What's the rationale behind the comment, "40 Short and Weak"? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's the rationale behind the comment, "40 Short and Weak"?

CDR_Glock
05-25-2012, 21:19
Mas

I see this comment and your answer regarding higher velocity ammunition, brought up a thought. Is the 40 S&W called short and weak because of the 180 grain round? Or is it because it's a 10 mm short? I had thought that most 10mm rounds in this recent time were watered down versions of what the FBI used for the initial testing.

Rick

Mas Ayoob
05-26-2012, 05:49
Col. Cooper referred to the .40 S&W as the 10mm Short, which wasn't that inappropriate a designation. The folks who thought a proper 10mm Auto load was a 200 grain bullet at 1200 feet per second weren't too excited about a 180 grain bullet the same diameter running 1000 fps or less.

The .40, in my view, achieved its great popularity because it was an acceptable compromise between a single stack .45 and a double stack 9mm, particularly as a general issue service pistol. Those who didn't care for it tended to be folks who didn't see a need for compromise.

best,
Mas