Locking Block Plating Wearing Off [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Locking Block Plating Wearing Off

hearsedriver
05-29-2012, 21:01
I noticed tonight that the plating is wearing off of my Gen 4 19 locking block, mainly on the top side. This gun has about 400 rounds through it. Is this normal or anything I should be concerned about ?

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc433/cgfitch/004.jpg

Folsom_Prison
05-29-2012, 21:09
I'm not expert but IMO I shouldn't be an issue. Do you have a pic?

MrVvrroomm
05-29-2012, 21:09
I bet you're using Hoppes No. 9 to clean it?

hearsedriver
05-29-2012, 21:13
Picture added to OP. I do use Hoppes on the barrel but nowhere else on the gun.

GaryC
05-29-2012, 21:13
Absolutely normal and I only clean my Glock frames with a dry brush and Q-Tips ;)

Folsom_Prison
05-29-2012, 21:14
Doesn't look like much has came off, I wouldn't sweat it.

misfit356tsw
05-29-2012, 21:20
Mine looks the same and it will only wear to a certain point and stop. It is normal.

Glock Junkie
05-29-2012, 21:30
I polished mine and do not have any wear. When I clean it, I do rub across it with oily finger but not enough where oil is visible

hearsedriver
05-29-2012, 21:46
OK Great. Thanks!

SJ 40
05-29-2012, 21:47
Nothing to worry about,wait till you get 10000 rounds down the pipe and you will still have nothing to worry about. SJ 40

JBP55
05-30-2012, 00:55
No problem, shoot it.

curlysir
10-26-2012, 20:32
My Gen 4 G17 is doing the same thing. I was searching the forum for the problem when I found this thread. I wish I could find one of the older locking blocks. My Gen 2 G19 locking block shows no sign of this type wear with a lot more rounds through it.

BamaTrooper
10-27-2012, 08:31
My Gen 4 G17 is doing the same thing. I was searching the forum for the problem when I found this thread. I wish I could find one of the older locking blocks. My Gen 2 G19 locking block shows no sign of this type wear with a lot more rounds through it.

but would it fit? They made a change back then.

faawrenchbndr
10-27-2012, 08:37
Picture added to OP. I do use Hoppes on the barrel but nowhere else on the gun.

Normal wear.
Hoppes #9 will cause the plating to peel on the block & the frame
mounted slide rails.

curlysir
10-27-2012, 09:40
but would it fit? They made a change back then.

Sorry, I didn't word that correctly :embarassed: . I meant one of the earlier investment cast type locking blocks before they went to the MIM ones they are now using on the 3 pin models.

My locking block is actually flaking not just wearing off. Of all my Glocks it is the worst. The others have what I would say are normal wear. I will try to post pictures later today.

curlysir
10-27-2012, 15:51
Here is what my locking block look like:

AgentM79
10-27-2012, 15:56
Normal wear. And, Hoppes or not, the frame rails will eventually wear-through. Again, normal on newer Glocks (post-Y2K, anyway, but I'm not sure when the changeover took place from non-plated frame rails). No worries. Shoot the heck out of it. Proper lubrication will slightly mitigate rail wear, but it is inevitable.

curlysir
10-27-2012, 16:07
Normal wear. And, Hoppes or not, the frame rails will eventually wear-through. Again, normal on newer Glocks (post-Y2K, anyway, but I'm not sure when the changeover took place from non-plated frame rails). No worries. Shoot the heck out of it. Proper lubrication will slightly mitigate rail wear, but it is inevitable.

No Hoppes here, being the only Glock I have to do this, I like the OP was concerned when I first saw the flaking. Doing some searching I find unfortunately it is normal. I have a Gen 4 G23 and a Gen 3 G22 with the same type locking block and they do not show the flaking like the G17.

silversport
10-28-2012, 06:07
are those parts electroless nickel'd by GLOCK???

Bill

ALL GLOCK
10-28-2012, 18:38
I dont know how that can be "normal" ? Why is the plating coming off all the parts?? If it is normal, why do they even put the "nickel " coating over the copper?? Why not just make the parts copper to begin with??
I am glad I do not own a Glock newer than 2004... I have NONE of these problems. :(

silversport
10-29-2012, 04:15
is there copper under EN???

Bill

ALL GLOCK
10-29-2012, 05:09
is there copper under EN???

Bill

Good question... It is for sure a copper colored metal.

Keyhole
10-29-2012, 06:01
It's a weardown of the plating and, according to Glock, is normal and no problem. I had the same thing happen to the rails on my gen 4 34. I asked the Armorer's Course instructor about it and he gave the above answer.

GlockMaster10mm
10-29-2012, 13:46
My Gen3 G20 and Gen3 G22 and G19gen4 all have the same marks totally normal.

Arc Angel
10-29-2012, 14:37
I bet you're using Hoppes No. 9 to clean it?

Good call! :thumbsup:

Arc Angel
10-29-2012, 14:39
I dont know how that can be "normal" ? Why is the plating coming off all the parts?? If it is normal, why do they even put the "nickel " coating over the copper?? Why not just make the parts copper to begin with??
I am glad I do not own a Glock newer than 2004... I have NONE of these problems. :(

Another good call! :thumbsup:

(Why can't I ever find these threads again when I need one?)

Made in Austria
10-29-2012, 14:50
Good question... It is for sure a copper colored metal.

The locking block and a few other parts in newer Glocks are MIM parts which can rust pretty quick because the molden metal used for MIM parts has limited corrosion protection properties. The copper plating is needed to apply the nickel plating. The nickel plating would just flake off if you apply it onto MIM/bare steel parts without the copper layer. The nickel plating is meant for corrosion protection.

It's not a good idea to make such parts entirely out of copper since it's way too soft.

omega48038
10-29-2012, 15:04

It's the usual rationalization around here: It is common, therefore it is normal, therefore it is acceptable.

But it doesn't make it correct. Rails and blocks weren't designed to flake apart, no matter matter how often they do.

ALL GLOCK
10-29-2012, 16:10
The only flaking I ever had with my pre 2004 Glocks, was always the firing pin safety.. seemed like it happened to just about every Glock I owned. But that is a small replaceable part, and I never felt too bad about replacing them. I keep about 20 extras.
Flaking rails, and locking blocks, are not acceptable to me, so the only "new" business Glock will ever get from me, is...... none. I buy used Glocks, if I need one.
Hey if they are going to make them cheap, at least they could do is lower the price, to like $350, so it would be a "throw away" gun when it starts falling apart.

Maybe, Glock should start NP3ing the parts that flake?... But that would probably cost too much. :(

curlysir
10-29-2012, 16:41
The locking block and a few other parts in newer Glocks are MIM parts which can rust pretty quick because the molden metal used for MIM parts has limited corrosion protection properties. The copper plating is needed to apply the nickel plating. The nickel plating would just flake off if you apply it onto MIM/bare steel parts without the copper layer. The nickel plating is meant for corrosion protection.

It's not a good idea to make such parts entirely out of copper since it's way too soft.

Doesn't do much good if it wears off after a few hundred rounds.

I have 3 post 2000 Glocks 1 Gen 3 G22, 1 Gen 4 G23, and the Gen 4 G17 shown here. The G17 is the worst, the G22 and G23 show some wear but nothing like this. My Gen 2's and Gen 2.5 do not have this problem.

Made in Austria
10-29-2012, 16:55
Doesn't do much good if it wears off after a few hundred rounds.

I have 3 post 2000 Glocks 1 Gen 3 G22, 1 Gen 4 G23, and the Gen 4 G17 shown here. The G17 is the worst, the G22 and G23 show some wear but nothing like this. My Gen 2's and Gen 2.5 do not have this problem.

I know, but it's still better than nothing. The nickel protects areas which cannot be maintained/oiled because they are covered by the frame and other parts. The areas which show wear (where the nickel and copper is wearing off) should be cleaned and oiled on a regular basis anyway, to keep everything running smooth and rust free.

Gen2 Glocks don't show that kind of wear because those parts in gen 2's are not nickel plated, they are bare steel.

Arc Angel
10-29-2012, 18:09
You know, Glock, GmbH/Inc. has made so many cost efficient, 'improvements' to their pistols over the past ten years that, if they don't cut it out soon, the factory is going to have to change its name to something more descriptive of what Glock pistols have actually become.

You know. Something like, 'Hi-Point, GmbH'. ;)

ALL GLOCK
10-29-2012, 18:24
You know, Glock, GmbH/Inc. has made so many cost efficient, 'improvements' to their pistols over the past ten years that, if they don't cut it out soon, the factory is going to have to change its name to something more descriptive of what Glock pistols have actually become.

You know. Something like, 'Hi-Point, GmbH'. ;)

Glock, is not the only company that is cutting corners... All the gun makers are! :shocked:

silversport
10-30-2012, 04:36
I thought EN didn't use copper as a base metal...

Bill

kaech
10-30-2012, 05:26
Mine looks the same and it will only wear to a certain point and stop. It is normal.

^^yep..looks like my Glocks

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Arc Angel
10-30-2012, 18:59
Glock, is not the only company that is cutting corners... All the gun makers are! :shocked:

True!

(But I only care about the Glocks. Imagine if you were in law enforcement, right now; and had to carry one of these, 'newer' Glock pistols! Personally, I think that might give me a moment's pause! Real life ain't the Internet.) ;)

Bradd D
10-31-2012, 00:39
Will someone please post a picture of a rusty locking block, rail, or firing pin safety plunger as I can't seem to find one. Thanks.