My 12 year old daughter gets me so mad!!!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My 12 year old daughter gets me so mad!!!!!

M&P Shooter
05-27-2012, 10:16
OK she just told me that One Direction is the best band in the world. She just told me that the guitar player for One Direction destroys Randy Rhoads and Van Halen:steamed:

One Direction:crying:
Solo at 3:25
One Direction Guitarist Tour Diary - YouTube

Eddie
Eddie Van Halen - Eruption - YouTube

Randy
Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train **Official Video** - YouTube

MTV and the media has destroyed my baby:crying:

NeverMore1701
05-27-2012, 10:18
Well I don't like any of the three, no accounting for taste I suppose.

Annoyedgrunt
05-27-2012, 10:31
MTV and the media has destroyed my baby:crying:

That's funny- parents were saying that exact same thing about MTV back in the 80's. You know, when it was playing Van Halen and Ozzy etc. :whistling:

cyphertext
05-27-2012, 10:31
I have now disowned my 13 yr old son....I had him listen to the 3 clips...solo part only, and tell me which one was the best. We had to drop Crazy Train from the competition because he knows and likes the song. So between the boy band and Eddie, in a blind test, he chose the boy band.

Where did I go wrong? I tried to raise him right.

okie
05-27-2012, 10:36
Rhoads and Halen smoke the lad:supergrin::rofl:

Snaps
05-27-2012, 10:38
Well I don't like any of the three, no accounting for taste I suppose.

agreed.

M&P Shooter
05-27-2012, 10:38
Rhoads and Halen smoke the lad:supergrin::rofl:
Okie I tried so hard to make my daughters listen to good music. I even told her to not listen to the song but just the talent from the guitar players and she said that One Direction killed them. I had her listen to Eddie, Rhoads, Dimebag and she said that stupid boy band guitar player slaughtered them:crying:

cyphertext
05-27-2012, 10:43
Okie I tried so hard to make my daughters listen to good music. I even told her to not listen to the song but just the talent from the guitar players and she said that One Direction killed them. I had her listen to Eddie, Rhoads, Dimebag and she said that stupid boy band guitar player slaughtered them:crying:

Maybe she needs a hearing test. Kinda like in White Men Can't Jump...She is listening to Randy and Eddie, but she isn't hearing them.

FL Airedale
05-27-2012, 10:47
If the worst thing she does is disagree with your taste in music, you are truly blessed!

itstime
05-27-2012, 10:47
Kids these days. Most of them don't listen to talent

nipperwolf
05-27-2012, 10:50
Okie I tried so hard to make my daughters listen to good music.

How about letting her form her own opinions and tastes. ;)

Kevin108
05-27-2012, 10:54
What were you listening to when you were 12?

Kloogee
05-27-2012, 10:55
Geez, I'm getting old. Never heard of One Direction before. I thought I was going to be one of those cool parents, but I guess I'm headed the way of my parents....

rick458
05-27-2012, 10:57
Play Mark Knoffler (Dire Straits) Telegraph road for her

NH Trucker
05-27-2012, 10:59
Just give her time. At 12, her focus is on boy bands because they're popular with her peer group. In a few more years, she'll come back to reality and recognize the talent you've been showing her all along.

It could be worse. She could be getting into rap.

Fred Hansen
05-27-2012, 11:00
:fred:

Huaco Kid
05-27-2012, 11:00
Mom had a neat trick (that I didn't figure out until later) that she used to pull on us. She would come into our room and say "Wow! I REALLY like THAT song! Play it again!"

It would suck the rebelliousness right out of our choice of music and that album would soon work it's way to the bottom of the stack.

((FTW: And I don't have any CD's with my generation's music any more. My daughters stole them.))

Fred Hansen
05-27-2012, 11:02
JUSTIFIED - ¨LONG HARD TIMES TO COME¨ by GANGSTAGRASS & T.O.N.E.Z. -- - YouTube

pineappleshooter
05-27-2012, 11:10
I wouldn't call what he did a "solo" - he was sort of keeping time til the band came back on!

M&P Shooter
05-27-2012, 11:34
What were you listening to when you were 12?
Zeppelin, Hendrix:cool:

Lone Wolf8634
05-27-2012, 12:02
One Direction........well, suffice it to say I did not enjoy their sorry attempt at music.

Randy had more guitar talent in his big toe than that "guitarist" has in his entire body.:supergrin:

tehan2
05-27-2012, 12:24
Just give her time. At 12, her focus is on boy bands because they're popular with her peer group. In a few more years, she'll come back to reality and recognize the talent you've been showing her all along.

It could be worse. She could be getting into rap.

My 10 year old daughter plays drums...when she's listening to music to enjoy and just listen it's stuff like Adele . But if she's listening to music for instruments, it's Rush, The Who, Van Halen or Buddy Rich, Elvin Jones (for Jazz) or Jabo Starks (for funk)

Geko45
05-27-2012, 12:26
My 12 year old daughter gets me so mad!!!!!

Hmm, and here I thought you were a 12 year old girl...

:whistling:

(just poking fun!)

:wavey:

K.Kiser
05-27-2012, 12:36
Your daughter is just unexsposed... I will agree that all generations have a different opinion of what "good", but I also believe it's not 100% subjective... Guys like Rhoads, Van Halen, Mark Knofler, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Kirk Hammet, John Sikes, etc. were truly masters of Rock/ metal guitar work... They were reared and played in the age of the electric guitar, and when axe masters were gods unlike now...

I can't leave out some favorites like Rik Emmet (Triumph), and Brian May (Queen)...

Here's something she may watch, it's Stevie Ray and Jimmie playing a double guitar together... SRV could go head to head with anyone who has ever held a 6-string, and his brother was arguably as talented in a slightly different style.. Show your Girl what true talent look like..

STEVIE RAY & JIMMY VAUGHAN "PIPELINE" ON A DOUBLE NECK! - YouTube

IndianaMatt
05-27-2012, 12:38
Kids say the darndest things!

97XJ_Sport
05-27-2012, 12:41
SHow them this:

Dream Theater - The Glass Prison - YouTube

Or this:

Dream Theater - This Dying Soul - YouTube

They probably won't like it, but they're 12, what do they know.

Eurodriver
05-27-2012, 12:43
She could be listening to those Rhythm N Blues.

We all know how much the ladies love that ;) yeaaahhhh

K.Kiser
05-27-2012, 12:56
Dream Theater, YES..... Always good stuff with that band... I saw on that Metal Show where Mike Pourtnoy (dream theater) and John Sikes (thin lizzy, whitesnake, blue murder) are teaming up with their own band... Gotta be good...

pilsbury
05-27-2012, 16:26
Zeppelin, Hendrix:cool:
+1. Got my first Zeppelin album (2) when I was 12.

Reissman
05-27-2012, 18:26
I feel your pain brother.....Last year my 13 yr old was all Bieber , bieber, bieber.....AAAHHHHH.....I told her If I heard his name again I would ground her for a year!! LOL. This year she's 14 and its one direction.....

Jason D
05-27-2012, 19:55
Someday she may grow out of that boy band techno crap so many listen to today.
Just make sure you are there to fill her head with the good stuff.

G30SF/F-250
05-27-2012, 20:01

(just poking fun!)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I usually read the whole thread through before replying, but that was funny!:supergrin:

janice6
05-27-2012, 20:14
Of course she does. That's a child's job!

tsmo1066
05-27-2012, 20:21
I feel your pain!

My step-daughter is 12 and thinks "One direction" is the greatest thing since sliced bread!

All I can do is shake my head...

Spiffums
05-27-2012, 20:25
When you run out of limbs on the tree you send her to when your spanking her.........you can use the tree I used to have to go to, there should be a few limbs left on it.

Nutt51
05-27-2012, 21:15
Lot's of good ax men mentioned, but none better than

Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton, and Duane Allman.

Jimmie Page is right up there too.

tantrix
05-27-2012, 21:36
OK she just told me that One Direction is the best band in the world. She just told me that the guitar player for One Direction destroys Randy Rhoads and Van Halen

Your daughter needs a brain transplant...

:rofl:

Moose73
05-27-2012, 21:36
Buddy Guy and Jimi Hendrix tie for pound for pound all-time best.

Breadman03
05-27-2012, 21:45
Slightly OT: Queen is doing a World Tour this year, though with a substitute for the lenendary Freddy Mercury.

One Direction, blech.

kf4zra
05-27-2012, 22:25
Wow, if she thinks thats good, she should try Steve Vai, Slash, Zakk Wylde, Jimmy Page, Joe Satriani. The list goes on and on.

I really like Michael Angelo Batio. Its pretty impressive what he can do on one guitar, then he does it on 2 (or even 4!) at once. Check out 3:38 for the single guitar stuff.

http://youtu.be/Rz3JhKXJDTM

Whatever that band she is listening to now will be totally forgotten in 5 years. Anyone remember New Kids on the Block, LFO, O-town, 98 degrees, Hanson, Aaron Carter? I didn't think so. But the guys listed above will never be forgotten.

05-27-2012, 22:38
Rory Gallagher - I Fall Apart - YouTube

Maybe I Will - Rory Gallagher - YouTube

G30SF/F-250
05-27-2012, 22:39
Wow, if she thinks thats good, she should try Steve Vai, Slash, Zakk Wylde, Jimmy Page, Joe Satriani. The list goes on and on.

I agree :wavey:

*ASH*
05-27-2012, 22:44

I really like Michael Angelo Batio. Its pretty impressive what he can do on one guitar, then he does it on 2 (or even 4!) at once. Check out 3:38 for the single guitar stuff.

http://youtu.be/Rz3JhKXJDTM

Whatever that band she is listening to now will be totally forgotten in 5 years. Anyone remember New Kids on the Block, LFO, O-town, 98 degrees, Hanson, Aaron Carter? I didn't think so. But the guys listed above will never be forgotten.

well you just remembered them lol :rofl::rofl:

M&P Shooter
05-28-2012, 00:43

(just poking fun!)

How dare you, I am a 18 year old red head model on a dating service:tongueout:

bob_fuller
10-14-2012, 14:07
Objectively, VH is obviously the better musician. But it's important to remember that people said the same things about The Beatles back in the 60s that people are saying about 1 Direction now, so who knows? maybe they'll evolve into a better band?

Actually, nah. They'll be forgotten in 3 years, maybe 4 if they're lucky. Once they lose their youthful good looks, the young teen girl crowd won't care anymore.

Woofie
10-14-2012, 14:51
What a surprise, a bunch of old guy's acting like old guys. And I learned to play guitar from listening to Jimmy Page.

You guys should head on back to the rest home before you miss your tapioca and Lawrence Welke.

Glock&KimberLady
10-14-2012, 15:14
Hah, my kids request that I load their iPods with MY music...but I listen to everything from Ozzy to Basshunter to Lady Gaga to the techno tracks I loop in my spare time.

Numbah One Son shows a distinct preference toward electronica, whereas Older Dotta likes harder rock and Younger Dotta likes more poppy stuff.

I am still working on perfecting "Dee" by Randy Rhoads on my acoustic guitar, so this One Direction girl...err...boy band comparison offends me to my core.

Happily, BOTH Dottas hate Justin Bieber with a passion. :dancingbanana: But they love that "Call Me Maybe" song, so I guess it's a wash. :crying:

Bren
10-14-2012, 15:21
OK she just told me that One Direction is the best band in the world. She just told me that the guitar player for One Direction destroys Randy Rhoads and Van Halen:steamed:

One Direction:crying:
Solo at 3:25

Wow. That is sad. I think he copied that awesome solo from "Dummy's Guide to Generic Beginner Guitar Solos." Hopefully, she'll grow out of them by the time she's 14 - they seem to be aimed at a 12-year-old audience.

Buy her a guitar and amp - if she actually learns to play it, she won't like that band anymore.

dango
10-14-2012, 15:26
In my pursuit to open their ears , I made a huge mistake....!
Now , where once stood an amazing collection of the finest music now stands a pile of empty disc cases !

If only I had a crystal ball ! Let them have their trash music and be happy....................! :crying:

JLB768
10-14-2012, 15:58
Everyone knows the best band in the world is Fleetwood Mac, or the Eagles, or The Doors, or Pink Floyd, or Led Zeppelin :supergrin:

Annoyedgrunt
10-14-2012, 16:04
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk76/annoyedgrunt/slayer.jpg

TK-421
10-14-2012, 16:04
Better them than Rebecca Black. :tongueout:

Friday - Rebecca Black - Official Music Video - YouTube

jpa
10-14-2012, 16:08
I see your Randy and Eddie and raise you a Kirk

http://youtu.be/J1aA45kuop0

MrKandiyohi
10-14-2012, 17:13
I have now disowned my 13 yr old son....I had him listen to the 3 clips...solo part only, and tell me which one was the best. We had to drop Crazy Train from the competition because he knows and likes the song. So between the boy band and Eddie, in a blind test, he chose the boy band.

Where did I go wrong? I tried to raise him right.

Ask him if he likes ice cream or a fine wine more. It'll be one way now and another way in about 15 years.

GigiB
10-14-2012, 18:32
Van Halen is great, but even Eddie was influenced by THE Eric Clapton!

As for One Direction, I feel your pain, they're big in this house too.:upeyes:

SouthpawG26
10-14-2012, 18:46
OP, it could have been much much worse. She could have said that the Korean Gangnam Style dude is the most like totally awesomenest singer in the world!!!

WmHBonney
10-14-2012, 22:44
My kids really enjoy "Dad's music". I walked into my son's room the other day and he was listening to Best of the 80s on Pandora. He thought it was great and asked me if I was having flashbacks. Both kids like everything from classic rock to electronica to pop to blues to country. I encourage the diversity. True story: We were at a family party and my daughter, who was about 10 at the time, had her ipod with her. Folks wanted to put on some tunes so she volunteered to use her ipod. You should have seen the strange looks when a bunch of adults that grew up in the 80s found out that she had all of their favorites on her ipod. They were expecting Hannah Montana and Justin Bieber and got AC/DC and Motley Crue instead.....:rofl:

jp3975
10-15-2012, 02:49
They remind me of a much less cool My Chemical Romance. Have her listen to them.

My Chemical Romance - "The Ghost Of You" [Official Music Video] - YouTube

badge315
10-15-2012, 05:48

Maybe you could turn your daughter on to my son-in-law's band, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. They seem to be pretty popular with the "all ages" crowd, and their 19 year-old lead guitarist Josh Burke is pretty amazing.

The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus welcomes Josh Burke - YouTube

eracer
10-15-2012, 05:55
Sorry, I couldn't make it to the solo at 3:25.

At 1:06 my ears were spontaneously combusting.