55 + Communities as a Survival Community [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 55 + Communities as a Survival Community

dennis3dflyer
06-01-2012, 04:47
Here in Florida there are some Large 55+ Communities that seem like the perfect place to be if the situation here ends up like Ferfal talks about where High Crime and Low Employment and Inflation are the Main Concerns.

We have here SunCity Florida south of Tampa, and On Top Of the World next to Ocala , Where there is only 2 ways into the Homes with Manned Security at all times that is Paid and Roving Vollenteers in cars 24 hrs a day.

Some Homes can be had for 20 to 30 K.

OTOW has its own private owned internal Water Supply and Suncity has many Ponds , Lakes .

All things can be reached by electric vehicle, golf cart, even Hospitals. Grocery, ect

Both are surrounded by Farms.

Both have Planting areas. and clubs doing such.

Both have retired from all occupations Drs, Nurses, Military, Plumbers, Roofers, ect, ect.

Both have Gun Clubs, Am Radio Clubs, and Hundreds more clubs and activities to keep busy during bad ecomomy.

Communities are very close knit. You home is very protected by those living next door while your away.

Breakins are not heard of.

So in an Argentina type situation, for someone 55+ with out young kids these areas have something to offer.

I'm thinking of moving to OTOW in Ocala in 2 Yrs. and Having a friends small Farm as a BOL.

I did not consider the Villages as it seems too big and not secure. Its over 3 counties big I think.

What do you think?

Thanks, Dennis

kirgi08
06-01-2012, 09:06
Depends what type of consensus of like minded folk you have in any community.'08

Tim808
06-03-2012, 02:41
That doesn't sound like such a bad idea. Sounds like it would really keep out the undesireables if another area had to be evacuated.

I wouldn't mind moving to a 55+ comm when I retire.

phil evans
06-03-2012, 11:00
manned security will last till the first mobs reach the gate.
medications will run out or become bad due to lack of power.

neighborhood blocks sealed off by barricades is probably the best - much vested interest. diversity of ages better in blocks or subdivisions and more beneficial blue collar skill sets.

UtahIrishman
06-03-2012, 12:01
I'm 58 and I can't imagine spending my days being around old fogies my own age. The way to stay young is to be around younger people.

As far as security goes you are dependent on the guards at the gate. Plus you are boxed in. Like phil evans I think you are better off in a mixed community.

Wil Ufgood
06-03-2012, 13:10
Depends
http://d2dxu8bu10xsex.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/DEpend.gif

Akita
06-03-2012, 17:57
I've been to south Fla and you're screwed if you stay there in a true shtf unless you are a swamp rat.

Happypuppy
06-03-2012, 18:13
It is always better to be in a group than alone or just a few people. I had not thought of it but why not? A lot of potential upside

Sent from my 300 baud modem

Redheadhunter21
06-03-2012, 18:50
The problem with an older community is that they don't have the strength or ability to last for any amount of time under stressful situations. Don't think I'm bashing older people but there is a reason in a society you have a good structure of age. With a large amount being from 40 to 20. In an older community you may have plenty of knowledge but no working force, the majority of people have already started meds and will not be able to put in a full day of work.

TangoFoxtrot
06-04-2012, 04:18
Well if a major SHTF senario does occur your community will now need security because your $10/hr security guards are heading home to their families, their not sticking around. You also better have a alternate plan if these folks decide its every man for himself. Remember this is an unorganized bunch of middle aged or older people with no prep plans, organization or leadership to take over during a crisis.

dredglock
06-04-2012, 11:35
I live about 4 miles north of there . they would be formidable early on beforelack of meds and clean water crippled them there sewers would back up quickly and then there water would in those ponds would be toxic with feces, very little woods for fuel.
also down here the heat would kill off a bunch right off the bat those houses are great with air conditioning but not so good with out.

dredglock
06-04-2012, 11:42
Don't think those sun city folks can't defend them self's .
there armed and a great number of them are retired military
and they organize well at a drop of a hat plus there is a ton of well educated
skilled folks they have a lot to trade to outsiders

RWBlue
06-04-2012, 13:22
. The way to stay young is to be around younger people.

Very true

ChuteTheMall
06-04-2012, 15:05
Geezers can live indefinitely on Ensure.:fred:

Kayaker
06-17-2012, 13:06
I have considered this previously; a retirement location where everybody must already be a prepper/survivalist, etc. Some skilled and wealthy real estate developer could set this up in a good location, no 55 age limits, and everyone could benefit. A safe work and/or retirement situation for shtf, or even just a comfortable place to live.

G29Reload
06-17-2012, 13:13
Having lived in the Tampa area previously, I'd have to say its a mixed bag.

Gate communities are the bomb. Nice high walls? Focused entry/exit point? Great.

As for FL, it depends on the SHTF. Winter is great and above average survival odds, no killing cold of winter.

OTOH, no power in summer? Place will reek of dead bodies. FL can't keep those old folks ticking without AC.

AC civilized the South. Without electricity, you don't even have a fan! I could probably survive with a fan, but it would be rough.

Water is also an issue, south of I4. There's an aquifer running north of Tampa to points north, but they have desal plants to backfill shortages that exist NOW.

Depends what happens, what time of year, and duration.

A lot of crime in certain parts of FL. It could get rough.

Happypuppy
06-18-2012, 20:11
That doesn't sound like such a bad idea. Sounds like it would really keep out the undesireables if another area had to be evacuated.

I wouldn't mind moving to a 55+ comm when I retire.

+1. I hope to when my kids are done with college. I don't see the End Of The World vision as likely. Much more the Katrina , floods etc. a Community would be fine.... Electric golf carts, pot lucks and some old Vietnam vets with guns for security. Seems better than living in a bunker or some other hole in the ground to me. ;)

Sent from my 300 baud modem