S&P benefits of a hot dog cart/business [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S&P benefits of a hot dog cart/business

emt1581
05-26-2012, 13:59
I just figured I'd share with the rest of you since there are a bunch of things I'm learning and noticing the further I get into my business. Now keep in mind, at this point, my "business" is a one-day a week venture and I'm working on two days (Sat/Sun) because I already have a full time job.

First off, something I learned today...if you get yourself a business license, it only cost me $25. And what this shows is that you pay taxes on your business. Now for that $25 I was let into a club today.... a restaurant supply club. You want to talk about insanely cheap prices!!! WOW!! Bags and bags of rice, large cans of everything....it's pretty much a prepper's paradise! Not sure how hard it'd be for the rest of you but $25 a year is certainly worth it to me. And I'm not talking about sams club bulk....that seems to be retail prices or just under....I'm talking 50% less and 1000% more selection.

Second, today my portable propane water heater and water pump came in the mail. Only cost $150-ish to my door AND it came with a shower. Now all I gotta do is buy the hoses and regulator to connect it to my propane tank. I already had a cheap $5 solar shower bag from wal-mart. Now there is no need to rough it. Just push a button and I have an instant hot shower.

Third, by starting a food business I have LOTS of food on hand. Sure it's just hot dogs, snacks, drinks, and condiments, but that'll serve a dual purpose. 1) I can eat it if need be. 2) I can sell it.

Fourth, other than needing to make a trip or two each year to buy the dogs, I have a pretty independent way to make a living should things ever go south with my current full time job or the economy or society....well....society might be more of a challenge.

Fifth, networking....I've talked to a lot of vendors in my researching and they all said you meet LOTS of people...celebrities even. Who knows what connections/benefits that'll get me...but it certainly can't hurt.

Truth be told, this is one big experiment for me. All through my childhood I heard my dad go on about how he'd love to open a doggie shop and retire....but he never has to this day. I don't want to be 60+ and still whining about what could have been...it just wouldn't sit right with me. So by doing this, at least I can say I tried. And if it does work out and one day turns to two and two turns to more...I'd like to quit my current job and open a doggie shop and pass the business on to my son (who I named it after).

But for right now I have to start somewhere and this is it.

There are certainly other S&P related benefits I'm sure. I just thought I'd share the ones I've noticed so far.

One downside is that the costs were about 5%-10% more than I estimated so I may have to rely on my silver/stocks next month and cash in some....but that's why we prep right??

In the end, if all goes well, I can do this full time and make a killing. If it doesn't, oh well...I sell the cart and am out nothing.

EDIT: One huge thing I forgot to mention is how being an S&Per helped me get started. I'm one determined SOB. I do NOT give up. I had all kinds of red tape thrown in my way. You have no idea how horrible this process was. But through thinking outside the box and being resourceful I made it happen. Short of that, no way it would have. This is why I'm the first one in my city to make it happen legally. I got a pat on the back afterwards from both the local AND state Dept. of Health/Agriculture. They said they'd never heard of doing what I did to make things happen (basically I'm building my cart to be 100% self-sufficient and not need a separate commissary). Again, failure wasn't an option. Hopefully things work out as well if the SHTF...

Just figured I'd share. :)

-Emt1581

FatBoy
05-26-2012, 14:46
I just figured I'd share with the rest of you since there are a bunch of things I'm learning and noticing the further I get into my business. Now keep in mind, at this point, my "business" is a one-day a week venture and I'm working on two days (Sat/Sun) because I already have a full time job.

First off, something I learned today...if you get yourself a business license, it only cost me $25. And what this shows is that you pay taxes on your business. Now for that $25 I was let into a club today.... a restaurant supply club. You want to talk about insanely cheap prices!!! WOW!! Bags and bags of rice, large cans of everything....it's pretty much a prepper's paradise! Not sure how hard it'd be for the rest of you but $25 a year is certainly worth it to me. And I'm not talking about sams club bulk....that seems to be retail prices or just under....I'm talking 50% less and 1000% more selection.

Second, today my portable propane water heater and water pump came in the mail. Only cost $150-ish to my door AND it came with a shower. Now all I gotta do is buy the hoses and regulator to connect it to my propane tank. I already had a cheap $5 solar shower bag from wal-mart. Now there is no need to rough it. Just push a button and I have an instant hot shower.

Third, by starting a food business I have LOTS of food on hand. Sure it's just hot dogs, snacks, drinks, and condiments, but that'll serve a dual purpose. 1) I can eat it if need be. 2) I can sell it.

Fourth, other than needing to make a trip or two each year to buy the dogs, I have a pretty independent way to make a living should things ever go south with my current full time job or the economy or society....well....society might be more of a challenge.

Fifth, networking....I've talked to a lot of vendors in my researching and they all said you meet LOTS of people...celebrities even. Who knows what connections/benefits that'll get me...but it certainly can't hurt.

Truth be told, this is one big experiment for me. All through my childhood I heard my dad go on about how he'd love to open a doggie shop and retire....but he never has to this day. I don't want to be 60+ and still whining about what could have been...it just wouldn't sit right with me. So by doing this, at least I can say I tried. And if it does work out and one day turns to two and two turns to more...I'd like to quit my current job and open a doggie shop and pass the business on to my son (who I named it after).

But for right now I have to start somewhere and this is it.

There are certainly other S&P related benefits I'm sure. I just thought I'd share the ones I've noticed so far.

One downside is that the costs were about 5%-10% more than I estimated so I may have to rely on my silver/stocks next month and cash in some....but that's why we prep right??

In the end, if all goes well, I can do this full time and make a killing. If it doesn't, oh well...I sell the cart and am out nothing.

EDIT: One huge thing I forgot to mention is how being an S&Per helped me get started. I'm one determined SOB. I do NOT give up. I had all kinds of red tape thrown in my way. You have no idea how horrible this process was. But through thinking outside the box and being resourceful I made it happen. Short of that, no way it would have. This is why I'm the first one in my city to make it happen legally. I got a pat on the back afterwards from both the local AND state Dept. of Health/Agriculture. They said they'd never heard of doing what I did to make things happen (basically I'm building my cart to be 100% self-sufficient and not need a separate commissary). Again, failure wasn't an option. Hopefully things work out as well if the SHTF...

Just figured I'd share. :)

-Emt1581

Another good point... Hot Dog Carts are a CASH business. Just say'in.

emt1581
05-26-2012, 14:49
Another good point... Hot Dog Carts are a CASH business. Just say'in.

Actually, it's not. In my research I found that only 7 out of 10 americans on average carry cash. Now the doggie shops in my town are just cash but given I'm so small at one or two days a week I don't want to lose sales.

What am I doing about it??

I'm buying a prepaid burn phone with a touch screen and data service (Boost) and have one of those Squares in the mail to me so I can take credit cards.

No strings and fairly cheap.

-Emt1581

Akita
05-26-2012, 15:07
This sounds Great. I'm very happy for you and hope you get many hours of enjoyment, lots of great deals, and mega profits (hire some college types for weekend work with more carts as you grow?).

BUT, you know the internet rule.....if there isnt a pic of the hot dog cart, it didnt happen!

emt1581
05-26-2012, 15:20
This sounds Great. I'm very happy for you and hope you get many hours of enjoyment, lots of great deals, and mega profits (hire some college types for weekend work with more carts as you grow?).

BUT, you know the internet rule.....if there isnt a pic of the hot dog cart, it didnt happen!

I'm actually picking it up tomorrow morning.

What I'll do is snap a pic of the finished product if this thread is still up and running next week.

The trip to Lowes to pick up the mounting equipment and plumbing adapters should be fun tonight (if the downpour stops) or tomorrow.

As far as hiring kids and having more carts....I JUST BARELY made this happen by the skin of my teeth. Look at my other thread in GNG for more details. But in short, this is the ONLY cart I'll be allowed in my city. Other cities around me are just as bad. Maybe one cart per city....

-Emt1581

Dexters
05-26-2012, 15:25
EMT,
Have you figured out your pricing yet?

Will the prices be inclusive of taxes?

Will you be charging extra for toppings?

What will a plain dog cost?

What will a can of pop cost?

Will you be putting out a TIP jar?

emt1581
05-26-2012, 15:48
EMT,
Have you figured out your pricing yet?

Yes

Will the prices be inclusive of taxes?

Yes

Will you be charging extra for toppings?

Cheese and maybe chilli otherwise no

What will a plain dog cost?

Small dog $2 Large dog $2.75 or $3 not sure yet

What will a can of pop cost?

$.75 purchased separately but included in a meal

Will you be putting out a TIP jar?

Yes

-Emt1581

DoctaGlockta
05-26-2012, 17:19
The biggest expense for everyone is federal and state income taxes.

You now have a business which you can purchase many S&P items with pre tax dollars.

Writing off your biz expenses (and the odd S&p item ;) )will benefit you and your family immensely.

Congrats.

Reataurant depot is a pretty amazing place isn't it?

emt1581
05-26-2012, 17:41
The biggest expense for everyone is federal and state income taxes.

You now have a business which you can purchase many S&P items with pre tax dollars.

Writing off your biz expenses (and the odd S&p item ;) )will benefit you and your family immensely.

Congrats.

See due to the lack of cover I'm thinking I'll put a plate carrier with rifle plates inside and a G17 mounted to the front with a MICH helmet on top at the drawer near my feet....but I'm guessing Uncle Sam would NOT consider that a business expense. :supergrin:

Taxes are something I'm building in to my prices at around 30% based on my research and talking to tax preppers.

Before I open I'll be running my final numbers by my H&R block office to make sure I'll be good to go. It'd suck to open a place that will cost me money instead of making it for me.

But at this point I should be making between $.50 and $1 off of each dog AFTER taxes and costs.

-Emt1581

emt1581
05-26-2012, 17:43
Restaurant depot is a pretty amazing place isn't it?

Restaurant depot is amazing but they pissed me off royally today!! I drove an hour and a half only to find they decided to stop carrying Sabrett hot dogs a few weeks ago and never bothered to update their site. :steamed:

Tomorrow when I pick up my cart I'll be stopping at another one in NJ which the vendor I'm buying from buys his from.

-Emt1581

Dexters
05-26-2012, 17:51
-Emt1581

I think those are reasonable prices and get people to buy.

I'd say go with 2.75 on the large. For me, if it was $2 & $3 I'd buy two $2 ones.

I think those TIP jars are a good idea. I don't drop any money into them but many others do. Don't forget to 'seed' them with some change and bills when you open up.

Good luck.

emt1581
05-26-2012, 17:58
I think those are reasonable prices and get people to buy.

I'd say go with 2.75 on the large. For me, if it was $2 & $3 I'd buy two $2 ones.

I think those TIP jars are a good idea. I don't drop any money into them but many others do. Don't forget to 'seed' them with some change and bills when you open up.

Good luck.

Again, going back to research here but it is always easier to slowly/slightly raise prices than it is to get people to buy at already raised prices. Plus I'm happy making those amounts so I probably wouldn't raise for a while.

As far as a tip jar...I was always told never to tip and owner, so I don't. But I know a lot of others do. Plus I learned to bolt down the tip jar so someone doesn't run away with it. You grab that and try to run you won't like my response.

-Emt1581

DoctaGlockta
05-26-2012, 18:00
See due to the lack of cover I'm thinking I'll put a plate carrier with rifle plates inside and a G17 mounted to the front with a MICH helmet on top at the drawer near my feet....but I'm guessing Uncle Sam would NOT consider that a business expense. :supergrin:

Taxes are something I'm building in to my prices at around 30% based on my research and talking to tax preppers.

Before I open I'll be running my final numbers by my H&R block office to make sure I'll be good to go. It'd suck to open a place that will cost me money instead of making it for me.

But at this point I should be making between $.50 and $1 off of each dog AFTER taxes and costs.

-Emt1581

My advice stay far away from H&R Block. Find a real accountant that deals with small biz. You will reduce your personal tax burden from your day job. And as a small business you need to budget for security of yourself and equipment ;).

emt1581
05-26-2012, 18:03
My advice stay far away from H&R Block. Find a real accountant that deals with small biz. You will reduce your personal tax burden from your day job. And as a small business you need to budget for security of yourself and equipment ;).

Here's the problem though...

H&R block is who we used last year and found they were 400% more expensive than the guy at my work who takes care of taxes and budgeting for the entire kiddie prison. However, I don't want to tip off my work that I'm doing this until I'm up and running. I doubt they would do anything or get pissy but rather than risk it....

....that's why I was thinking H&R block initially. However, there is another small biz organization near me that is free so I think I'll give them a buzz.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Stevekozak
05-26-2012, 18:04
I am so interested in following this venture of yours! I think it is really a great thing to try. I hope you keep updates here, as I have no interest in going to that sad-sack lounge to read about it. Again good luck on your venture and I, for one, believe you will make a go of it!!

emt1581
05-26-2012, 18:06
I am so interested in following this venture of yours! I think it is really a great thing to try. I hope you keep updates here, as I have no interest in going to that sad-sack lounge to read about it. Again good luck on your venture and I, for one, believe you will make a go of it!!

Well, other than the inspectors who treated me like I was opening a crack house....everyone gave me the same response "MMM....I love hot dogs!!"... so I'm pretty optimistic about it. :)

I will definitely give updates but you know me....I'm on GT all the time. Just bump the thread(s) and remind me and I'll hop on.

-Emt1581

Akita
05-26-2012, 18:38

Agree 100% re H&R.
And in my world, night vision is a Must for a small businessman. Like DG sez, you have to budget for your personal and business security.

emt1581
05-26-2012, 18:40
Agree 100% re H&R.
And in my world, night vision is a Must for a small businessman. Like DG sez, you have to budget for your personal and business security.

:rofl:

Nice. But I think that'd raise an eyebrow or two, especially since I'm not allowed to operate after dark...

...yet another piece of red tape.

-Emt1581

DoctaGlockta
05-26-2012, 19:26

H&R block is who we used last year and found they were 400% more expensive than the guy at my work who takes care of taxes and budgeting for the entire kiddie prison. However, I don't want to tip off my work that I'm doing this until I'm up and running. I doubt they would do anything or get pissy but rather than risk it....

....that's why I was thinking H&R block initially. However, there is another small biz organization near me that is free so I think I'll give them a buzz.

Thanks

-Emt1581

If there is one person that can save you literally thousands and thousands of dollars over a lifetime is a great accountant. I gladly write a generous check to my accountant every year. Best money I spend all year. Just like everything else you get what you pay for.

Good luck.

20South
05-26-2012, 19:42

Thanks

-Emt1581

Nothing wrong with Block, just find one that is franchised and not corporate owned. You will find good people who know small business as well as anyone - since a block franchise is, well, a small business.

20South
05-26-2012, 19:43
Oh yeah - congrats on the business EMT.

RMTactical
05-26-2012, 20:26
Good luck with the business. Starting your own business is a challenge. Unfortunately, the govt doesn't want to make it easy to start a small business, but you can do it. You will learn a lot of lessons the hard way but a hot dog cart is not super duper expensive when it comes to start up costs (yes, it may seem a lot for you, but I am just saying when you compare it to many other businesses).

emt1581
05-26-2012, 20:43
Good luck with the business. Starting your own business is a challenge. Unfortunately, the govt doesn't want to make it easy to start a small business, but you can do it. You will learn a lot of lessons the hard way but a hot dog cart is not super duper expensive when it comes to start up costs (yes, it may seem a lot for you, but I am just saying when you compare it to many other businesses).

I know what you mean.

But the way I look at it, all this stuff is a one time deal. So we cry one and buy once. After this our yearly expenses will be the food items, propane, license/permit fees, and taxes.

This is also the perfect way for us to get going as far as I see it. No lease, no real utilities, little to no risk, and we still both have good jobs if it doesn't do well.

I just wish the brick and mortar places didn't complain so much to the lawmakers about vendors. It'd be a lot easier to get going....then again, this is why I have ZERO competition in my little high traffic area.

-Emt1581

ArmoryDoc
05-27-2012, 07:15
A tactical hot dog stand ! Why didn't I think of that ??? With knobbies and axle skidplate even. :)

Breadman03
05-27-2012, 08:01

My buddy (who took over my business) tried HR Block and got a $10,000 tax bill. He went to a CPA who pointed out how much they missed and got him to under $1000. Many of their workers are just crash course trainees. This is one area where you need to invest wisely.

DrSticky
05-27-2012, 08:30
If there is one person that can save you literally thousands and thousands of dollars over a lifetime is a great accountant. I gladly write a generous check to my accountant every year. Best money I spend all year. Just like everything else you get what you pay for.

Good luck.

A good accountant is a huge deal. My accountant is a small businessman too, so he understands and uses many of the techniques he recommends. For instance, Buy some meals when dining out on your business account so you can write them off, but if you buy all meals out or groceries you will red flag yourself. (You might get away with the groceries claim, since you sell food, but you get the idea.)

Good luck on the business. It was a good idea to pick one where you don't have to start until late in the morning too so you can sleep in!

shotgunred
05-27-2012, 09:53
A woman I know got a job from HR block this year as a tax preparer. She is a high school drop out and I consider her dumb as a bag of rocks. Last year she held up sandwich signs for HR block. She has lived on public assistance for her full life and these were her only two jobs. She was however able to go to the class the local agent had and then was set loose on the unknown public. Not exactly the person I would like to be doing my taxes.

bdcochran
05-27-2012, 10:26
The restaurant business is the toughest in the world.

Sure, Carl's started from a hot dog cart; and so did Pink's of Hollywood.

Then again, you (not your kids, your neighbors' kids, the local high school kids) or your wife work the cart.

You work the cart Saturday, Sunday and holidays. You aren't camping out, shooting or fishing on those days.

Sure, with your extensive storage, you will eat the unsold hotdogs.

You will be up before dawn to get supplies and work after sundown to clean the cart.

You can ask my adoptive grandmother, my brother-in-law, my clients who have been in the restaurant business and it isn't all blue skies and green lights.

Stevekozak
05-27-2012, 10:47

Then again, you (not your kids, your neighbors' kids, the local high school kids) or your wife work the cart.

You work the cart Saturday, Sunday and holidays. You aren't camping out, shooting or fishing on those days.

You will be up before dawn to get supplies and work after sundown to clean the cart.

You can ask my adoptive grandmother, my brother-in-law, my clients who have been in the restaurant business and it isn't all blue skies and green lights.
I bet you are the first person that has ever told him that!! :) While everything you say is most likely true, I suspect that EMT knows that already, as he seems to research the living stuff out of everything he is interested in. It appears to me that he is going in with eyes wide open. I think he will make it. He is a very determined dude!! :wavey:

Akita
05-27-2012, 11:02

Nice. But I think that'd raise an eyebrow or two, especially since I'm not allowed to operate after dark...

...yet another piece of red tape.

-Emt1581

Ok, then make it Thermal. Just as good in the daytime for spotting nogoods hiding planning you harm!

And you'll need a chihuahua if you make the stand Tactical. :supergrin:

Dexters
05-27-2012, 11:04

I agree with all you wrote.

I think EMT is going about it in the right way - minimal investment. If it doesn't work out, I'm guessing he can sell what he has and recover a good chunk of his money.

If he doesn't show up to sell hot dogs in his full S&P load out, he should do OK.

wjv
05-27-2012, 11:50
EMT what do you think your total investment so far has been?

emt1581
05-27-2012, 13:27
Well I got the cart home....

Holy hell what an adventure!!!

First off, this morning, I'm 20miles from home and the left wheel on the trailer's axle flies off and coasts along side my driver's window then bounces over my hood and lands 20' in front of me. I had to have the trailer towed. Turns out what happened is the lug nuts completely stripped and flew off. This is a 3-4week old Harbor Freight trailer mind you!! I figure I'll call up on Tuesday and expect a "Oh, yeah, we can't do anything about that". $85 for the tow.

Next I had to go to the seller's home, pay him, and have him haul it to my home. Extra $150 there.

Finally, it's home, in my garage and I've been measuring it as well as comparing it with the measurements of everything that needs to go on it.

I like versatility so I'd like to mount the sinks permanently but have the water heater/pump and fridge be removable.

As for knowing the work involved, I understand all aspects of it and have done it as a kid so I'm not a total newbie.

Total cost at this point including all the damage is just over $2000 including all the accessories, cart, license/permits, etc. Now with the tow (I'll be reimbursed) and the damaged trailer ($250) that bumped it up a bit more.

-Emt1581

Stevekozak
05-27-2012, 16:52
Well I got the cart home....

Holy hell what an adventure!!!

First off, this morning, I'm 20miles from home and the left wheel on the trailer's axle flies off and coasts along side my driver's window then bounces over my hood and lands 20' in front of me. I had to have the trailer towed. Turns out what happened is the lug nuts completely stripped and flew off. This is a 3-4week old Harbor Freight trailer mind you!! I figure I'll call up on Tuesday and expect a "Oh, yeah, we can't do anything about that". $85 for the tow.

Next I had to go to the seller's home, pay him, and have him haul it to my home. Extra $150 there.

Finally, it's home, in my garage and I've been measuring it as well as comparing it with the measurements of everything that needs to go on it.

I like versatility so I'd like to mount the sinks permanently but have the water heater/pump and fridge be removable.

As for knowing the work involved, I understand all aspects of it and have done it as a kid so I'm not a total newbie.

Total cost at this point including all the damage is just over $2000 including all the accessories, cart, license/permits, etc. Now with the tow (I'll be reimbursed) and the damaged trailer ($250) that bumped it up a bit more.

-Emt1581
You got to watch that Harbor Freight stuff. Some of it is fine, and some of it is pure junk.

quake
05-27-2012, 17:11
On the "cash business" thing and the temptations that engenders, I do understand but don't go that route personally. We bought a business just over three years ago, and although there's not a lot of cash transactions, there are some. We had the P&L's, balance sheets, bank statements, etc before buying it, but didn't get detailed bank deposit info until afterward. In the previous three years before we bought it, the sellers hadn't made one cash deposit. Checks & credit cards, but not cash one time in those three years. Seems like a dangerous position to be in if an audit ever did come, and not how we're doing things; I enjoy a good night's sleep too much for that. But all that said, they did in fact get away with it unless they get audited in the next few years I guess.

...easier to slowly/slightly raise prices than it is to get people to buy at already raised prices...
We've done that thing and our experience is as you say. When we bought the company in 2009, the monitoring-service price (it's an alarm company) was $20 a month, and had been that price, unchanged, since 1992. In 2010, we raised our price to $24 per month, which is still $1 less than any real competitor within a county or two. We did lose two or three customers over it, but the numbers don't lie. We pay $4 for the service, and that price increase increased profits on it by a full 25% (from $16 to $20 profit per account). When we bought the company there were ~350-400 monitoring accounts; I forget the actual number. Now at 565 accounts, that extra $4 per account per month means over $27K annually direct to bottom-line profit vs. not raising the price.

I was trepidatious about raising the price, but we're still about the cheapest game around and that bottom line increase is absolutely worth the loss of the two or three customers it cost us. Fact is, it would still be a net gain if it had cost us 80-90 customers; glad we did it.

My strong advice would be don't try to snow the IRS. Take all the deductions legally allowable, and not one more. Secondly, watch true expenses, even things you may want to dismiss. condiments, tires, electricity, napkins, whatever; every penny has to come from some percentage of every hot dog sold. Most new small businesses really hurt themselves with a tendency to blow off small-seeming expenses, and those can add up & hugely hurt profitability.

emt1581
05-27-2012, 17:35
You got to watch that Harbor Freight stuff. Some of it is fine, and some of it is pure junk.

Oh I have a bunch of their stuff...including another trailer....it's worked fine for years.

The one I just built....the lug nuts totally stripped the bolts on the hub in the same spot on all the bolts and caused the wheel to fly off.

I called up Harbor Freight and spoke to the manager. He goes "It's not my fault you didn't put it together right". I told him the bolt was clearly stripped..."bring it in and we'll see". I asked who was above him and he played the "I can't say" game.

First call on Tuesday is going to my insurance agent to get reimbursed for the tow. The second is going to HF corporate. If nothing else I'll be filing a complaint about that twerp. :steamed:

-Emt1581

RWBlue
05-30-2012, 08:55
A woman I know got a job from HR block this year as a tax preparer. She is a high school drop out and I consider her dumb as a bag of rocks. Last year she held up sandwich signs for HR block. She has lived on public assistance for her full life and these were her only two jobs. She was however able to go to the class the local agent had and then was set loose on the unknown public. Not exactly the person I would like to be doing my taxes.

I will give you the flip side. I knew an accountant for a large bank. She was laid off. H&R Block hired her.

H&R Block is no better or worse than any other accounting firm. You really don't know what you are getting and need to do your own research.

RWBlue
05-30-2012, 09:02
On the "cash business" thing and the temptations that engenders, I do understand but don't go that route personally. We bought a business just over three years ago, and although there's not a lot of cash transactions, there are some. We had the P&L's, balance sheets, bank statements, etc before buying it, but didn't get detailed bank deposit info until afterward. In the previous three years before we bought it, the sellers hadn't made one cash deposit. Checks & credit cards, but not cash one time in those three years. Seems like a dangerous position to be in if an audit ever did come, and not how we're doing things; I enjoy a good night's sleep too much for that. But all that said, they did in fact get away with it unless they get audited in the next few years I guess.

I have been on the IT side of audit. I have worked with the financial people. As I understand it, it is fairly cut and dry. If there is an invoice, there needs to be payment or explanation of payment.

Additionally, as I understand it, the IRS pays snitches very well, but expect to get audited yourself if you snitch.

RWBlue
05-30-2012, 09:07
EMT, for some reason I see you outside the police station the next time there is a disaster in your community selling hot dogs for $10 each plus condiments.

PM me if you would like the name and phone number of an accountant in PA. I have been using him for years and he is good and VERY honest. He will tell you how to pay the least amount on your taxes, but will keep you honest if you are thinking about doing something in the grey.

Akita
05-30-2012, 14:57
EMT, for some reason I see you outside the police station the next time there is a disaster in your community selling hot dogs for $10 each plus condiments.

PM me if you would like the name and phone number of an accountant in PA. I have been using him for years and he is good and VERY honest. He will tell you how to pay the least amount on your taxes, but will keep you honest if you are thinking about doing something in the grey.
Theres the correct answer.^^^^^

rhikdavis
05-30-2012, 15:32
The second is going to HF corporate. If nothing else I'll be filing a complaint about that twerp. :steamed:

-Emt1581

Better brush up on your Chinese...

Blackshirts
05-31-2012, 10:38
Fourth, other than needing to make a trip or two each year to buy the dogs

Mmm year old hot dogs. I have probably eaten many that were that old from gas stations, but if I actually knew I would not have bought them.

emt1581
06-03-2012, 18:58
An update-

As far as S&P skills....it's really a mixed pro/con situation. But you can't imagine the areas of plumbing, electrical, and hardware this gets you into!! I made three trips to Lowes today alone. See I have the cart functioning, but now I'm connecting the water heater/tubing/piping/fittings plus I'm mounting the sinks. If you can walk it through step by step in your mind you're good...if not, you're screwed. I actually plotted out all the connections on paper which helped a lot.

Now in a SHTF situation, will you have Lowes/HD? I wouldn't count on it. But again, learning the SKILLS certainly can't hurt.

Instead of keeping it to one day, I'm going to be plotting out a daily map/plan just in case something ever happens to my full time job. Preparing for that personal SHTF. Maybe I go to the next town over one day, 15-20 miles away the next, hometown the day after, etc.... the real PITA is finding a place for Sundays. I've already got a big farmer's market for Thurs, Fri, and Sat. if need be. Plus there is another farmer's market on Wed. (same one I'm starting at on Sat. now. That only leaves Mon/Tues. to find. But Sunday seems to be almost a forced day off.

We'll see what happens.

-Emt1581

RWBlue
06-03-2012, 19:47
An update-

As far as S&P skills....it's really a mixed pro/con situation. But you can't imagine the areas of plumbing, electrical, and hardware this gets you into!! I made three trips to Lowes today alone. See I have the cart functioning, but now I'm connecting the water heater/tubing/piping/fittings plus I'm mounting the sinks. If you can walk it through step by step in your mind you're good...if not, you're screwed. I actually plotted out all the connections on paper which helped a lot.

Now in a SHTF situation, will you have Lowes/HD? I wouldn't count on it. But again, learning the SKILLS certainly can't hurt.

But Sunday seems to be almost a forced day off.

-Emt1581

Sounds like you are learning from your job, like I learn from mine. There is nothing like learning project management skills. They translate very well for work then adventure travel, and then S&P, then......

As far as Sunday....does your city have a park with leagues of baseball, football, soccer.....? I rode my bike today. I rode past at least one park with a soccer game.

BTW, this thread makes me hungry for an Italian Sausage with red sauce, green pepper, hot pepper, and some onions. If you do this on your cart, spend the money to make the sauce mainly with Red and Green peppers, with a little onions. (Most vendors are using lots of onions because they are cheap.)

emt1581
06-03-2012, 20:05
Sounds like you are learning from your job, like I learn from mine. There is nothing like learning project management skills. They translate very well for work then adventure travel, and then S&P, then......

As far as Sunday....does your city have a park with leagues of baseball, football, soccer.....? I rode my bike today. I rode past at least one park with a soccer game.

BTW, this thread makes me hungry for an Italian Sausage with red sauce, green pepper, hot pepper, and some onions. If you do this on your cart, spend the money to make the sauce mainly with Red and Green peppers, with a little onions. (Most vendors are using lots of onions because they are cheap.)

The little league fields all have their own dog stands run by the kids' parents.

But a 4 day work week, so long as I'm making a bunch of cash, might be an added bonus.

At this point the Wed/Sat. "market" in the local mall's parking lot has got me psyched. The Thurs/Fri./Sat. "market" in the next town over, while they do a good business...I would only get business from those stopping inside the building rather than those driving by.

-Emt1581

TangoFoxtrot
06-04-2012, 04:22
emt1581, if you can't hold back the zombie hords with your rifle,
you can always throw the hotdogs at them as a deversionary tactic.

Akita
06-04-2012, 18:21
And still no time to take a pic and post it....................
:crying:

emt1581
06-04-2012, 18:37
And still no time to take a pic and post it....................
:crying:

Trust me, you don't want a pic at this point. She's covered in Lowes bags and randomly strewn parts.

-Emt1581

Stevekozak
06-12-2012, 16:35
Pics yet? :)

tower59
06-12-2012, 21:18
Listen...it all boils down to thermal imaging. You must have high end FLIR or similar setup, because otherwise, how will you know when the hot dogs are at the right temperature? I mean come on man, this is a health safety thing. Can't let the dogs get too cold, and the customers demand them nice and hot!

(1) Cart
(2) Dogs & mustard
(3) AN/PAS-13

DoctaGlockta
06-13-2012, 05:36
Trust me, you don't want a pic at this point. She's covered in Lowes bags and randomly strewn parts.

-Emt1581

I thought you bought a used one that had already been in operation.

17&27
06-13-2012, 14:22
Don't know how your state handles taxes on corporations, but in Texas what works for me is having my business set up as an s-corp. This allows me to own the property and building my shop is on and then rent it to my corporation. This is advantageous because rental income is not subject to the FICA taxes. This saves me from having to pay a combined 15.3% into social security that I never will recoup. Yes a good accountant is money well spent.

mac66
06-13-2012, 16:55
So I just get done reading this thread and walk outside. Down the street comes a pickup truck pulling...guess what? Yup a hot dog cart. Coincidence? I think not. It is sign from where ever telling me to get into the hot dog cart business...or maybe not:whistling:.

emt1581
06-13-2012, 19:29
Well it's been a bad week for me.

My capt. says she needs me to give more time at the station, we just found out we're going to have to put my son in child care because my MIL and his other care givers are now unavailable for various (medical) reasons, then tonight I took my bike out for a ride to blow some steam off only to find the rear tire was flat....and I got a message left for me saying that the ONLY place in town I had made a deal to operate and bought all my licenses and everything for...now does not wish to let me do business there even though I have several emails inviting me and I met all their pre-requisites. And since I've checked out pretty much every place from here to tim buck 2 and NO ONE else wants a hot dog vendor (again, I probably would have got a warmer welcome trying to open a crack house)....Just like that. Poof....dream's over.

So yeah, it's a Capt. kinda night. Cart will probably go up for sale in a few days.

I'm not done though. Before I die I WILL try this idea. Maybe not in a cart. I'll rent out a shop. But this ain't truly the end...

-Emt1581

mac66
06-13-2012, 20:07
That sucks. We were all kind of pulling for you. Kinda like telling people, "yeah, I knew him before he was the hot dog king"

I say, take a deep breath, sleep on it. Chill out for a couple days. Minor setback, things are bound to change again for the better.

Stevekozak
06-13-2012, 20:11
Definately pulling for you EMT! Dang, I had started wanting you to suceed in this almost as much as you!! Like Mac says, sleep on it. Don't let those Small Richard Sons of employed pleasure companions get you down!! You are too determined to do that.

dhv
06-13-2012, 20:24
DO you know why they pulled out?

Smoker
06-13-2012, 20:33
I just sold a mobile food service that I had for 14 years, you show your profit per dog here. Once you get it going show me what your $$/hour comes out to. That's one bitter pill to swallow..

emt1581
06-13-2012, 20:38
DO you know why they pulled out?

Nope, just a "hello...my name is....and I just wanted to let you know we are no longer interested at this time"....didn't even call me by the right name but I know from the way this place works, she's just the new hire they they hired to drop the bad news.

Plus I called every civil/business attorney in the area. No signed contract, no where to go with it....

Now if it was a murder case or some white collar case where millions/billions were on the line, I bet a bunch of emails wrapping a bow around the case would probably be quite welcome.....in my case....nope!

-Emt1581

Dexters
06-14-2012, 07:17
Plus I called every civil/business attorney in the area. No signed contract, no where to go with it....

-Emt1581

Emt,

Sorry to read all that. We were all pulling for you.

Don't let it get you down. Count your blessings a child and wife that puts up with your survival preps lifestyle.

RWBlue
06-14-2012, 13:46
This close to the 4th of July......I would get the cart up and running, figure out where people will gather to see fireworks and sell hot dogs for at least one night...the you can sell it saying you made x dollars in one night.

emt1581
06-22-2012, 21:50
Yet another page in this saga of bull crap!!!....

So I called up the place that I was previously setting things up with. I spoke to the young gal that said (like we were old buddies) that they were not interested and it wouldn't "work out". Turns out she's just a secretary and couldn't answer any of my questions as to what the hell was going on.

I got a call the next day from the head secretary. I told her I was confused as to why I was being told they could no longer give me a spot. I asked if the market was no longer taking place and was told it was. I then asked if the other vendors that were there over the weekend were going to be shut down as well...nope...still up and running. I then brought up that I had 3 months worth of documentation backing up the dialogue that took place between me and their previous employee (emails). She then told me that I need to contact the two guys in charge of setting everything up. I asked if they were just passing me off to yet someone else to jerk me around and was told that these guys were recently put in charge of setting up the vendors.

I left two messages for them but I'm guessing I won't hear anything until Wednesday when they are at the "market".

Things are looking up again folks! I hope to be up and running next weekend. We shall see!!

Just figured I'd update yall.

-Emt1581

Camu Mahubah
06-23-2012, 08:44
Well...I'm craving a hot dog right now! I so would fly out there and buy a wienie from you man!

shatteringstar
06-23-2012, 11:58
EMT, i have no intrest in hot dogs and even i am pulling for you (after reading this thread)

go get'em, never give up ur dreams.

mac66
06-23-2012, 20:20
Those people sound like a bunch of weinies.
Better try and ketchup to them soon and tell them they will relish your business.

emt1581
06-25-2012, 17:01
Yet another update...

I got great news today. The guy in charge of the vendors called me back and appologized for all the confusion and delays. He said they'd love to have me there and what's even better is they are willing to let me do Sat AND Sun!!

So now it's just a matter of buying a few last items/parts and finish connecting things....and I'll be out there!!

-Emt1581

rhikdavis
06-25-2012, 17:18
Free dog to anyone who mentions they saw you on Glocktalk!

Dexters
06-25-2012, 18:22
Yet another update...

I got great news today. The guy in charge of the vendors called me back and appologized for all the confusion and delays. He said they'd love to have me there and what's even better is they are willing to let me do Sat AND Sun!!

So now it's just a matter of buying a few last items/parts and finish connecting things....and I'll be out there!!

-Emt1581

Good Luckl EMT,

Remember you only have one chance to make a good first impression.

I'd suggest a few topless women and sandwich boards ...

emt1581
06-25-2012, 21:17
Good Luckl EMT,

Remember you only have one chance to make a good first impression.

I'd suggest a few topless women and sandwich boards ...

I actually do have to make a sign yet. If i didn't think it would turn into a complete circus I'd ask in GNG about places to look, how big the font should be, etc....

I'm thinking a plywood sammich board right at the curb will be how I go.

What's a symbol/logo that would indicate quality? That's my angle at this point. Everyone else sells junk/chicken and pork dogs....I've got pure beef baby! ;)

I was thinking something like "give QUALITY a try" or "you'll love the quality" or "try a quality hot dog".

Thoughts?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Stevekozak
06-26-2012, 06:05
I actually do have to make a sign yet. If i didn't think it would turn into a complete circus I'd ask in GNG about places to look, how big the font should be, etc....

I'm thinking a plywood sammich board right at the curb will be how I go.

What's a symbol/logo that would indicate quality? That's my angle at this point. Everyone else sells junk/chicken and pork dogs....I've got pure beef baby! ;)

I was thinking something like "give QUALITY a try" or "you'll love the quality" or "try a quality hot dog".

Thoughts?

Thanks

-Emt1581
That is great news on the stand! Don't over think it. You didn't invent or even make the hotdog, you are just cooking and selling it. In something like a hotdog, taste equals quality in the consumer's eyes (and mouth). I would focus on how durn delicious the hotdog is rather than talking about quality, as such.

Dexters
06-26-2012, 07:28
That is great news on the stand! Don't over think it. You didn't invent or even make the hotdog, you are just cooking and selling it. In something like a hotdog, taste equals quality in the consumer's eyes (and mouth). I would focus on how durn delicious the hotdog is rather than talking about quality, as such.

I agree - catch the passerby's attention and let them know what you sell - also establish your name.

Check out the Papaya King sign.

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Email/640/papaya-king

Stevekozak
07-07-2012, 15:35
EMT, GoshDurn it!! Where are the flipping pics!!! :):)

Cali-Glock
07-08-2012, 01:44
Specifically what restaurant supply stores are you utilizing? In my experience a few things do cost less at Grocery Wholesale stores than regular grocery stores, but with a few exceptions, in my experience the prices prices are comparable to Winco, Costco, Sams Club, Walmart SuperStore.

If there are some grocery wholesale stores which have even cheaper prices, I want to know what they are so I can take advantage of them!

bdcochran
07-08-2012, 09:58
1. HEBREW NATIONAL REDUCED FAT BEEF FRANKS

(Kosher, All Beef)

All hail our wiener winner! The company's slogan claims that Hebrew National answers to a higher authority, so they sure don't need our panel's validation, but we're more than happy to offer it. Despite being a trimmed-fat version of their regular frank, our tasters didn't note a single shortfall, rather, offering commentary like, 'Best flavor yet. More please!' 'Fabuloso!' 'Well-balanced,' 'Full dog flavor' and plain ol' 'Great!' It's quite simply, the leader of the pack.

Read more: http://www.kitchendaily.com/2011/06/13/best-hot-dogs-our-taste-test-results/#ixzz202zU9oFs:yawn::wavey:

Akita
07-08-2012, 11:53

(Kosher, All Beef)

All hail our wiener winner! The company's slogan claims that Hebrew National answers to a higher authority, so they sure don't need our panel's validation, but we're more than happy to offer it. Despite being a trimmed-fat version of their regular frank, our tasters didn't note a single shortfall, rather, offering commentary like, 'Best flavor yet. More please!' 'Fabuloso!' 'Well-balanced,' 'Full dog flavor' and plain ol' 'Great!' It's quite simply, the leader of the pack.

Read more: http://www.kitchendaily.com/2011/06/13/best-hot-dogs-our-taste-test-results/#ixzz202zU9oFs:yawn::wavey:Strongly disagree. Those things taste like a chemical factory.

Cavalry Doc
07-08-2012, 12:52
When it's not my home made sausage (feral hog and venison), I buy from these guys.

http://www.cuetopiatexas.com/images/logo.gif
http://www.cuetopiatexas.com/home.htm

eyesnorth
07-08-2012, 14:48
Where, EXACTLY, is this cart? I have a major road trip starting next weekend which will cover 2500 - 3000 miles; if you are within 50-100 miles of the planned course then I know where to stop for lunch. Or a late, hung over breakfast.

RED64CJ5
07-09-2012, 06:55
When it's not my home made sausage (feral hog and venison), I buy from these guys.

http://www.cuetopiatexas.com/images/logo.gif
http://www.cuetopiatexas.com/home.htm

While that is a GOOD one. I prefer Slovacek.

http://www.slovacek.com/

Did I miss the pics?

BR549
07-09-2012, 07:09

None will here be.

Akita
07-09-2012, 07:44
Internet Rule #2b: If there are no pics, it didnt happen.

(please dont be a mall ninja, emt)

Cavalry Doc
07-09-2012, 08:04
:popcorn:

G29Reload
07-09-2012, 12:44
This thread going off the rails in the Lounge was almost Bravia -like in legend. Could not have been much funnier.

Yeah, pics. :whistling:

RichJ
07-09-2012, 13:00
I didn't see the humor in the Lounge thread, but the world still wants to see the infamous EMT hot dog stand.

RED64CJ5
07-09-2012, 13:01
This thread going off the rails in the Lounge was almost Bravia -like in legend. Could not have been much funnier.

Yeah, pics. :whistling:

Yeah, I can't believe it got closed. I thought folks were genuinely trying to help out the situation.

Back to a more S&P focus.... If you are going to store all those excess dogs for the apocalypse, how many of the $50 Harbor Freight Solar panels would you need to run an adequate refrigeration system?

If you used a solar oven to de-hydrate the dogs, what method would you use to re-hydrate them so that they regained their original flavor?

Stevekozak
07-09-2012, 14:06
I don't visit the lounge. Tried it once. Not for me. No offense to anyone who does, but it seems like a junior high girls pajama party over there. So what is the deal, no pics are ever forthcoming? EMT promised pics in this thread and to keep this thread up to date. If I have to drive to Wisconsin to see the damn thing, I am going to be pissed, because I don't have that much gas in my truck!! :)

DoctaGlockta
07-09-2012, 14:09
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-HNgiKHzVfNc/TaPUtKxkSkI/AAAAAAAAAAU/Qb-5wqOsk_w/s1600/weinermobile03.jpg

BTW July 22 is National Hot Dog Day.

emt1581
07-15-2012, 19:11

I actually snapped a few...only one on my phone. If I can figure out how to post it from my desktop it'll be done.

-Emt1581

emt1581
07-15-2012, 19:13
Specifically what restaurant supply stores are you utilizing? In my experience a few things do cost less at Grocery Wholesale stores than regular grocery stores, but with a few exceptions, in my experience the prices prices are comparable to Winco, Costco, Sams Club, Walmart SuperStore.

If there are some grocery wholesale stores which have even cheaper prices, I want to know what they are so I can take advantage of them!

I'm utilizing...

The Restaurant Store
Restaurant Depot/Jetro
Foods Galore (distributor)

For the Restraunt Depot/Jetro all you have to do is show your business license/tax license (whatever your state calls it) and you get a free membership. Short of that, you can't buy a pack of gum there.

-Emt1581

emt1581
07-15-2012, 19:15

(Kosher, All Beef)

Read more: http://www.kitchendaily.com/2011/06/13/best-hot-dogs-our-taste-test-results/#ixzz202zU9oFs:yawn::wavey:

The Vienna Beef KILLED HN's in my taste tests...plus they are selling so well, I actually have to make another run to my distributor this week as I'm fresh out.

HN's are a good dog though.

-Emt1581

emt1581
07-15-2012, 19:17
Where, EXACTLY, is this cart? I have a major road trip starting next weekend which will cover 2500 - 3000 miles; if you are within 50-100 miles of the planned course then I know where to stop for lunch. Or a late, hung over breakfast.

If you are coming close to 18017/18018 let me know and I'll hook you up with the exact location. I'll only be out Saturdays right now and possibly Sat/Sun in the future.

-Emt1581

emt1581
07-15-2012, 19:18
Internet Rule #2b: If there are no pics, it didnt happen.

(please dont be a mall ninja, emt)

I do have pics and one ready to go...just need to figure out how to post it.

Not sure what you meant by mall ninja. Do you think I made up a business or something?

-Emt1581

emt1581
07-15-2012, 19:37
I don't visit the lounge. Tried it once. Not for me. No offense to anyone who does, but it seems like a junior high girls pajama party over there. So what is the deal, no pics are ever forthcoming? EMT promised pics in this thread and to keep this thread up to date. If I have to drive to Wisconsin to see the damn thing, I am going to be pissed, because I don't have that much gas in my truck!! :)

Haha!! No, I'm in PA... so no drive to cheese country!

As far as the lounge, that was ridiculous. Even a mod was acting like a jerk and breaking the rules. :upeyes:

Now as far as keeping the thread updated, here goes...

This thing is quite a success thus far. My first day was last Sunday and it was ok but nothing to get excited about. I only made just under $100.

However, yesterday (Sat.) was a real eye opener. As I was setting up I had people already waiting. People were buying meals like crazy, dogs 4 and 5 at a time, and I even had one family that pulled up in a mini-van...ordered 20 dogs including a few meals. They were nice, even waited 10 min so I could cook their dogs and make everything. A bunch of repeat customers as well...from only being there ONE DAY!!! I was only out for around 4hrs. because I actually ran out of dogs, rolls, and onions. Here's the interesting part...I made more in that 4 hours than I would make in an 8hr (salaried) day at work.

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but if business keeps increasing and the income is really this good, I'd like to open up my own shop. Yes there will be monthly costs, but if I buy a place zoned for business, I'd eventually own it free and clear instead of paying rent forever.

The experiment is just to see if quality sells, and so far, it is...

A few observations...

1) I did get hassled by two people. One didn't want me there because she sells crappy dogs on Wednesdays and was jealous of my success. The other later appologized.

2) People are loving my dogs! I've had a bunch claiming to be connoisseurs, who never heard of Vienna Beef. Once they try one in their car or right in front of me they usually order more but always rave about them.

3) I'm not sure if people around here don't know how a cart works or what, but it's a little odd to see how they act at times. What I mean is, some will park and walk over. Some will treat it like a drive through. Some will line up (standing). Others will sit in their car and wait for the current customer to leave. All I know is all of their money is green AND they love my dogs which is all I care about!!

4) I need some business education. I'm well educated on many things, but managing a business' finances is not one of them. I guess as long as I can replenish my supplies and make my quarterly sales tax payments I'll be good and kinda learn as I go.

But yeah, I don't want to jump the gun but thus far, it's a SUCCESS!!! :wavey:

-Emt1581

emt1581
07-15-2012, 21:10
http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p551/emt1581/Cart.jpg?t=1342408036

I'm doing my best to post a pic of it, let's see if this works...

EDIT: HOLY FREAKING HELL!!! I GOT IT ON THE FIRST TRY!!!

This is just a good news kinda week! :)

Now hopefully this will be enough to prove it exists and shut up all the naysayers.

-Emt1581

BR549
07-15-2012, 21:18

I GOT IT ON THE FIRST TRY!!!

Now hopefully this will be enough to prove it exists and shut up all the naysayers.

-Emt1581
:shocked:

:popcorn:

Warp
07-15-2012, 21:52
Hey, at least I don't see any barb wire in the background. That's a plus.

EMT: It appears that this is possibly the first time I am aware of that one of your seemingly very silly ideas has actually had some kid of action behind it.

Interesting. Nice change of pace.

BR549
07-16-2012, 06:46
Alright Stevie,

I'm going to give you some advice which might or might not work for you.

Cut 90% from your internet forum time. (I do not mean just GT; I mean all internet forums.) This will eliminate much entertainment for many, but you aren't being paid to entertain people on the internet.

Find someone wise to help you decide on an educational path to help you learn skills and/or knowledge so you can better yourself with a better occupation. If you do not know anyone already, make an appointment with a career couselor at a high school, the college of your choice, or even your local banker. Please get some real help with this.

If you do not choose something in the business field for your educational concentration, please also take entry level courses in the following at a minimum: Accounting Principles I and II, Finance, Economics, and Marketing.

Support your educational efforts with the hot dog cart. Then use your education to support your hot dog cart efforts. You may very well become wealthy with the cart, or you may continue to use the cart as a business on the side of your primary occupation.

I hope things go well for you.

:)

:thumbsup:

RED64CJ5
07-16-2012, 07:47

Probably not enough 'proof' but you get an A+ for effort.

I am absolutely amazed. Last night you had commented that you snapped a picture on your phone and would try to upload it. I've seen that line before...

I do wish you well. I hope you become the next mega millionaire or at minimum become our nation's next hot dog czar. Oh, and according to a speech Obama gave recently -- "you didn't do it on your own" -- some person/people along the way helped prop you up. Maybe you can credit the GT-SPF brain trust? :rofl:

RWBlue
07-16-2012, 08:49

-Emt1581

I am glad you are doing good with your business.
My first thoughts are I wouldn't be stopping. Appearances are everything at times.

I am also conserned with the way the trailer is loaded. I don't want to see you dump your business going down the road.

Can you take a shot from behind and the other side?
If this how you are setup to serve or is this just a travel setup?

PS>If you need someone to photoshop (blackout a license plate) something out of the picture, let me know. I will send you an email address.

DoctaGlockta
07-16-2012, 08:54
Well done Steve. Good luck in your venture.

Don't let the bastards get you down and watch out for the grammar police.

Akita
07-16-2012, 11:28
I do have pics and one ready to go...just need to figure out how to post it.

Not sure what you meant by mall ninja. Do you think I made up a business or something?

-Emt1581

Just teasing. I enjoy your posts.

eta: Thanks for the pic! Glad all is going well. Ignore the naysayers when you are working on your dreams.

emt1581
07-16-2012, 15:34
I am glad you are doing good with your business.
My first thoughts are I wouldn't be stopping. Appearances are everything at times.

I am also conserned with the way the trailer is loaded. I don't want to see you dump your business going down the road.

Can you take a shot from behind and the other side?
If this how you are setup to serve or is this just a travel setup?

PS>If you need someone to photoshop (blackout a license plate) something out of the picture, let me know. I will send you an email address.

As far as appearances, the serving side looks cleaner and is complete with a napkin holder, menu board, and some other stuff. And the sign and appearance to some degree is only temporary until the Vienna stuff gets here. Then after that I'll get a professionally made banner/sign with the name on it.

Thanks for the offer on the photoshopping but this photo will do for now.

-Emt1581

emt1581
07-16-2012, 15:36
Well done Steve. Good luck in your venture.

Don't let the bastards get you down and watch out for the grammar police.

Much appreciated. :wavey:

BTW, the business is named after my son. And he's the only one on his block to have such a thing!! But I'm sure a thank you isn't going to happen....well...at least not until he can talk...

EDIT: Lots of people have been calling me "Stevie" at the stand which isn't my name. But I just go with it because it's too much of a PITA to explain who "Stevie" is.

Thanks again!

-Emt1581

emt1581
07-16-2012, 15:40
Just teasing. I enjoy your posts.

eta: Thanks for the pic! Glad all is going well. Ignore the naysayers when you are working on your dreams.

Oh ok. Thanks!

-Emt1581

Batesmotel
07-16-2012, 15:47
Let us know when it passes inspection by the county health department. You will need to have a buisness license and a certification of compliance from the health department.

emt1581
07-16-2012, 15:58
Let us know when it passes inspection by the county health department. You will need to have a buisness license and a certification of compliance from the health department.

I already have all licenses needed (bureau of health, tax, and business). Was there a reason for that request?

-Emt1581

Batesmotel
07-16-2012, 16:04
You could have sent a better photo but I see things that could be violations here.

RED64CJ5
07-16-2012, 16:09
Around here they do not allow those without a hot water hand washing station along with a drain to a grease trap.

Batesmotel
07-16-2012, 16:20
Around here they do not allow those without a hot water hand washing station along with a drain to a grease trap.

Can't speak for his local codes but here:

The cart on a separate trailer is a safety violation
The wood and PVC would be health violations.
No seamless stainless steel surfaces.

I call BS on that cart having a county or city health certificate.

The dog and taco carts here must be aluminum or stainless steel and be able to have the entire thing steam cleaned.

Batesmotel
07-16-2012, 16:25
BTW in a 2 minute search I found used carts for sale as low as $400. They looked great.

emt1581
07-16-2012, 16:41
Can't speak for his local codes but here:

The cart on a separate trailer is a safety violation
The wood and PVC would be health violations.
No seamless stainless steel surfaces.

I call BS on that cart having a county or city health certificate.

The dog and taco carts here must be aluminum or stainless steel and be able to have the entire thing steam cleaned.

I don't think you are looking close enough. It IS aluminum and steel. The trailer is NOT the cart. It is just used to transport the cart.

I also have a 3 bay sink and a handwashing sink. Plus a hot water heater and a water pump to pressurize the line.

Call BS all you want. :dunno:

-Emt1581

Batesmotel
07-16-2012, 17:40
I still don't see a cart. I see junk on a trailer hidden by a home made sign. I debated sending this as a PM but screw it.

You ask advice and argue with everyone who gives it. You come off like a 13 year old kid playing on the internet. I am not convinced you are not just that.

I take entrepreneurship very seriously. You might be just screwing with our so the joke is on me. There are several people on this site who would love to help you succeed if you will let us. You have shown no desire to listen to a thing we have said. Many of us live the life of self employment. We love the rewards and accept the risks. One thing many of us have learned is to listen to others who might have more knowledge and experience than we do. You are biting the hand that feeds you.

You have a home made cart that is so heavy you can't easily move it alone and it looks like a junk pile. People won't eat off something that looks like that. I think you are sunk. If you had brought that to my strip mall to set up I would not have let you set up.

This is not harsh, this is just honest. I have given business plans to great people and had then TRASH them for me. I licked my wounds and made better plans. In the end I also made more money by listening, go figure.

My worst year I worked 6-7 days a week, 12-18 hours a day and made $147.00. My best year I made $360,000.00. I know what it is to struggle as an entrepreneur.

Some of us know a little about business. If you ask advice it would do you well to listen to the answers instead of trying to argue the point until someone agrees with you and validates your point.

Would I like to see you succeed? Yes.
Will it hurt me if you don't. No.

emt1581
07-16-2012, 18:00
I still don't see a cart. I see junk on a trailer hidden by a home made sign. I debated sending this as a PM but screw it.

You ask advice and argue with everyone who gives it. You come off like a 13 year old kid playing on the internet. I am not convinced you are not just that.

I take entrepreneurship very seriously. You might be just screwing with our so the joke is on me. There are several people on this site who would love to help you succeed if you will let us. You have shown no desire to listen to a thing we have said. Many of us live the life of self employment. We love the rewards and accept the risks. One thing many of us have learned is to listen to others who might have more knowledge and experience than we do. You are biting the hand that feeds you.

You have a home made cart that is so heavy you can't easily move it alone and it looks like a junk pile. People won't eat off something that looks like that. I think you are sunk. If you had brought that to my strip mall to set up I would not have let you set up.

This is not harsh, this is just honest. I have given business plans to great people and had then TRASH them for me. I licked my wounds and made better plans. In the end I also made more money by listening, go figure.

My worst year I worked 6-7 days a week, 12-18 hours a day and made $147.00. My best year I made $360,000.00. I know what it is to struggle as an entrepreneur.

Some of us know a little about business. If you ask advice it would do you well to listen to the answers instead of trying to argue the point until someone agrees with you and validates your point.

Would I like to see you succeed? Yes.
Will it hurt me if you don't. No.

It might not be this way where you are but here the city makes it prohibitively difficult to get approved. This is why my setup looks the way it does. They WANT it to require so much crap that people get scared off. I wasn't scared so easily. You say you have experience with starting businesses but I'd bet money you have no idea of the hoops one has to jump through in this area just to get as far as I did. It is also why I have ZERO competition and am doing as well as I am.

Am I going to leave it as is? No! But since I spent quite a while bringing it all up to code I wanted to get running rather than waste the season. And after one week I already had repeat customers. They seem to care more about the flavor and quality of what I'm selling than whether or not things are out of place/organized up front in the trailer.

As far as asking for advice and then arguing...that wasn't the purpose of this thread and I'm not sure it happened here. Kinda sounds like something I might hear in the Lounge though. Please don't turn this place into that place.

This thread is just something I started to talk about the S&P benefits of a hot dog cart...which is why I called it that.

If you don't like the way my cart looks, that's your prerogative I guess. But no need to turn this into a Lounge thread that ends up with a continual one-upping of each other and then the thread gets locked.

So either have a nice night or I guess it'd be your turn... :wavey:

-Emt1581

RED64CJ5
07-16-2012, 18:27
Now that I recall the 'hot dog cart' is sitting on your trailer to transport it, I have a better "picture" of what's in your picture. It didn't make sense to me at first. Then I recall the other thread with discussion about winching it up there, etc.

Might I make a suggestion? Take a look at the cargo trailers with a drop down ramp in the back. It would double as S&P item and securely (and cosmetically nicely) transport your cart anywhere.

emt1581
07-16-2012, 18:32
Now that I recall the 'hot dog cart' is sitting on your trailer to transport it, I have a better "picture" of what's in your picture. It didn't make sense to me at first. Then I recall the other thread with discussion about winching it up there, etc.

Might I make a suggestion? Take a look at the cargo trailers with a drop down ramp in the back. It would double as S&P item and securely (and cosmetically nicely) transport your cart anywhere.

Good suggestion, I actually thought the same thing...well...making one that way in the back. But again, I didn't get around to it yet. But yeah, that way I don't have to worry about the whole tongue/winch problem.

Thanks

-Emt1581

DoctaGlockta
07-16-2012, 18:38
Much appreciated. :wavey:

BTW, the business is named after my son. And he's the only one on his block to have such a thing!! But I'm sure a thank you isn't going to happen....well...at least not until he can talk...

EDIT: Lots of people have been calling me "Stevie" at the stand which isn't my name. But I just go with it because it's too much of a PITA to explain who "Stevie" is.

Thanks again!

-Emt1581

Ok put a picture up of your son Steve (good name
Btw I named one of my sons Steve) on the cart with his name underneath. Trust me it will be great for sales.

Dexters
07-16-2012, 18:42
Ok put a picture up of your son Steve (good name
Btw I named one of my sons Steve) on the cart with his name underneath. Trust me it will be great for sales.

Good idea!

Dexters
07-16-2012, 18:47

The big thing these days in larger cities are food buses.
http://foodtruckfiesta.com/bbq-bus-food-truck/

More expensive then a cart but, less expensive/risky then a brick store.

Stevekozak
07-16-2012, 19:02
Thanks for putting up a pic, EMT!! I have finally seen the cart! Man, I am glad you are doing well with it! I think it is awesome you did so well your first time out!. Don't let these freaking chowderheads in here rain on your parade. I don't know why they want to take a good thing and defecate all over it, but just ignore the sad sacks. You are doing what you want to do, and by golly, you seem to be enjoying doing it, and that is all that matters. And, as far as the forum in concerned, it is a dang good prep in several ways. I say good on ya, and keep up the good work!!

BR549
07-17-2012, 07:44
Haha!! No, I'm in PA... so no drive to cheese country!

As far as the lounge, that was ridiculous. Even a mod was acting like a jerk and breaking the rules. :upeyes:

Now as far as keeping the thread updated, here goes...

This thing is quite a success thus far. My first day was last Sunday and it was ok but nothing to get excited about. I only made just under $100.

However, yesterday (Sat.) was a real eye opener. As I was setting up I had people already waiting. People were buying meals like crazy, dogs 4 and 5 at a time, and I even had one family that pulled up in a mini-van...ordered 20 dogs including a few meals. They were nice, even waited 10 min so I could cook their dogs and make everything. A bunch of repeat customers as well...from only being there ONE DAY!!! I was only out for around 4hrs. because I actually ran out of dogs, rolls, and onions. Here's the interesting part...I made more in that 4 hours than I would make in an 8hr (salaried) day at work.

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but if business keeps increasing and the income is really this good, I'd like to open up my own shop. Yes there will be monthly costs, but if I buy a place zoned for business, I'd eventually own it free and clear instead of paying rent forever.

The experiment is just to see if quality sells, and so far, it is...

A few observations...

1) I did get hassled by two people. One didn't want me there because she sells crappy dogs on Wednesdays and was jealous of my success. The other later appologized.

2) People are loving my dogs! I've had a bunch claiming to be connoisseurs, who never heard of Vienna Beef. Once they try one in their car or right in front of me they usually order more but always rave about them.

3) I'm not sure if people around here don't know how a cart works or what, but it's a little odd to see how they act at times. What I mean is, some will park and walk over. Some will treat it like a drive through. Some will line up (standing). Others will sit in their car and wait for the current customer to leave. All I know is all of their money is green AND they love my dogs which is all I care about!!

4) I need some business education. I'm well educated on many things, but managing a business' finances is not one of them. I guess as long as I can replenish my supplies and make my quarterly sales tax payments I'll be good and kinda learn as I go.

But yeah, I don't want to jump the gun but thus far, it's a SUCCESS!!! :wavey:

-Emt1581

Are you saying you made just under $100 in sales?

What do you sell as "a meal"?

Where are the hot dogs? How do you cook them?

Where's the chili and other toppings that you put on them?

Where are the drinks...in the cooler on the ground to the right? What types of drinks do you sell?

Where are the condiments?

Why is the trailer not level? It is such an easy thing to do? How did you bring it to the location, and why did you unhook it?

Who owns that property? What type of property is it? Will you continue to use this location?

Where's the Draco and the Doppelduffel?

How do you dress for your days at the hot dog stand?

What did you go for during the ganza? Do you think you sent your email in time?

tadbart
07-17-2012, 07:54
I knew a guy that mangled his hand, and he went from pipe fittin' to a hot dog stand. They say last year he cleared fifty grand selling dogs round Kalamazoo.

Dexters
07-17-2012, 08:04
Are you saying you made just under $100 in sales?

What do you sell as "a meal"?

Where are the hot dogs? How do you cook them?

Where's the chili and other toppings that you put on them?

Where are the drinks...in the cooler on the ground to the right? What types of drinks do you sell?

Where are the condiments?

Why is the trailer not level? It is such an easy thing to do? How did you bring it to the location, and why did you unhook it?

Who owns that property? What type of property is it? Will you continue to use this location?

Where's the Draco and the Doppelduffel?

How do you dress for your days at the hot dog stand?

What did you go for during the ganza? Do you think you sent your email in time?

What is the objective of all these questions?

RED64CJ5
07-17-2012, 08:14
Very relevant video clip here.. Starting at 00:34.

http://youtu.be/gAYL5H46QnQ

Just be careful when you give away hot dogs. This might happen.

BR549
07-17-2012, 08:19

Why do you want to know?

BR549
07-17-2012, 08:35

What IS the objective of all these questions???

I'm curious...and interested...

I cannot tell everything about the stand from the photo's view.

He has asked questions in various spots related to various things such as weaponry at his hot dog cart. Now that he has had been selling hot dogs, I want to know how the weapon placement worked for him.

He is a very SP-minded guy. Maybe there is some great survival reason why the trailer is not still attached to whatever pulled it to that sales location. Maybe there is some great survival reason he didn't level it.

I'm hungry and I'd like to know what comes with "the meal".

Does he have to hop off the trailer to get a drink out of the cooler for a customer? That could have serious tactical
implications.

Does he keep his back to the street while serving customers or waiting for cutomers to show up? Maybe he should put mirrors on the stand so that he can have better tactical awareness of what's going on around him.

I'm really getting hungry and want to imagine what I'd put on a hot dog from his stand.

Why did he choose that location and what is it like? What makes it good?

He's asked about SP clothing in other threads so I figured I'd ask him how he dresses at the hot dog stand.

He's been posting questions on another forum, so I figured I'd ask how last night went for him in his quest for certain bladed SP weaponry.

Dexters
07-17-2012, 09:10

Excellent

Dexters
07-17-2012, 09:17
What IS the objective of all these questions???

I'm curious...and interested...

Thanks, I was wondering if you were in a similar business and might want to give EMT some advise, but you needed more info.

BR549
07-18-2012, 06:42
tagged

volsbear
07-21-2012, 09:48
WTF.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

certifiedfunds
07-21-2012, 19:21

-Emt1581

That certainly is interesting.

certifiedfunds
07-21-2012, 22:28

http://youtu.be/gAYL5H46QnQ

bdcochran
07-22-2012, 03:44
Stevie's NOT Stevies.

Stevekozak
07-22-2012, 09:18
Stevie's NOT Stevies.
Only if Stevie possesses the hotdogs. No one wishes they were an Oscar Mayer's weiner, but we all wish we were an Oscar Mayer weiner. :wavey:

volsbear
07-22-2012, 20:27
Tactical Turkey Franks??

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

TangoFoxtrot
07-23-2012, 03:39
This thread has become..:weirdthread::countingsheep::freak::deadhorse:

DoctaGlockta
07-23-2012, 07:43
This thread has become..:weirdthread::countingsheep::freak::deadhorse:

IMO it is the greatest S&P thread ever.

BR549
07-23-2012, 08:00

Better than the 'how can I take a tactical trip to pick up an engagement ring from a special jeweler in NY' ???

Better than the 'how to conceal a large fixed blade on a cruise/beach honeymoon' ???

At least he finally posted a picture.

RWBlue
07-23-2012, 09:30
since the thread turned weird..........

is it possible to make an air rifle that shoots hot dogs?

would it be better to use frozen dogs or non-frozen dogs?

BR549
07-23-2012, 11:46

Yah, like, I like load up my tactical wheelbarrow and sling my weenie-gun, and off I go to the BOL.

You are too funny. :rofl:

RWBlue
07-23-2012, 18:14

Yah, like, I like load up my tactical wheelbarrow and sling my weenie-gun, and off I go to the BOL.

You are too funny. :rofl:

It is the perfect gun for defending yourself......the prosecution will never be able to keep a straight face.

"As you can see Mr. X designed a special tactical fully automatic gun that shoot weenies" The jury would just laugh at them.

Heck you could probably do drive bys and just tell the authorities, "I am sorry, I didn't mean to kill those drug dealers, I was just trying to pass out some free hot dogs."

You don't even have to worry about leaving spent rounds around. The dogs, cats, rats.....will eat them.

You could even gun up to Italian sausages if you need to kill some Italian mobsters.

:supergrin:

true believer
07-23-2012, 19:37

OMG!!!
i just choked on my hot dog!!
:wavey::rofl::rofl:

Akita
07-24-2012, 19:33

What better way to do Urban Surveillance?

BR549
08-10-2012, 07:15
How's business?

TangoFoxtrot
08-11-2012, 06:48
:brickwall::chatter::faint::deadhorse:

This thread is getting old.

quake
08-11-2012, 07:10
It is the perfect gun for defending yourself......the prosecution will never be able to keep a straight face.

"As you can see Mr. X designed a special tactical fully automatic gun that shoot weenies" The jury would just laugh at them...
And when the expert witness get called in by the prosecutor & starts pontificating about the deadly nature of the weenie-gun, can't you just see it...

Discussions of the normal ballistic topics such as "penetration" and "expansion" would be entertaining indeed.

:cool:

DoctaGlockta
08-11-2012, 07:40
:brickwall::chatter::faint::deadhorse:

This thread is getting old.

I love this thread.

I was thinking about bringing it to life again the other day but someone else did it.