im still on the .45acp or 10mm seesaw... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : im still on the .45acp or 10mm seesaw...

cowboywannabe
05-26-2012, 04:03
i have a G20 and G29 (and C.D.E.) with a good bit of 10mm ammo.

i dont shoot the 10mm much anymore now that my wife and daughter are more in to shooting.

i will keep my C.D.E. for the occasional hunt and just to have a 10mm, but if really considered trading the 20 and 29 for a 21 and 30. this is because i can get more paractical use from a .45acp than a 10mm.

this is not a caliber war debate. i would still have a 10mm for woods carry and the occasional chance hunt....

so, if you had a 10mm that already fit all of your 10mm needs, would you trade your G-10mms for G-45acps?

uzimon
05-26-2012, 04:16
i have a 20 and will likely get a 21 or 21sf soon.just because glock collecting is addictive:cool: and since i saw the vid of the 20 shooting at 200 yards i really want to get to that level. which the .45 wont be able to do.
why sell? why not just get more
ps: whats a c.d.e.? and do i need one? :)

cowboywannabe
05-26-2012, 04:23
not selling, would trade them though.

Colt Delta Elite, First Edition Stainless at that! whoot!

depends on your wants.

uzimon
05-26-2012, 04:41
not selling, would trade them though.

Colt Delta Elite, First Edition Stainless at that! whoot!

depends on your wants.

oh, of course.
at this stage if i had a grand i'd get a colt 6920/m4.
but like you said, depends on your wants:wavey:

DG2
05-26-2012, 04:45
I would trade or sell them in a heartbeat and get what I wanted.

The DE is a fine 10mm pistol. It seems to be what you need as well as what you want for its purpose.

Get rid of the others. Get what you want.

blastfact
05-26-2012, 08:29
I would get rid of the CDE. I had a 1st edition oooo so many years ago. Broke links, cracked slide. Worse hand gun I ever owned.

Ethereal Killer
05-26-2012, 08:57
Man I sure do like shooting a 45. it just feels good in the hand. but in the end when logic took it's turn, I came to the conclusion that the good ol 9mm performed the same on targets that counted and I could fit more of them in a smaller package for less money than the 45 and I could shoot it faster and better.

Then The 10 got bumped up to do everything else the 9 was weak at. woods, hunting, magnum caliber type stuff.

At that point the 45 just looked kinda weak and lame in the big spectrum, as it didnt have as many rounds as either of the others and didnt match the power of the 10mm or the size and cost of the 9mm. When logic prevailed the choice was so obvious I wondered why I kept it around as long as I did.

So now it's just 9mm and 10mm for service pistols for me.

As for platform, I feel that the glock so outclasses the 1911 in almost every way that it's kind of a no-brainer. BUUT the fact of the matter is that people choose guns because they resonate with them and like them. it's the rare gun owner who will choose a gun then train with it enough to mold himself to that system. Most folks just pick something they like the feel of first. the 1911 does feel better in the hand than a G20/21 to be sure, so I totally get the appeal.

in the end you get to decide whether logic wins out over emotion, but I think there is room for both with most folks. Just dont let emotion rule where logic should.

dm1906
05-26-2012, 09:21
Or......
For about the price of a 21 or 30, you can get .45 barrels, slides and mags for BOTH, the 20 and 29. The best of both worlds (or would that be 4?)

Yondering
05-26-2012, 10:30
If you're thinking about a 45 Glock, do it. I like my 21SF way more than I wanted to. I bought it with the intention of selling the top end to a friend, and building a long slide 10mm, but it shoots so well that I ended up keeping it. It's one of the most accurate pistols I've owned, and I've owned a lot. Also, if you are a cast bullet shooter, the Glock 45 barrels work really well; that's pretty much all I shoot through mine.

You can always get the 45's, and just get some 10mm conversion barrels for them. Keep some of your 10mm mags just in case.

WeeWilly
05-26-2012, 10:35
If you're thinking about a 45 Glock, do it. I like my 21SF way more than I wanted to. I bought it with the intention of selling the top end to a friend, and building a long slide 10mm, but it shoots so well that I ended up keeping it. It's one of the most accurate pistols I've owned, and I've owned a lot. Also, if you are a cast bullet shooter, the Glock 45 barrels work really well; that's pretty much all I shoot through mine.

You can always get the 45's, and just get some 10mm conversion barrels for them. Keep some of your 10mm mags just in case.

This was my experience with the 21SF as well. If you want some serious poke, you can load .45 Super and get into 10mm territory muzzle energy wise and still get that big old hole.

harleytech
05-26-2012, 11:02
Gotta get both...!
Just because....

TSAX
05-26-2012, 22:58
Gotta get both...!
Just because....

You can always get one now and the other down the road.

:50cal:

LASTRESORT20
05-26-2012, 23:02
Man I sure do like shooting a 45. it just feels good in the hand. but in the end when logic took it's turn, I came to the conclusion that the good ol 9mm performed the same on targets that counted and I could fit more of them in a smaller package for less money than the 45 and I could shoot it faster and better.

Then The 10 got bumped up to do everything else the 9 was weak at. woods, hunting, magnum caliber type stuff.

At that point the 45 just looked kinda weak and lame in the big spectrum, as it didnt have as many rounds as either of the others and didnt match the power of the 10mm or the size and cost of the 9mm. When logic prevailed the choice was so obvious I wondered why I kept it around as long as I did.

As for platform, I feel that the glock so outclasses the 1911 in almost every way that it's kind of a no-brainer. BUUT the fact of the matter is that people choose guns because they resonate with them and like them. it's the rare gun owner who will choose a gun then train with it enough to mold himself to that system. Most folks just pick something they like the feel of first. the 1911 does feel better in the hand than a G20/21 to be sure, so I totally get the appeal.

in the end you get to decide whether logic wins out over emotion, but I think there is room for both with most folks. Just dont let emotion rule where logic should.

Im the same....9mm & 10mm for me also...I understand...:cool:

Bullman
05-27-2012, 02:27
Or......
For about the price of a 21 or 30, you can get .45 barrels, slides and mags for BOTH, the 20 and 29. The best of both worlds (or would that be 4?)

This is what I would do. I have thinned my .45 herd quite a bit, I am down to 1. I figure if I get anymore .45s it will be some sort of 1911. Lone Wolf can fix you up with .45 uppers for both your 20 and your 29 then you will have it all.

gofastman
05-27-2012, 17:55

I absolutely agree, E.K.

To the OP, Ill buy your 29 if the price is right :supergrin:

VN350X10
05-27-2012, 20:06
I carry my 29 in the gunshop, use my 20 for GSSF, my 34 & 35 for USPSA, my 21 for the few times I still shoot IDPA & a Springfield 1911 comp/optic gun for bowling pins.
Don't sell any, just get a bigger gun safe......
The rest of them are just for fun.(the list is NOWHERE complete !)

uncle albert

Bullman
05-27-2012, 21:10
I carry my 29 in the gunshop, use my 20 for GSSF, my 34 & 35 for USPSA, my 21 for the few times I still shoot IDPA & a Springfield 1911 comp/optic gun for bowling pins.
Don't sell any, just get a bigger gun safe......
The rest of them are just for fun.(the list is NOWHERE complete !)

uncle albert

The list is never complete:supergrin:

XmmAUTO
05-27-2012, 22:01
The 10mm is everything the 45 wishes it could be. I sold my Glock 21 to fund my Glock 20. My last purchase was a S&W M&P 9mm which has become my daily carry piece. I've downgraded to two calibers so I can stock more ammo. I bought the 9 as to have a gun in a standard NATO caliber. The Mighty Ten fills the role of everything else. IMO if your budget requires you to trade or sell then get what you desire as you will not be happy if you don't. I would still advise you to get a good service handgun in 9mm NATO.

VN350X10
05-27-2012, 22:05
Bullman, the list I show is what I'm talking about....there's at least 9 .44 Mags, alone!
My tagline on glockpost reads "My gun safe is bigger than my first appartment"
and I'm almost not kidding !

uncle

leadslinger13
05-28-2012, 05:49
i went with 10 mm for the same reasons as the above posters have stated. Still if you want more versatility then get a 9 mm and 40 S&w conversion barrels for the for the glock 20. they both shoot out of the glock 20 using all standard equipment with the exception of the 9 mm, as you will need a lighter recoil spring. Now if you still want to shoot the larger bullet then i do think there are loads offered and or researched for the 230 out of the 10 mm. that should get you where you want to be all with the same base gun and magazines. the all shoot reliably and accurately with a 1/3 of the cost for the barrels.
Oh and don't forget the Advantage arms 22lr conversion with g26 magazine plugs as replacement to give you 13 rounds per mag.

hmmmm 4 calibers 5 if you shoot 230 grain from one gun what more could you ask for.

If you still want bigger rounds then go with the S&W 45 lc model 25. next on my list for handguns.

VN350X10
05-28-2012, 10:46
Don't forget the possibility of a Ruger .45LC/.45ACP convertible BlackHawk. More versitile than the S&W & can be loaded hotter in LC, near .44 Mag. levels !
just a thought.

uncle albert

purrrfect 10
05-28-2012, 13:59
I don't own a 45 I have no need for one I own a G20 Best pistol there is. I love shooting it by far it doesn't get any better than a G20 10mm short range and look out long range.

4949shooter
05-28-2012, 18:23
I shot my buddy's Glock 21SF, and can say itwas one of the better shooting handguns I have ever fired. Very nice.

What do you carry on duty, Cowboy?

leadslinger13
05-28-2012, 23:00
Don't forget the possibility of a Ruger .45LC/.45ACP convertible BlackHawk. More versitile than the S&W & can be loaded hotter in LC, near .44 Mag. levels !
just a thought.

uncle albert

i really like the double single and swing out cylinder instead of the single action only and gate feed of the ruger.

Can you explain why the blackhawk can be loaded hotter than the smith?

cowboywannabe
05-29-2012, 06:05
dept. issued duty gun is the G-17.

Bullman
05-29-2012, 06:18
i really like the double single and swing out cylinder instead of the single action only and gate feed of the ruger.

Can you explain why the blackhawk can be loaded hotter than the smith?

the Blackhawk is just built a little bit more robustly than the Smith. Thicker cylinder walls, solid frame with loading gate instead of swing out. Of course the double action Smith's are solid frame now as well.

4949shooter
05-29-2012, 18:08
dept. issued duty gun is the G-17.

Thanks.

leadslinger13
05-31-2012, 22:18
the Blackhawk is just built a little bit more robustly than the Smith. Thicker cylinder walls, solid frame with loading gate instead of swing out. Of course the double action Smith's are solid frame now as well.

thanks bullman

i think i am going to stick with keeping the smith on my list of hunting the internet for a good deal. Its time for me to hit the lotto!!! don't know whats taking so long...LOL.....

still want the 29sf, Super vepr 308. so if i ever some into some quick cash one of these will make it into my safe.

I had been considering selling my saiga 12 but every time i shoot it i walk away saying thats one dam fine shot gun. so I guess the only one rifle i would consider trying to sell for sextraxtra cash would be my 1SwedishdMausersuer 6.5X 55. I am going to have to take pics and get it ready for sale as these guns really have me hooked.

cowboywannabe
06-01-2012, 06:12
i guess im just going to keep my 20 and 29. never going to find any swappers in my area for the trade i want anyway and i can get hot .40cal level 10mm ammo off the shelf all day at my LGS and Academy sports/outdoors for the same price as .45acp.

once ive run through my stash of STHP and DT im going to strickly buy UNDERWOOD ammo only for defensive or hunting uses.....

mgentry
06-01-2012, 08:47
It is easier to find 45ACP ammo than it is to find 10mm.

Taterhead
06-01-2012, 17:03
It is easier to find 45ACP ammo than it is to find 10mm.

True, but you only need to find as much as you need, and 10mm ammo is not exactly scarce.

cowboywannabe
06-01-2012, 19:55
it is easier to find 45acp ammo than it is to find 10mm.

i guess it depends on where you are.
I can go into my lgs or academy sports/outdoors and buy the 10mm stuff watered down to .45acp or .40s&w levels all day.....

Its the true 10mm loadings that i have to order on line.

Hornady, cor-bon, win sthp are mid powered at best so why pay for that when i can order full powered loads for the same price?