikes to head home, and said someone came to the door again, rang the bell and ran.

We called neighbors again, hopped on the bikes and went in 2 different directions to race home. We arrived first, and all of the neighbors we called were there searching the area for strangers. We updated them on the sequence of events, and
their next door neighbor lady and I ran to the door to let their daughter know we were all out there for her. She finally felt okay about opening the door!

All of us have lived here for quite a while, and have each other's backs. I am so thankful for this friendhip and security in this world when most people don't even speak to their neighbors.

We all made sure we had EVERYONE's current phone numbers...because the crime rate is up with all of the unemployment in our area. A couple of us are home most of the time...or will be during the summer months, which also gives us extra security.

God is so good!