BOB (Bug-Out-Bike) Project [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : BOB (Bug-Out-Bike) Project

LongGun1
05-27-2012, 01:53
Bike as in motorcycle ;)

I have a ongoing project to turn the V-Strom into a BOB..(Bug-Out-Bike)

..either with or without the clip-on luggage! :supergrin:

One set of essentials inside the luggage..

..& smaller lightweight backups that duplicate the function of other 'essentials'..

..secured under the seat & side panels to stay with the bike... sans luggage.

Besides all the other gear acquired previously for the project...(tools, electrical/electronic spares, etc)

..in the last week bought for the bike luggage..

..an (200 gal capacity) Katadyn Base Camp Drip Filter...2 gallon waterbag with carry handle...(already have sealed glass vial of calcium hypochlorite/pool shock)

..3 ea 10 oz bags of Bob's Red Mill TVP...2 bowls of spicy ramen chicken noodles.. (already have MREs & accessory packs...parachute cord, etc)

..outdoor sleeping pad (to go with the lightweight GI sleeping bag already in the stuff sack)..

..copper bottomed stainless steel hiking cookset...4 person Coleman Camping Utensel Set..

Looking at a spare MSR Dragonfly Stove/fuel bottles & an spare ceramic element for the Katadyn Base Camp for the project soon

For the bike...(1,000 liter) LifeStraw http://www.vestergaard-frandsen.com/lifestraw .....

..6 Whirl-pak standup sealable water bags...Katadyn Micropur MP1 Tablets...

.. Bleuet (Esbit type) 2 Position Pocket Stove with 6 fuel cubes stored inside (+ 12 more)..

...ESBIT Titanium Folding Pocket Stove ...copper (Esbit-type) Ultralight Pocket Stove (+ 12 Solid Fuel tabs)...

..2 collapsible stainless steel cups...2 ea folding utensil sets..

..2 Datrex 3,600 calorie emergency rations...a 10 oz bag TVP...2 bowls of spicy ramen chicken noodles..GSI Outdoors Spice Missile..

(to go with items I have now...like hot cocoa mix, instant coffee, creme, sugar, salt, all spice, Tabasco, TP, etc)

..Gerber Basic Survival Kit....Adventure Medical Kits Trauma Pack w/ Quikclot...AMK 2-person Bivy Bag..

(small medical kit, butane lighter, Swedish fire steel knife & cubes, leatherman wave, deluxe pocket survival kit with "stren-in-a-straw & mag-in-a-straw"...already in bike)

Any other suggestions??

DustyJacket
05-27-2012, 05:09
trailer

Dexters
05-27-2012, 07:10
Any other suggestions??

Tarp - camo? - for shelter and to hide/protect bike while sleeping.

Bug spray

DustyJacket
05-27-2012, 07:49
Personally, I would go with a dual-sport to allow riding on unimproved roads ( i.e. dirt and gravel and crap) to avoid the main roads

Bushflyr
05-27-2012, 13:41
A reality check?

You've got so much redundant stuff on there you're going to need a trailer.

6 sets of utensils, really? A spoon and a couple sets of bamboo chopsticks are all you need and weigh nothing.

Multiple cook sets? A small fry pan and a 1L stainless mug are all I usually take camping. The stove and a bunch of other things fit in the mug. Collapsible ones will leak, they're tough to cook in, and don't save any space. I do, however, want to try one of the collapsible silicon cups. Those look pretty nifty.

Multiple stoves? Waste of space. One multifuel stove like the Whisperlite Internationale will run off of anything. Why carry extra fuel when you have 5 gallons in your tank? Maybe a beer can alcohol stove also since you can run it off of Everclear, a good multipurpose liquid. Fuel, antiseptic, beverage all in one.

And last, but MOST important, a plan. Where are you going? What are you going to do once you get there? Thinking you're going to just "bug out" and figure out where you're going once you're on the road isn't going to cut it.

Happypuppy
05-27-2012, 16:05
I added a couple extra fuel containers to the back of the panniers. Addition LED lighting on the forks to see the road and allows increased visibility. A comm system is nice too

Sent from my 300 baud modem

LongGun1
05-27-2012, 17:17
Personally, I would go with a dual-sport to allow riding on unimproved roads ( i.e. dirt and gravel and crap) to avoid the main roads

The V-Strom is a dual sport.

LongGun1
05-27-2012, 18:15
A reality check?

You've got so much redundant stuff on there you're going to need a trailer. .

Actually no... :upeyes:

..the bike has enough space for the resident gear..

..& the luggage & top case has enough space for the main gear..

..as well as clothes, rain gear, spare helmet, toiletries, etc

6 sets of utensils, really? A spoon and a couple sets of bamboo chopsticks are all you need and weigh nothing..

The Coleman set is fairly compact..

..and the rest even more so.

As far as chopsticks....umm no... :whistling:

..last thing I want to do after a long days ride is fight with my food! :rofl:

Multiple cook sets? A small fry pan and a 1L stainless mug are all I usually take camping. The stove and a bunch of other things fit in the mug. Collapsible ones will leak, they're tough to cook in, and don't save any space. I do, however, want to try one of the collapsible silicon cups. Those look pretty nifty..

Esbit stoves are very lightweight & compact..

(5.5 oz for the copper....4/10 oz for the Titanium)

..but they are slow cookers..

..and when cooking a meal I like everything to be ready at the same time...

Multiple stoves? Waste of space. One multifuel stove like the Whisperlite Internationale will run off of anything. Why carry extra fuel when you have 5 gallons in your tank? Maybe a beer can alcohol stove also since you can run it off of Everclear, a good multipurpose liquid. Fuel, antiseptic, beverage all in one..

Actually, I really like my (multi-fuel) MSR Dragonfly so much I would like a spare with the main bike gear. The unit I have now with my camping gear is nested in with my cooking set....likely will do the same with this setup

As far as extra fuel...last thing I want to do every time I want to cook a meal is drain or siphon fuel over a hot engine after a days ride...not smart! :shocked:

On the other hand..

The MSR fuel bottles do give me an emergency reserve just in case my normal fuel stops are closed..

..as well as allow me to assist with other bikes that have run short.

I have carried a full MSR bottle in my bike luggage for that purpose for a couple of years now.

I do keep a Simple Siphon & hose on the bike for emergencies also.

And last, but MOST important, a plan. Where are you going? What are you going to do once you get there? Thinking you're going to just "bug out" and figure out where you're going once you're on the road isn't going to cut it.

Really guy.....this is not my 1st rodeo! :wavey:

If I ever were to "Bug-Out"...and not going to my prepared properties..or properties of prepared family...or properties of prepared friends... :upeyes:

I have been exploring property in very remote areas of North Arkansas since the 1990's. I know of plenty of interesting property accessible with the bike that is not accessible with a 4wd truck & caves likely not used since Native Americans occupied them.

That being said...the items are more likely to be used for impromptu campout with friends, or if I ever get stranded for a time in a remote area for whatever reason (crash, badly damaged tire, etc) and GBH use..

..than a gotta-get-outta-town-right-now bugout!

But it is nice to have a 30 second snap-on & go capability...

Basically I am looking for constructive comment on items I may have overlooked.

LongGun1
05-27-2012, 18:17
trailer

I have considered one of the small tow-along campers..

..but it doesn't really fit my fairly brisk riding style.

But there are times that one would be really handy.

If I find an area I would like to ride extensively or explore..

..I tend to get a cheapie motel room..

..& drop the luggage there..

The bike is then more lightweight & narrower for the tight trails..

..and the twisties are much more fun sans luggage! :supergrin:

LongGun1
05-27-2012, 18:24
I added a couple extra fuel containers to the back of the panniers. Addition LED lighting on the forks to see the road and allows increased visibility. A comm system is nice too

Thanks!

I added LED turn signals (front & rear), twin LED spinners (tail lights) & really bright twin 90/100 watt HID-like bulbs (headlights) right after I bought the bike. Comm systems also for myself, passenger & spares for other riders in a group ride.

LongGun1
05-27-2012, 18:52
Tarp - camo? - for shelter and to hide/protect bike while sleeping.

Bug spray

Thanks!

I have a bike cover already in the luggage..

..& the mat is large enough to 'dual purpose'..

..as both a ground pad..

.. & lean-to or pup tent.

And I have some DEET bug gunk under the bike seat already.

Myke_Hart
05-27-2012, 21:05
If you havent purchased the stove yet I would research the Trangia alchohol stoves.
http://www.osograndeknives.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=18043

They use denatured alchohol and can boil 2 cups of water in 6 minutes. They are the smallest, cheapest, and tne most reliable stoves you can get and the fuel is everywhere.

Else I would recommend a multi-fuel stove that can use gasoline from your bike. Like a single burner coleman. These are larger and space can be a problem.

I do not recommend the butane/propane stoves because finding the small fuel bottles can be difficult and takes up massive room in your pack.

sebecman
05-28-2012, 07:56
As far as extra fuel...last thing I want to do every time I want to cook a meal is drain or siphon fuel over a hot engine after a days ride.

I have a vietnam issue mil - Coleman Tanker stove and LOVE IT.

As many others have already said, I would go with a gasoline burning stove. The fuel is everwhere and As to your worries of siphoning gas over a hot engine...

I would have a bladder or 1L bottle to store the gas in but if you have to siphon directly to your stove just do it in the morning or after the bike has cooled...

But really...gas needs a RED HOT manifold to ignite with out a spark and I doubt even you are going to get it red hot...

if you have been driving that hard cooking probably isn't high on the list of priorities anyway!

FireForged
05-28-2012, 16:03
If it were me, bug out on a bike would be "high speed' low drag". I would ditch more than half that stuff and work on a tier system to carry real essentials on me at all times with the bike acting as a mule to store re-stock.

note: We all have our idea of what bug out is or isnt... to me, its about leaving a danger zone where I can absolutely no longer remain and getting to a safer place asap. IMO, cook sets, gas stoves, pots, pans and the like are for camping or touring in a RV not bug out. Why not go light and use canteen-cup and cup stove (which isnt anything more than a platform for a steel cup which you can place tinder/coals underneath.) It all will fit in a canteen cover with a canteen and weighs basically nothing.

LongGun1
05-28-2012, 20:42
If it were me, bug out on a bike would be "high speed' low drag". I would ditch more than half that stuff and work on a tier system to carry real essentials on me at all times with the bike acting as a mule to store re-stock.

note: We all have our idea of what bug out is or isnt... to me, its about leaving a danger zone where I can absolutely no longer remain and getting to a safer place asap. IMO, cook sets, gas stoves, pots, pans and the like are for camping or touring in a RV not bug out. Why not go light and use canteen-cup and cup stove (which isnt anything more than a platform for a steel cup which you can place tinder/coals underneath.) It all will fit in a canteen cover with a canteen and weighs basically nothing.

The luggage with the majority of heavy gear can be either off or on the bike in seconds. Also the luggage has a low center of gravity...important on a bike.

With or without the luggage...I can cover distance fairly quickly..

2011JasperPeakFolageRideDownLittleDragonPartI.mp4 video by LG1 - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid6.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fy235%2FLG1%2F2011JasperPeak FolageRideDownLittleDragonPartI.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid6.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fy23 5%2FLG1%2F2011JasperPeakFolageRideDownLittleDragonPartI.mp4

..it just takes a higher level of skill & energy to do so with the luggage when maneuvering quickly.

The tires heat up more quickly when the bike is loaded out, but the tires (Michelin Pilot Road 3) I am using now are for "loaded touring" & well inside the load capacity..

..and getting ready to go with a set of the new Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trail ...specifically made for loaded Dual Sport/Adventure Touring use & V-rated (149 mph).

Also adding a TPMS (Amazon.com: Orange Electronic M202 Motorcycle TPMS Kit: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41kr-TD7g1L.@@AMEPARAM@@41kr-TD7g1L ) when I go to the Road 3 Trail that displays Temperature & Pressure for both tires..

The "human sustenance gear" I am currently toting or proposing is not really heavy..

..the tools & spare parts are.

As far as having the gear on me..

..I have worn a pack while traveling..

..but that both raises my center of gravity..

..and increases the chance of injury should I suddenly have to bail for any reason.

So...other than a Camelbak, PPE & personal weapons...I really do not like gear on my body when traveling.

For those reasons & others..I would like gear lower & on the bike or in the luggage.

Also...gear on me is advertising..

..not something I would want to in a bug-out.

But again...this project is multi-faceted (BOB, GBH & everyday use...including emergencies while out in remote rural areas)....with bug-out being dead last.

Bug-Out-Bike sounded better than Get-Bike-Home :rofl:

And keep in mind, I ride a lot.. from almost daily commuting to multi-state trips each month..

..basically looking for any items I may have missed for my project..

..not really looking to change my project near the finish line. :supergrin:

LongGun1
05-28-2012, 20:58
If you havent purchased the stove yet I would research the Trangia alchohol stoves.
http://www.osograndeknives.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=18043

They use denatured alchohol and can boil 2 cups of water in 6 minutes. They are the smallest, cheapest, and tne most reliable stoves you can get and the fuel is everywhere.

Else I would recommend a multi-fuel stove that can use gasoline from your bike. Like a single burner coleman. These are larger and space can be a problem.

I do not recommend the butane/propane stoves because finding the small fuel bottles can be difficult and takes up massive room in your pack.

I have looked at the alcohol stoves..

..but not really wanting to carry another liquid fuel besides gasoline.

Happypuppy
05-28-2012, 21:05
I am on my 2nd DL BTW, and to toughen it up I replaced the cast rear brake pedal with forged and went With the vstroma shifter that folds. I am using a Bigfoot kickstand base due to the extra wieght. The ssupension I went to 0.95 front forks with 10 wt oil. The rear is a elka shock with a stiffer spring as well. The ride under load is great. panniers are H&P. I went with impact plastics as they are tougher. I had a set of aluminum that when bent would not close, and the wieght saving as sweet. Look for tool tubes on eBay. They are great for tire repair kits, tools or whatever. I have 3 in place. Coming up are brake lines to SS and a better rectifier as they are a weak spot.

I am using 2 of the new LI-Ion batteries one to run the bike and another as an added power source at less than 3 pounds they are sweet. Ride-on in the tires is great.

To answer some why a bike? My humble thoughts. Maneuverable and can act as a great scout vehicle , handle bad roads and with a comm system can
" Lead the pack "

LongGun1
05-28-2012, 21:22
I am on my 2nd DL BTW, and to toughen it up I replaced the cast rear brake pedal with forged and went With the vstroma shifter that folds. I am using a Bigfoot kickstand base due to the extra wieght. The ssupension I went to 0.95 front forks with 10 wt oil. The rear is a elka shock with a stiffer spring as well. The ride under load is great. panniers are H&P. I went with impact plastics as they are tougher. I had a set of aluminum that when bent would not close, and the wieght saving as sweet. Look for tool tubes on eBay. They are great for tire repair kits, tools or whatever. I have 3 in place. Coming up are brake lines to SS and a better rectifier as they are a weak spot.

I am using 2 of the new LI-Ion batteries one to run the bike and another as an added power source at less than 3 pounds they are sweet. Ride-on in the tires is great.

To answer some why a bike? My humble thoughts. Maneuverable and can act as a great scout vehicle , handle bad roads and with a comm system can
" Lead the pack "

Great Post! :thumbsup:

DL650 or 1K?

BTW..I am running GIVI on the luggage & a deluxe Coocase for the topcase.

Also...I looked at tool tubes when I 1st bought the bike..

..they all seemed too big..

..but I might be able to squeeze in a few nanotubes. :supergrin:

Thanks again!

BR549
05-30-2012, 07:56
After reading this thread and viewing the video, I recommend some track time and multiple forms of weight reduction.

Another idea is to buy yourself a bike that is more capable offroad. I'm not knocking your bike; but riding an enduro, cross-country, or motocross bike will help you learn to handle that thing better on the "clean" trails where you'll use that bike.

LongGun1
05-30-2012, 08:36
After reading this thread and viewing the video, I recommend some track time and multiple forms of weight reduction.

Another idea is to buy yourself a bike that is more capable offroad. I'm not knocking your bike; but riding an enduro, cross-country, or motocross bike will help you learn to handle that thing better on the "clean" trails where you'll use that bike.

Ridden enduros & motocross when I was younger..

..but the majority of my riding now is commuting & multi-state highway..

..with trails & unpaved roads once I am in the mountains.

Though big & heavy, his bike is a good fit for that purpose.

As far as the video, I like riding fast & having fun..

..but I keep in mind I am on a big, heavy, dual sport bike riding alone with spotty cell service. The little 19 mile rural road I was riding claimed the lives of 4 riders in a years time..

..many more air-lifted to a hospital with serious injuries.

I don't do the apex dives, 2 wheel drift out of corners & the like anymore..

..as I do not really want to be on a 1st name basis as a patient of an orthopedic surgeon ever again! :whistling:

BR549
05-30-2012, 08:54
Ridden enduros & motocross when I was younger..

..but the majority of my riding now is commuting & multi-state highway..

..with trails & unpaved roads once I am in the mountains.

Though big & heavy, his bike is a good fit for that purpose.

As far as the video, I like riding fast & having fun..

..but I keep in mind I am on a big, heavy, dual sport bike riding alone with spotty cell service. The little 19 mile rural road I was riding claimed the lives of 4 riders in a years time..

..many more air-lifted to a hospital with serious injuries.

I don't do the apex dives, 2 wheel drift out of corners & the like anymore..

..as I do not really want to be on a 1st name basis as a patient of an orthopedic surgeon ever again! :whistling:

That's why I said "track time"... :upeyes:

You practice firearms at a "range"...

Sometimes you could practice and learn at a track...

Why not carry a PLB? :dunno:

Just a recommendation... :whistling:

LongGun1
05-30-2012, 10:10
That's why I said "track time"... :upeyes:

You practice firearms at a "range"...

Sometimes you could practice and learn at a track...

Why not carry a PLB? :dunno:

Just a recommendation... :whistling:

I like to be self reliant...I would rather do what it takes to fix the bike & not take risks so excessive that I need to push a button on a PLB just so others have to disrupt their lives to bail me out. :whistling:

I may get a PLB one day...but it is down on the list aways.
The new set of Michelin Road 3 Trail & remote TPMS are a couple weeks away and a Mesh Kevlar Riding Suit & a Garmin Zūmo 665 GPS with Weather Radar is planned sometime after that.

As far as track time...do not see an pressing need...

..I can push the bike as much as I feel prudent & safe on the twisties in North Arkansas..

..& I get more than enough "practice" doing that each month! :supergrin:

Dexters
05-30-2012, 11:56
I may get a PLB one day...but it is down on the list aways.

Move it up on the list and get one - I don't go into the back country without it.

http://www.fastfindplb.com/us/

Happypuppy
05-30-2012, 12:48
Great Post! :thumbsup:

DL650 or 1K?

Thanks again!

I had a 2006 1000 and then picked up a really low milage and usage 650 that's now my project bike. These things are incredibly reliable. I just added a new custom seat with a flat pillion area for a seat bag. I am using a Garmin 500 gps and I have a SPOT. I am dumping the SPOT the annual fees are too much. Just using my smartphone for tracking and such. I even found a NOAA and NWS alert app. I went with a one piece suit as well. The PNW gets cold in a hurry and it's easier to pull the liner when it's warm

BR549
05-30-2012, 13:51
Oh my, I must apologize. After reading the OP and the other long post with video :yawn:, I did not realize who the OP was....

.....(I thought it was the new street vendor.).... :tongueout:

:dunno: ............................................

What's your total street weight on that thing anyway?.....

Around _______?.....

.......or more......:dunno:

Have you considered making other "changes" to the lighting for stealth purposes?....

All of my street and offroad vehicles have received the "stealth" treatment other than my latest two 2012s purchased in late April.....

I carry PLBs in case of severe trauma to myself or someone else I come across in my adventures.....

....not for twisted ankles and being lost....:wavey:

LongGun1
05-30-2012, 14:15
Oh my, I must apologize

Bike weight....520 wet......me 295 ....& everything else...maybe another 150 or so.

Yes, added a 3-way light switch for stealth & to reduce electrical load if needed.

And after carefully considering Dexter's post ..

..this is on the way...

http://www.rei.com/product/791972/mcmurdo-fast-find-210-personal-locator-beacon-with-gps

And don't worry about apologizing...

..as I found out long ago people will say things hiding behind a keyboard..

.. they (if wise) would never say in person! ;)

Now if anyone has anything constructive to add..

..maybe we can get this thread back on track! :)

BR549
05-30-2012, 14:51
Bike weight....520 wet......me 295 ....& everything else...maybe another 150 or so.

Yes, added a 3-way light switch for stealth & to reduce electrical load if needed.

And after carefully considering Dexter's post ..

..this is on the way...

http://www.rei.com/product/791972/mcmurdo-fast-find-210-personal-locator-beacon-with-gps

And don't worry about apologizing...

..as I found out long ago people will say things hiding behind a keyboard..

.. they (if wise) would never say in person! ;)

Now if anyone has anything constructive to add..

..maybe we can get this thread back on track! :)

.....Apology was tongue in cheek...

..as in sarcasm....

I don't worry...:whistling:

....and your insinuation of threat from behind a keyboard.....

....oh well.....

....you said it yourself............:upeyes:

.,.,. With 965# .... :faint:

....well, I guess I can understand the necessity of the remote TPMS...

...you won't need to consider the speed rating on the tires...

.you should however consider the load rating carefully.....

...glad you made the wise decision on the PLB. . . :thumbsup:

.,.,., Interesting that you went with only a 3-way switch ...

...considering your experience with robotics/electronics/etc......

..However, I added a series of dash-mounted switches for various lighting and other functions....

...along with an additional toggle switch..
...which can be operated while hand remains on the grip...

..so that I do not "accidentally" go "stealth" flicking the stock high/low....

.,.,.--- I thought you didn't see the need for getting on track .............

LongGun1
05-30-2012, 22:16
.....Apology was tongue in cheek...

..as in sarcasm....

Yes...I knew it was sarcasm..

..and thought you would recognize sarcasm right back at you! :upeyes:

And yea...I can tell your emulation of my writing style is sarcastic also!

Real easy to Google the load rating of a set of Michelin Road 3 Trail for the V..

..here let me do it for you...1265 lbs...so I am about 300 lbs under the load rating...no problem there.

Really do not get your barb about a three-way marine grade rocker switch..

..certainly not as a reference to my career field..

..it is simply clean engineering on the surface. :wavey:

4 Marine Grade DPDT 45 amp relays to go with the lighting setup out of sight underneath the console connected with silver plated 30 amp Anderson Powerpoles, etc.

Now...If you want to gomer out your bike console with a bunch of toggle switches to convince everyone around you are totally in control..

..well...feel free! :rofl:

Hey, I nerded out my bike with a USB Hub, Mi-Fi Mobile Hotspot & Eye-Fi Wireless SD Card for one of the bike cams...

..lots of other goodies as well..

..stealthy & unseen to the casual observer of course! :cool:

And no threats....just an observation of the activities of weak and/or disturbed personalities on the anonymity of the Internet. The Gunkids & wannabes. Always the cheap shots out of the blue...always tugging on the coat tail...always a waste of time that could be put to more productive use! Not the 1st time for you either. Since I really do not need another Personal Troll....simply do not post on my threads..

..& I will do likewise on yours!

Anyone else willing contribute in a civil discourse..

..anything that may be of use for my intended purpose..

..please feel free!

Stevekozak
05-31-2012, 05:29
The luggage with the majority of heavy gear can be either off or on the bike in seconds. Also the luggage has a low center of gravity...important on a bike.

With or without the luggage...I can cover distance fairly quickly..

2011JasperPeakFolageRideDownLittleDragonPartI.mp4 video by LG1 - Photobucket (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/LG1/?action=view&current=2011JasperPeakFolageRideDownLittleDragonPartI.mp4)

..it just takes a higher level of skill & energy to do so with the luggage when maneuvering quickly.

The tires heat up more quickly when the bike is loaded out, but the tires (Michelin Pilot Road 3) I am using now are for "loaded touring" & well inside the load capacity..

..and getting ready to go with a set of the new Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trail ...specifically made for loaded Dual Sport/Adventure Touring use & V-rated (149 mph).

Also adding a TPMS (Amazon.com: Orange Electronic M202 Motorcycle TPMS Kit: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WMB830/ref=s9_simh_gw_p263_d4_g263_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=0C3ZPNXA1VKYT5280SCQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939291&pf_rd_i=507846) ) when I go to the Road 3 Trail that displays Temperature & Pressure for both tires..

The "human sustenance gear" I am currently toting or proposing is not really heavy..

..the tools & spare parts are.

As far as having the gear on me..

..I have worn a pack while traveling..

..but that both raises my center of gravity..

..and increases the chance of injury should I suddenly have to bail for any reason.

So...other than a Camelbak, PPE & personal weapons...I really do not like gear on my body when traveling.

For those reasons & others..I would like gear lower & on the bike or in the luggage.

Also...gear on me is advertising..

..not something I would want to in a bug-out.

But again...this project is multi-faceted (BOB, GBH & everyday use...including emergencies while out in remote rural areas)....with bug-out being dead last.

Bug-Out-Bike sounded better than Get-Bike-Home :rofl:

And keep in mind, I ride a lot.. from almost daily commuting to multi-state trips each month..

..basically looking for any items I may have missed for my project..

..not really looking to change my project near the finish line. :supergrin:
Is that Pig Trail?

BR549
05-31-2012, 07:51
Yes...I knew it was sarcasm..

..and thought you would recognize sarcasm right back at you! :upeyes:

And yea...I can tell your emulation of my writing style is sarcastic also!

Real easy to Google the load rating of a set of Michelin Road 3 Trail for the V..

..here let me do it for you...1265 lbs...so I am about 300 lbs under the load rating...no problem there.

Really do not get your barb about a three-way marine grade rocker switch..

..certainly not as a reference to my career field..

..it is simply clean engineering on the surface. :wavey:

4 Marine Grade DPDT 45 amp relays to go with the lighting setup out of sight underneath the console connected with silver plated 30 amp Anderson Powerpoles, etc.

Now...If you want to gomer out your bike console with a bunch of toggle switches to convince everyone around you are totally in control..

..well...feel free! :rofl:

Hey, I nerded out my bike with a USB Hub, Mi-Fi Mobile Hotspot & Eye-Fi Wireless SD Card for one of the bike cams...

..lots of other goodies as well..

..stealthy & unseen to the casual observer of course! :cool:

And no threats....just an observation of the activities of weak and/or disturbed personalities on the anonymity of the Internet. The Gunkids & wannabes. Always the cheap shots out of the blue...always tugging on the coat tail...always a waste of time that could be put to more productive use! Not the 1st time for you either. Since I really do not need another Personal Troll....simply do not post on my threads..

..& I will do likewise on yours!

Anyone else willing contribute in a civil discourse..

..anything that may be of use for my intended purpose..

..please feel free!

I just figured you would have thought about adding more functionality...and not just for lighting...

With all of the redundant backup redundancies... :cool:...have you considered a backup battery?###or separating your auxiliary electronics from your necessary go-bike-go electronics??...

Get over the "victim" complex. There are plenty of discrepencies here and multiple things that any ordinary.. non-biker.. preparedness could offer truly helpful ideas. Non-"prepper" motorcyclists can also provide ideas.
Furthermore, you won't need to worry about anyone tugging on your coattail with your BOB(ike). Everyone will be passing you...:tongueout:

---------------------------------------------------------------

.....................>>>>

LongGun1
05-31-2012, 08:10
Is that Pig Trail?

No....Hwy 123 south of Mt Judea....aka "The Little Dragon"! :supergrin:

BR549
05-31-2012, 08:25
:faint: Good grief.......:faint:

How many "little dragons" are there?

I've ridden little dragon in Mariposa, CA.....

SR232 in Tennessee...

the mini dragon in AL....

tail of the dragon TN/NC state line...

So many dragons..................so little time...........

LongGun1
05-31-2012, 08:26
I just figured you would have thought about adding more functionality...and not just for light

Again...you assume incorrectly... :whistling:

Backup Gel Battery in compact Jump Charger in luggage, auxiliary fuse box with switched & non-switched accessory disconnect under seat, upgraded to MOSFET Regulator, Anderson Connectors are QD, spare Stator/ECU/ Regulator-Rectifier/etc..etc..in luggage......electrical & electronics well covered...no discrepancies here :upeyes:

..and I tend to do most of the passing...

..but if anyone wants to pass..

..I will be happy to wave them by! :wavey:

BR549
05-31-2012, 09:11
Where did you buy your "Camelbak Base Camp Drip Filter"?

:teddy:

How well do you fit in the "lightweight GI sleeping bag" at 295lb?

I suggest using better "noodles" than ramen.

I personally tailor my menu for each trip. Maybe I can understand a few MREs, but why so much cooking stuff for ramen, tvp, and MREs?

BR549
06-01-2012, 11:52
I realize that since several might have different ideas about what to carry on a motorcycle for a trip, or as a BOBike, or as it changed to a GHBike...

I am still interested....in this thread.....

I can understand reasoning behind things...

But until this thread I never would have considered putting 150lbs of get home gear on one of my motorcycles.....unless it was another person.........

I never would have considered the V-Strom a dual purpose bike...based on "my" definition of dual-purpose......but then again....I have taken RRs on unimproved roads, roads which needed serious improvement, gravel roads, dirt trails, grass fields, logging roads, etc.......I have both ends of the spectrum covered very well with multiples at each end.....as well as two bikes similar to the OP, as well as dune buggies, and fourwheelers.............

What I'm getting at is this....

How much street speed and agility is needed to get home or bug out?
How much should you be able to carry to get home or bug out?
How much offroad ability would you deem necessary to get home or bug out?

Bushflyr
06-01-2012, 15:42
How much street speed and agility is needed to get home or bug out?

Very little. I'd go with a DS simply for comfort and the ability to hop curbs and drive up stairs with impunity.

How much should you be able to carry to get home or bug out?

Get home: Next to nothing. Bug Out: Still not much, you should already have stuff stashed where you're going.

How much offroad ability would you deem necessary to get home or bug out?

Get home: Just enough to ride safely in the median or on dirt shoulders and jump curbs. Bug Out: Depends on where you're going. I would argue that even the remotest bug out location should still be Jeep accessible. You'll need to get some heavy stuff in for it to be livable long term and you may need to take an injured family member in. Difficult if the only access is single track.

And just because I came across these pics and found them hilarious. :rofl:

http://adventuresidecar.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Misc-sidecar/IMG9430/834075013_L6cLA-X2.jpg

http://adventuresidecar.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Misc-sidecar/IMG9435/834080148_XypWQ-X2.jpg

http://adventuresidecar.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Misc-sidecar/IMG9438/834083700_v68md-XL.jpg

dissthis
06-01-2012, 18:20
LG that's a lot to carry on a bike!

This is my project bike...still a novice rider so no bugging out on it for me...
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q270/curtdiss/78ae415d.jpg

LongGun1
06-01-2012, 21:12
LG that's a lot to carry on a bike!

Maybe that is a lot to carry on your bike..

..but I am riding the mighty V! :whistling:

Hey...I am a lot to carry on a bike..

..but I figure I am worth it! :tongueout:

Again... :upeyes:

.. the bike, me & the items (tools & spare parts) I have been toting multi-state (from Interstates to backwoods trails) for several years is the overwhelming majority of the total weight ..

..the other items mentioned in this thread may be 10 lbs or so..

..maybe 20 lbs by the time I am done.

So...An extra 1/100 or 1/50th of the current total weight..

.. is a N-O-N - I-S-S-U-E! :upeyes:

So...don't feed the trolls by buying into their line of BS..

..lesser mortals with little bikes limited by what their skills & steeds will allow are not my area of concern..

..putting the finishing touches on my well-proven setup is! :supergrin:

In essence....what they cannot do...

.. does not restrict what I can! ;)

Considering a trip to Alaska with little to no changes in configuration..

DustyJacket
06-02-2012, 05:20
This is my vacation set-up and not a SHTF set-up.

But, I can live off this for weeks. Just add fuel (bike) and water(cooking) every now and then.

http://www.dustyjacket.com/bmwtotr/day11-1.jpg

I have been on gravel and other really poor "roads" although it is not an off-road bike. I would prefer a GS (like the one on the photo) or even better, a trailer or sidecar rig.

This is what it looks like off the bike:

http://www.dustyjacket.com/bmwtotr/day3-2.jpg

LongGun1
06-02-2012, 06:32
This is my vacation set-up and not a SHTF set-up.

But, I can live off this for weeks. Just add fuel (bike) and water(cooking) every now and then.

Nice setup! :thumbsup:

BR549
06-05-2012, 08:33
Also the luggage has a low center of gravity...important on a bike.

…but a 6’7”, 300lb rider, has a very high center of gravity on the bike….

…especially when the weight of that person’s body is disproportionally
top-heavy…

Maybe that is a lot to carry on your bike..

..but I am riding the mighty V! :whistling:

This would be too easy to knock out of the park……….

………..but out of respect to one’s individual opinion, style, and perspective……….

I’ll leave that one alone………..

Hey...I am a lot to carry on a bike..

..but I figure I am worth it! :tongueout:

Again... :upeyes:

.. the bike, me & the items (tools & spare parts) I have been toting multi-state (from Interstates to backwoods trails) for several years is the overwhelming majority of the total weight ..

..the other items mentioned in this thread may be 10 lbs or so..

..maybe 20 lbs by the time I am done.

So...An extra 1/100 or 1/50th of the current total weight..

.. is a N-O-N - I-S-S-U-E! :upeyes:

I just don’t see the need for three stoves and multiple sets of pots and

pans for a GHBike or camping bike……

as you have referred to it previously…………

.but if you want them

……….YOYO…

So...don't feed the trolls by buying into their line of BS..

..lesser mortals with little bikes limited by what their skills & steeds will allow are not my area of concern..

..putting the finishing touches on my well-proven setup is! :supergrin:

In essence....what they cannot do...

.. does not restrict what I can! ;)

From the video, I didn’t see much skill….
….the V-Strom might be able to carry lots of stuff

…maybe comfortably…

..but the speed and maneuverability…

-.-.-are no comparison to what I just rode across three states over the

weekend to check on my condos…

…and my latest BMWs are plenty comfortable…

..extremely fast…extremely maneuverable…

..and carried everything I needed and more on my “bug-out” and to “get-home”

….even if I don’t weigh 300lbs…

.and carry another 150lbs…

.plus an extra 10 to 20 lbs……

………

….meaning I did not need any of the tools/parts I had with me….

………….I didn’t need to “campout” although I had everything necessary to do so………..

………I didn’t need to use any of the clothes I packed with me………

……I didn’t need to defend myself from zombies, etc……………….

-meaning that I can do anything with this new bike or the others in my garage…

.that you can do with yours…….

...I would say “better”….

....But that’s a……..

....... matter of opinion…….

………style………..

………and perspective………

Considering a trip to Alaska with little to no changes in configuration..

I hope you have fun on your trip. When did Camelbak begin producing the Base Camp drip filter??????

alexanderg23
06-05-2012, 13:42
like the bike idea, like the N AR!

jeremy_283
06-05-2012, 14:38
Nothing beats the KLR650 in this field. :tongueout: Sorry :wavey:

Happypuppy
06-05-2012, 15:20

KLR is a great bike. I like the tall front tire with all the pot holes it's sweet

LongGun1
06-05-2012, 16:46
like the bike idea, like the N AR!

+1 on both! :supergrin:

LongGun1
06-05-2012, 17:05

Well, it all depends what you are doing with it.

The KLR is a great bike...if you are doing most of your riding off road, willing to have more off road agility but less power & you are not toting lots of gear....IMO

But most of my riding is on road (commuting, multi-state trips, etc)..

..with a much smaller percentage of my total miles in gravel or trails.

Also (as been pointed out repeatedly :upeyes:), I am a big guy with lots of gear & I like a big powerful bike.

For example....the V-Strom has over 2 & 1/2 times the horsepower of the KLR..

..& over twice the torque..

..but is only about 100 lbs more wet.

Even when I am fully loaded....the power is always there for a quick pass on the highway or interstate..

...& loads of torque from the time you drop the clutch.

Neither has been the case of the KLRs I have ridden.

That being said...

..if I were spending most of my time off road or on poorly maintained roads..

..the KLR would be a better choice than the "V"....IMO

But with the suspension travel, high mounted intake & exhaust of the "V"...

..riding like this is possible...

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=43653

MatGlock
06-05-2012, 18:54
I agree with others, 150# or so is a lot of weight on a bike. I'm not sure what I carried on my last cross country trip...maybe 75# on a Triumph tiger. Be careful with the load ratings...they are based on the motorcycle's gross vehicle rating....not the tires. I am always wishing that I am carrying less...not more, especially when I am loading and unloading the bike.

Make sure you carry a tire plug kit and some means of tire inflation. I seem to pick up a nail about every 25k.

Also not sure what kind of luggage you are using, but there is no substitute for lockable, hard luggage. Givi stuff is well buil.

LongGun1
06-05-2012, 21:29
I agree with others, 150# or so is a lot of weight on a bike. I'm not sure what I carried on my last cross country trip...maybe 75# on a Triumph tiger. Be careful with the load ratings...they are based on the motorcycle's gross vehicle rating....not the tires. I am always wishing that I am carrying less...not more, especially when I am loading and unloading the bike.

Yep....I am right at GVWR...

..but tire ratings/temperatures/pressures concern me the most.

Especially when fully loaded on mid-summer scorching roads riding the twisties in the mountains. Even though I have color coded pressure indicators on the valve stems & regularly check tire temps....the new TPMS will allow remote monitoring of both pressure & temperature on the fly... piece of mind & the ability to address potential tire issues before structural damage is incurred.

Basically...If the tires are "happy" then so am I! :supergrin:

BTW...Loading my bike is easy....both luggage & top case snap on in seconds.

If the going gets really rough for a bit....I can unsnap....ride over the really challenging ground...then walk back for the gear..

Make sure you carry a tire plug kit and some means of tire inflation. I seem to pick up a nail about every 25k.

I tote a couple of good plug kits & lots of CO2 cartridges for the tire inflators. Only had to use them once on this bike....sliced the rear on a really sharp rock. Yet another reason I am glad I have the tools & spares I carry.

Also not sure what kind of luggage you are using, but there is no substitute for lockable, hard luggage. Givi stuff is well buil.

Givi for the luggage.....Coocase Astra Deluxe for the topcase.....both have performed well.

jeremy_283
06-05-2012, 22:24
Well, it all depends what you are doing with it.

The KLR is a great bike...if you are doing most of your riding off road, willing to have more off road agility but less power & you are not toting lots of gear....IMO

But most of my riding is on road (commuting, multi-state trips, etc)..

..with a much smaller percentage of my total miles in gravel or trails.

Also (as been pointed out repeatedly :upeyes:), I am a big guy with lots of gear & I like a big powerful bike.

For example....the V-Strom has over 2 & 1/2 times the horsepower of the KLR..

..& over twice the torque..

..but is only about 100 lbs more wet.

Even when I am fully loaded....the power is always there for a quick pass on the highway or interstate..

...& loads of torque from the time you drop the clutch.

Neither has been the case of the KLRs I have ridden.

That being said...

..if I were spending most of my time off road or on poorly maintained roads..

..the KLR would be a better choice than the "V"....IMO

But with the suspension travel, high mounted intake & exhaust of the "V"...

..riding like this is possible...

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=43653

And you're planning on staying on paved roads only with a bug out bike? Might as well drive a car or the others that choose cars will hit you and take your gear!

My KLR also does great on the highway as well. It truly is the do-it-all bike.

LongGun1
06-05-2012, 23:21
And you're planning on staying on paved roads only with a bug out bike? Might as well drive a car or the others that choose cars will hit you and take your gear!

My KLR also does great on the highway as well. It truly is the do-it-all bike.

Nope... not planning on just staying on paved roads if I ever were to bug out..

..nor did I ever indicate that.

Is the pic of the "V" in the last post on a "paved road"?

As far as hitting me...only a small percentage of vehicles can match the "V"s (even fully loaded) acceleration or top speed..

..on the other hand...

..you on your KLR....much higher percentage!

I think you are safe from the Prius though! :rofl:

Hey, I know very well from personal experience what a KLR can & cannot do with its 37 hp...

..but have you ever ridden a DL-1000 (or even a DL-650) as a comparison?

Hint....concerning power ..there simply is no comparison! :whistling:

BR549
06-06-2012, 11:46
Nope... not planning on just staying on paved roads if I ever were to bug out..

..nor did I ever indicate that.

Is the pic of the "V" in the last post on a "paved road"?

What pic?

As far as hitting me...only a small percentage of vehicles can match the "V"s (even fully loaded) acceleration or top speed..

..on the other hand...

..you on your KLR....much higher percentage!

I think you are safe from the Prius though! :rofl:

If..by "vehicles" you mean stock cars and SUVs driven by soccer moms...well...okay.

But if you are talking about what's really on the road these days with American, Japanese, European hot-rods / tuners..........

.......the acceleration that YOU can get on YOUR "V" is relatively not that overwhelming........

...and the "V" top speed is.....well.....

....ahem.....weak!

Hey, I know very well from personal experience what a KLR can & cannot do with its 37 hp...

..but have you ever ridden a DL-1000 (or even a DL-650) as a comparison?

Hint....concerning power ..there simply is no comparison! :whistling:

....Concerning power....the "V" is at the low end of the power spectrum for two-wheeled vehicles.........

....I have fourwheelers and SMs that will smoke it through the quarter on the street and in anything offroad...

...even if the "V" was without your cargo...

Happypuppy
06-06-2012, 13:29
You do know the Vee will do In the 12s 1/4 mile? The engine is the Suzuki TL 1000 detuned for low end torque. That said its a trade off to carry a load or a race bike.

BR549
06-06-2012, 14:46
You do know the Vee will do In the 12s 1/4 mile? The engine is the Suzuki TL 1000 detuned for low end torque. That said its a trade off to carry a load or a race bike.

I have normally aspirated Jeeps that I personally have run low 12s with...on 93 octane pump gas...nothing more.

I have personally run 600cc stock bikes routinely from 10.7 to 10.9...........

....and 10.5 with nothing but pipe/intake/FI map/suspension modifications....

...and these bikes have 40% less displacement than the "mighty V"....(but they do have twice the pistons)............

...and I'm old and overly careful (scared/responsible)...

...I'm not knocking you...but find someone to put 450lbs on the pegs of the V-Strom then run a real time under 12.5...

...I may be blind...but I can't see it happening.......:yawn:

LongGun1
06-06-2012, 14:53

+1 :thumbsup:

BTW...I do not think my personal troll is wanting to allow facts to stand in the way of the relentless blatantly false diatribe of his personal assault.

Motorcycle Consumer News has the 'detuned' DL-1000 in the 1/4 mile at 11.56 sec @ 114.1 mph.

If anyone wants their own personal troll..

..I know where there is an unwanted one you can have for free! :supergrin:

Just to spice up the deal..

he admittedly comes with 4-wheelers in the 3 second range 0-60 MPH :upeyes:

..& better than mid 11's in the quarter! :rofl:

The rabbit hole gets deeper! :whistling:

BR549
06-06-2012, 15:34
+1 :thumbsup:

BTW...I do not think my personal troll is wanting to allow facts to stand in the way of the relentless blatantly false diatribe of his personal assault.

Motorcycle Consumer News has the 'detuned' DL-1000 in the 1/4 mile at 11.56 sec @ 114.1 mph.

If anyone wants their own personal troll..

..I know where there is an unwanted one you can have for free! :supergrin:

Just to spice up the deal..

he admittedly comes with 4-wheelers in the 3 second range 0-60 MPH :upeyes:

..& better than mid 11's in the quarter! :rofl:

The rabbit hole gets deeper! :whistling:

...you can't run your V-Strom to sub-12 in the 1/4....

...or less than 3.9 0-60...

PM sent...:cool:

BR549
06-06-2012, 16:25

waiting for a reply.....

DJ Niner
06-07-2012, 00:43
LG, have you considered adding a small woven synthetic tarp to your gear? Lots of uses, fairly small/light, also can be pressed into service as temporary packaging for items picked-up during a trip.

LongGun1
06-07-2012, 04:56
LG, have you considered adding a small woven synthetic tarp to your gear? Lots of uses, fairly small/light, also can be pressed into service as temporary packaging for items picked-up during a trip.

I had just ordered a 8 x 10' Silnylon Tarp (tent) ...

...lightweight & very compact when folded into the carry bag.

And thanks for asking the type of question..

.. that just might allow my thread to get back on track! :thumbsup:

BR549
06-07-2012, 13:57
Bike as in motorcycle ;)

I have a ongoing project to turn the V-Strom into a BOB..(Bug-Out-Bike)

..either with or without the clip-on luggage! :supergrin:

One set of essentials inside the luggage..

..& smaller lightweight backups that duplicate the function of other 'essentials'..

..secured under the seat & side panels to stay with the bike... sans luggage.

Besides all the other gear acquired previously for the project...(tools, electrical/electronic spares, etc)

..in the last week bought for the bike luggage..

..an (200 gal capacity) Camelbak Base Camp Drip Filter...2 gallon waterbag with carry handle...(already have sealed glass vial of calcium hypochlorite/pool shock)

I'm glad you made the edit on the maker of the Base Camp Drip Filter => Katadyn, not Camelbak. I have used them for years. It is a good product by a good company. I carry one or an MSR Autoflow, which supposedly has a higher capacity and a 0.2 micron filter compared to the Katadyn's 0.3. I have yet to replace a filter in any of mine. I have so many different filters that are used regularly, many spare complete systems, and many replacement filters for those I have chosen to use if/when a severe situation occurs. BTW ceramic elements are quite brittle so you should make sure it is cushioned well inside your luggage or whatever.
Could you expound on why you carry your “bleach/poolshock” in a glass container?

..3 ea 10 oz bags of Bob's Red Mill TVP...2 bowls of spicy ramen chicken noodles.. (already have MREs & accessory packs...parachute cord, etc)

I’ve said this before, but I would definitely suggest something other than those noodles. I choose various pastas, use non-MSG spices, and the ability to make a decent sauce from freeze-dried products.
The adventure/touring lifestyle is so romantic…why not be able to make a really good meal at your campsite for your friends.

..outdoor sleeping pad (to go with the lightweight GI sleeping bag already in the stuff sack)..

I realize you have vast amounts of cargo space, but what sleeping pad are you using. I am still using a Thermarest ProLite 3 or 4 depending on the season, half size. It is light and packs fairly small, but it still takes up a lot of space when put inside luggage, as does the sleeping bag.

..copper bottomed stainless steel hiking cookset...4 person Coleman Camping Utensel Set..

I realize since you are on a bike… extra stuff is no big deal… like four sets of utensils to share a meal with your friends. What cookset are you using? Cooksets take up a good bit of space, depending on the size of the largest pot/pan?

Looking at a spare MSR Dragonfly Stove/fuel bottles & an spare ceramic element for the Katadyn Base Camp for the project soon

I suggest packing the fuel bottles inside something else which would minimize the possibility of any leaked fuel ruining something else.
A third stove…on a GHB…Hmmm….that’s some serious cooking for Ramen, TVP, and MRE’s.
Sounds okay to me if you have the space…and the fear of not having enough redundancies to be able to cook enough.
I suggest choosing one stove per trip plus enough fire-making ability to be able to cook with fire alone.

For the bike...(1,000 liter) LifeStraw http://www.vestergaard-frandsen.com/lifestraw .....

..6 Whirl-pak standup sealable water bags...Katadyn Micropur MP1 Tablets...

Nice...

.. Bleuet (Esbit type) 2 Position Pocket Stove with 6 fuel cubes stored inside (+ 12 more)..

...ESBIT Titanium Folding Pocket Stove ...copper (Esbit-type) Ultralight Pocket Stove (+ 12 Solid Fuel tabs)...

..2 collapsible stainless steel cups...2 ea folding utensil sets..

Here are the other two stoves…the ones that use the smelly fuel……make sure to pack this well so that is will not contaminate things you want to smell nice or things you want to eat.

..and more cups…collapsible…not my choice…

At least now we can have dinner for six with two more sets of utensils…
What plates and bowls are you serving dinner on?

..2 Datrex 3,600 calorie emergency rations...a 10 oz bag TVP...2 bowls of spicy ramen chicken noodles..GSI Outdoors Spice Missile..

Survival rations…check… How about some other less extreme “emergency food” that is edible without cooking?...in addition to the Datrex
More Ramen and TVP…that’s a total of four bowls of spicy ramen chicken noodles…answers my question about serving the meal with plate/bowl… and a total of 4 10oz, bags of TVP...uuugh.

(to go with items I have now...like hot cocoa mix, instant coffee, creme, sugar, salt, all spice, Tabasco, TP, etc)

Whew !!! ……….. I’ll skip dinner and just have this… or water ….

..Gerber Basic Survival Kit....Adventure Medical Kits Trauma Pack w/ Quikclot...AMK 2-person Bivy Bag..

(small medical kit, butane lighter, Swedish fire steel knife & cubes, leatherman wave, deluxe pocket survival kit with "stren-in-a-straw & mag-in-a-straw"...already in bike)

Okay, but I carry additional gauze, tape, Israeli bandages, and elastic wrap….
What cubes are you using?
With so much cargo capacity…why not just carry a rod & reel…. and tackle box?
I have forgotten what a mag-in-a-straw is…..

Any other suggestions??
Since you do not wear a pack, do you have one (at least a small one) stored in the luggage or elsewhere on your bike? It is handy for summits, fishing trips, etc. where a long walk might be part of the fun…even though the V can go anywhere...or at least to carry as GHB in case the bike was no longer working…though I realize that is not likely since it is a V and you have tools and parts to fix whatever might happen.
Seriously…rethink the food….
Shelter.
Pack.

..the bike has enough space for the resident gear..

..& the luggage & top case has enough space for the main gear..

..as well as clothes, rain gear, spare helmet, toiletries, etc

That spare helmet takes up some room doesn’t it?

I have carried a full MSR bottle in my bike luggage for that purpose for a couple of years now.

So yours is a 2010? Blue, silver,other?
30oz of additional gas will take your bike about 14 miles IF you could get 60mpg….but with the load the bike is carrying….hmmmm…

I have a bike cover already in the luggage..

..& the mat is large enough to 'dual purpose'..

..as both a ground pad..

.. & lean-to or pup tent

So if it’s dry, you’ll sleep on the mat….if it’s raining…you’ll sleep under the mat….using the AMK bivy, maybe…
I suggest something different and better….(a) hammock, tarp, bug netting (b) a better bivy (c) a better bivy with tarp (d) bivy, tarp, netting (e) tent
Bug repellent…Good.

I had just ordered a 8 x 10' Silnylon Tarp (tent) ...

...lightweight & very compact when folded into the carry bag.

Okay, but the netting is a great thing also…

.. that just might allow my thread to get back on track!
As far as track time...do not see an pressing need...