Cool small items for EDC/get home bag. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cool small items for EDC/get home bag.

Dogbite
05-27-2012, 15:08
Hey guys, I upgraded my EDC pack to a Maxpedition Sitka. I am looking for cool small items to add to my pack that might be needed. Show me whatcha got!
Stuff in my pack so far:

industrial trash bag
rubber bands
lighter
2 flashlights
small first aid kit
meds--daily
pen and paper
duct tape
razor blade
small snacks
2.00 in quarters taped up.
extra mag for G30
small knife
small swiss tool--keychain type
zip lock bag of extra 45acp
550 nylon cord bracelet used as zipper pull
gloves-warm
knit cap
emergency blanket

getting a small fire starter---what else?

UneasyRider
05-27-2012, 15:40
Flash Drive
Cash
Credit card

UtahIrishman
05-27-2012, 16:01
road flare

dissthis
05-27-2012, 16:01
chapstick
small sewing kit
ear plugs
batteries
small knife sharpener
super glue
tissues
"wisp" tooth brush
mole skin
extra car/house keys

Bolster
05-27-2012, 17:29
Consider one of those translucent wallet organizers for storage of small items. They'll fit bandaids, wipes, fresnel mirror, safety pins, floss, needles, and other flat goodies. Found mine at Target, sold near the wallets in the men's section.

Dogbite
05-27-2012, 20:02
Good stuff guys! Thank you.

ratf51
05-27-2012, 21:32
road flare

I don't recall ever having seen "road flare" in a list of BOB or GHB contents. Great idea!

FireForged
05-27-2012, 22:30
Get home bag:

Clothing for the season
couple protein bars
Good Footware
Good Cap
Water
Defensive tool
gum

basic task, basic stuff..serious mind

UtahIrishman
05-27-2012, 22:40
I don't recall ever having seen "road flare" in a list of BOB or GHB contents. Great idea!

you can light almost anything burnable in the pouring rain with a road flare. That's why I carry it. I also keep some matches and Bic lighters for more 'ordinary' moments

Bushflyr
05-28-2012, 01:09
I think rather than looking for cool stuff to stick in your bag you should take a considered look at your location, situation, and likely scenarios. Then make choices based on those.

Do you drive to work? How far do you need to travel to get home? Can you 'borrow' a bicycle? Do you REALLY need a ziplock of extra ammo? (If it were me I'd throw in 2 G21 mags and call it a day. You're getting home, not getting in a firefight.) How much stuff do you need on your person and how much can you leave in your car? If you have to get home are you in office clothes or do you need a set of boots and pants you can walk in? Atlanta gets hot. Do you have a hat? Extra water carrier? The list goes on.

What works for me would not make sense for anyone in a different climate, season, urban/rural situation, or whatnot. Define the mission, gather intel, formulate your plan, then start figuring out what gear you need to make it work. Not the reverse.

ratf51
05-28-2012, 07:19
you can light almost anything burnable in the pouring rain with a road flare. That's why I carry it. I also keep some matches and Bic lighters for more 'ordinary' moments

That was my thought-- it would be excellent for the uber-difficult fire start. I think I'll have to add one into my bag now.

redbrd
05-28-2012, 07:23
BABY WIPES! TP! If it takes you more than a day to get home it would be nice to have. A clean butt goes a long way for morale.

Deputydave
05-28-2012, 07:35
Hey guys, I upgraded my EDC pack to a Maxpedition Sitka. I am looking for cool small items to add to my pack that might be needed. Show me whatcha got!
Stuff in my pack so far:

industrial trash bag
rubber bands
lighter
2 flashlights
small first aid kit
meds--daily
pen and paper
duct tape
razor blade
small snacks
2.00 in quarters taped up.
extra mag for G30
small knife
small swiss tool--keychain type
zip lock bag of extra 45acp
550 nylon cord bracelet used as zipper pull
gloves-warm
knit cap
emergency blanket

getting a small fire starter---what else?

I try to be as redundant as possible in certain areas i.e. fire, light, defense. If possible, I try to have multiple uses for an item;

Chapstick - keep your lips moist and lush while also having a petroleum based product to put on something like a cotton ball for starting a fire.

Alchol wipes - great for disinfecting a minor wound, clean your hands and again, getting a fire started.

Hand sanitizer - same as above and like chapstick can be put on a cotton ball or other tinder.

Extra batteries for your flashlights.

Firesteel and/or magnesium bar w/striker - I usually carry both. In addition to the normal sized firesteel I have the 99 cent varitey from firesteel.com. These are small enough to put inside an Altoid tin with some pre-made tinder. I also have one in my wallet. Since fire is so useful for a myriad of reasons (warmth, cooking, protection, sanitizing water etc), it just makes sense to be overly redundant in this area (lighter, firesteel, magnesium bar, magnifying glass + pre-made tinder i.e. cotton ball w/vasaline, alchol wipes etc).

Quart and gallon sized freezer bags - while it is great to have a solid container for water like a canteen, it is wise to consider that the situation may exist that a container isn't always the best object to GET the water. For example, if the water is in some type of crack or crevise the canteen won't fit in or if the water is very shallow the canteen or bottle might not scoop if effectively. Thus, the freezer bags can be used to collect water. They are pretty durable as well and can seal effectively. Plus, when not in use they can store other objects or fold flat and small to conserve space.

Compass.

Dogbite
05-28-2012, 18:47
All great ideas. I also thought of something else, a bandana. I have seen many good uses for one.