EOTWAWKI Survival Cart Collaboration Ideas [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : EOTWAWKI Survival Cart Collaboration Ideas

dennis3dflyer
06-01-2012, 04:25
I was thinking of what the perfect eotwawki Survival Cart would be like and if some how we could collaborate here online to design one or a few.

As a starting point I was think of a regular shopping cart but Larger where there was a:

SLEEPING AREA flat space man size where you could lay down off the ground and sleep say 3 ft wide by 7 ft long and you could put the sponge pad on and lay down and sleep and if you had those one person pipe type tent you could put it on that platform.

BACKPACK ATTACHMENT POINTS this is the main carry of stuff area where you could attach a few backpacks to the attachment points. If things go bad you grab backpack and run.

Cooler Area, A small flat area that holds a Cooler.

Cook Area, A small flat area that holds a very small stove.

Rifle and Pistol, attachment point for holster/pouch. and or small grab combat bag.

Dry Storage Area, the flat area where plastic tubs can be put and secured. Food and Water maybe in here.

Secure Area, Small Box Cage area that is lockable. for Cash, Gold,

Handle and or Harness Setup for Man or Men or Animal to push pull.

Conversion ability to be towed by car or motorbike.

Motorized accessory, Small motor with power wheel attachment to push cart.

Small Cart break off capability to go scout with and to carry back small stuff. Then it is added to main cart..

Foot Scooter breakoff part to use for foot scooter to use to scout. Distance runs fast.

Kevlar blanket side for some ballistic protection. Convertable for shade protection.

Of course weight is a big concern. the right wheels easy to push pull but long lasting wheels. correct diameter and with and thread. Turning ability.

Maybe some of you CAD/CAM guys or good Drawlers could post some good renditions.

Maybe some will attempt prototypes ?

Thanks, Dennis

Dexters
06-01-2012, 07:56
Thanks, Dennis

How much weight would it need to carry?

What volume of stuff would it need to carry?

Toyman
06-01-2012, 10:06
Okay, I'll play. I think from the sounds of it, it might be difficult to keep the weight down on this. But, here are some thoughts:

Sleeping area: I think if the cart was long enough, simply having a vertical pole at each end would provide a means to attach a hammock and tarp, things that you might already have in your pack. That provides getting off the ground, without the weight of a supporting deck for your body, and keeps the width to a minimum. The poles could be used to support the tarp while not sleeping, to rain proof/catch rain while traveling.

Cooler: Coolers are heavy, but if you used a soft sided cooler, you could attach it via straps just like a pack. Kind of not needed since you probably won't be finding ice.

Towing: Making something that could be towed by a car at speed would be difficult to keep the weight down. Best bet is to figure that if you have a car, put the stuff in the car.

Small Cart break off: Probably best to just use a pack for that. Lots of added weight without much added capability.

Rifle and Pistol: Definitely a shotgun mounted on the side in a case, pointed forward so it could be fired without drawing attention. Pistols pointed to the sides.

Foot Scooter breakoff: Possibly one that could be hinged down or attached at the back of the cart to "scooter/skateboard" it along instead of just walking behind it.

Also: Hand brakes for going down hills.

ArmoryDoc
06-01-2012, 10:11
Wheel barrow is much more versatile. Double-wheel model though. Easier to get around the more rugged terrain.

G29Reload
06-01-2012, 10:30
6' x 8' plain cargo trailer.

On a BO situation, towed behind your vehicle.

At a remote site or defensible area where you're finally low on gas, park it and use as a sleep shelter and starting point.

You're in out of the wind and rain,
Your stuff is dry.
You're not sleeping on the ground.
Attach a tarp to the top of the back with stakes for a "front porch"

Folding chairs, sleeping bag, camp stove, porta potty, tubs of food and med supplies, water containers. Side arm always on, rifle racked over head and ready.

HAve to bug out again, toss everything inside and roll.

Tim808
06-03-2012, 02:36
How about one of those convertible bike trailer/stroller thingies? Carries about 100lbs and you can push it or attach to a bike. I've heard some people go mountain biking with them attached.

UneasyRider
06-03-2012, 06:06
I would model mine after a rickshaw.

Bushflyr
06-03-2012, 11:28
http://images.travelpod.com/users/emmaandemma/1.1235734800.hand-cart-times.jpg

All your specialized attachment points tend to limit utility by reducing flexibility. As for the sleeping deck, I think you'd be better served by putting a tarp over it and sleeping on the ground underneath.

Nothing is new, all you have to do is look at any third world country, pick one based on the level of technology your TEOTWAKI has left and see how they do stuff.

HPFlashman
06-05-2012, 18:27
Be sure to make it armored and stick with a .22 for gunslinging.:whistling:

Sorry bout that, just had a horrible Gunkid flashback...:supergrin:

Nine Shooter
06-06-2012, 12:07
A lot of the transient/semi-homeless people who I contact at work use these type of bicycle trailers with a great deal of success in transporting their belongings. They also have setups with large Rubbermade totes on them too. I wonder if someone designed a storage/organizational system around these that could increase their carrying efficiency.

http://www.omgnews.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Naomi-Watts-12.jpg