Read the news this morning and became quite unnerved. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Read the news this morning and became quite unnerved.

ConcealedG23
05-31-2012, 10:00
I just read the story of the shooting spree in Seattle. I was in the area at the time and knew nothing about it. Creeps me out a bit. I took my 6yo daughter that I homeschool to town as a field trip day. We hit up some small-ish businesses that manufacture their own goods as well as the Pacific Science Center. We were in very populated areas all day long with people all around. I donít consider myself as having my heads in the clouds so I found it a bit unnerving that I knew nothing of the rampage that was taking/did take place. Iím now left to wonder what I need to change. Should I start tuning into local radio every where I travel? Should I keep an eye on local Twitter feeds in the places I travel? Iím not real sure. Iím interested what people here have to say. Below is that article I read.

D

http://gma.yahoo.com/seattle-cafe-shooter-kills-5-self-citywide-manhunt-054328877--abc-news-topstories.html

Atomic Punk
05-31-2012, 12:25
im not to far from there. there is a parking garage in portland i use every week that has had several incidents this year.

keep your eyes and ears open, good luck.

Berto
05-31-2012, 12:32
I carry all the time, listen to 97.3 when in the truck.
You can't really do much more than that, other than keeping an eye on your surroundings and not taking your eye off of weird folks- which is nearly every other person in the U district.

G29Reload
05-31-2012, 12:35
this bothers me.

So does:

the BHO war on the catholic church

Bloomberg saying with a straight face that he is actively trying to outlaw softdrinks larger than 16 oz.

His, and Mont co MD COUNTY COUNCIL regulating trans fats in restaurants, telling them what they can sell.

The fed gov telling capital industries where they can locate

fed gov move to put drones in the skies over the US

the potential for socialized medicine to survive the court challenge.

And a list of others...:shocked:

Catshooter
05-31-2012, 18:56
Mr. Concealed,

Well you could move to some less populated place! :) There are still places in this country where people don't lock either their homes or their cars.

And you do carry always, right? And stay aware of your environment?

Don't know what else you could do except maybe stop reading the newspapers.

Cat

Jonesee
05-31-2012, 20:02
this bothers me.

So does:

the BHO war on the catholic church

Bloomberg saying with a straight face that he is actively trying to outlaw softdrinks larger than 16 oz.

His, and Mont co MD COUNTY COUNCIL regulating trans fats in restaurants, telling them what they can sell.

The fed gov telling capital industries where they can locate

fed gov move to put drones in the skies over the US

the potential for socialized medicine to survive the court challenge.

And a list of others...:shocked:

Can't you ever leave a thread alone and keep it on point without making a political statement.

And you can spare me your long winded diatribe of a response you have become known and loathed for.

pugman
06-01-2012, 08:05
Can't you ever leave a thread alone and keep it on point without making a political statement.

And you can spare me your long winded diatribe of a response you have become known and loathed for.

I think G29's point is you can be as upset and nervous as you want...in the end when its your time its your time. You can be diligent, environmentally aware, carry all the time and still get popped by a freak or hit by a car.

I visit an elderly lady every week - she's in her 90's. She knows I'm training for an event in September and one day out of the blue she just said "you know Pugman, when your running on the treadmill someone could come up behind you and shoot you in the head."

She's right.

And G29's post does make another point (at least to me)

If governmental intervention didn't prevent people from open carrying all the time would we still continue to hear about stuff like this? Put another way - in the 1800's did some guy walk into a saloon full of armed people and just start shooting randomly?

Didn't think so.

The Wizard
06-01-2012, 08:32
Just read this morning about the guy that tried to stop the attack by throwing chairs at the attacker and was killed. What would have been the outcome if instead of chairs he was throwing lead at high velocity?

Catshooter
06-01-2012, 09:56
pugman makes a valid point. Chances are you won't get out of this life alive.

Some things you can have some control over, some you can't. You live in Seattle where there is a huge earthquake just waiting to happen. There'll be zero warning and there could be tens of thousands killed if it does. In fact this quake is past due according to many geologists (as if they have a clue). And you're worried about getting shot? :)

Do what you can to mitigate the risks you can and carry on with life.

Cat

G29Reload
06-01-2012, 10:24

Who appointed you arbiter of all that is correct to post?

Blow it out your used piehole.

I only seemed to be loathed by lefty statists uncomfortable with the truth. I actually get occasional fan mail from the rest.

Reality. Deal with it.

thesurefire
06-02-2012, 20:06
I use twitter and facebook. Both are cellphone friendly. I do have to wade through some of my younger friends seemingly teenage drama, but that the price I pay for knowing about major events in seconds to minutes instead of hours to days.

Lone Kimono
06-02-2012, 21:49
The only thing I could suggest is that if you are religious pray before you leave your house. There really isn't much more you can do to avoid random attacks. By the time the news hits with something like that it's already too late. Hopefully, you are carrying and are able to defend yourself or your family. Our society really is turning upside down right now.