Any 10mm guys here in Jax FL ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any 10mm guys here in Jax FL ?

Rick305
05-26-2012, 08:10
I don't know anyone around here and I think it would be cool to go to the range with a fellow GT 10 Ringer !

I shoot at Gun Gallery !

MIAMIbaseballer
05-26-2012, 15:03
I'm down in Miami if you ever make it that far south...

Rick305
05-26-2012, 20:34
Thanks man !!!

wolf19r
05-27-2012, 13:34
I don't have a 10mm yet but I'd go shooting with you sometime. I'm moving back into Jax in July/ August.

Rick305
05-29-2012, 10:19
I don't have a 10mm yet but I'd go shooting with you sometime. I'm moving back into Jax in July/ August.

Awesome Wolf! Just shoot me a Message whenever your in Jax !!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

edcrosbys
05-29-2012, 10:48
I shoot at Gun Gallery !

It's been awhile since I lived in Jax, but have you gone out to Gateway? They held the IDPA matches out there and it was the cheapest place to shoot around (if you do a membership). That should get you setup with a bunch of good folks.

nickE10mm
05-31-2012, 16:05
I don't know anyone around here and I think it would be cool to go to the range with a fellow GT 10 Ringer !

I shoot at Gun Gallery !

I don't live there, Rick, but I will probably be going there a few times in the next 6mo-1y for work.... we have a site down there and I will probably go a few times at least. Maybe I can bring my G29 along somehow and we can shoot while I'm there. I'll keep ya in mind!

dm1906
05-31-2012, 17:21
I don't live there, Rick, but I will probably be going there a few times in the next 6mo-1y for work.... we have a site down there and I will probably go a few times at least. Maybe I can bring my G29 along somehow and we can shoot while I'm there. I'll keep ya in mind!
If you're flying (like, in an airplane), just Fedex it to yourself, or someone there. If you're driving, just lock it in a box and stick it out of reach (trunk, etc.), but DON'T drive through D.C. until they get that fire and brimstone cooled down.

nickE10mm
05-31-2012, 18:39
If you're flying (like, in an airplane), just Fedex it to yourself, or someone there. If you're driving, just lock it in a box and stick it out of reach (trunk, etc.), but DON'T drive through D.C. until they get that fire and brimstone cooled down.

I'd be flying but don't know anyone there to mail a pistol to. Booo!

Taterhead
06-01-2012, 23:08
I'd be flying but don't know anyone there to mail a pistol to. Booo!

Flying with guns is easy. Checked unloaded in a hard case with a lock(s). Ammo can fly too. Ammo and mags can go in the locked case along with the G29. My wife just recently flew and checked a firearm. No problem at all.

Here is a site with the basics:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

dm1906
06-01-2012, 23:36
Flying with guns is easy. Checked unloaded in a hard case with a lock(s). Ammo can fly too. Ammo and mags can go in the locked case along with the G29. My wife just recently flew and checked a firearm. No problem at all.

That's great, except.....

Fedex has never misdirected or LOST my luggage. Every airline I've flown has lost something of mine, be it luggage, or my peanuts! I know you can check firearms (and I have a time or two), but I like my guns a lot more than they do. I wouldn't check firearms ever again (only department weapons for special ops detachments, when I did that). I'm sure it's "no problem at all", until they lost YOUR first one. Thank you, but no.

qas1178
06-01-2012, 23:44
We are going to be relocating and Jacksonville is very high on the list of cities we are considering. How do you like it so far? I plan on visiting before the end of the summer. I will pm you if when I do.

BTW I have a Glock 20 and shoot Underwood ammo

Taterhead
06-02-2012, 02:04
That's great, except.....

Fedex has never misdirected or LOST my luggage. Every airline I've flown has lost something of mine, be it luggage, or my peanuts! I know you can check firearms (and I have a time or two), but I like my guns a lot more than they do. I wouldn't check firearms ever again (only department weapons for special ops detachments, when I did that). I'm sure it's "no problem at all", until they lost YOUR first one. Thank you, but no.

Good points about the airlines. I have been pretty lucky to have never lost any checked items in my travels that have taken me as far away as India.

From personal experience, the big shippers lose stuff too. They lost an entire PALLET of expensive technical equipment that my team shipped very recently. What a freaking nightmare. Costs will be reimbursed, but that does not help the fact that manufacturing lead times for replacement units are more than 10 weeks out.

Furthermore, I am pretty certain that shipping a handgun via FedEx would require an FFL on at least one side of the shipment. Also, FedEx will not deal with ammo unless you have a hazmat account setup. UPS will ship ammo as long as the packages are labeled appropriately, but I am pretty sure that engaging an FFL will be required with UPS too for shipping handguns.

So, I guess, pick your poison. The hassle of shipping via FedEx, or rolling the dice and the convenience of checking through the airlines.

nickE10mm
06-02-2012, 05:26

Cool Tater ... I knew that stuff but for some reason I'd thought it was for long guns only. Good to know!

dm1906
06-02-2012, 10:54
......Furthermore, I am pretty certain that shipping a handgun via FedEx would require an FFL on at least one side of the shipment. Also, FedEx will not deal with ammo unless you have a hazmat account setup. UPS will ship ammo as long as the packages are labeled appropriately, but I am pretty sure that engaging an FFL will be required with UPS too for shipping handguns.

So, I guess, pick your poison. The hassle of shipping via FedEx, or rolling the dice and the convenience of checking through the airlines.

An FFL isn't required if the handgun can be legally possessed by the sender and recipient (same person, in this case), at the locations sent/received. Points in between are irrelevant.

FFL's only get involved when there's a change of ownership not exempted by a clause (such as the "Grandfather clause"). Most exemptions only require local DOJ notification. This is why you can send a handgun to a repair facility, and they can return it to you, without any additional documentation or red tape. Same rule.

Loaded ammo doesn't require HazMat certification. Only explosive components, such as powder and primers.

Taterhead
06-03-2012, 14:36
An FFL isn't required if the handgun can be legally possessed by the sender and recipient (same person, in this case), at the locations sent/received. Points in between are irrelevant.

FFL's only get involved when there's a change of ownership not exempted by a clause (such as the "Grandfather clause"). Most exemptions only require local DOJ notification. This is why you can send a handgun to a repair facility, and they can return it to you, without any additional documentation or red tape. Same rule.

Loaded ammo doesn't require HazMat certification. Only explosive components, such as powder and primers.

There is a difference between shipping rules, and firearms transfer rules. Of course shipping a gun to yourself is not a transfer. But it is a shipment of a firearm that, in and of itself, is subject to specific rules.

Repair facilities are FFL holders. That is why the owner of a firearm can ship to them, and the repair facility can ship back. See below.*

FedEx will not accept a firearm for shipment unless one side of the shipment (sender or recipient) is licensed. You must present paperwork identifying the license holder.

Handguns cannot ship ground. There is a lot more info about this, but here is a snippet from the FedEx site:

Firearms

G. Carrier will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from *individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
Carrier will transport small-arms ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Hazardous Materials section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as hazardous materials.

http://www.fedex.com/us/national/rulestariff/prohibited_articles.html

Ammo is considered an "Other regulated material for domestic shipment" (ORM-D). As such, it is subject to Hazmat rules. Therefore, if shipping with FedEx, a hazmat agreement is required. I went around and around with them about this recently when shipping a package of ammunition. The law does not require this account, but FedEx does.

UPS Ground is the way to go for ammo shipments since they only require proper package labeling: ORM-D in large letters outlined by a rectangle, and "cartridges small arms."

Don't we all feel safer for having all of these rules and regulations in place so that we can be protected from ourselves? :whistling:

dm1906
06-04-2012, 09:02
There is a difference between shipping rules, and firearms transfer rules. Of course shipping a gun to yourself is not a transfer. But it is a shipment of a firearm that, in and of itself, is subject to specific rules.

Repair facilities are FFL holders. That is why the owner of a firearm can ship to them, and the repair facility can ship back. See below.*

FedEx will not accept a firearm for shipment unless one side of the shipment (sender or recipient) is licensed. You must present paperwork identifying the license holder.

Handguns cannot ship ground. There is a lot more info about this, but here is a snippet from the FedEx site:
Firearms

G. Carrier will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:

Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from *individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).

...Carrier will transport small-arms ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Hazardous Materials section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as hazardous materials.

http://www.fedex.com/us/national/rulestariff/prohibited_articles.html

Ammo is considered an "Other regulated material for domestic shipment" (ORM-D). As such, it is subject to Hazmat rules. Therefore, if shipping with FedEx, a hazmat agreement is required. I went around and around with them about this recently when shipping a package of ammunition. The law does not require this account, but FedEx does.

UPS Ground is the way to go for ammo shipments since they only require proper package labeling: ORM-D in large letters outlined by a rectangle, and "cartridges small arms."

Don't we all feel safer for having all of these rules and regulations in place so that we can be protected from ourselves? :whistling:

I don't care to argue the issue, but if this is correct, my Fedex and UPS stores have it wrong. I've been sending and receiving for years, not a lot, but a few times a year. Since I also receive, other senders must have it wrong, too. All properly labeled.

dbcooper
06-06-2012, 10:40
I shoot up there on occasion, It'll probably be sometime in July before I can get back up there though. I told the Mrs. that the kids need to get me some range time for Fathers Day so maybe I'll get up there sooner.