Just made a guide rod out of a nail. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just made a guide rod out of a nail.

TN.Frank
05-26-2012, 12:28
Guy over on another forum lost the guide rod for his PK380. I was looking at mine when I cleaned the gun today and it looked for all the world like you could make up one pretty easily out of a proper size nail. Well, found a nail about the right size and with the help of my drill motor, Dremel and some files and sand paper I made up one that works like a charm. Who says you always need factory parts, LOL
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/3685/springguidee.jpg

hogship
05-26-2012, 12:33
I suspect the original guide rod may have been hardened.

In an emergency, you do what you have to do........but, I'd get OEM parts for something I depend on for survival.

I sometimes tell the story of how I used a paperclip for a cotter key on the tail rotor of a helicopter.......This was in the field, and no parts were available at the moment of need, so you do what you gotta do in circumstances like that.........

ooc

NDCent
05-26-2012, 12:36
Looks like you nailed it. :whistling:

Good job, I think you might have too much free time on your hands this holiday. :supergrin:

3rdgen40
05-26-2012, 12:36
I give it 2 or 3 shots before it bends out of shape.

arclight610
05-26-2012, 12:38
Your skilz are very honed for the Apocalypse

TN.Frank
05-26-2012, 12:44
I give it 2 or 3 shots before it bends out of shape.

I don't know, it's not all that long so it's pretty stiff and even the stock one doesn't look like it's too "high tech" IMHO. I'm sure the mild steel that the nail is made out of is as good for this application as anything else you could use. Heck, they're using aluminum, plastic, all sorts of stuff for guide rods.
This is what happens to guys who use to be Machinists who end up with too much time on their hands. They start making stuff weather they need it or not.LOL

countrygun
05-26-2012, 14:58
I once spent a chunk of a weekend making a firing pin for a single shot shotgun out of a broken drill rod.

Nakanokalronin
05-26-2012, 16:18
I don't know, it's not all that long so it's pretty stiff and even the stock one doesn't look like it's too "high tech" IMHO. I'm sure the mild steel that the nail is made out of is as good for this application as anything else you could use. Heck, they're using aluminum, plastic, all sorts of stuff for guide rods.
This is what happens to guys who use to be Machinists who end up with too much time on their hands. They start making stuff weather they need it or not.LOL

As a current machinist, I hear ya. :cool:

I do however suspect that the flared/head end might start bending over time. Not going to call how many shots it will take but I'm betting it will.

GOOFA
05-27-2012, 22:44
Why ?

m2hmghb
05-28-2012, 00:19
Most parts are annealed as well as hardened so they last longer. It looks good but I'm not going to bet on how long it will last.

faawrenchbndr
05-28-2012, 04:55
Years ago I made a "zip-gun" out of an ink pen. It actually worked,
But it did not end well,........nails have no place in a firearm.

Just because you CAN, does not mean you SHOULD!

KennyFSU
05-28-2012, 04:57
^ Words of wisdom right there. Although a "MacGuyver" gun pen sounds awesome, .22LR I presume?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

faawrenchbndr
05-28-2012, 04:59
^ Words of wisdom right there. Although a "MacGuyver" gun pen sounds awesome, .22LR I presume?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes sir,..........highly illegal & was damn near a grenade. One shot use only.

southernshooter
05-28-2012, 05:45
Should be a tack driver now.

joecoastie
05-28-2012, 05:54

:rofl:

TN.Frank
05-28-2012, 06:02

Yep, I should be able to "nail" the center of the target with every shot.
As to "Why?", just to see if I could, no other reason.

gatorboy
05-28-2012, 06:12
Brass and S.S. hinge pins work well.

GLOCK17DB9
05-28-2012, 06:29
Let me know when you go the range to try it out, I don't want to be there!:supergrin:

TN.Frank
05-28-2012, 06:33
I don't know why everyone is so afraid of this part. It's not like it's under a lot of stress during shooting, basically it just keeps the spring straight while the slide is moving. For God sake, Glock uses PLASTIC and has never had a problem. I'm sure steel is much stronger then plastic.
I'm sure if you can drive a nail like I made this out of into a piece of wood with repeated blows from a hammer without it bending it'll be fine as a non-stressed part used to keep the recoil spring on track.

faawrenchbndr
05-28-2012, 06:40
It's not about being scared,......it's about engineering!

jb1911
05-28-2012, 06:52
As a retired millwright/machinist I give it my blessing. Nice work.

TN.Frank
05-28-2012, 07:07
Once again, for those who didn't get it, I NEVER said I was going to actually use this part. I simply wanted to see if I could machine a guide rod to proper specs using materials at hand and I was able to. It was simply a "Proof of Concept" exercise. I still think it would be perfectly safe since there's no real stress on the part. It's simply there to guide the spring during slide movement.

4 glocks
05-28-2012, 09:14
Frank I think it will work. just do a 100 round test.

John D. made a gun out of a bar of soap and broke out of jail with it.

Angry Fist
05-28-2012, 09:19
Brass and S.S. hinge pins work well.
That's what I'm thinking.

GlockFish
05-28-2012, 13:35
Just made a guide rod out of a nail.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/3685/springguidee.jpg

You know, you can buy guide rods on the internet.
They will even let you buy more than one, you know, in case the first one breaks somehow.

:wavey:

arclight610
05-28-2012, 13:41
Once again, for those who didn't get it, I NEVER said I was going to actually use this part. I simply wanted to see if I could machine a guide rod to proper specs using materials at hand and I was able to. It was simply a "Proof of Concept" exercise. I still think it would be perfectly safe since there's no real stress on the part. It's simply there to guide the spring during slide movement.

Heck I would use it.

countrygun
05-28-2012, 13:43
You know, you can buy guide rods on the internet.
They will even let you buy more than one, you know, in case the first one breaks somehow.

:wavey:

When did they start doing that?

I feel sorry for folks who have never made a part for a gun simply because they could or wanted to see if the could.

"Problem Solving" in this day and age has been reduced to the problem of finding the right website.....More's the Pity.

ca survivor
05-28-2012, 16:51
nails are hardened and the plastic rod on the Glocks I'm sure are not.

Danimal3805
05-28-2012, 16:59
I'd use it just because *I* made it!! Won't know unless ya try! :thumbsup:

The Pirate
05-28-2012, 18:24
You should do a 100 rd. test as mentioned earlier. I just got done trying to drive a nail with my glock guide rod, it didn't work...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

samuse
05-28-2012, 20:37
A made a guiderod for a Glock (using factory spring) from a stainless bolt one day at work a few years ago.

I just turned it down with a little lathe and slicked it up with some emory cloth.

I used it for about 1K rounds, it didn't show any signs of wear or anything, but I tossed it after I got bored with it.

Guiderods don't do much.

jprj
05-28-2012, 20:42
Its function is basic. Good job.

Sent through outdoor hub mobile. - jim jaucian

themighty9mm
05-28-2012, 21:25
I say good on you frank. Simple, but smart thinking outside the box.

People make a big deal out of the guide rod. When you think about what its function actually is it becomes far less of an issue. Seems to me the only thing they much do is keep the recoil spring in place. Perhaps add weight. Thats why companies can get away with using plastics for them