New Pistol Purchasing Policy - I Only Buy Pistols I Will Actually Carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Pistol Purchasing Policy - I Only Buy Pistols I Will Actually Carry

ShaneS
05-28-2012, 07:22
I've been shooting and collecting pistols for years. Most of them have been medium and large frame pistols that are fun to shoot at the range.

I've had my TX CHL for the past 15 or so years but very rarely carry on my person because full-sized pistols are uncomfortable for me to carry. I decided recently that I am going to carry often and have been selling pistols that I am not likely to ever carry (ex. G21) and purchasing pistols that I am likely to actually carry (ex. Shield, CM9). I have lost some weight and purchased some high quality IWB holsters.

I have a few larger pistols that I will not part with, but I think I will stick with this new philosophy for future purchases.

faawrenchbndr
05-28-2012, 07:29
Makes sense,......now if I could only find a IWB holster for my
7.5" Super Blackhawk!

M&P15T
05-28-2012, 07:56
I've never been into "collecting" myself, so your approach makes sense to me.

Shoot what you carry, carry what you shoot.

FL Airedale
05-28-2012, 07:57
I agree with you, mostly. I sold my Ruger Super Blackhawk, S&W 37, and Beretta 21. The Ruger is too big to carry, the S&W is 5 shots and can't handle +P. I'd rather carry my Glock 26 since it has more shots and can be fed +P, making it far superior, in my opinion. The Beretta is gone because I don't want to depend on a .22 rimfire in a gun fight.

I did keep my bull barreled Ruger MK II. It's cheap to shoot and heavy enough to help condition the muscles used when pointing a pistol.

CBennett
05-28-2012, 07:57
Im ALMOST like that...They dont necessarily have to be "carry" pistols..but they DO have to be a pistol(or ANY gun) that I will actually USE. I wont own/have or understand having a gun that sits for the most part in a gun case/vault/collection gathering dust never shot...I just dont have $$ for stuff like that lol. if i own it it HAS to get used somehow...with a few very RARE exceptions(like a heirloom thats just too old but was handed down but isnt safe or your scared to fire...I get having that and not shooting it..i just dont get having a gun that sits in a safe not shot thats 100% capable of being shot lol).

faawrenchbndr
05-28-2012, 08:05
The SBH is one I'll never sell. It's a hunting back up & a great woods gun.

Lior
05-28-2012, 08:06
This policy is okay if you do not compete seriously in shooting matches. Raceguns and Olympic pistols do not lend themselves to easy concealment or carryability. Two of my pistols are completely unsuitable for carry.

kamonjj
05-28-2012, 08:08
I have been doing the exact same thing. I have been pretty much selling every gun that is a range queen that I could part with. Unfortunately the shield is on back order everywhere.

Z71bill
05-28-2012, 08:11
The only major problem with your policy - it needs an exception.

Every rule needs an exception. :upeyes:

I would add an exception for .22 caliber guns - 3 out of the last 6 guns I purchased were .22 caliber.

IMHO if you like to actually shoot - the .22 is your friend. :supergrin:

A brick of 500 .22 LR ~$20 or less on sale.

Which buys me about

~85 rounds of 9MM
~65 rounds of 40S&W
~55 rounds of 45 ACP

Its not all about SD with me - I like to shoot because it is FUN - and spending $20 and getting - 3 hours shooting 500 rounds of .22 is a lot more fun that spending $20 and getting 15 minutes shooting 45 ACP.

YMMV.

JBnTX
05-28-2012, 08:14
but I think I will stick with this new philosophy for future purchases.

You've got it all wrong. You need to rethink your entire pistol purchasing belief system.

You don't buy pistols because you're going to carry them, or collect them or anything else.

You buy pistols because you WANT them.
No other reason is required or even desirable.

It's normal to want every pistol you see.
The more pistols you have the more normal of a person you are.

I can't believe some of the things I've read in this thread.

bac1023
05-28-2012, 08:23
Not me.

I'm a collector and only carry a few of my handguns.

I do see your point though.

barth
05-28-2012, 08:28
I have seven handguns and try to have every one somewhat
different to fill different roles.

Mostly I'm only interested in guns I can carry.
But my S&W 629-2 44 mag isn't going anywhere - LOL!
I'm not comfortable carrying cocked and locked either.
But may still add a classic 1911 to the arsenal at some time.

Having only carry guns makes sense.
I don't always make sense - LOL!

M&P15T
05-28-2012, 08:55
You've got it all wrong. You need to rethink your entire pistol purchasing belief system.

I don't buy pistols because I'm going to carry them, or collect them or anything else.

I buy pistols because I WANT them.
No other reason is required or even desirable.

It's normal to want every pistol I see.
The more pistols I have the more normal of a person I am.

I can't believe some of the things I've posted in this thread.

Fixed it for ya!!:rofl::rofl:

dnuggett
05-28-2012, 09:25
Makes sense to go down to only what you will carry. I have a similar approach now, but my approach is to go down to only what I shoot. If I kept only what I carry I'd only have 3-4 handguns.

Bruce M
05-28-2012, 10:04
The only major problem with your policy - it needs an exception.

Every rule needs an exception. :upeyes:

I would add an exception for .22 caliber guns - 3 out of the last 6 guns I purchased were .22 caliber.

IMHO if you like to actually shoot - the .22 is your friend. :supergrin:

A brick of 500 .22 LR ~$20 or less on sale.

Which buys me about

~85 rounds of 9MM
~65 rounds of 40S&W
~55 rounds of 45 ACP

Its not all about SD with me - I like to shoot because it is FUN - and spending $20 and getting - 3 hours shooting 500 rounds of .22 is a lot more fun that spending $20 and getting 15 minutes shooting 45 ACP.

YMMV.

Agreed - if one likes to shoot a .22 is about mandatory.

Andrewsky
05-28-2012, 10:38
I think it's hilarious when people complain about how uncomfortable it is for them to carry their giant steel-framed doublestack guns in cheap IWB holsters with their Kohl's belt under a t-shirt. I recommend:

-Wearing loose clothing
-Using a proper gun belt
-Balancing out the weight on your belt with a back-up gun or spare ammunition on the opposite side
-Using an OWB holster
-Carrying a single stack pistol (keep weight out of the grip, which lies above the belt).

JBnTX
05-28-2012, 10:45
Fixed it for ya!!:rofl::rofl:

You're in denial.
That's not healthy.

You need to buy a gun today.

byf43
05-28-2012, 11:12
New Pistol Purchasing Policy - I Only Buy Pistols I Will Actually Carry

Not me.
I'm not a 'collector', per se, but, if I like a pistol/revolver, it will be considered for purchase.

Manufacturer's reputation. Model's reputation. Caliber. All taken into consideration.

mrt949
05-28-2012, 11:37
At my stage in life if I can use it for cc it is a keper if not it goes.

M&P15T
05-28-2012, 12:25
You're in denial.
That's not healthy.

You need to buy a gun today.

Remember the thread asking if buying a new firearm was exciting?

It's just not anymore. Ammo and accessories for my AR are where I would much rather spend my limited firearms budget.

Cole125
05-28-2012, 12:25
I'm not really a collector either and most of my guns have a practical use. I carry most of my handguns, except the big ones like S&W 686 and G21 which are range guns.

If I am at home or near my vehicle I have a bigger gun like a 12g shotgun or a .223 or .308 rifle to use, my handguns only practical use is for conceal carry.

Creatism
05-28-2012, 12:28
I've been doing that for a couple yrs now.
some exceptions but if I don't see myself carrying it I'm not likely to buy it!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Motor City Glocker
05-28-2012, 12:50
Not me.
I'm not a 'collector', per se, but, if I like a pistol/revolver, it will be considered for purchase.

Manufacturer's reputation. Model's reputation. Caliber. All taken into consideration.

I know what you mean. I bought a used Beretta 92FS. I did some research on the hallmarks on the trigger guard. I found out it was manufactured in Italy in 1990. The thing is, this gun looks factory fresh, not one single mark on it. I just can't bring myself to shoot it. I shoot Berettas very well and I bought it with the intention of using it as a range gun. Pretty neurotic, I know.

ZO6Vettever
05-28-2012, 13:51
I'm no collector by any means. I still have the first gun I bought myself for carry back in 1974. But I only have our currant carry weapons, my G30 and my wife's G26. Previous carry was a Sigma, carried it about 4 years and put many rounds down range. Wife liked my Sigma so I got her one she carried (off body) for 2 years. When we got the Glocks we traded them in. Had no use for them and wasn't attached. I'll practice with my carry weapon because self defense is all I'm interested in. Doesn't mean some 1911's and all the Colt Python's don't give me that warm fuzzy feelin'. After all, I'm a guy!

NEOH212
05-28-2012, 13:55
I've never been into "collecting" myself, so your approach makes sense to me.

Shoot what you carry, carry what you shoot.

Well said sir! :thumbsup:

porschedog
05-28-2012, 14:00
Good policy, but it precludes "fun" guns such as the S&W Governor. I'll buy what I can carry, as well as what I want to own. To each his own, as it were.

Bruce M
05-28-2012, 15:23

It's normal to want every pistol you see.

That is just wrong on multiple levels...http://stenguns.tripod.com/AuctionpixRifles/JA25SatinChromeLS.JPGNow if you add the word "quality" in that statement then I might be closer to agreement :supergrin:

unit1069
05-28-2012, 16:31
I decided recently that I am going to carry often and have been selling pistols that I am not likely to ever carry ...

That's always been my guiding handgun principle just because limited financial resources for some folks make that a necessity. Fortunately I've not had to sell any pistols with the one exception where I traded for an identical smaller version of the one traded.

I do appreciate the science and art of firearms and they are not only functional pieces of equipment/art but also things I enjoy reading about. As soon as I hit Mega Millions I plan on becoming a collector instead of a consumer of the basic product.

I will agree with those who have a particular non-carry gun for strictly home self-defense as capacity and barrel length add an advantage in the case of a dire emergency. Also I have a nice Ruger Mark II .22lr that's a wonderful pistol that provides hours of inexpensive fun at the range.

Still, my main focus is CCW for every handgun I own, and except for the Ruger every one I own does get carried.

Metal Angel
05-28-2012, 18:02
I think carry is pri 1, HD is second, SHTF is third, and once you have those bases covered, buy what you want! I carry my Glock 19, and am in the market for a smaller CC gun for the days my 19 doesn't work (although I have been having great success with polo and button down collared shirts in combo with my 19 in a CBST). I have an AR 15 project underway currently for SHTF, which doubles as "just because I want it". The 19 doubles as HD, but I'm thinking eventually a full size Glock (21 or 17 i cant decide) for HD with a light. That may also double for SHTF.

Once I have those bases covered (including carry gun for the lady, piles if ammo, and any accessories i want) I'll be buying .22 pistols, 1911s, Revolvers and anything I damn well please! Buy practical first, then buy what makes you happy. Just my opinion.

The_Gun_Guru
05-28-2012, 18:23
I Only Buy Pistols I Will Actually Carry

Hey! Me too!:wavey:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa310/gunguru364/The%20AKs/photobucket-2707-1324501208271.jpg

All kidding aside....

Do what is best for YOU. Just out of curiosity, what are some of these full-size pistols that you WON'T part with?

TGG

TSAX
05-28-2012, 18:38
This is a good policy for many especially if they cant afford to buy a bunch of knew guns. Get the one you need most and the others can follow.

:50cal:

MattyIce
05-28-2012, 22:58
I'm almost the same way, with the exception of my 1911 that is mainly a competition pistol that I never carry. However, "carry ability" is what led me to recently swap out my sig P226 to get a P229. I pick it up this week.

Reb 56
05-29-2012, 00:33
This is a good policy for many especially if they cant afford to buy a bunch of knew guns. Get the one you need most and the others can follow.

reliability:50cal:

Every gun I buy is judged by its CCW potential must be light,reliable and be in at least .380 through .45 caliber.

ShaneS
05-29-2012, 08:02
Just out of curiosity, what are some of these full-size pistols that you WON'T part with? TGG

I will not part with my Beretta 92FS or Glock 22, but they are the largest I will have in my arsenal. The rest are compact or subcompact.

I can definitely see the value of having a .22 pistol for training, range or pest control. I'm actually looking for a .22 pistol to purchase now.

If you have lots of money, you should have whatever you want. My funds are somewhat limited, so I am going to focus on having pistols I will actually carry.

There is value in having something you can carry to use to get to a larger pistol or rifle or shotgun if possible.

A pistol on your person is better than a pistol at home in a safe. That's the mistake I have been making.

ParkerRev
05-29-2012, 09:21
As a new shooter, I've tried to go slow in gun purchases and invest funds in practice ammo to improve my skill. Still, it makes more sense to me to purchase guns that I will actually use as a carry weapon or a home defense weapon. I look at it in terms of priorities:

1. Concealed Carry
2. Home defense
3. Range fun

So, as I have funds available I can think about a purchase based upon those priorities. The third category gives me some flexibility. :) I know it is ridiculous to apply logic to gun purchases, but at this point in my life I can't afford something that I won't use.

By the way, I recently said to a friend, "I don't really need another gun." He replied, "What does need have to do with it?" :) I wonder who that was?

cowboy1964
05-29-2012, 09:24
That's always been my rule. The one exception to this that I may make is a S&W 686 Plus. While I may carry it it's unlikely I'll do so unless all semi-autos are banned.

cfr
05-29-2012, 09:37
My biggest/ heaviest pistol is a G22. I could carry it if I absolutely had too. The rest are smaller/ lighter than that, for the reasons you listed.... except for a 4" Taurus Tracker, but I consider that my wife's gun.

I wont buy another new gun for a couple years because I want to fund some good training instead.

After that, I'll buy a CZ, for no other reason than to make me look sexy. :cool:

TxGlock9
05-29-2012, 09:52
Put it this way. I carry whatever pistol I buy.... :whistling:

ShaneS
05-29-2012, 09:55
By the way, I recently said to a friend, "I don't really need another gun." He replied, "What does need have to do with it?" :) I wonder who that was?

I'm a changed man! :whistling: (Not really)

I didn't say I was going to limit the number of pistols I own just to focus on pistols I can actually carry.

samuse
05-29-2012, 10:06
Makes sense,......now if I could only find a IWB holster for my
7.5" Super Blackhawk!

All you need is a dead cow and a sturdy belt!:rofl:

blee2112
05-29-2012, 10:28
My policy is to only keep guns I like to shoot. I haven't sold any yet but I plan to ... more money for ammo or others guns I'd like. So that means I will only carry guns I like to shoot! My current EDC is a Ruger LCP and that thing is fun! So as much as I want to love my S&W 642 it's got to go because I do not enjoy shooting it at all.
My other two "fun" guns are my G19 and my S&W 66. They ain't going anywhere ;-)

ca survivor
05-29-2012, 11:43
I've been doing about the same thing, getting rid of heavy and specially wide guns, I IWB most of the times.

Quigley
05-29-2012, 12:18
I mainly carry either P3AT, SP101, and occasionally my G27. Other than that there is the G22 that sits in my night stand, My GP100 that is almost always my primary or backup hunting gun and the Buckmark which is a blast to shoot and also pulls some hunting time. I wouldn't own a handgun that never got used. I just don't see the point. That's the reason I got rid of my 1911. I already had two guns that could do the same task better. My GP100 and my G22.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Diesel McBadass
05-29-2012, 13:37
i collect and shoot for fun, people got to remember you need a fun gun or two in the arsenal, just soemthin that brings a smile to your face when you pull the trigger

2740dmx
05-29-2012, 18:11
Only because of financial constraints....

my handgun "arsenal" consists of only a J-frame (S&W 340 M&P)
and a G26 Gen4......

If money was not a factor....I would have a collection that would make Bac jealous!:cool:

datnvan
05-29-2012, 18:38
been my philosophy since i started carrying a few years ago. when i do ipsc its with either one of my g19s. no race gun, no ports, no fancy 0.5 lb. trigger, no flared magwells, nothing that didnt come factory. one of these days i will do a match with my g26 as well. all my carry guns from other makers have been in the compact or subcompact size only as well. includes a ruger lcr, lcp, taurus 709, XD9sc, g27, sigma, and soon to be shield and/or another lcr.

rhans405
05-30-2012, 09:22
<--- owns many handguns
<--- will not part with any
<--- will own more in the future
<--- only has a few carry guns
<--- has a lot of fun at the range :)

M&P15T
05-30-2012, 09:30
As a new shooter, I've tried to go slow in gun purchases and invest funds in practice ammo to improve my skill. Still, it makes more sense to me to purchase guns that I will actually use as a carry weapon or a home defense weapon. I look at it in terms of priorities:

1. Concealed Carry
2. Home defense
3. Range fun

So, as I have funds available I can think about a purchase based upon those priorities. The third category gives me some flexibility. :) I know it is ridiculous to apply logic to gun purchases, but at this point in my life I can't afford something that I won't use.

I see those priorities as one and the same. My carry pistol is the only one I want to shoot. I've shot the same basic platform for years and years, I know it very well, and still enjoy the hell out of shooting it.

To me, CCW and range toy should be the same thing, that way you are as good as possible with your CCW piece.

Oh, and HD/SD is rifle/shotgun time. Pistols are for carry, or to get you to your long gun.

cluznar
05-30-2012, 16:39
Focus on affordable dependable guns like;

Ruger SR9c or SR40c
Bersa Thunder Pro UC 9mm
Bersa BP9cc
S&W M&P9c
Bersa Thunder .380
Stoeger Cougar compact 9mm

HKLovingIT
05-30-2012, 19:16
I have some that are collectible, but only to me. Mostly for the kids to use like 1911, .22 revolvers, Makarov, etc. Some that are just fun to shoot like the PPQ, etc.

Lately, I've been kind of going with the same program as you. I don't need any more polymer double stacks to just stare back at me from the safe so I'm actually getting doubles of some of my guns that get carried, getting all the holsters, spare mags and accessory items up to snuff on everything.

And laying in ammo. Dollar cost averaging it and all.

cluznar
05-30-2012, 19:24
I actually think quite often about buying a double of a gun I have and like. If you are going to buy another gun why not one that you already know and like.

My idea is not to have just a number of guns, but to have all of my guns be ones that I like to carry and shoot.

:woohoo:

glock2740
05-30-2012, 19:31
The only 2 guns I own that I've never carried are my 2 Colt Pythons. The get shot, just not carried. :cool:

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/2snakes.jpg

cluznar
05-30-2012, 19:36
Very nice guns. I also have a Stoeger Cougar which I shoot but do not carry, it is the only gun I do not carry. I do have a holster for it if I want to carry it however.