Wow ! A 10mm forum !! Hey guys [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wow ! A 10mm forum !! Hey guys

Rick305
05-25-2012, 20:03
Hey guys , let me introduce myself !

I'm Matt from Jax , FL !

I got my G29 about two weeks ago -- and I love the gun. I'm an XD guy -- but needed a new carry and have been eyeing the 29 for a while , just never could "find one in the wild". I've been bugging people in "General Glocking" with questions that should have been directed here !

The only problem I have is -- SOLID info. My LGS'es have different answers to my questions so I'm hoping you guys can set some stuff straight.

Since purchasing my G29 I immedetly added TFO's and the Ghost Rocket Trigger Kit (installed by glock gunsmith). So here are my questions , and I thank you guys in advance for any help !!!

-1. after I got my ghost rocket smithe'd on I went on Ghosts website to order a backplate -- and saw on their rocket add a *note (10mm / .45 glocks need the 6lb striker spring and leave the glock saftey spring due to possible light primers and ccw)

I LOVE THE TRIGGER , it's the best trigger I've ever used. I've put 250 rounds through my setup (180gr hydrashocks and AA target) which includes the entire rocket kit (4# striker spring , and reduced safety spring) with NO light strikes , FTF , FTE , JAMS , etc ... No issues

2- Since being on GT , I learned about Underwood Ammo -- and ordered a few boxes (including 135gr jhp's nelson's that are rated at 1600fps , and 165gr TMJ and JHP sabers that rate 1400fps) they should be in the mail tomorrow or Monday .

Now guys -- I went ahead and ordered a Wolff guide rod / 21lb Recoil Spring kit (for $35) was this a good idea for these very powerful rounds ? Or was the stock RSA fine ? I don't want to have a KB on a 1600fps JHP :wow:

3- I also added the 6# striker spring to my Wolff order (after reading ghosts notice that SHOULD have been on the package) How will this effect my trigger pull (I love how it is , but it's my CCW) ?

4- And when I get my mail with all this stuff -- is the reduced safety spring necessary to have put back on ? (I believe it's in the packet where the gunsmith gave me my parts back) ? I'm not too sure what it even does :dunno:

Last but not least lol -- I noticed that sometimes I don't see a muzzle flash while at the range ... I'm very tall and the target is not level with me so I'm assuming that it's because I'm shooting low every now and then ? Because when I aim for upper chest area (on silhouette) I get a nice muzzle flash.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can give answers to these questions that I've been searching for for days !!! I am sorry for the long post , but dont know many people and the ones i do know csnt help much thats why i love forums ! Glad to join the 10 ring !

I would like to note that GHOST should be clear on all kits sent to vendors and gunsmiths , because I wouldn't have to ask some of these questions -- regardless they make one heck of a trigger !

Here's a pic of her !
http://img.tapatalk.com/0c6f877a-3e07-6ba2.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/0c6f877a-3dcb-7b18.jpg

WeeWilly
05-25-2012, 22:01
I have never been very good with multipart questions, so if I leave something out, I apologize ahead of time.

My experience with GR kits is the striker spring (the lightened ones that come in the complete kit) tend to cause light strikes. I load Winchester primers for the most part and they don't have the hardest cup and I still get light strikes when using GR light striker springs. My opinion is the light striker spring has the least impact on the trigger feel. Leave the stock striker spring in the gun and you should be fine.

On the safety spring. I like the light safety spring. I think putting the light safety spring is one of the important things on the full GR kit. FWIW, on any 80 series 1911 I get, I immediately remove the drop safety, linkage, etc. and put in a spacer plate, many times that is all I want to do to the trigger. I have only dropped one gun in my life and that was on purpose.

A heavier recoil spring will not cause a KB. It may inhibit proper function but you won't damage your gun. If you are good enough to notice the felt recoil difference load to load a heavier spring will seem like more recoil. It also may reduce any frame battering that will occur from the slide hitting the frame at the end of travel when shooting hot loads. Give it a try, all you have to do is field strip it if it doesn't work as expected.

I can't help you with the muzzle flash stuff, maybe ask your girlfriend to video tape your whole session, just edit out the part when you are bringing the target back. ;)

swinokur
05-26-2012, 06:29
I tried 21 lb springs and SS Wolfe guide rods in both my G29SF and G20SF. Kept the guide rods but went back to stock weight springs. They work fine with Underwood 180g GD JHP and Georgia Arms 180g FMJ range ammo I shoot. I use 40 cal conversion barrels (KKM and Storm Lake) with no issues either. I just am of the opinion that guns used for carry should be kept as close to stock as possible. But that's just me. YMMV of course.

Welcome aboard BTW.

Rick305
05-26-2012, 07:51
Thanks guys and Willie I ordered the upgraded rod/spring to avoid a KB with the Nelson 1600fps rounds -- I figure a stronger rod and spring is just better insurance.

So thanks for your help ! I'm going to keep the safety spring and switch out the 4lb striker with a 6lb and get the Wolff guide rod / 21lb and shoot some nukes at the range .

Any opinions on why I don't always see muzzle flash ?

gofastman
05-26-2012, 13:36
:welcome:

I ordered the upgraded rod/spring to avoid a KB with the Nelson 1600fps rounds -- I figure a stronger rod and spring is just better insurance.

A stock glock 20 or 29 will handle ANY commercially manufactured ammo loaded to SAAMI specs.

This includes ALL ammunition manufactured by Swampfox (yes, even the super nuclear stuff, although not recommended), Underwood and Buffalo Bore.

As far as triggers go;
I have found even the Wolff 4.5lb striker springs cause my g20 to have occasional light strikes when using CCI primers.
I use the OEM Glock red striker springs, my second choice is a Wolff 6LB. I wouldn't go any lighter than the stock 5.5lb trigger spring (If I need a "glass rod" trigger I'll buy a 1911.)
I also have a Ghost Rocket with a slight DS cut (http://www.ghostinc.com/c=aKTl0E9M9M1D7NrEHyO7zczR2/category/the_dave_spaulding_cut_for_glocks_with_rockets___tacticals/), an increased power trigger return spring, and a light plunger safety spring. I have tried quite a few connectors and other parts, but this is the best combo to get a trigger that feels decent and a gun that works 110% of the time.

For the record, I feel a stock Glock trigger is 10x better than any XD/XDm trigger I have ever felt, but to each their own.

Rick305
05-26-2012, 20:25
:welcome:

A stock glock 20 or 29 will handle ANY commercially manufactured ammo loaded to SAAMI specs.

This includes ALL ammunition manufactured by Swampfox (yes, even the super nuclear stuff, although not recommended), Underwood and Buffalo Bore.

As far as triggers go;
I have found even the Wolff 4.5lb striker springs cause my g20 to have occasional light strikes when using CCI primers.
I use the OEM Glock red striker springs, my second choice is a Wolff 6LB. I wouldn't go any lighter than the stock 5.5lb trigger spring (If I need a "glass rod" trigger I'll buy a 1911.)
I also have a Ghost Rocket with a slight DS cut (http://www.ghostinc.com/c=aKTl0E9M9M1D7NrEHyO7zczR2/category/the_dave_spaulding_cut_for_glocks_with_rockets___tacticals/), an increased power trigger return spring, and a light plunger safety spring. I have tried quite a few connectors and other parts, but this is the best combo to get a trigger that feels decent and a gun that works 110% of the time.

For the record, I feel a stock Glock trigger is 10x better than any XD/XDm trigger I have ever felt, but to each their own.

Thanks for the reply man !!!

Hmmm , well now I'm curious -- I gave my gun to the LGS , the lady took it to the back and the gunsmith installed the 35.00 rocket kit. This is what I was given -- I don't see red springs , so I wonder if he possibly knew to put a 6lb striker ? Or left the OEM one ? Here's a pic -- don't see any red springs ...

http://img.tapatalk.com/0c6f877a-c06d-d683.jpg

Rick305
05-26-2012, 20:32
Better pic of what I got back after install .... I have a wolf 6lb striker being delivered but am wondering if he already put one in ? Any of you recognize these OEM parts?225482

gofastman
05-27-2012, 01:11
the striker spring (the biggest one) is definitely OEM, the trigger return spring (second to the biggest) is probably OEM-hard to tell from the pic. The stock springs are a grayish color(I think they are galvanized for corrosion resistance, not positive though)
The little one is the firing pin safety spring, If I had to guess I would say that is a stock part.

The Glock red spring is more or less the same as the Wolff 6lb spring striker spring.
Its not available to the US market for some reason, but I have connections :supergrin:
http://eu.glock.com/english/index_options.htm

A firing pin spring and a striker spring are the same thing when talking about Glocks

Rick305
05-27-2012, 11:32
man thanks so much for your time !!!

So i guess he put all the parts in the kit in there -- when all my stuff comes in the mail (rod,21lb rec. spring,wolf 6lb) im goinna put that in ...

Rick305
05-27-2012, 11:36
im so happy you took the time to explain the info i needed. i know i come off as a newb but im just new to glocks ! Thanks again

gofastman
05-27-2012, 13:29
a word of warning....
There are two plastic spring cups that hold the striker spring on, they will go flying off into another dimension if your fingers slip off the striker spring during removal!
wear safety glasses when working with that stuff, seriously.

this should be helpful:
http://www.reviewsofthings.com/guns/glock-firing-pin-assembly-disassembly-instructions.html

you will notice one side (left side in this pic) of the striker spring has more coils at the end, this end goes over the spring cups.
http://www.reviewsofthings.com/images/glock-firing-pin-assembly-parts.jpg

tyr0981
06-04-2012, 19:03
a quick personnel experience with the 'Metal guide rod / (in my case) 19 lb spring' so when i "upgraded" the spring and guide rod it immediately created problems (due to the slowed slide action i think) stove pipes, and failed to load mostly, a few failed to eject, as soon as i put the old plastic rod / OEM spring back in, it worked FLAWLESSLY for the next ~100 rnds.

i switched because i was trying the 200 Grain shells, and would occasionally put the slide all the way back, i've since gone down to 180's and everything is perfect! Glock put a 15lb spring in their on purpose, i recommend you keep it factory man! no more reliable weapon out their then an OEM Glock! good luck bro

dpadams6
06-05-2012, 07:38
a quick personnel experience with the 'Metal guide rod / (in my case) 19 lb spring' so when i "upgraded" the spring and guide rod it immediately created problems (due to the slowed slide action i think) stove pipes, and failed to load mostly, a few failed to eject, as soon as i put the old plastic rod / OEM spring back in, it worked FLAWLESSLY for the next ~100 rnds.

i switched because i was trying the 200 Grain shells, and would occasionally put the slide all the way back, i've since gone down to 180's and everything is perfect! Glock put a 15lb spring in their on purpose, i recommend you keep it factory man! no more reliable weapon out their then an OEM Glock! good luck bro

What he said. I also had problems with ftf/fte after switching my rsa in my 20/29...Went back to stock and no problems..If for ccw, i believe stock is a must...

cowboywannabe
06-05-2012, 07:58
who is "nelson's". is that an ammo maker?

have you tried Underwood yet?

_The_Shadow
06-05-2012, 08:05
Rick305, :welcome: to the 10mm forum...Congrats with the Glock 29! They are a great rugged, small, flexible platform for 10mm. :supergrin: The 29 will also handle the 40S&W/357Sig/9x25Dillon conversions with just a barrel swap. :wow:

Best regards!

Rick305
06-05-2012, 08:18
Thanks guys -- and I was referring to the Nelson (sp?) 165gr 1600fps underwood 10mm ammo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GRT45
06-05-2012, 08:37
I believe you're thinking of the Underwood 10mm 135gr Nosler JHP rated at 1600 fps (http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmauto135grainjacketedhollowpointboxof50.aspx)

Rick305
06-05-2012, 12:45
I believe you're thinking of the Underwood 10mm 135gr Nosler JHP rated at 1600 fps (http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmauto135grainjacketedhollowpointboxof50.aspx)

Yep !

Sorry I misspelled -- I have 3 boxes of underwood. 165gr Gold Sabers (1400fps) , Nolser 135gr (1600fps) , and 165gr TMJ (1,400fps)

I just got back from my gunsmith , he installed the guide rod w/ 21# recoil spring and 6# striker. I am going to the range soon , and am now loaded up with the 135gr'ers.

The slide is harder to rack , but it doesn't matter because I'm always cocked n' locked. And when chambering a round with the slide open she closes pretty fast and firm lol.

dbcooper
06-06-2012, 07:09
Howdy Matt. Another citizen of the ville here.

Answers at the LGS here vary with the day of the week, time of day, and who is at the counter.

ME at "Largest stocking dealer"

I'm looking for a g20

counter guy 'I think we have the gen 4"

me 'The gen 4 isn't out yet"

Counter guy " All we have is the comp. version"

me "I not interested in the C model, can you order one?"

guy " Well this one helps with recoil"

me "I'm not concerned with recoil ( Thinking hey numbnuts if I was worried about recoil I'd be shopping for a .380 with the rest of the ladies) and if I want to shoot cheaper I can always get a short and weak conversion barrel"

guy "nobody makes a conversion for the 10mm"

me" Noone except Wolf, KKM, etc etc."

On the way out I saw a g20 in the used gun case, origionally purchased 2 months before and returned. Walked out with a hell of a deal.

Rick305
06-06-2012, 19:43
Howdy Matt. Another citizen of the ville here.

Answers at the LGS here vary with the day of the week, time of day, and who is at the counter.

ME at "Largest stocking dealer"

I'm looking for a g20

counter guy 'I think we have the gen 4"

me 'The gen 4 isn't out yet"

Counter guy " All we have is the comp. version"

me "I not interested in the C model, can you order one?"

guy " Well this one helps with recoil"

me "I'm not concerned with recoil ( Thinking hey numbnuts if I was worried about recoil I'd be shopping for a .380 with the rest of the ladies) and if I want to shoot cheaper I can always get a short and weak conversion barrel"

guy "nobody makes a conversion for the 10mm"

me" Noone except Wolf, KKM, etc etc."

On the way out I saw a g20 in the used gun case, origionally purchased 2 months before and returned. Walked out with a hell of a deal.

Lol !!!!

I saw a used G20 at my LGS a few weeks ago ... University ?

dbcooper
06-14-2012, 21:53
Lol !!!!

I saw a used G20 at my LGS a few weeks ago ... University ?

That'd be the one

Rick305
06-15-2012, 14:57
That'd be the one

Nice buy !

I was getting my G29 TFO's on and a guy almost bought her !

Congrats -- how's she running?

Angry Fist
06-15-2012, 20:23
Yep !

Sorry I misspelled -- I have 3 boxes of underwood. 165gr Gold Sabers (1400fps) , Nolser 135gr (1600fps) , and 165gr TMJ (1,400fps)

Kick ass! I just ordered UA 135's, 180 Gold Dots, and 200 TMJ. I wanna see how much penetration that 200 gets.

Mike from Texas
06-15-2012, 21:08
Thanks guys and Willie I ordered the upgraded rod/spring to avoid a KB with the Nelson 1600fps rounds -- I figure a stronger rod and spring is just better insurance.

So thanks for your help ! I'm going to keep the safety spring and switch out the 4lb striker with a 6lb and get the Wolff guide rod / 21lb and shoot some nukes at the range .

Any opinions on why I don't always see muzzle flash ?

Because you're not supposed to, especially with defensive ammo. If you do see it regularly on carry ammo, get another ammo. Muzzle flash in carry ammo is undesirable at best.

Rick305
06-18-2012, 22:46
I'm trying to locate a 10mm reloader in jax , or a box of silvertips but the only options I'm seeing (besides underwood) are CorBon (40$ for a box of $50) , Hornady (180 or 200) CD (I think they are only rated at 1,100fps) , and Hydrashocks which are just .40's in reality.

Anyone know where to get a box or 2 of silvertips in Jax? I think they would make a great defense ammo.

I also believe I was getting flash from the Golden Saber 160gr woods loads lol

ModGlock17
06-19-2012, 05:26
I am surprised Jax doesn't have a BassPro Shop. They carry the best reloading supplies I've seen, at retail. Your closest BassPro is in Savanah.

Otherwise, try to make friends with old guys at the shooting ranges and ask them about reload suppliers. Some may lump mail order supply with you to split hazmat fees.