Eating like the S has HTF week [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Eating like the S has HTF week

DoctaGlockta
05-30-2012, 12:34
In the past I have fasted for as long as a week. That was no food for a week. I did however drink watered down fruit juice and did 'eat' chicken and beef broth.

I must have had a bad brat or something on Memorial Day so I've been ill the past two days and haven't eaten. I think I'm going to go a week again and see how I do. Any calories I get will be from watered down fruit juice or bullion.

After the week I'm going to hit a SHTF diet of rice, beans and some scraps of meat and vegetables. Will pull the odd 'treat' out of my food stores but I'm going to keep it simple.

I'll keep my daily routine of work and exercising the same to keep my physical activity up.

Might as well see if I can do it now.

Will keep you posted.

If you have done the same or similar let us know.

cyrsequipment
05-30-2012, 14:41
Thanks for sharing, if I might ask...

What is your normal caloric intake?

I am debating on doing the same thing, just to use the opportunity to reset my appetite and start eating a lot healthier than I do now.

rilkil23
05-30-2012, 14:48
The bad brat part seems horrible but I am interested to see how you do. Energy level, mood, attention span, and so on. Good luck.

G29Reload
05-30-2012, 14:50
Yes. earlier this year.

I was gonna pull out 1/12 of my supplies and see if I could last a month.

On a pro-rata basis, i was fine. I was ok on half what I pulled out, for two weeks.

I gave it up and went back to normal at 2 weeks. I know I'll make it cause calorie wise I did fine and wasn't hungry or anything, but there was some monotony.

Monotony I probably won't notice in a real SHTF. It also seemed to be starch heavy, though that's what stores best. I did make some adjustments to my stores.

I do have canned meats, but heavy subsistence on them is only for life and death emergencies. SPAM may be calorie rich but its also fatty, greasy and loaded with nitrates.

I also wanted to go back to eating lots of fresh veggies. Canned will work, but nothing like fresh.

In a true SHTF/TEOTWAWKI, I would still be living like a king. and I have enough.

DoctaGlockta
05-30-2012, 14:57
Thanks for sharing, if I might ask...

What is your normal caloric intake?

I am debating on doing the same thing, just to use the opportunity to reset my appetite and start eating a lot healthier than I do now.

I'm not sure of my average caloric intake. If I were to guess it would be 2000-2500 calories. I don't eat breakfast, sometimes a small lunch if any and then a normal dinner. Sometimes a late snack.

I understand your reasoning for wanting to fast. I have used the same in the past. It does flush out your system. Tea has helped out in the past as well.

I recommend you do it. It gives one a far greater appreciation for food as well. After a few days you will be amazed at the reduction in cravings you have and you wonder why you ate so much in the past.

First couple of days are the toughest. Drink fluids, take something for your headaches that you most likely will get. Do the watered down fruit juice thing and the bullion - it will help.

I'm near the end of day two and feel pretty good.

Good luck.

Dexters
05-30-2012, 15:12
Several things you should consider during these test:
1 - take vitamins & minerals - that you should do normally
2 - have something available for constipation
3 - be aware of your water intake - don't drink less & don't drink too much you will deplete your electrolytes
4 - salt

DoctaGlockta
05-30-2012, 18:16
Yes. earlier this year.

I was gonna pull out 1/12 of my supplies and see if I could last a month.

On a pro-rata basis, i was fine. I was ok on half what I pulled out, for two weeks.

I gave it up and went back to normal at 2 weeks. I know I'll make it cause calorie wise I did fine and wasn't hungry or anything, but there was some monotony.

Monotony I probably won't notice in a real SHTF. It also seemed to be starch heavy, though that's what stores best. I did make some adjustments to my stores.

I do have canned meats, but heavy subsistence on them is only for life and death emergencies. SPAM may be calorie rich but its also fatty, greasy and loaded with nitrates.

I also wanted to go back to eating lots of fresh veggies. Canned will work, but nothing like fresh.

In a true SHTF/TEOTWAWKI, I would still be living like a king. and I have enough.

Do you mind sharing what caused the monotony and what changes did you make to your stores?

G29Reload
05-30-2012, 18:43
Do you mind sharing what caused the monotony and what changes did you make to your stores?

Probably the leaning towards bulk sizes, and apportioning meal sized lots of said bulk, but more importantly storing it long enough to its coming around again in rotation.

And just that there is an overwhelming variety in my regular daily diet, and practical space considerations prevent me from re-creating that variety in storage.

And that the most brutal, calorie intensive part of the year is the cold, chilly freezing winter when food will mostly be cooked, and that cooking hot meals in the portion of the year I was running the experiment in wasn't big on that. (IE, warmer weather isn't when I'd heat up the kitchen baking biscuits)

That's ok, really because in summer if a SHTF was unfolding, warm weather would give me more freedom of movement to hunt small game and cook it outdoors over a fire, and garden some.

Winter, you're indoors hunkered down trying to stay warm hence the heavier cooking ration, hot foods. Freezing cold, you're willing to eat about anything.

You would heat up a can of ravioli in winter, in summer, not so much. Same for pasta generally, how much spaghetti do you eat in summer vs winter? Winter, most of it hands down.

Dealing with it, mostly expanding canned veggies. Its so easy to store canned meat and starch, and when you eat them, yea! yummy! I'm full! need nap…

But that's not really healthy…you need greens, veggies. You don't want to survive the apocalypse only to die of colon cancer. That would totally suck.

Bolster
05-30-2012, 19:50
I am doing a "lite" version of a test, it entails lunch being "prep" foods. Almost every lunch is lentils and rice, and I'm learning a variety of ways of making them, figuring out what spices & etc to store.

Stevekozak
05-30-2012, 20:31
What do you do for employment? I would have to be on vacation to attempt this. I would be crapping my pants the first day of this diet/fast , which would not be conducive to staying employed.

kirgi08
05-30-2012, 20:52
Spices folks,make a huge difference.'08.

G29Reload
05-30-2012, 21:14
Spices folks,make a huge difference.'08.

Yeah, but not much.

I stock

garlic powder
crushed red pepper
curry
cumin
salt
pepper
onion powder

by the pound and numerous others.

Didn't change the situation I described. They make life more pleasant, sure, but not game changers. Important to be sure.

G29Reload
05-30-2012, 21:14
What do you do for employment? .

Home between consulting gigs. Made it easy.

kirgi08
05-30-2012, 23:21
Yeah, but not much.

I stock

garlic powder
crushed red pepper
curry
cumin
salt
pepper
onion powder

by the pound and numerous others.

Didn't change the situation I described. They make life more pleasant, sure, but not game changers. Important to be sure.

How much do you grow.'08.

:dunno:

Bushflyr
05-31-2012, 01:28
Not exactly SHTF stores, but we have done 100% locovore weekends. From things that we either grew or were grown in our area and that we can grow. Which is what we'd be eating if the SHTF anyway.

It's extremely light on carbs, no wheat, rice, or beans. Lot of fruit and greens. Tilapia from my pond, papaya (both ripe and green), taro, okinawan sweet potato, beets, chicken (feral, my dog caught it, so I cooked it.) avocado, guava, banana, lemon, lime, tangelo, oranges, watercress. For spices, we have lemon grass, papaya seed, sea salt, a couple different chilis, rosemary, basil, and a couple others I forget.

3 months of food in the closet is fine, but forever food in the garden is better.

Dog caught chicken dinner. (Ferals are pretty scrawny) With Choy Sum, and Okinawan sweet potato. (They really are that purple)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/bushflyr/IMG_4194.jpg

G29Reload
05-31-2012, 03:19
How much do you grow.'08.

:dunno:

Just got the garden started, raised bed.

Onions
Rosemary
Basil
Parsley
Jalapeno Peppers

My biggest canned production is for the basil. I grow a metric s#$load of it, then make it into pesto, pack it in empty mustard and spice jars and freeze it.

Plus I'm doing

Beauregard sweet potatoes (should yield about 60 lbs on the small batch I'm growing)
Fajita Bell peppers (mildly spicy)
Sweet bell peppers
German princess heirloom tomatoes (slicers)
cherry tomatoes
Cucumbers (excess will be pickled)

cyrsequipment
05-31-2012, 05:43
Well I started last night as well (although I forgot this morning and had a bit of cheese that I was packing in my kids lunchbox).

I am going to not be as intense as the OP and just drink gatorade (sometimes mixed with fiber powder because my cholesterol is another reason I am doing this), tea and other liquids and multivitamins.

I am not hopeful that I will last too awful long but maybe I can adjust my appetite so that I will be able to resist eating 10,000 calories a day in chips and grease...

DoctaGlockta
05-31-2012, 08:02
Well I started last night as well (although I forgot this morning and had a bit of cheese that I was packing in my kids lunchbox).

I am going to not be as intense as the OP and just drink gatorade (sometimes mixed with fiber powder because my cholesterol is another reason I am doing this), tea and other liquids and multivitamins.

I am not hopeful that I will last too awful long but maybe I can adjust my appetite so that I will be able to resist eating 10,000 calories a day in chips and grease...
Good luck.

I'm on the morning of day 3. Little light headed this morning but went for my usual run. I was dragging my ass but I was pushing a running stroller. Still feeling the repercussions of the bad brat on Mem day or perhaps a intestinal bug. No muscle weakness or pain. No hunger pains. And similar to the last time I did this cravings for food are almost non existent. It is amazing how your body reacts to no food. Have lost 6 lbs since the last time I weighed my self before the weekend.

DrSticky
05-31-2012, 08:04
Dog caught chicken dinner. (Ferals are pretty scrawny) With Choy Sum, and Okinawan sweet potato. (They really are that purple)

I think this brings up a big ethical question. Did you give your dog some?

DoctaGlockta
05-31-2012, 08:37
Not exactly SHTF stores, but we have done 100% locovore weekends. From things that we either grew or were grown in our area and that we can grow. Which is what we'd be eating if the SHTF anyway.

It's extremely light on carbs, no wheat, rice, or beans. Lot of fruit and greens. Tilapia from my pond, papaya (both ripe and green), taro, okinawan sweet potato, beets, chicken (feral, my dog caught it, so I cooked it.) avocado, guava, banana, lemon, lime, tangelo, oranges, watercress. For spices, we have lemon grass, papaya seed, sea salt, a couple different chilis, rosemary, basil, and a couple others I forget.

3 months of food in the closet is fine, but forever food in the garden is better.

Posting a photo like that in a thread where a few guys are going without food for days :whistling:

Looks delicious btw.

Bilbo Bagins
05-31-2012, 08:49
Look up the Survivor Diet.

You eat a small cup sized portion of beans and rice, and add anything you can find or catch. Basically your diet will consist of fish that you caught, if you are lucky any other meat you can find, along with fresh picked fruit & greens. They do it for 40 days but add a weekly "reward" Pig out binge meal.

http://www.survivordietchallenge.com/p/official-guidelines-for-challenge.html

I did something similar this weekend hiking. I ate mostly Mountain House for dinner, and one breakfast. The other breakfast was 2 packets of Oatmeal and poptarts, with coffee. My lunches were on the move with Cliff bars, jerky, and trail mix.

I try to weigh myself on a regular basis , every morning before I jump in the shower. My first weigh in post trip, after hiking 60 miles up and down mountains, and I actually gained a pound.

Glock30Eric
05-31-2012, 09:03

Cheers! That's the paleo diet!! Yummy!

Mr.Pliskin
05-31-2012, 09:21
Whats this rice and beans thing

Breakfast: Pancakes with Brown sugar syrup and re hydrated hash browns

Lunch: noodles and tuna

Dinner: Canned chicken with Parmesan and spices on home made wheat tortillas.

Desert: Rice with with reydrated milk, cinnamon and sugar

I think this SHTF week shouldnt be too hard.

Bilbo Bagins
05-31-2012, 12:24
Whats this rice and beans thing

Breakfast: Pancakes with Brown sugar syrup and re hydrated hash browns

Lunch: noodles and tuna

Dinner: Canned chicken with Parmesan and spices on home made wheat tortillas.

Desert: Rice with with reydrated milk, cinnamon and sugar

I think this SHTF week shouldnt be too hard.

Some preppers have a hard on for beans and rice, since you can buy it in bulk and store it in a 5 gallon bucket. Like you, I treat it like a supplement not a staple

When its the EOTW and all the preppers are eating there stored beans and rice, life will stink in more ways then one.

G29Reload
05-31-2012, 12:29
When its the EOTW and all the preppers are eating there stored beans and rice, life will stink in more ways then one.

Not really. If cooked properly and eaten regularly, that myth dies.

Rice and beans is good way to fill your belly. If it was game on and everyone else is starving, having a plateful of rice and beans would be a tasty relief. All you need is salt or hot sauce, easily storable in quantity. Carb energy, plant protein, easily storable, cheap.

Yes it pays to have more, but its a good mainstay.

Bilbo Bagins
05-31-2012, 14:07
Not really. If cooked properly and eaten regularly, that myth dies.

Rice and beans is good way to fill your belly. If it was game on and everyone else is starving, having a plateful of rice and beans would be a tasty relief. All you need is salt or hot sauce, easily storable in quantity. Carb energy, plant protein, easily storable, cheap.

Yes it pays to have more, but its a good mainstay.

Yea but at the end of the day you need a pound of rice and a pound of beans PER DAY, PER PERSON, just to get to an 1100 calories a day, near starvation diet. A pound of un-cooked rice is about 448 calories and a pound of uncooked pinto beans is about 600 calories.

Trust me 3 plates of beans and rice a day, you will not be full belly,tasty relief, good times land, but more like a slower form of starvation.

Again for me, Beans & Rice is a supplement to other high calorie / more expensive food items I have in storage, and other food I hope to hope to hunt/foriage/find.

I'm glad DoctaGlockta started this thread.

Bushflyr
05-31-2012, 15:51
A pound of un-cooked rice is about 448 calories and a pound of uncooked pinto beans is about 600 calories.

Check your sources again. A pound of uncooked rice is approx 1600 cals.

But I definitely agree that 3 plates of beans and rice a day is no way to live.

The reason so many preppers like them is that they're easy calories that store forever. They plan on hiding in their bomb shelters for months on end rather than walking out to the garden.

Bilbo Bagins
05-31-2012, 18:48
Check your sources again. A pound of uncooked rice is approx 1600 cals.

But I definitely agree that 3 plates of beans and rice a day is no way to live.

The reason so many preppers like them is that they're easy calories that store forever. They plan on hiding in their bomb shelters for months on end rather than walking out to the garden.

Ummm no, no where near 1600 calories. If that was true there would be a lot more fat asians.

Come on guys, this is S&P 101.

One pound of rice = 2.5 cups

One cup is a hair over 200 calories.

http://www.peertrainer.com/DFcaloriecounterB.aspx?id=6022

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5712/2

http://www.goya.com/english/nutrition/basics_rice.html

http://consciousparents.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Screen-shot-2012-03-17-at-2.35.32-PM.png

concretefuzzynuts
05-31-2012, 19:17
Did this. I figured why store food if I haven't tried it for a week. I ate from my "supply" for 10 days. No problems, Great food.

Babynine
05-31-2012, 21:03
Ummm no, no where near 1600 calories. If that was true there would be a lot more fat asians.

http://www.peertrainer.com/DFcaloriecounterB.aspx?id=6022

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5712/2

http://www.goya.com/english/nutrition/basics_rice.html

http://consciousparents.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Screen-shot-2012-03-17-at-2.35.32-PM.png
Maybe I am missing something, but the Jasmine white rice I keep around here and eat several times a week states 180 cal per 1/4 cup...thats 3x the calories that this chart states. The bag also states 3 grams protein per 1/4 cup rice.

Am I missing something? Or are the numbers on this chart for cooked rice?

Bushflyr
05-31-2012, 21:22

etc...

Those are cooked. You stated un-cooked.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_calories_in_one_pound_of_rice

racerford
05-31-2012, 21:22
Why all the hate for rice and beans? Have none of you red beans and rice? Rice and/or beans are a primary staple of many cultures. It is occaisionally supplemented with available animal proteins if available.

Rice and beans are inexpensive, and readily available now. While beans can be grown in many locales, rice is not the same.

Bread is essentially just wheat, as is pasta. Why not hate them?

Tomatoes? At my house they seem to be rabbit bait. Not a bad thing.

Babynine
05-31-2012, 21:32
Those are cooked. You stated un-cooked.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_calories_in_one_pound_of_rice
I don't store cooked rice:whistling:

DoctaGlockta
06-01-2012, 07:26
Day 4 update:

Still feeling pretty good. Little light headed after my morning run. Fueled up with some watered down juice. Did have some coffee as well. Picked up 2 dozen doughnuts for work and didn't really have an urge to take one. Mind seems clearer. Much more aware of surroundings, situations etc. Might be light headedness or perhaps the brain is functioning better without certain substances being in my system. Weight is down. I figure close to 9 lbs since Monday. I'll weigh myself after my noon workout and see.

At this point I can go for days. Past the difficult first part for sure.

Bolster and Cyrsequipment how are you blokes doing?

cyrsequipment
06-01-2012, 07:39

Doing well, but I cheated :crying: and ate a slice of pizza last night...

The weird things was that I wasn't "hungry" I just ate after I made dinner for my family and never thought twice about it.

So, I am guessing that my feelings aren't entirely accurate because I have food in me.

Mr.Pliskin
06-01-2012, 07:48
While I have a decent store of rice and beans I doubt I will ever have "rice and beans". The rice will either be fried with garden veggies, in stews or soups, in milk, or be a "bed" for a dish. The beans have tons of options as well. My favorite being cooked then simmered with pinto bean and steak seasoning....Amazing!
I am a HUGE fan of spices, I have a kitchen cabinet 3 shelves high that are packed full to the back of every spice I cook with "sam's size", I have duplicates on the ones I rarely use and alot more of my favorite use ones in storage.

Breakfast: rehydrated milk with mylar mini spooners cereal "it seems that cereal gets soggier faster with warmish milk"

DoctaGlockta
06-01-2012, 07:54
Doing well, but I cheated :crying: and ate a slice of pizza last night...

The weird things was that I wasn't "hungry" I just ate after I made dinner for my family and never thought twice about it.

So, I am guessing that my feelings aren't entirely accurate because I have food in me.

I made pizza last night for the kids too. Half cheese and half bratwurst.

Eating all the time or at certain times becomes a habit. You don't even think twice. Even if you are not hungry. I have found the same thing. When you think about it we really are conditioned in this culture to eat, eat, eat. Just look at all the adverts on tv or just drive down the road and see all the eateries that line the steets.

Don't let one slice bring you down. Honest, unconscious mistake. Think of it as a mulligan.

cyrsequipment
06-01-2012, 07:58
Eating all the time or at certain times becomes a habit. You don't even think twice. Even if you are not hungry. I have found the same thing. When you think about it we really are conditioned in this culture to eat, eat, eat. Just look at all the adverts on tv or just drive down the road and see all the eateries that line the steets.

Don't let one slice bring you down. Honest, unconscious mistake. Think of it as a mulligan.

Thanks. I am still going and I'm not gonna worry about it too much. My "normal" caloric intake is about 3k a day and I have maintained my weight at that level for about 2 years now, so anything less is an improvement. I also started working out a little bit yesterday and will hopefully use this as a changing point in my eating and exercise habits.

Dexters
06-01-2012, 08:04
. My "normal" caloric intake is about 3k a day and I have maintained my weight at that level for about 2 years now, so anything less is an improvement.

What do you do during the day to burn off 3k/day?

Avg man est is 2K/day.

If a person takes in an extra 100/day; they add close to 1 lb of fat/month.

cyrsequipment
06-01-2012, 11:37
What do you do during the day to burn off 3k/day?

Avg man est is 2K/day.

If a person takes in an extra 100/day; they add close to 1 lb of fat/month.

That is a very good question, I have no idea how I haven't gained a ton of weight.

I'm about 20-30lbs heavier than I want to be and have been for quite some time now, but you are absolutely right, I should be a heck of a lot fatter.

The reason I know my caloric intake is because I counted everything I ate for a month and came up with the average based on that. Some days I eat less than 3k some more.

Bolster
06-01-2012, 12:17

I'm not in the same league as Docta and Cyrs, I'm just eating "survival lunchies" which is wholesale cheating. It's pretty darned easy to have lentils and rice for lunch and not miss a beat...except be a tad hungrier for dinner. Kudos to you guys for manning up and doing the real deal.

Regards the calories in rice:

Rice, white, long-grain, regular, raw: 675/cup or 1690/lb
Rice, white, long-grain, regular, cooked: 205/cup or 512/lb

Short-grained has more calories.

quake
06-01-2012, 13:55
...A pound of un-cooked rice is about 448 calories and a pound of uncooked pinto beans is about 600 calories...
I think bushflyr is correct that we're mixing up our cooked & uncooked numbers. A pound uncooked translates to several pounds cooked, a cup uncooked translates to several cups cooked, etc.

I may be off on the numbers, but I thought for rice it was something like 600 per cooked pound but around 1600 per uncooked pound; something like a 2.5 to 1 ratio I thought.

May be wrong on the numbers or ratio or both; it's been a long week and I'm not going to go look it up. (But I finalized the numbers and orders on our largest project in several years - and our second-largest project ever - this week; so that's a good thing. :) )

...Again for me, Beans & Rice is a supplement to other high calorie / more expensive food items I have in storage, and other food I hope to hope to hunt/foriage/find...
Agree completely. Rice & beans to me is filler/basic/don't-starve food, not first-choice food for me personally; with the exception of lentils-and-rice mujadrah. That's good stuff that I like about as often as I can get it.

cyrsequipment
06-01-2012, 14:03
May be wrong on the numbers or ratio or both; it's been a long week and I'm not going to go look it up. (But I finalized the numbers and orders on our largest project in several years - and our second-largest project ever - this week; so that's a good thing. :) )

Congrats

DoctaGlockta
06-02-2012, 06:59
Day 5:

After morning workout.

Energy level is not very high. Some muscle aching/cramping. Still no hunger pangs.

I've lost 10 lbs since Monday and am now under 200. First time I've been under in about 15 years. Clothes looser already. Still keeping hydrated. Juice, tea, some coffee and water - along with a multivitamin.

How are you other guys doing with your experiments?

May start to eat again later today or tomorrow.

Dexters
06-02-2012, 07:32
Day 5:

After morning workout.

Energy level is not very high. Some muscle aching/cramping. Still no hunger pangs.

I've lost 10 lbs since Monday and am now under 200. First time I've been under in about 15 years. Clothes looser already. Still keeping hydrated. Juice, tea, some coffee and water - along with a multivitamin.

How are you other guys doing with your experiments?

May start to eat again later today or tomorrow.

A bit of caution on the weight loss - the average person carries around 6-8 lbs of poop - less if you eat a high fiber diet.

Also, water weight loss is a factor.

Think of it this way - 3,500 calories = 1 lb of fat. Over 5 days you would need to burn off 7K/cal/day to burn off 10lbs of fat.

Let's say you have been burning off 2k/cal/day or 10K cal - you've lost about 3 lbs of fat. I would doubt it is even that much because your body knows that your cal intake has slowed and slows down your metabolism.

Also, depending upon the rate of calorie and type of activity some of the calories you are consuming might be from your muscle protein. So, working out might be counter productive.

Take away - don't pig out after this experiment you may find you gained weight after eating.

To really see the effects on your body of a fast you need to calculate your ratio of fat to muscle before and after.

Bolster
06-02-2012, 10:07
I've lost 10 lbs since Monday

The weight loss seems alarmingly fast...

A bit of caution on the weight loss - the average person carries around 6-8 lbs of poop -

And there, in a nutshell, is why I read this forum. You never know what fascinating information you'll find.

concretefuzzynuts
06-02-2012, 10:20
the average person carries around 6-8 lbs of poop

Oh, I'll bet there's much, much more in some folks on GT.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

DoctaGlockta
06-02-2012, 10:48
A bit of caution on the weight loss - the average person carries around 6-8 lbs of poop - less if you eat a high fiber diet.

I haven't had a crap in days. I had a bug or bad brat Monday night. That pretty much cleaned me out.

Also, water weight loss is a factor.

I have been hydrating, watered down juice. I don't doubt however that some of that loss is HOH.

Let's say you have been burning off 2k/cal/day or 10K cal - you've lost about 3 lbs of fat. I would doubt it is even that much because your body knows that your cal intake has slowed and slows down your metabolism.

My routine is 4-5 mile run in morning. Lunch 30 minute hard spin on the cycle with some weight work as well.

Also, depending upon the rate of calorie and type of activity some of the calories you are consuming might be from your muscle protein. So, working out might be counter productive.

I understand regarding muscle loss. This is an experiment in SHTF - hurricane, earthquake where I will be physically active digging out my family or others, clearing debris etc.

Take away - don't pig out after this experiment you may find you gained weight after eating.

I've done this about 15 years ago so I'm aware of the rebound. Plan is to increase calories with stores in a few days. Get back into a healthy eating routine.

To really see the effects on your body of a fast you need to calculate your ratio of fat to muscle before and after.

Not really interested in weight loss or body fat %. Just mentally preparing for what might happen and how my body reacts. I'll be much better prepared to handle what comes my way.

Thanks for the feedback.

DoctaGlockta
06-02-2012, 10:51
The weight loss seems alarmingly fast...

And there, in a nutshell, is why I read this forum. You never know what fascinating information you'll find.

Actually down to 194 today after noon workout (when I usually measure weight - same scale as well). That makes it close to 13.

cyrsequipment
06-02-2012, 11:24
Well, I didn' last very long at all. I just finished eating a pasta salad my wife hid in my lunchbox. I couldn't eat too much of it at all, but I did eat.
I had been very weak and shaking. I am going to just try for reducing calories for a couple days.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

lawman800
06-02-2012, 16:02

You haven't been around SoCal lately, lots of fat Asians around. Oh, beans aren't an Asian food staple, but more Hispanic. But they also eat rice, just not the same type of rice as Asian rice.

In any event, beans and rice are easy stores, but if you didn't prep with some SPAM or other things to break it up, then you deserve to eat what you store. You chose to buy and store it, after all, knowing that is what you are going to end up eating, right?

concretefuzzynuts
06-02-2012, 19:07
You haven't been around SoCal lately, lots of fat Asians around. Oh, beans aren't an Asian food staple, but more Hispanic. But they also eat rice, just not the same type of rice as Asian rice.

In any event, beans and rice are easy stores, but if you didn't prep with some SPAM or other things to break it up, then you deserve to eat what you store. You chose to buy and store it, after all, knowing that is what you are going to end up eating, right?

Cans of: Spam, tuna, mackerel, salmon, beef in gravy.

Dried or smoked: beef jerky, turkey jerky, salmon, trout.

Nuts, raisins, dates.

Rotate stock every 6-8 months. Eat what you store.

Lone Kimono
06-02-2012, 21:52
If anyone has stored red or white wheat start eating it now...in SMALL portions. You won't be sorry down the road.

kirgi08
06-03-2012, 07:13
Digestive issues folks.'08. :toilet:

DoctaGlockta
06-03-2012, 10:09
Day 6:

Still just on juices, water, tea. Strength seems to be same.

Went camping with family last night. Morning trail run. Tried some
Gatorade yesterday and today and it was pretty satisfying. Will weigh later tonight. I suspect weight loss may be finished as a lot fell quickly.

May break fast tomorrow. See how I feel. Hope the rest of you guys are doing ok. Sorry to hear about your issues Kirgi.

Update: Broke fast this evening. Not due to cravings or anything but I think it is pointless to continue plus I've been hiding this from the kids for days and it was getting to cumbersome. I now have a good idea of what to expect after 6 days. I had about 1 cup of cooked rice, half a cup of cooked peas and less than a 1/4 oz of chicken. Will see how that sits tonight.

DoctaGlockta
04-18-2013, 13:28
Update:

Ok so it was about a year ago that I fasted. Fast forward to today April 18, 2013.

I have kept my caloric intake pretty constant. I splurge once in a while on weekends but I try to keep eating lightly during the week. Physical activity is about the same or a little more. I am trying to mimic hard labor as I would expect one would need to do in hard times.

As of today I am down to 185. I was around 210 when I started. My body fat is just below 10%. I have no idea what it was when I started.

As for calories I eat about 400-600 between breakfast and lunch. I'm guessing dinner and after dinner is about 1500. I'm still eating simple. Rice, a few vegetables, a little juice cut in half with water, lean protein (4-8 oz). Try to eat at least one fermented food/day - usually yogurt (which would not be available). I have cut alcohol out but sometimes if I'm short a fermented food I'll have a beer ;).

I'm pretty confident now that if things get dicey I can cut back a bit and still feel ok. Give my kids the extra that I'm not needing.

Good luck Gentlemen.